Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:43:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773191
  • Total Topics: 66335
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 329
Total: 330

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Blood exposure  (Read 12697 times)

Offline liviu18

Blood exposure
« on: July 06, 2009, 05:37:30 am »
Hello ,

my name is Adrian, and you are my last chance, that my life come back to normal things. Sorry for my english.
Please answer to my questions. I'm starting to loose my mind. First of all, I'm obsessed with cleanliness,
and this is why I need your help.

1) 3 weeks ago I was in a public park restroom. Suddenly, a boy, hit me once (punch very hard) in my face. I had
4 fractured bones, and blood began flowing from the nose and mouth. It was only this punch. I ran out of restroom,
where my sweet wife, help me. She saw nothing on my cheek (blood or other liquid), not a scratch. Only an ugly under eye inflammation.
After this, she said that my risk is 0 (zero, nada, nothing). I'm thinking to all kinds of SF scenarious: when that guy hit, maybe he had blood on his hand, maybe urine, but I repeat, my wife so nothing on my right face. Skin was no broken. Maybe, possible blood from his hand, start to fly, and somehow get into my bloodstream, but I had no scrach on the face.

2)
 After that we went to ER room. I harvest my nails very often. While I was there, I saw several badly wounded men, without get into direct contact with one of them. I'm thinking that somehow I've touch the doorknod, and somehow I get blood on my fingers, and the put fingers in my mouth. When I was leaving a doctor gave me some prescriptions. I'm thinking that she was wearing glove, and that gloves were with blood, from all that injured people. But on that papers she wrote, my wife and I saw nothing what seems to be blood (red, orange...). She also gave me some radiological films that I've made. I'm thinking that she touched that films, and I come into direct contact with blood, and then putting my fingers in my mouth. But those films were touched even by my wife, and other doctors, and my wife told me that the films, seems to be clean.

3) After that we went to a dentist room, to check my face bones, and teeth. This is where I think I was exposed. This doctor, looked at the radiological films, that I've received from previous ER room, and then for some check-up, he put his index finger in my mouth, without wearing any gloves, EVEN IF AT THAT TIME I HAD BLOOD ON MY MOUTH.. My wife report me, that doctor began their night shift (and I was his first client), and that she saw he had the perfect manicure, and hands clean. He kept his finger in my mouth for about 4-5 seconds, and then I saw that he was very carefully keep this finger separated from his others 4 fingers, just like he want to clean his finger after our appoitment. I'm thinking that he had some scratch on his finger, or maybe blood..I'm paranoid about this; but my wife is sure the doctor had his hand clean.

I've talk to my wife about these possible exposures, and she honest said to me that these were not exposures, and my risks are 0.00000.
She even told me, that if she think that I was exposed to some blood, she forced me to wear condoms, when practice sex; but she thinks that I'm fine, and I couldn't get HIV from what I've described you.

I really need you honest opinion, to help me continue with my life.

Do I need to test for HIV?

Adrian

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Blood exposure
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:53:29 am »
Adrian,

Your wife is correct. You have NOT had a risk for hiv infection in any of the scenarios you present. Even if there were blood present, you still had no risk.

Hiv is a very fragile, difficult to transmit virus. It is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies. Once hiv finds itself outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. Hiv is NOT transmitted from objects in the environment.

As for the dentist putting his finger in your mouth, saliva has over a dozen different proteins and enzymes that damage hiv, again rendering it unable to infect.

Nothing that happened to you, either getting punched or the resulting exams at hospital put in you any risk for hiv whatsoever. NO RISK.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline liviu18

12 weeks anti-body
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:34:39 am »
One question:

Is ok and final, a test done exactly at 12 weeks, using an antibody test using ECLIA technology (HIV 1/2 + antigen)  ??? Test is a fourth generation test.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 03:37:01 pm »
Yes, that is a final and reliable result. You are HIV negative.

I have merged your threads. Should you have occasion to write here again, please follow our rule and keep all of your entries in this same thread.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 03:43:52 am »
Hello,

just one last question.....

Will antibiotics (20 days of antibiotics), affect the window period or the test result ?

Will a  X-ray performed on head and a Computed tomography (CT) scan of the head, affect the window period or the test result ?

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 03:54:06 am »
john_79, the answer is still NO.

Offline liviu18

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 07:30:36 am »
Thank you...Andy, Ann, pls, I need you answer also...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 07:43:56 am »
No, neither the antibiotics nor the x-rays would not extend the window period nor would they prevent you from having received an accurate HIV test result.

You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.  

If you can't let go of this unwarranted fear you are experiencing, then see a counselor or other professional to get help. We can't help you with that in this setting. All we can say without a doubt you are HIV negative.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:46:09 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

corticosteroids - window period
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 01:14:26 pm »
Andy, Ann, sorry to bother you again...pls answer to my questions.

I write you in details, to see if one of next taken drugs will affect my window period or test accuracy.

1)  my eye was with blood on it, so I received next medicine:
          1.1) TAROSIN (rutosidum)   - food supplement  - NO affect ....?
          1.2) VITAMIN C             - NO affect ...?
          1.3) INDOCOLLYRE - eye solution -  NON steroidal anti-inflammatory - NO affect ...?

2) AUGMENTIN (5 days) - antibiotics -  NO affect on window period or test at 12 weeks, right?

3) after 4 weeks I've done Otitis on my right ear, swiming in thermal water.
Doctor give me next drugs:
                3.1) Doxycycline (7 days) antibiotics - NO affect on window period or test at 12 weeks, right?
                3.2) Aponil (NIMESULIDUM)  (20 tablese) - non steroidal anti-inflammatory ... NO affect ..?

3.3) Rhinocort Aqua spray  (for nose, 2 times / day ) - 2 weeks - corticosteroids  ???? Here is my question...Rhinocort  Aqua is a corticosteroids, ?????   

3.4) ciplox (ciprofloxacin) - ear solution...NO affect ...right?

4) All these medicine, combine, have NO affect on window periiod or test results?

I have that corticosteroids   can have some delay...is true?

Is my 12 weeks test accurate and definitive?

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 01:59:54 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 02:10:37 pm »
liv,

NONE of the drugs  you've taken, including the corticosteroids, will affect the window period.

You do NOT have hiv. You never had a risk in the first place. Even if you did, you are still conclusively hiv negative.

And by the way, if you attempt to create a new account again, you will be permanently banned. If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you would know that creating extra accounts is a bannable offense.

Keep posting about this NO RISK incident and you WILL be given that time out Rodney warned you about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline liviu18

Thank you
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 06:04:41 am »
Ann, Andy, Rod, thank you very much for your support, advices, and your time.

God bless you all.

All the best.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 01:38:53 pm »
You're welcome. Now, get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

drinking from the same glass
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 04:26:10 pm »
Hello,

last week I was to dinner to some friends. At some time, from mistake I drank Coke, from a glass which wasn't mine (maybe 2 minutes after it was used by other person). This glass was used by a lady around 50 years old, with poor hygiene in mouth. 

Is there any risk  (teoretical or real)?  I'm thinking that maybe, there was some blood on the glass from lady mouth.  But when I was leaving the house, I checked that glass to see if there was something suspicious, and I saw nothing of blood's color (red, brown, orange), on the glass.

Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 04:37:56 pm »
Adrian, I have merged your threads. You need to follow our rule which is that you keep all of your entries in the same thread.

You have been here often enough in the past to know that your latest fear about HIV from drinking from someone else's glass has no basis in HIV science. HIV is a fragile virus and is not transmitted from environmental surfaces. Read our lesson on transmission. You can find a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

There is no cause for further concern nor of course for testing or for drama about this. Get on with your life.  
Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

toothbrush
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2010, 02:26:20 pm »
Hello Andy,

2 days ago by mistake I have used a toothbrush that wasn't mine. I think that I've used about 4-8 hours after owner. My wife said NO RISK. Are u agree?

Thank you

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2010, 02:30:14 pm »
No risk.

Offline liviu18

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2010, 04:46:02 pm »
you say that after 4 hours is not a risk?   In the previous post I want to say between 4 to 8 hours, not 48 hours (2 days)....

so not risk?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 04:56:50 pm »
It wouldn't have mattered if you had used it right after the other person.

You've been coming here long enough to know that. You need to apply the information that has been given to you previously to new situations in your life. We're not here to hold your hand everytime you have another burst of HIV fears.

Re-read the lesson on Transmission. And get on with your life.

Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 05:12:54 am »
Hi Andy,

you are right ... always ...always ....

Thank you for the support,

Cheers,

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2010, 07:25:43 am »
And I am going to warn you that if you come back again with another of these non-risk scenarios about which you have been repeatedly informed, then you will receive a 28 day Time Out from the site.

Consider yourself warned.

Apply the information you have received to experiences in your life as they occur. We're not here to hold your hand each time you have another one. Just use condoms everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse and you will be well protected against the sexual transmission of HIV.

Remember, you have been warned.
Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2010, 12:20:59 pm »
Thank you for your time and for providing all the valuable information to some very

worried an anxious people, including myself. I have read the forum on food and not

getting infected, but most has to do with cooking food or blood in fluid, not blood on

food eaten within SECONDS that was not heated.

Here is the situation:

I went to a party and a friend of mine had a large open cut on his left hand about 30

minutes old (near the watch area), that was not dry, so the blood was visible, no

band-aid. At some moment, he open an orange fruit, and give me half of it (about 4

slices). I am concerned because I ate the fruit which may have had blood on it and I have

a canker sore in my mouth on the side of my cheek. Also, I have gastritis, so

inflammation in the esophagus and stomach from acid reflux. Is there a risk of

transmition this way, if in fact my friend was infected and got his blood on the fruit 

and I ate it right after he handed it to me? I saw him scrating his injure. Do you think

this requires testing for HIV? Am I worrying needlessly?

Thank you.

Sorry, but now you can give a timeout, but pls answer

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2010, 12:46:01 pm »
You ought to know by now that HIV is not transmitted from environmental surfaces nor from food, liquids, doorknobs, nicks at the barbershop or any such.

Other than sharing needles for intravenous drug use, risk for HIV is strictly about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Use condoms for those activities and you'll be fine.

You need to apply the information that has been given to you here to new situations as they come up. If you return again for a non-risk situation you are definitely going to get a Time Out.
Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2010, 11:26:44 am »
OK,

but may you give me a logical explanation why this is not a risk?
I mean blood on food after seconds, that was eaten?

Cheers,

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2010, 11:36:33 am »
HIV is a very fragile virus. When exposed to air it is very, very quickly not viable.

We are not your personal reference source anytime you have another burst of anxiety or experience. We've given you the basics about how to protect yourself.

I am giving you a 28 day Time Out from the site that you have been warned about. Don't make the mistake of trying to get around the TO by creating a new name for yourself. We'll spot that right off and it will get you permanently banned from the site. 

Get on with your life and apply the information we've given to you as you have new experiences.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 11:38:21 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline liviu18

touch syringe needle
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 08:19:02 am »
Hi again,

is there any risk if I touch the USED needle of a syringe (the metal part) with my hand ?  I found this needle in garden, and have no idea from where it comes. I remember that at that time I had no injure, and after I throw the needle in the garbage collector, I check my hand and see no blood. I didn't remember to scratch with that needle.

any risk?

Thank you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 09:18:03 am »
You ought to know by now that HIV is not transmitted from environmental surfaces nor from food, liquids, doorknobs, nicks at the barbershop or any such.

Other than sharing needles for intravenous drug use, risk for HIV is strictly about unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Use condoms for those activities and you'll be fine.

You need to apply the information that has been given to you here to new situations as they come up. If you return again for a non-risk situation you are definitely going to get a Time Out.

Enough is enough. We're not here to have to reply everytime you have another irrational thought about a risk such as "touching" a needle. I'm giving you a Time Out for 56 days. Don't make the mistake of trying to get around it by creating a new name. We'll spot that right off and it will get you permanently banned. Get on with your life and stop this HIV drama.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:28:09 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:33 am »
liv,

You've already got two accounts and I rejected a third that you tried for earlier today. You are now permanently banned.

You've got to stop this obsession with blood and hiv. I suggest you consult a therapist.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.