Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:43:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773274
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 374
Total: 375

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tingling under skin  (Read 3719 times)

Offline noregrets

Tingling under skin
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:37:53 am »
Hi everyone,

In the past week or so I've developed a tingling in my chest kind of like "pins & needles" under the skin.  One day last week I wore a new shirt to work without washing it first & all day I thought maybe the shirt was irritating my skin.  Well, I got home & changed clothes & I'm still having the same sensations a week later.

It doesn't really hurt & it's not painful, it's just "uncomfortable" & always there.  There's nothing noticeable that you can see & it "looks" fine, just tingly all the time.

I did a little research tonight & there's something called HIV-related Peripheral Neuropathies.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm wondering is this might be a side affect of the Atripla?  I've been on it almost 4 months now & it's been doing so well (my VL is down to 80 from 300k+ when I started), I'd hate to think this is my first negative side affect.

Thanks in advance for any info!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 01:39:33 am by noregrets »
Joey

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Diagnosed:  Dec. 15, 2011
Jan. 2012:  CD4 - 584, VL - 104,000
July 2012:  CD4 - 435, VL - 265,000
Sept. 2012:  CD4 - 252, VL - 307,000
Started Atripla:  Oct. 2, 2012
Nov. 2012: CD4 - 563, VL - 8,440
Jan. 2013: CD4 - 540, VL - 436
April 2013: CD4 - 369, VL - 109
July 2013: CD4 - 721, VL - Undetectable (finally!)
Nov. 2013: CD4 - 795, VL - 21
Mar. 2014: CD4 - 759, VL - Undetectable
July 2014: CD4 - 586, VL - Undetectable
Dec. 2014: CD4 - 827, VL - Undetectable
July 2015: CD4 - 670, VL - Undetectable
Dec, 2015: CD4 - 855, VL - Undetectable

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Tingling under skin
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 01:54:27 am »
What you describe ha absolutely nothing to do with PN. Not only are the current crop of drugs not associated with PN, but the very symptoms you mention are not diagnostically similar to Peripheral Neuropathy- as PN impacts the peripheral parts of the body - fingers, toes, et al - not the chest.

PN is, outliers notwithstanding, an issue that currently diagnosed and treated HIV'ers will likely never endure.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 01:54:54 am »
I think neuropathy is usually in your feet, sometimes your fingers. Not in your chest. Discuss this with your doctor.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 05:48:12 am »
I can only repeat the good advise the guys have already given you.

Patients present with a tingling sensation and numbness, or neuropathic pain, this normally starts in their toes and spreading towards the end of the bones, i.e fingers and toes, the pain frequently is described as burning or aching and is normally worse on the soles of the feet.

Also the risk of PN is higher for patients with advanced HIV infection, I'm not sure how long you have been infected but my guess would be not that long.

Talk to your Doctor is you are worried about this.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 09:51:30 am »
PN usually starts in the toes and feet and can work its way up.  My doc and Neurologist agree that something in the Atripla caused the nerve damage in my feet after having been on it for about 8 months.  Everything else was ruled out for causation such as vitamin deficiencies, Diabetes and etc.

I was switched off of Atripla to the meds i'm on now and it has gotten much better, it got worse before it started getting better.  I no longer have to take neurontin and/or pain meds for the pain in my feet.  Its not a 100 percent by no means, but i can now wear shoes and walk without being in horrible pain.

I don't want to scare you away from Atripla, its true that it doesn't happen to 90 percent of folks, but it can happen even with the new meds.  I'm almost certain what you have is not PN, probably just something else going on.

My HIV doctor says that almost everyone with HIV at some point with experience neuropathies, some folks aren't aware of the symptoms because its not bad, while others have real issues.

Either way see your doctor if it continues.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:09 pm »
Hi everyone,

In the past week or so I've developed a tingling in my chest kind of like "pins & needles" under the skin.  One day last week I wore a new shirt to work without washing it first & all day I thought maybe the shirt was irritating my skin.  Well, I got home & changed clothes & I'm still having the same sensations a week later.

It doesn't really hurt & it's not painful, it's just "uncomfortable" & always there.  There's nothing noticeable that you can see & it "looks" fine, just tingly all the time.

I did a little research tonight & there's something called HIV-related Peripheral Neuropathies.  Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm wondering is this might be a side affect of the Atripla?  I've been on it almost 4 months now & it's been doing so well (my VL is down to 80 from 300k+ when I started), I'd hate to think this is my first negative side affect.

Thanks in advance for any info!

What you describe sounds very similar to what I've experienced in the past.  While I was on Atripla when it started, I don't think it has anything to do with it because I still get it from time to time and I no longer take Atripla.

It feels like someone is taking sandpaper across your skin, and while somewhat painful, it's mainly annoying.  I've had episodes where it has kept me from falling asleep, so it can get pretty bad at times. 

One of my friends says he gets it at times too, and he's not even positive.  He attributes it to getting old.....

I wish I had an answer for you.....  it goes away after a few days and I find Motrin helps.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.