Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:07:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 348
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: RADIO SHACK  (Read 7695 times)

Offline weasel

RADIO SHACK
« on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:11 am »
Christmas is coming .

Stay away from Radio Shack .

They do NOT back any of thier products !

It is an awful corporation to deal with !

Took me NINE  months to get a replacement  LAP-TOP , and IT did NOT seem to be new  :o

The ONLY reason I got any satisfaction is because I got to the Corporate level  :o

Happy Shopping .

karl
" Live and let Live "

Offline Graywolf

Re: RADIO SHACK
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 05:07:39 pm »
Ahhh Rat Shack one of my fave subjects. I worked on one of the stores for 4 years (71-75) part time during college, mostly doing repairs in the back room. They actually did have "some" good stuff back then, but mostly marketed at the rusting pickup truck in the driveway trailer park set who always voted Repuglican.

During busy times I was called to help on the sales floor and RS regularly sent undercover spook shoppers to see if we were selling up. like when they had 4 packs of D cells in sale and also had a DeLuxe 27 band am/fm/sw/police/TV/CIA/UFO portable radio complete with built in flashlight radar detector, police siren, 8 track player can opener and Swiss army knife all in one. I always got in trouble with the spooks for not selling whatever the battery operated doo-dah du jour along with batteries.

I was one of the rare sales techno geeks who knew what he was talking about. I could write a book about many of the customers who failed the Darwin test that dropped in.

In some ways I'm amazed the Shack is still around, since every one I have dropped in is usually empty and the sales people are still like piranna when a customer enters. In a pinch I will grab a cable or connector there and many times the sales drones don't understand what I'm looking for, like how hard is it to understand "I'd like a 6 foot S-Video cable" or a "1/8" stereo phone plug to RCA male or female cable"

I do enjoy playing with the drones, like asking how a boombox puts out 250 Watts (or as one sales person said "250 amps") per channel running on 8 D cells, maybe if it took a direct lightning strike.
"If we don't learn to live as brothers, we will perish as fools" - Dr martin Luther King Jr

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 08:23:19 pm »

And if your planning on shopping at Circuit City, better hurry, I hear they are planning on closing some stores soon. I was wondering how much longer Circuit City had left...

Ray

Radio shack is crappy !!
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 08:32:54 pm »
And if your planning on shopping at Circuit City, better hurry, I hear they are planning on closing some stores soon. I was wondering how much longer Circuit City had left...

Ray

Radio shack is crappy !!

Bestbuy, Circuit City, Raidoshack, Comp USA, Office Depot, Office Max, Staples.....they are all Crappy, and sell OVERPRICED JUNK  ??? to unsuspecting FOOLS who buy anything form them.........I hope they all go outta-business  ??? We have 10  Walmart Super centers here in Albuquerque...why so many I haven't clue  ??? Walmart really loves this town, for some reason?    low wages and cheap labor I guess?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:02:26 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline SteveA

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:24:43 pm »
If you KNOW what you're looking for you can get great buys at Circuit City and Best Buy! My favorite are the "Returns and Open Box" items that are perfectly fine, especially computers! You can practically steal em' at the marked down prices!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 08:58:21 am »
If you KNOW what you're looking for you can get great buys at Circuit City and Best Buy! My favorite are the "Returns and Open Box" items that are perfectly fine, especially computers! You can practically steal em' at the marked down prices!

I never really had a complaint with Best Buy. Circuit City, on the other hand is extremely overpriced. I agree with you.  You just got to shop around for those deals.

This was the story about the Circuit City store closings :

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081103/ap_on_bi_ge/circuit_city_store_closings
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2008, 09:33:50 am »
There are two different types of Radio Shack stores, the bulk of them are now corporate owned stores, and still a minority of privately owned franchises.  Those that are privately owned are still the best place to find electronics supplies for those of us who don't live in a large city.  As for consumer electronics; the Radio Shack line is no different than the rest of the planet:  "MADE IN CHINA"!!!  I still like two of the RS stores in our town, because they are private franchises.  One specializes in computer electronics, and the other one specializes in high end audio and video equipment, along with loads of electronics supplies to build your own stuff.  The other four stores are corporate owned and are pretty much useless for anyone who has any electronics knowledge, because the attendants are simply ignorant.

Best Buy now has the Geek Squad, but to get anything, including warranty service, you first have to pay for them to put on their black ties and leave the store.  What a load of crap.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2008, 09:59:06 am »
Circuit City in Greensboro smells funny.

Offline SteveA

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 11:22:59 am »
Best Buy now has the Geek Squad, but to get anything, including warranty service, you first have to pay for them to put on their black ties and leave the store.  What a load of crap.

That's where being your own geek squad comes in handy.  ;D

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 12:00:17 pm »
I bought a new phone at Radio Shack once because it was real cheap.  Well, it was in it's box and sold as new and at their low regular price.  There was a message on the answering machine letting Lucille know the book she wanted at the Public Library was ready to be picked up.  Some function of that phone didn't work so I took it back with a little complaint.  The store manager found a real new phone just arrived at the store.  It still works but I have never been back.  When I want thrift store merchandise, I will go to the thrift store  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline HIV+Me

• HIV + Me
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 10:29:39 am »
I just wanna know... does Radio Shack even still sell radios?  (I'm not including clock radios or things like that.)

Chris

Offline weasel

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 10:52:59 am »
yes they do sell some RADIOS !

Moffie , I am glad you are HAPPY with private owned Radio Shacks !

I MUST assume you do NOT live in Missouri                LOL

these private stores are THE BIGGEST RIP OFF I HAVE EVER SEEN !

THE ONLY REASON I USED A RURAL STORE
                                     WAS TO SUPPORT LOCAL ECONOMY !

" THEY HAVE NO CORPORATE CONTROL "
                                      THEY CHARGE BY WHAT KIND OF VEHICAL YOU ARE DRIVING !
                                      THIS ONE DOES A CREDIT CHECK ,
                                       WHEN YOU USE A CREDIT CARD  :o   

Mine is a nice fequer  :P

I WAS OVER CHARGED $300.00 DOLLARS !
                                      AND TWO DAYS LATER WHEN THE USED COMPUTER
                                      THEY SOLD ME DID NOT WORK !

THEY SAID  "GO AWAY ! ,WE DID NOTHING ELLIGAL !"     

I WILL NEVER BYE ANYTHING AT RADIO SHACK ,

MAYBE A WIRE ?

YES THEY DO NOT KNOW WHAT AN  R.C.A.  PLUG IS  ::)   

Karl

I will drive to Saint Louis when I buy my new T.V.

I meen SANTA will be SHOPPING  in Saint Louis  :)
" Live and let Live "

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 04:18:36 pm »
why all the shouting weasel?

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 04:39:41 pm »
A long time ago a couple bought a radio station in our town, Their names were Gil and Goody, they were new in town.  Gil had bragged about the new television antenna he bought at Radio Shack and called it "high end".  Everyone laughed.

In order to increase the listening audience of the new radio station, Gil designed and built "translators" for the surrounding hills to improve frequency in the valleys.  The first one fell during a storm, pictures were taken.  Gil and Goody have a sense of humor as the picture was framed and hung in the production studio of their station with a sign, "Gils Erection"  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 05:30:04 pm »
There's a chain of Circus City type stores here in NYC named PC Richard. They kind of suck too. Y'know I wonder if these TVs and such are meant to croak after awhile. I mean, imagine if a TV lasted for 40 years in top condition? These stores would lose out on a lotta $$

I just bought a Toshiba 22" flat screen with built in dvd for my bedroom and I reeeally wonder how long it will last.  >:(

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 06:48:25 pm »
I just bought a Toshiba 22" flat screen with built in dvd for my bedroom and I reeeally wonder how long it will last.  >:(

Before the Staff Nurse at our HIV clinic retired last year. he was complaining that his TV broke and he did not want to buy a new one...

ME: Sony Trinitron?
NURSE: Why yes, how did you know?
ME: Because a long time ago, the Sony Trinitron was THE TV as was the Mazda Miata, your car, I just put 2 & 2 together, call it a lucky guess

I had a shopping spree at Circuit City and bought a Zenith TV, a Zenith VHS, a Sony Cassette player and Direct TV, not knowing I would be hospitalized with PCP and disabled.  That was over 12 years ago and everything works except the Direct TV because I canceled the subscription.  Now, Direct TV provides their own equipment and I have receiver in a box with no resale value.  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 07:05:57 pm »
In my humble opinion, Radio Shack is american like apple pie and A & P. If it goes, it will be a sad day. God bless you and all the nerds who worked and shopped there for decades.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 08:47:57 pm »
Agreed mecch.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 09:06:14 pm »
In my humble opinion, Radio Shack is american like apple pie and A & P. If it goes, it will be a sad day. God bless you and all the nerds who worked and shopped there for decades.

I stopped shopping at RADIO SHACK well over 10 yrs ago. I actually had a RR-credit card, but when Montgomery Wards went under, they had the same Bank, as RR did (Hurley State bank) so did my RR
credit card, it was kinda embarrassing when I went into RR to buy something, and the clerk told me, "Oh we don't honor them cards anymore" do you have another one  ??? the same thing happened at
Montgomery Wards when I wanted to buy some shoes or something  ??? right before they closed.....RR is still open tho, and now they use GE-Money bank as their Creditor.......
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 09:11:38 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline weasel

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2008, 10:17:58 am »
why all the shouting weasel?

I do not take it lightly when a huge Corporation as Radio Crap WALKS  all over people

They LIE , they are rude and crude right down to the Corporate level !

No body should support such a hateful and selfish Corporation !

I was  wrongfully  sold a USED  lap-top !
   and it DID NOT WORK ! EVER !

and it took  NINE MONTHS  to get a replacement , THAT BY THE WAY, IS ALSO USED !

MY POINT IS TO SAY  : SUPPORT GOOD STORES !, NOT CRAPPY ONES !

Love to all , WE work hard for our money
                                                and no one should SCAM US !

Karl

P.S. I am never even going to buy a wire at Radio Crap !

" Live and let Live "

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2008, 10:44:57 am »
I do not take it lightly when a huge Corporation as Radio Crap WALKS  all over people

They LIE , they are rude and crude right down to the Corporate level !

No body should support such a hateful and selfish Corporation !

I was  wrongfully  sold a USED  lap-top !
   and it DID NOT WORK ! EVER !

and it took  NINE MONTHS  to get a replacement , THAT BY THE WAY, IS ALSO USED !

MY POINT IS TO SAY  : SUPPORT GOOD STORES !, NOT CRAPPY ONES !

Love to all , WE work hard for our money
                                                and no one should SCAM US !

Karl

P.S. I am never even going to buy a wire at Radio Crap !

I have not been in a Radio Shack since I was 9 years old.  That Christmas my parents bought me a remote control car and I could not wait to hit the road.  As it went down the front walk the left front tire went one way and the car went the other.  My dad always said he would take it back, but he never could find the time to do so because it would have interupted his task of polishing off 4 cases of beer on his weekends off.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline weasel

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2008, 04:00:37 pm »
hey  bryonut  :)

sorry , i got a PM

i was  politely told i was being rude !

i am sorry , i do not meen to be rude

I did forget that i should never use upper case  :o

do except my apology

i  LOVE  these forums  :-*

Karl

p.s.  no R.S.
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.