Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:45:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 384
Total: 387

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: help please  (Read 47615 times)

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: help please
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2007, 10:48:22 am »
SO let me get this straight.  Experts who are well versed in the subject of HIV transmission have repeatedly told you that you were not at risk in the incident you described and you ignore them.

Some guy who no one knows, tells you he tests positive from a herpes sore over 17 years ago and tells you that you should be very afraid AND YOU LISTEN TO HIM?

Does this sound even REMOTELY rational to you?

In spite of this irrationality, the MAIN reason you didnt get infected through your cold sore is that it wasnt in contact with any infectious fluids!  Even if you went DOWN on her your lips didnt make their way up to her cervix which is where the infectious fluid would be.  But please dont take our word for it, ask Brian and see what he thinks.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline johno

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2007, 11:36:37 am »
No it doesn't sound remotely rational however in this state of mind nothing is! Clearly I'm not trying to disrespect the opinions of the experts on this forum (although you seem a bit uptight on this) - quite the opposite infact. I was hoping that they would have had knowledge of this particluar person being a crank or something.

However what has helped me cope with my situation (whether or not it's significant to you it's very real for me at the moment) is understanding the detail behind why something isn't a risk hence the reason for my question. I previously had a worry over fingering and Ann's detailed response was very helpful and allowed me to put that particular fear to bed.

So now you are saying that there would be no risk for me from a cold sore (assuming I came into contact with vaginal fluid) since the fluid at the entrance to the vagina is not cervical. Correct? Let me ask one further question - does the cervical fluid not mix with the less infectious fluid in the vagina? Also, when various web based sources mention vaginal fluid being infectious why don't they specifically state vaginal fluid from the cervix. Sorry if I'm being pedantic - just want to understand the detail.

Offline johno

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2007, 11:39:08 am »
I've also just spotted that the PM referred to infection through a genital herpes sore - which I assume is quite a different kettle of fish!

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2007, 11:56:44 am »
No it doesn't sound remotely rational however in this state of mind nothing is! Clearly I'm not trying to disrespect the opinions of the experts on this forum (although you seem a bit uptight on this) - quite the opposite infact. I was hoping that they would have had knowledge of this particluar person being a crank or something.

However what has helped me cope with my situation (whether or not it's significant to you it's very real for me at the moment) is understanding the detail behind why something isn't a risk hence the reason for my question. I previously had a worry over fingering and Ann's detailed response was very helpful and allowed me to put that particular fear to bed.

So now you are saying that there would be no risk for me from a cold sore (assuming I came into contact with vaginal fluid) since the fluid at the entrance to the vagina is not cervical. Correct? Let me ask one further question - does the cervical fluid not mix with the less infectious fluid in the vagina? Also, when various web based sources mention vaginal fluid being infectious why don't they specifically state vaginal fluid from the cervix. Sorry if I'm being pedantic - just want to understand the detail.

If I seem uptight about people continually ignoring the advice they "desperately ask for" I apologize it sometimes wears us down.  As far as why the other websites dont tell you its cervical, you'll have to ask THEM why they dont do something rather than ask us why they dont.  We arent mind readers.

Well, it seems as if you enjoy the details which is good.  I suggest you do your own research as we have done rather than ask us what we think and then come back time and again with more questions, not necessarily TOTALLY related to your incident.  That being said, if their was a significant risk of aquiring HIV through cunnilingus the lesbian population would be decimated with this disease.  And we havent seen that have we?

And genital herpes is MUCH different that a cold sore.  For many reasons.
RIDE!!!

Offline johno

« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2007, 04:00:38 am »
For the last couple of weeks I seem to have been coping reasonably well with my fears waiting out the time until my six week test - until the last 2 days that is! For some reason my fears have come back with a vengeance and it is possessing me from the time I wake until I go to sleep.

I've looked at the assessment from everyone and managed to accept the advice with the exception of the condom protected vaginal - mainly because I can't remember how well the condom was covering me. To recap, the condom was put on when I was particularly drunk and not very erect. I recall removing it after brief vaginal but don't remember looking to see how much protection it was offerring. I can't get it out of my head that somehow I will be unlucky.

Is there some online counseling I can refer to for help?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2007, 05:36:09 am »
If the head of your penis was convered then you don't have anything to be concerned. Excessive drinking and sex don't mix.

Offline johno

« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2007, 07:43:46 am »
I have certainly learned a lesson the hard way regards alcohol & sex!

Given that I removed the condom after intercourse is anyone aware of circumstances whereby the head of my penis wouldn't be covered? Unfortunately I don't remember and this uncertainty is causing all the anxiety.

Is there an online website that offers counseling that might help me through the next 2 weeks? I am having a hellish time at the moment waiting for this.

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2007, 07:50:30 am »
Johno,

Given that you had to remove the condom afterwards, it is safe to say that the head of your penis WAS covered. The only way it wouldn't have been is if you never put it on in the first place, or if it broke. If it broke, you WOULD have known.

You did the right thing and used a condom. It didn't break. You were protected against hiv and you do not need to test over this specific incident. You ONLY need to test if it is part of your yearly, routine sexual health care check up.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. Keep using those condoms and you will avoid hiv infection.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline johno

« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2007, 08:28:47 am »
Thanks Ann. Your comments as ever are reassuring.

I guess part of my anxiety is related to the fact that I was drunk at the time and don't remember anything clearly other than the lady putting a condom on (she actually changed it mid way through oral) and me taking it off. Anything could have happened in between. I'm also still fixated on the fact that the head of my penis was probably covered but the risk that  my uncircumcised foreskin was not.

Whilst I am trying to accept your no risk assessment I'm also facing the dilemna that until I know with certainty that I don't have HIV I can't have a normal intimate relationship with my wife again. For that reason I don't have any option but to test but I'm really struggling badly getting through each day.

Alcohol & sex definetely don't mix and it should be a strong message to other forum users.

Thanks again for your previous response - I really appreciate you taking the time to respond despite the previous answers.

Johno.

Offline johno

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2007, 10:18:55 am »
Folks,

Really sorry to keep troubling you with questions. Still fixated on infection via foreskin in the event that the condom was not on correctly and exposed my foreskin. If this was the case is my risk much more significant? Been reading about the transmission risk of circumcised vs uncircumcised men and this is causing me lots of anxiety. Can anyone explain what circumstances would need to occur for transmission to occur given that the statistics say 1 time in 1000 for unprotected vaginal. Why does transmission not occur every time infected fluid comes into contact with the foreskin.

Appreciate if you can shed some light on this for me.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2007, 12:45:39 pm »
Johno,

If the condom had slipped low enough for your foreskin to be exposed, it would have slipped off completely. (my partner is uncut, so I understand about foreskins) You used a condom, therefore you were not at risk for hiv infection.

This anxiety of yours is more about the fact that you had sex outside your marriage than it is about any real hiv risk. Deal with your guilt and forget about hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline johno

« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2007, 02:31:29 pm »
I'm really ashamed to say this however I had a similar incident about a year ago, also protected. Tested neg at 4 weeks, 6 weeks, 12 weeks and 19 weeks. However after the last test I was diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy in my right foot. Was treated with drugs and disappeared. Question is whether or not there could have been an error with the tests and this was due to HIV?

I know this probably sounds crazy but looking back it seems strange. Any comments?

Offline johno

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2007, 03:08:24 pm »
I know that my current anxieties may be causing this new train of thought. However I just wondered whether I should have considered testing at 6 months in my previous situation to be absolutely sure of my status. Is it possible for some reason that I tested too early? Or can I be absolutely certain that HIV was not the cause.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »
In regards to the previous test it was 100% conclusive at 12weeks/3 months.  So no.
RIDE!!!

Offline johno

« Reply #64 on: April 10, 2007, 05:12:02 am »
Thanks AC.

So one last question. When you talk about rare cases that take up to 6 months to seroconvert is this really limited to IV drug users and people who are immunosuppressed or could there also be other outliers (albeit rare)?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2007, 02:14:59 pm »
IV drug users and immunosupressed yes.  has not been a documented proven case of taking over 6 months that I can recall.
RIDE!!!

Offline johno

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2007, 11:57:47 am »
Folks,  sorry to be back again. I am having a real tough time with anxiety at the moment. Not sure if it's because I'm getting closer to my 6 week test.

I'm also still spending a lot of time worrying over the peripheral neuropathy diagnosis that occured after the first incident I mentioned in an earlier thread. AC mentioned that there has not been a documented proven case of seroconversion taking over 6 months that he can recall however I was 5 weeks away from 6 months when I had my last negative test. Is it possible that i could have been a rare case? Also, does the peripheral neuropathy sound similar to the type acquired when you have HIV - essentially I had nerve damage on the top left portion of my right food? If you touched the area then it felt numb but sharp pain in a very specific spot.

I've also been very anxious about my more recent exposure. In the last few days the muscle in my jaw has been very stiff and I've had a very bad muscle pain in my top left arm - almost as though someone has given me a dead arm. Could these be the muscle type pains described during ARS? Although I believed I removed a condom at the end of intercourse I'm now starting to doubt myself. I seem to recall at the time asking where I should discard the condom (there was a bin nearby). However I'm now wondering whether it came off during intercourse and possibly I was asking where to discard some tissue at the end of intercourse. I guess my mind is running away - I suppose my memory immediately afterwards would be more reliable at the time than 5 weeks after- right? I was also nervous enough to go back and find out what happened with the first woman since I couldn't remember whether there had been any unprotected incidents however was not as nervous about the second one. I guess this probably means my recollection of removing a condom during intercourse with the second lady was fairly accurate.

Sorry to keep rehashing my circumstances - i'm just despertae with worry at the moment and looking for any slivers of information that moght help calm me for the remaining time before my test.

Appreciate everyone's patience with me.

Johno

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2007, 12:24:02 pm »
So let me get this straight.  You are thinking you have peripheral neuropathy cause by the HIV virus as well as a "dead arm" caused by the HIV virus.  But this virus that is wreaking havoc on your body is somehow sneaky enough to elude a test designed specifically to find it. 

COME ON.  You dont think that if the virus is tearing your body up that it would be undetectable do you?  It doesnt work that way.  And no your negative result isnt going to change.  But take another one anyway by all means.  Its your money.

SYMPTOMS MEAN NOTHING!  You know that.
RIDE!!!

Offline johno

« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2007, 01:11:58 pm »
No I'm not suggesting that I caught it twice from both instances. It would either be one or the other - but I'm worried whether either one could still pose a risk for me.

The first one happened over a year ago and I tested negative out to 19 weeks. The Peripheral Neuropathy started after my last test so i'm asking if it's possible I was a late seroconverter after this first incident i.e. before 6 months was up. I haven't had any further tests since. Assuming the negative test was really negative then that's great news. But I just wonder whether I could have been that rare case that seems to get discussed.

Assuming I was clear from this first incident leads me to worry about the second incident which just happened 5 weeks ago. Could the symptoms I'm experiencing now could be related to sercoconversion from this incident.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2007, 01:21:34 pm »
You cant catch HIV twice.  You have RELIABLY tested negative and do not need to test over the incident 5 weeks ago.

I sense you are quickly headed towards a time out if you continue.

You are NEGATIVE.  Move on.
RIDE!!!

Offline johno

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2007, 01:42:29 pm »
I never implied that you could catch HIV twice - I'm worrying about these as two seperate occasions when I could have had a risk. I appreciate it's confusing since the earlier incident was only introduced later in the thread.

As far as a time out is concerned - for what? Asking questions that are real to me and obviously worrying me?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2007, 01:46:43 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.
RIDE!!!

Offline johno

« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2007, 02:15:28 pm »
Maybe I need to clarify the question.

First instance over a year ago - tested negative out to 19 weeks. Have heard that some people can seroconvert up until 24 weeks. Normally IV drug users, immunosuppressed individuals. Is it not possible for someone who doesn't fall into these categories. The Peripheral Neuropathy wasn't there when I tested negative - it happened afterwards hence the worry that I could have had a false negative.

Anyway, let's assume I didn't and fat forward to five weeks ago. My concern is that if I wasn't wearing a condom at the end of intercourse as i originally thought then there was potential for exposure. I was therefore asking if the dead arm and stiff jaw could relate to seroconversion?

If asking these questions justifies a timeout then so be it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2007, 02:24:01 pm »
Johno,

You tested reliably hiv negative for your first incident.

For your second incident, you wore a condom. Condoms protect against hiv. Even if you lost the condom, it would be unusual for you to end up testing positive. You're letting your imagination run away with you.

The muscle aches during seroconversion, if they happen at all, are like the ones you get during a bad case of flu. Your aching jaw is probably cause by you clenching it in your anxiety. Dead arm? Muscle tension caused, again, by anxiety. If you doubt what I say, go see your doctor about it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2007, 02:30:07 pm »
Thanks Ann.

Offline johno

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2007, 06:28:01 am »
Ann,

Your response helped to calm me last night. However I'm still concerned about the first incident having read that Guillain Barre syndrome which is a form of neuropathy can occur during seroconversion and delay the time to a positive result. in the articles that I looked at it seemed that seroconversion was taking place several months (5 and 6 months) after exposure due to this condition. Question therefore is can i really be sure of my negative result at 19 weeks given that I had neuropathy in my right foot diagnosed by a doctor some weeks after my last negative test? Should I have another test to be conclusive? Are there any particular characteristics of neuropathy during seroconversion that relate specifically to HIV?

Incidentally i still have mild numbness in my foot at the moment even after treatment 6 months ago.

Thanks for any feedback you can give.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2007, 09:06:40 am »
Johno,

Test all you like - just don't be surprised when your tests keep coming back hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2007, 09:27:17 am »
Thanks Ann.

Are you aware of any medical evidence that links having peripheral neuropathy with delayed seroconversion?

Johno

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2007, 09:37:22 am »
Peripheral Neuropathy, will not lengthen the window time.

Offline johno

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2007, 10:23:49 am »
How common are the symptoms detailed in the article by jersey_guy? This sounds similar to the pain that I'm currently experiencing in my arm which started about 3 weeks after the last incident.

Freaking out again after seeing this!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2007, 12:56:06 pm »
Johno,

How about staying off the internet so you don't scare yourself silly with stuff that has nothing to do with you? You didn't have a risk. You got a blowjob and had a few moments of protected vaginal. No risk.

Go see your doctor about your muscular pains. It's nothing to do with hiv. While you're there, I'd recommend asking your doctor for a referral to a counseling agency so you can begin to deal with your state of high anxiety.

You are very close to earning a time out. If you'd read the Welcome thread, you will have read this:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned. I'm not going to warn you twice.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2007, 02:19:18 pm »
Apologies Ann - I'm certainly not looking for a timeout. If I'm still having these anxiety issues after my 6 week test I'll definetely seek counselling.

If I could only believe that the intercourse was definetely protected I'd be able to deal better with my fears. Shortly after the incident I definetely recall a condom being put on for the oral and I thought I recalled taking it off afterwards. However now 5 weeks later I'm not so sure - I still recall the conodm being put on for oral but worry that the condom came of immediately since I wasn't erect - hence it would not have been protected. That's what's really eating at me.

Please don't give me a timeout - I'll try my damndest not to post further.

Offline johno

« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2007, 02:39:01 pm »
Folks,

I need some help as I feel I'm going into meltdown! I know I said I wouldn't post but really need some words of re-assurance even at the risk of getting banned.

I'm having to go on the assumption that the vaginal intercourse mentioned in earlier posts wasn't protected, despite earlier comments, since I really can't remember for sure. I also know that you tell everyone symptoms mean nothing however it's difficult to accept that when you're having them!

On Monday at 35 days I had what I think was a rash around my neck with some isolated trunk spots. Today at day 37 I feel a scratchy sore throat (no fever, swollen lymph nodes, etc) and for short period's feel shaky, hot and a little bit nauseaus. I know symptoms themselves can be varied however would symptoms come on at once if there were symptoms or could they be spaced by 1 or 2 days? Also, how is the timing for ARS symptoms?

Please, please give me some feedback. I'm really struggling with this at the moment.

Thanks, johno

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2007, 02:45:05 pm »
They all come at once and they leave in the same fashion.

Offline johno

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2007, 02:55:09 pm »
Thanks Rapid.

What about the timing - would 35 days for the beginning of symptoms be realistic?

Johno

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2007, 03:08:26 pm »
NO!

Offline johno

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2007, 04:33:02 pm »
Thanks for the fast response.

Rapid, Ann, Andy,

Can I take particular reassurance from the lack of fever? I feel as though I have flu symptoms but can't differentiate from a panic attack. Feel really shaky, light headed and hot for an hour or so and then back to normal. I'm absolutely petrified that I may be experiencing ARS.

Johno

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2007, 05:46:11 pm »
Good grief. You were never at risk. Symptoms or lack of is no way to diagnosis HIV. You did not have a risk and you don't need to test. Now move on already.

Offline johno

« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2007, 06:05:16 pm »
Rapid,

I'm sorry if I'm trying your patience - I really appreciate the service you guys provide and can understand your frustration with my repeated questioning.

I also realise that my risk was close to non existent if a condom was used. If I could be sure of that I wouldn't be anywhere near as fearful as I currently am. However you said yourself that alcohol and sex don't mix and that's exactly why I can not be sure that I was protected - I certainly had a condom on at the start but can't be sure it was there at the end despite earlier comments. That being the case I would have had a risk - correct?

Hence my fear with the symptoms I'm currently having. I feel perfectly OK at this point in time but periodically through the day (also yesterday) feel hot, trembling, nauseous and scratchy throat. Normally the feeling lasts a few hours.

Symptoms mean nothing but because I'm experiencing then, as well as real fear, I'm just looking for anything to latch onto that will give me hope for a negative test. Hence the question about whether absence of fever should provide significant reassurance?

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2007, 06:41:58 pm »
Johno,

Symptoms, or even the lack of symptoms means nothing when it comes to hiv infection. We would be remiss if we told you that the lack of fever means a person is not infected.

However, you are letting your imagination run away with you. What happened to you not posting? A time out is still on the cards for you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2007, 06:48:18 pm »
Ann,

Please believe me when I say that I have tried very hard not to post - I'd rather not be here either! However i had nowhere else to turn and as someone who is normally very healthy these symptoms are very disconcerting for me. Most of the symptoms I could put down to anxiety - but the sore throat has really pushed me over the edge.

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2007, 07:09:32 pm »
Johno,

Stress is a more likely cause of your sore thoat than hiv. Yes, stress CAN cause a sore throat.

Now get off the internet and stop feeding your stress.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

Tested today
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2007, 06:29:25 am »
Ann, Andy,

Appreciate your input on this.

Tested today at 6 weeks given the uncertainty over whether condom was in place for vaginal intercourse. Get results tomorrow - extremely nervous!

I know 6 weeks is not conclusive however wondered whether the symptoms I was experiencing last week could have a bearing on my results?

To recap on symptoms:

Day 34 Localised rash on one side of my neck and isolated spots on my chest. Lasted for 2 days.

Day 36 Scratchy throat - lasted few hours then improved. Came back on Day 37 with similar effect. Gone now.

Day 37 Headache - lasted 2 days

Throughout the week I also had periods of trembling, feeling nauseaous, and hot (although no fever) - typically lasted for 1-2 hours.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2007, 06:48:51 am »
johno, I don't know what your problems are but it is unrelated to HIV. If you can not get over your unwarranted worries then you will need to find a professional that can work with you. You never had a risk and it doesn't matter how many symptoms that you want to add to each post. You didn't have a risk, period....

Offline johno

« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2007, 06:53:01 am »
Rapid,

Totally understand what you're saying if a condom was in place. But given that I can't recall with certainty surely if there wasn't a condom then that would constitute a risk?

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2007, 07:49:48 am »
Johno,

It seems to me that the ONLY reason you are questioning the condom use - which you seemed pretty sure of when you first arrived here - is because of your symptoms.

Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms mean nothing and not only that, what you have experienced isn't even consistent with primary hiv symptoms. They don't come in drips and drabs, the come on all at once and go all at once, when they come at all.

I'm fully expecting your six week test to be negative and you should too.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2007, 08:11:13 am »
Thanks Ann - I'm really praying that you're right.

Johno

Offline johno

« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2007, 06:02:08 am »
Ann,

Should get my result this afternoon - waiting anxiously.

However I wanted to pre-empt by asking a question on testing. I know that 6 weeks is not definitive but a reasonable indication of someone's status if the test is negative. My question is whether it would show positive if the symptoms I was experiencing last week were in fact due to primary HIV infection or whether it is too soon afterwards.

Assuming my test this afternoon were to be negative I want to be able to forget about HIV until a final test at 3 months hence the reason for the question.

Johno

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #98 on: April 24, 2007, 07:48:25 am »
Johno,

As you've been repeatedly told, you didn't have a risk.

And yes, if the symptoms you experienced had anything to do with seroconversion, your test would likely be positive. But that ain't gonna happen, is it.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline johno

Test results
« Reply #99 on: April 24, 2007, 09:29:40 am »
Folks,

Just had my 6 week (1 day short) result back and it was negative - just as you all told me it would be! I'd really like to thank everyone for their patience and support over the last 6 weeks - it has been absolutely invaluable to me. You are a fantatstic bunch!

I'm not considering myself out of the woods yet on the off chance that the condom did come off and will test at 3 months. However I guess this is a good step forward.

Johno.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.