Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:21:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773268
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 386
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 384
Total: 385

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Woke Up With Major Hot Flash/Flush, Atripla?  (Read 6189 times)

Offline RobbyR

Woke Up With Major Hot Flash/Flush, Atripla?
« on: August 19, 2013, 08:27:45 pm »
I've been on Atripla for 3 years this month and it's had ups and downs but nothing too major knock on wood. I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced random hot flashes, like feeling really really hot in the face/head area when waking up the next morning? This hardly ever happens to me but it did this morning. I'm in good health so I think it's probably from the Atripla. Not a major complaint. I took it before bed as usual, but after I showered this morning I felt really flush and hot to the point of fanning myself for about an hour after waking up this morning. I also got my usual morning wood which was even more pronounced, like I was so horny I felt like I wanted to go fuck a whole barracks full of gay soldiers lol. Like it was this overwhelming horniness, even for me! The only thing I can compare it to is the feeling I would get way back when I'd smoke a blunt, which I haven't done for years. The hot feeling didn't feel like when you have a fever, more like when you overheat..Like flush..It soon subsided but I also got this "high" trippy feeling too, which I haven't had much since I first started taking it like 3 years back..Dunno if this is related, but I just got my new bottle of them, so maybe they were just a new more potent batch. Anyways it was weird!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Woke Up With Major Hot Flash/Flush, Atripla?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 08:41:09 pm »
Its probably your meds because you are too young for man-o-pause .

I think my trazodone or possibly Truvada does that to me . I go into a sweaty meltdown at least once a day .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 09:25:35 pm »
That happened to me every day took atripla.  The flushed, hot flash, horniness, hard on etc.  Every day.  I didn't mind it so much.

Usually the flush feeling for me occurred about two hours after taking it and lasted about one hour.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:25 pm »
I've been on Atripla for 3 years this month and it's had ups and downs but nothing too major knock on wood. I'm wondering, has anyone else experienced random hot flashes, like feeling really really hot in the face/head area when waking up the next morning? This hardly ever happens to me but it did this morning. I'm in good health so I think it's probably from the Atripla. Not a major complaint. I took it before bed as usual, but after I showered this morning I felt really flush and hot to the point of fanning myself for about an hour after waking up this morning. I also got my usual morning wood which was even more pronounced, like I was so horny I felt like I wanted to go fuck a whole barracks full of gay soldiers lol. Like it was this overwhelming horniness, even for me! The only thing I can compare it to is the feeling I would get way back when I'd smoke a blunt, which I haven't done for years. The hot feeling didn't feel like when you have a fever, more like when you overheat..Like flush..It soon subsided but I also got this "high" trippy feeling too, which I haven't had much since I first started taking it like 3 years back..Dunno if this is related, but I just got my new bottle of them, so maybe they were just a new more potent batch. Anyways it was weird!

Does this tend to happen after eating some high fat food around med time?  I know that if I have something fatty, like a Krispy Kreme, I get good and "drunk" after about an hour!

Mike

Offline Billy B

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 12:08:54 pm »
The hot flashes were just one of the reasons I switched from Atripla.
Billy B
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline darryaz

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 12:44:47 pm »
The flushed, hot flash, horniness, hard on etc.  Every day.  I didn't mind it so much.

I've never experienced that (at least not from Atripla).  I feel cheated!!!!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2013, 05:29:08 pm »
Maybe you heard about the casting for 50 Shades of Grey and overheated in anticipation?
 ;D
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a511913/50-shades-movie-are-dakota-johnson-and-charlie-hunnam-the-best-choices.html

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:39 pm »
Lol it doesn't happen much, and it's not altogether unpleasant, just a bit jarring when it does happen and not in a bad way. The best thing about Atripla for me is the intense horniness I get especially in the mornings. I wake up with a tent in my sheets and want to roll over and fuck anything that moves lol. I'm actually surprised that I get these effects this long (three years) after being on the medication. But I'm not complaining! The occasional night sweats is no biggie. And if the morning woodies keep up then yay!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline cicero

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:07:54 pm »
I have been on Atripla for about a month now (time flies - I can't believe it's been a month of being HIV+).  I do sometimes get the hot flashes but it's nothing too bad. Mostly during the night, I tend to take my pill at 10:00 and stay up a few hours before going to bed. I feel a warm sensation in the body, then some drowsiness, and every now and then those hot flashes you describe. 
"How could this happen to lovely me?" -Jacqueline Susann

Offline elf

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:50 am »
It's like getting intoxicated (after taking too many glasses of wine).

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 04:37:40 pm »
Is this a common side effect of Atripla?
Just putting it out there. I have no great knowledge about the bio-chemistry. But I know I was one of people who didn't mix well with Sustiva.  I got intense dreams and eventually got psychological effects that pushed me change.  I understand that is because Sustiva can be reactive with the CNS - Central Nervous System, and I just assumed some people are more sensitive. 

Maybe disagreeable hot flashes might be a sign that a person is more reactive to Atripla than most people? Lots of people report no side effects.  So maybe if there is this side effect, it might be worth asking about a drug change?   

I have no side effects that I know of from Isentress Truvada.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 05:05:42 pm »
Is this a common side effect of Atripla?

Yes.  It has something to do with it causing an immune response.  I forget exactly but it causes a release of some sort of chemical in the body which causes you to feel hot.  I don't think it's related to cns issues from what I recall its a type of immune response.

Newt would know.  Paging Newt.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.