Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:12:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 637
Total: 639

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Here`s a crazy one! "Woman's 12-year HIV nightmare finally ends"  (Read 3885 times)

Offline terrymoore

I won`t get my hopes up, but i guess for her, her dreams came true!
CRazy!
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1260602/womans-12-ye

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Here`s a crazy one! "Woman's 12-year HIV nightmare finally ends"
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 02:05:50 pm »
The first test showed she was infected with the virus. There was no second test to confirm the diagnosis. She had been suffering the anguish ever since.

Not the first story i heard of misdiagnosis from years ago, thankfully protocols are different now.

- She should sue them all the same.

Jim

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:44:36 pm »
She is an uneducated and ignorant person. I don't say that as a criticism.  Why should she sue? She fell through the cracks as a kid.  There was confirmatory testing available 12 years ago and somehow her family did not pursue that. 

She was diagnosed HIV Negative 5 years ago and didnt believe it.

There is more than malpractice in this story.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 10:46:41 pm »
@mecch unfortunately this is very typical in Thailand. With all its great attributes, this country is still very behind and inefficient in many areas. Some hospitals don`t have the basics. The main problem is oversight - there are no repercussions and many things are swept under the carpet.
Also, there are huge socio-economical gaps in society. In this case, a father who diedi of AIDS, a single mom, probably uneducated, (very) low income...simple folk. Unfortunately these people normally do not finish high school, still believe in "witch doctors"  etc etc. It is a sad reality. In spite of this, Thailand has managed to lead in the fight against spreading HIV in the ASIA region, and today 64% of known HIV+ are on meds. Not so bad right?

Offline CaveyUK

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 04:09:03 pm »
I didn't like the bit about how society can stop being prejudiced towards her because she 'doesn't have AIDS'.

If anyone should understand the prejudice that can exist then it will be her, and she could try and do something about it, rather than just being elated that she doesn't have the virus. I don't blame her for being elated but still...
HIV - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here:
PEP and PrEP

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 04:19:42 pm »
I didn't like the bit about how society can stop being prejudiced towards her because she 'doesn't have AIDS'.

Personally I can understand and would be over the ff moon, but that's just me suppose it depends on experiences and impact on ones life.  However poor but it just goes to show how prejudice things / views still can be in the world.

I think this sums that up nicely about the situation.

The case of Ms Suthida typically showed that Thai society had little understanding about HIV-Aids and unfairly discriminated against infected people, who actually could live normal lives like other people...

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:24:38 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Online Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:32:00 pm »
BTW I see now she is suing according to the papers at least, - I think good she should. Being told he had HIV as a child had an impact on her life and not for the better.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/03/woman-sues-after-she-was-wrongly-diagnosed-with-hiv-as-a-child-6681812/

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/15-years-woman-seeks-sue-hospital-misdiagnosed-hiv/
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 10:48:47 pm »
She is an uneducated and ignorant person. I don't say that as a criticism.  Why should she sue? She fell through the cracks as a kid.  There was confirmatory testing available 12 years ago and somehow her family did not pursue that. 

She was diagnosed HIV Negative 5 years ago and didnt believe it.

There is more than malpractice in this story.
She should sue because "somehow -- her DOCTOR didn't pursue it"  The malpractice here isn't against an unenlightened family -- it's against a negligent health care provider(s). 
I'm sure you didn't mean it, but this smacks of blaming the victim.

M

Offline terrymoore

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 12:12:13 pm »
looks like they will try to use this story to create public awareness. Hopefully some good will come form this. Here is a video they made and has been broadcast on the news http://www.bangkokpost.com/vdo/thailand/1265707/its-a-lonely-world

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.