Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:29:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 226
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sustiva (atripla) Withdrawal? Drug holiday and illness.  (Read 14048 times)

Offline a2area

Sustiva (atripla) Withdrawal? Drug holiday and illness.
« on: September 20, 2008, 03:41:12 pm »
Hi,
I have been taking Atripla for almost a year but couldn't deal with the growing symptoms of panic and depression it caused for me.  This past Wednesday my Dr. and I decided to change to Truvada + Viramune.  I decided to take a couple days off of meds so I could clean out my system a little and yesterday (only 2 days off meds) I got a chest and head cold + a sore throat.  I am starting my new regimen today... but wondered.. could this illness be linked to coming off of Atripla, stopping ALL meds for 3 days (wed, thurs, fri), or is it just a coincidence?

I would call my Dr. but he is out of town for another week.

Thanks for any help.
Brian

PS.. my Viral Load was undetectable and my CD4's were 299
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 03:42:56 pm by a2area »

Offline blondbeauty

Re: Sustiva (atripla) Withdrawal? Drug holiday and illness.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 10:45:57 am »
When you switch to a new treatment you are not supposed to take a "holiday". You should start the new treatment immediately.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline tash08

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 12:09:58 pm »
Start your Truvada+Viramune immediately you're risking developing resistance. About your cold it could be just a Cold but you want to start back on your treatment just because you were undetactable it doesn't mean that you can take a drug holiday to "clean your system".
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 12:16:39 pm by tash08 »
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

BobF

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 01:37:52 pm »
Hi Brian --- yes do start your meds right away.  I've been told to never stop meds without specific medical direction due to resistance fears.   I recommend that you advise your Doc that you've done so as he may want to test your counts sooner than otherwise planned.   And, I'd also contact the Doc's office about the cold to get that checked out.

Best wishes --

(also in A2)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 02:18:20 pm »
For what it's worth the frequency with which I've gotten colds, chest congestion, bronchitis, etc. over the span of 15 years on HIV meds has been pretty much the same no matter if my cd4 count was 200, 400, 700 or +1,000.  The only thing that may be different is the severity and recuperation time.

However, it's helpful if an HIV patient is good at telling the difference between a common cold and a respiratory infection.  The latter sometimes might require an anti-biotic, but not a cold.  Most of the time even a respiratory infection can be managed with OTC Musinex D or something similar (it's just the same as getting a prescription for Guaifenex).
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 03:11:53 pm »
Of course I agree with what's been said about there being nothing to gain and plenty to lose by taking the 'treatment holiday' you proposed, original poster.

But I just wanted to comment about the issue of ordinary colds - I used to get them regularly back in my pre-positive days.  Bizarrely, they have become less and less frequent, reaching their nadir along with my CD4s at around 180.  I literally haven't gotten a cold in like a year.  It seems counterintuitive, but perhaps the body cannot mount any immune response - thus, no cold?
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline zgood

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2008, 04:05:47 am »
since been on atripla ,i have also been given dapsone 100mg.i had a really bad chest infection but for the year i have not even had a cold.

Offline leatherpoz

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2008, 06:34:29 pm »
I was taking Atripla and had to talk to my doc about getting off of it because of similar side effects. The panic, depression, night-terrors, anxiety as well as digestive problems were literally driving me crazy, more so than normal. He is switching me to Truvada & Viramune (which I'm looking forward to as there is no Sustiva involved).

My doc wants me to wait 2-7 days to start the new meds so the "Sustiva can get out of my system completely." After 4 days of no Sustiva, my sleep is returning to somewhat normal and I'm actually able to laugh be in a somewhat upbeat mood at times. 

I'm doing the "holiday" due to my doctors advice, not on my own. I was on Atripla for 4 weeks and was consistant with my dosing, and once I start the new meds, will continue to be consistant. I'm confident that the brief holiday isn't going to be a major problem and will help me decide if this combo is less troublesome for me by not getting side effects confused or carried over.

Guess my point is that I'm doing this WITH my doc's OK and recommendations and NOT taking a self prescribed holiday. Your doctor is (or should be and if not, get a new one!) your best source of information and recommendations and both of you should be involved in your healthcare decisions. My doc and I discuss options and he lets me have a say in what I put into my body or not. This allows me to trust him with my health issues.

Good luck and good health!
Mark 

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:43:39 am »
I was also on Atripla for almost a year.  It worked great, liked the 1 pill a day thing.
But the cronic depression set in & I had to get off of it for the same reason as you.
But my Doc put me on Truvada & Kaletra &$$&%^%&&#$#  "BIG MISTAKE"

The Kaletra gvie me severe diaherra like 20-30 times a day.  So after 3 1/2 weeks I did call my Doc & told her I was going back on Atripla as I would rather be depressed that the shits!!!!!!

I ended up on Travuda & Viramune also but she never told me about the breaking in period with the Viramune.  Suppose to take 1 a day for 2 weeks then start the 2 a day.  I guess it can cause a rash with some severe in a few people.

So far no side effects I start the 2 ady tomorrow.

I was also off of meds for 5 days while my new ones arrived, she was not worried ???  "She also said to get the Sustiva out of my system"
I have blood work done on the 6th so I guess that will be the real test of the which.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 04:39:58 am »
I had to stop Sustiva for two days before switching to Kaletra to get the Sustiva out of my system and found out I couldn't take Kaletra and was switched back and put on another medication for my OI.

Offline Desertguy

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 08:42:57 am »
Rapid, why did you have to stop taking the Kaletra????

Offline a2area

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 09:07:34 pm »
Thanks for all the replies everyone...  the cold was just a coincidence after all... and an antibiotic cleared it up pronto  :)    I started taking the Truvada Viramune the day after my first post... so I was only off meds for 3 full days.  I love the combination.... no side effects whatsoever (well, just a tiny bit queasy the first day.. i think it's viramune) but since then.. nada!!

I suggest asking your dr. about Truvada + Viramune if you are having anxiety/depression with Atripla... i actually feel like "me" again.. and MOST importantly, I can sleep!!

Brian

Offline leatherpoz

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 07:32:23 pm »
I got started on my new regime, Truvada and Viramune, and it's been a world of difference.

I'm taking it early evening, with food and am falling back into regular sleep again, *thankfully*!

The Sustiva (in the Atripla) seems to have cleared out of my system and the mental side effects are pretty much gone.  I actually went to a social function last night and had a good time socializing and getting to laugh, which has been rare lately. But, the return of my sleep & better mood are the most important things that I missed and were driving me more crazy than usual.

Good luck with your treatment and hope all continues to go well!

Mark

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2008, 12:38:14 pm »
Rapid, why did you have to stop taking the Kaletra????

Severe stomach cramps and uncontrollable diarrhea.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.