Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 353
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: new  (Read 4911 times)

Offline ggatlcaa

• fool by default
new
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:08:22 pm »
hi my name is valentino coronado and i'm 24 and i was barely diagnosed with Aids about a 2 weeks ago.and tested poz about 1 1/2 month ago really but i caught Aids about 4 months ago..when i was diagnosed with my cd4 count was 180 and my vl 31,000 and i'm really scared that after catching only 4 month ago it at aids and my cd4 counts so low,i've just started to take atripla just 1 week ago and i've never did drug and never smoked and drank for only about 4 months so yeah i been hoping to meet ppl maybe younger who kinda of in the same boat cause i'm just scared and i got tons of questions i want answer!,,,like how bad is it that i'm 24 and my cd4 count so low for only having it for 4 months and what do i have to look forward to for my future and is atripla a great drug..i hope some of yall can answer these question for me  :)
sie konnen nicht warten fur wunder,wunder sind dinge wir machen fur uns!

Offline tednlou2

Re: new
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 01:11:25 am »
Welcome to the forums.  That always seems odd to say, but you're here. 

During recent infection, CD4 counts can drop dramatically, but then usually rebound.  Some people are unlucky and don't get that rebound.  You weren't poz long enough before starting meds to know.  Most of us never know what our initial CD4 was, because so many are not diagnosed for a long time.  The good news is that you're on medication, so you should see the numbers going up.

I've read that people in your situation usually still have an immune system still very much intact and hasn't been damaged like someone infected 10 years.  But, that doesn't mean someone in your situation still couldn't get opportunistic infections.  But, you're now on meds, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.  I would bet you see a good change by your next labs. 

I believe there have been new members posting, who are near your age and newly infected/diagnosed.  If you read the forums, I'm sure you will run into them.  Keep in touch and let us know your progress.

All the best,

Ted

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 01:58:36 am »
what do i have to look forward to for my future and is atripla a great drug..i hope some of yall can answer these question for me  :)
Hello and welcome.
Like Ted says you'll find people here around your own age. You'll also find people, like me, who have had HIV for 30 yrs and been on meds 20+ yrs.

The future you have to look forward to is whatever future you make it to be - of course with all the craziness that life throws in there to try to knock you off track. ::) LOL The meds today, like Atripla, do wonders and all recent studies show that someone in your position will probably live out a normal life span. So live, love, play, work, save for retirement - and stay adherent to your meds! Those meds (Atripla is a 3-drug combination) are the only thing that works against HIV and will keep you in good health - at least as far as HIV is considered. Your blood pressure, cholestrol, weight, hereditary issues, etc are all issues everyone, including HIV positive people, have to deal with.

You might want to check out the LESSONS section here as there's a lot to know about HIV, the tests, the meds, etc. And of course you can always ask questions of the members here. Somebody is bound to have dealt with the same issues and can offer you some moral support if not some practical support and advice. ;)

best wishes to you!
mikie
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 06:20:04 am »
HI ggatlcaa. 
Sorry you had to get HIV, but welcome to the forums, at least.

I thought to ask you, are you sure you want to write your name on this site?  This forum is completely searchable and public.  Anyone can now type your name and find you, here at Poz forums...  Maybe you are cool with that. If not, ask the moderator to edit your first post.

The Atripla will build back your CD4s.  The "aids diagnosis" - try to put that at a distance.  You are in the first months of infection. Your CD4 might have rebounded back to normal level without medication.  But now you are on medication so you can be quite sure the CD4s will come back, over the next months.   

A note about "how to refer to things".   You didn't "catch AIDS".  Nobody catches AIDS - AIDS is a condition of HIV+ people who are very sick, or were once very sick.  You really are not in this category.

WHat you caught was the virus HIV.  You're HIV+.   Society may like to lump all this together , HIV - AIDS - "the AIDS"  etc etc. (or much worse...) 

But now you're HIV+ like the rest of us HIV+ folks.  It tends to work out better for us if we don't get too wrapped up in old ideas and fears around that term "AIDS". 

The Atripla is hitting your infection nice and hard.  If eventually, there is something that doesn't work out with that combination, there are plenty of others your doc will advise to you.

THe current thinking is that HIV+ people can live just as long as HIV- people, if they have good medical care. 

You caught yours early, you're treating it early, so there are silver linings for you, in this traumatic moment.  Keep all your goals and dreams. 

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 02:53:00 am »
Hello! I am sad that you joind us, but glad you found this resource.

Whenever I hear a new person saying that they want to find people of the same age group with which to commune, I assume they know the length anf breadth of HIV theory, mediation, and have nothing to learn from the experiences of those ten years (or more!) older. So best of luck to you.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline ggatlcaa

• fool by default
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:01:23 am »
hi thx everybody and 1st i wanna start off with the communicate with younger people thing cause my uncle has aids and i talk to him but he 45 and our mindset are on different levels and i don't know any younger person who has HIV rather they embarrassed or private about it even throught i know i'm not the only person were i live with hiv,i would like to commune with someone who mindset is close to mine and the name I'm not worry it's just a name i don't care if people know but thx and i like hearing who been battling it so long and still going strong i hope to get to know tons of ppl on here 
sie konnen nicht warten fur wunder,wunder sind dinge wir machen fur uns!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 09:56:41 am »
Maybe you could help put together a social group / support group of some kind for young people in your area.  Cause it sounds like there is a need.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ohwell

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 12:54:55 pm »
i don't know i'm new to this but the more inform myself and get used to it i find the help of older people useful. Maybe because the already went through what you and we are going.
Anyway, I'm 28 and well i'm in similar situation tested poz 3 months ago and started meds 2 months ago CD4 195 vl 142,000.
Your questions about CD4...  how bad it is? i find that tricky CD4 is just a number, the lowest it gets the more at risk you are of getting OI. But the pills will help get your CD$ higher. Meanwhile it doesnt mean you have to get sick, just use what "mama thaught you" and wash your hand, eat food prepared in a hygenic conditions and all that stuff we know how to do to not get sick.
When I got the news and got  CD4 at 195, and the doctor told me that i had been sick for around 5 years one of the things i thought was how weird it was that i never got sick during those years. Even now i'm still healthy.. but i have to take my pills.
About your future... i know now it seems there's nothing to fight for but as you can see here there are LTS with different backgrounds and situation people with a partner married rich, poor, etc. So i guess it is up to you what's in your future and what to look for, ANYTHING STILL COULD HAPPEN and you can become the man you wanted to be before you got infected.
I know it takes time to get that message in your head (i still don't see a clear future) but i know that if i do things right i can become a happy long term survivor and do everything i wanted to do in life, there's plenty of people where who have already done that, so it is possible
they made me do it

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.