Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:36:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773295
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 680
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 602
Total: 602

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: vampires  (Read 87679 times)

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
Re: vampires
« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2023, 07:49:46 pm »
it's a Ryan White requirement.

Providers who deal with HIV patients eventually have to deal with Ryan White aid for those patients. That aid comes with requirements of course. In fulfilling those requirements, providers often end up just counting and treating every patient (insurance, medi-care -caid, RW, etc) under those requirements.

Wow that’s really interesting. It makes total sense as well.

I couldn’t agree with you more about RW. The US usually doesn’t get things right, but that program helps so many and seems to do so quite efficiently!
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2023, 07:03:53 am »
It doesn't take long but it's just not something they can fit in the limited time I grant them as it is. Although if they stopped asking stupid questions it might fit.

I would be running STI testing as well...I have the same thoughts whenever some in the "do I have HIV" section claims to only have had a massage and nothing else or that they are virgins or monogamous ;D

Hey now… I’m fairly sure I had enough sex in my 20s and 30s to hold myself over for a while. My last relationship ended in 2018 and I haven’t been with anyone since. I guess my mental health became a priority over the physical aspect. I’m looking forward to coming out of retirement eventually…
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Offline Loa111

« Reply #202 on: October 23, 2023, 06:26:49 am »
Had my 4 monthly Vampires ID Clinic visit mid last week.

Indeed, it has become very routine and normal these days, which is a good thing.
Undetectable.
Good news in that for the first time since my DX over 5 years ago, my CD4 has hit an amazing 414. That's the highest ever so far. Docs do say it is better if over 500, so maybe I'll hit that at some point in the future.

I was unwell in August, spent a week in bed, I suspect it was Covid but I didn't test. Anyway, doc give me a bit of an extra check, listened to my lungs breathing etc. Doc will have a good look at my blood tests to see if all is normal.

Doc also did a Heart Risk Assessment, which classed me as low risk. The ID Doc heading up our clinic, I think is interested in how HIV may effect the Cardiac system  as one ages.

After all that, I got my annual Flu Jab. Delighted to get that out of the way on this clinic visit.

Then got my meds from the clinic pharmacist. Gave me 5 months supply of pills so thinking I might now be on a 5 month appointment rota which is fine by me.

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #203 on: October 23, 2023, 06:31:30 am »

Indeed, it has become very routine and normal these days, which is a good thing.
Undetectable.
Good news in that for the first time since my DX over 5 years ago, my CD4 has hit an amazing 414. That's the highest ever so far. Docs do say it is better if over 500, so maybe I'll hit that at some point in the future.

I was unwell in August, spent a week in bed, I suspect it was Covid but I didn't test. Anyway, doc give me a bit of an extra check, listened to my lungs breathing etc. Doc will have a good look at my blood tests to see if all is normal.

Doc also did a Heart Risk Assessment, which classed me as low risk. The ID Doc heading up our clinic, I think is interested in how HIV may effect the Cardiac system  as one ages.

After all that, I got my annual Flu Jab. Delighted to get that out of the way on this clinic visit.

Then got my meds from the clinic pharmacist. Gave me 5 months supply of pills so thinking I might now be on a 5 month appointment rota which is fine by me.

Wow congrats on the stellar “check up”! It sounds like you are flourishing and that is amazing. 5 months between appointments sounds like a dream to me. Keep that momentum going 🙌🏻

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2023, 11:28:13 am »

Undetectable.

Great update and glad to hear your labs are looking good. Sorry to hear that you had been unwell with covid.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2023, 05:54:11 am »
Just had my latest 6 monthly check up. CD4's doing great, 860+. Kidneys doing what they normally do, slightly out of range. The viral load though is still hanging in there. Not much, 180 this time but for 6 years I was undetectable, that was whilst taking Complera. Since the switch to Triumeq I have had three detectable readings, 21,just over 200 and now 180, all in a row. I know that is still classed as being under control but after the first 6 years I kind of find it disappointing, especially as I always assumed Triumeq was a superior regime compared to Complera and was happy to switch when given the choice. I did ask about reverting to Complera but my Dr is not happy for me to take TDF in case my kidneys get worse.

Not sure what approach to take, insist on going back or just hang in there with a low viral load and see what happens.

Dave

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2023, 07:38:02 am »
Just had my latest 6 monthly check up. CD4's doing great, 860+. Kidneys doing what they normally do, slightly out of range. The viral load though is still hanging in there. Not much, 180 this time but for 6 years I was undetectable, that was whilst taking Complera. Since the switch to Triumeq I have had three detectable readings, 21,just over 200 and now 180, all in a row. I know that is still classed as being under control but after the first 6 years I kind of find it disappointing, especially as I always assumed Triumeq was a superior regime compared to Complera and was happy to switch when given the choice. I did ask about reverting to Complera but my Dr is not happy for me to take TDF in case my kidneys get worse.

Not sure what approach to take, insist on going back or just hang in there with a low viral load and see what happens.

Dave

Hey there Dave-

Wow it sounds like you’ve been on a rollercoaster as of late, well errrr perhaps for a while now. I’m not too well versed on the medical side, but I know personally that your cd4s are the stuff that I only dream about. I know the VL is probably more annoying than anything at this point, but I wonder if it poses any real threat to your health at those small levels?

Anywho I hope things continue to go well for you. We actually spoke a lot about switching treatments on our peer support call not long ago. Feel free to pm me your email if you’d like to participate sometime.

All the best~ Alan

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2023, 08:12:13 am »

ojo.         @daveR…there are other combos you can try, I’m not sure where you live, but talk to your  doctor, abacavir it’s also bad for your kidneys…best of luck and please keep us posted…hugs

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #208 on: October 26, 2023, 08:54:39 am »
I know that is still classed as being under control but after the first 6 years I kind of find it disappointing, especially as I always assumed Triumeq was a superior regime

I did ask about reverting to Complera but my Dr is not happy for me to take TDF in case my kidneys get worse.

I think you know the answer. Your HIV is controlled and suppressed, and there is nothing to stress about; it's hardly even a blip and reminds me of the article "What’s All This Fuss I Hear About Viral Blips?

Anyhow, it's bothering you, and at the end of the day, that's a problem even if medically it might not be, So what can you do?

Well, keep working with your healthcare provider. As it's Triumeq (DTG + ABC + 3TC) you could change the time of day you take it to coincide with a meal like lunch or dinner and see if that makes any difference. Check that you are not taking any supplements or other meds that are interfering with absorption, and retest the viral load to see if it's lower or stable.

If you do decide to switch, prehaps talk to the doctor to see if something with TAF is an option, as it's kinder on kidneys than TDF. Like Odefsey (R + FTC + TAF) or Biktarvy (BIC + TAF + FTC)  Cabenuva would be another option, particularly considering you were already taking rilpivirine (R) in the previous combination.  There are plenty of other options, including some of the not-often-used ones, like FTC + 3TC + DTG or 2x daily DTG + 1x 3TC etc.

Anyhow, try not to stress, and if it continues to bother you and doesn't change, then, switch and remember there are plenty of combinations. I am sure you will find something with your doctor that will suit your needs. https://www.poz.com/drug_charts/hiv-medications

Keep us posted, best Jim.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 08:58:48 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2023, 10:01:57 am »
Thank you all for the words of wisdom and reassurance. I shall just persist with Triumeq until my next appointment. The issue is really more psychological than anything else. I actually feel in very good health so should appreciate that simple fact. 

Regards
Dave

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #210 on: November 06, 2023, 02:19:57 pm »
got my results back from the doctor visit last week.
Neither Larry or I have TB, Gonorrhea, chlamydia, or syphilis. So yea! to that. LOL I must admit having a stable partner makes not getting STIs real easy. And we become "good" numbers for Ryan White data.

My BP was high (ugh), A1C was a little high (5.7), and triglycerides were high too (228). Bleh! :P

Larry's cd4s have been bouncing around from 580 to 377 to 288 to 420; but his percentages are all right at or just barely below normal ranges. But I feel good about my cd4s. Finally down from 780 to 572. whew! I know, I know. I'm weird and probably the only one you know who's not afraid to have dropping or low cd4s. LOL As along as I stay 300+ I'm happy; those higher amounts just make me antsy. :D :D  cd% and cd4:cd8 ratio are still just 1 point into the "normal range". WooHoo! Only 3 decades of meds to get there.

I skipped the referral for the RSV vax. Ugh being over 60 can suck. But I rarely go out in public these days so I wasn't concerned enough to get it yet. I did, however, go get a Shingrex shot today. I need to get the next jab before my birthday in March, so that was an easy reminder to remember. My arm doesn't hurt (yet) and as long as I don't feel as crappy as we did after the covid/flu shots, I'll be happy. :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Loa111

« Reply #211 on: February 15, 2024, 12:32:51 pm »
Went for my Vampires visit yesterday. It is every 4 months now.

All normal, still UD. My CD4 is 427, and it was over 400 at my previous visit which was last October. Pleased to hear this, that my Cd4 is trending upwards the last few months, as I had a very low CD4 for years after an advanced dx.

Cholesterol is 4.19 on the scale we use here in Ireland.  They tell me this is normal, and if it goes over 5, then further measures may be required.  No updates on yesterday on giving Statins to me as a preemptive measure as some of us discussed on here recently re fairly recent research. They took an extra blood vial to test current cholesterol levels which is good.

I've been peeing a bit weird lately, going more at night, and sometimes after a pee having to go back 5 minutes later to pee a bit more, so ID doc said he will send me for an ultrasound to check all is ok there. Probably will take months & months to get this appointment as waiting lists are very long in this country.

They asked if I'd consent to giving extra blood vials for some research they are doing. This is not uncommon at my ID clinic as it is in a teaching hospital so they are often asking us to consent to research studies. So I said sure, no problem, happy to help.

Got topped up with meds for another 4 months, & back in mid-June for next ID appointment.

All in all a good ID visit, and as always I made it an enjoyable day by getting in a big breakfast in the cafe near the clinic just before my midday appointment.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #212 on: February 15, 2024, 12:39:46 pm »

All normal, still UD. My CD4 is 427, and it was over 400 at my previous visit which was last October. Pleased to hear this, that my Cd4 is trending upwards the last few months, as I had a very low CD4 for years after an advanced dx.

Cholesterol is 4.19 on the scale we use here in Ireland.  They tell me this is normal, and if it goes over 5, then further measures may be required.  No updates on yesterday on giving Statins to me as a preemptive measure as some of us discussed on here recently re fairly recent research. They took an extra blood vial to test current cholesterol levels which is good.

I've been peeing a bit weird lately, going more at night, and sometimes after a pee having to go back 5 minutes later to pee a bit more, so ID doc said he will send me for an ultrasound to check all is ok there. Probably will take months & months to get this appointment as waiting lists are very long in this country.

They asked if I'd consent to giving extra blood vials for some research they are doing. This is not uncommon at my ID clinic as it is in a teaching hospital so they are often asking us to consent to research studies. So I said sure, no problem, happy to help.

Got topped up with meds for another 4 months, & back in mid-June for next ID appointment.

All in all a good ID visit, and as always I made it an enjoyable day by getting in a big breakfast in the cafe near the clinic just before my midday appointment.

St James's Hospital?
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #213 on: February 15, 2024, 12:54:37 pm »

Anyhow, great lab results. Hope you are also feeling/doing well?

Best Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline daveR

« Reply #214 on: February 16, 2024, 06:41:02 am »
Just got the results of my six monthly check up. happy to say that after the last 3 blood test showed small viral load blips I am now back to undetectable. CD4 count 899 at 44% so very happy with those figures.

I have slackened off on my fitness routine having now turned 61 and unfortunately it shows, back to being pre-diabetic, just, and cholesterol at 258 mg on a scale that says anything over 200 is bad. I explained to the doctor that 30 years ago the number was similar but she still politely told me to start working out again. Starting Monday.

The pleasant surprise was my serum creatinine levels, 1.1, completely normal after about 5 years of being around 1.3-1.35. So again happy with that also. The conversation then turned to my meds, currently taking a two pill version of Triumeq.
She suggested dropping the Abacavir due to possible heart complications, I have read about that on here, so I would have been on a two pill version of Dovato. I wasn't to keen on that and she wasn't fully sold on it as she wants me to be undetectable for another test before I go down to two drugs. Again I have read on here about a slightly increased failure rate on two drug regimes, the doctor was also aware of this, so as my Kidney function was now good she opted for Kocitaf, DTG, TAF and FTC. Keeps me on three drugs, one exactly the same and two the same family of drugs I take now so I went along with that one. I realise TAF is associated with possible cholesterol issues so have already started the diet change and will hit the gym as planned. Kocitaf has the additional advantage of being cheaper also. A win win for me.

All in all I am feeling great and hopefully will continue to do so.

All the best
Dave

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2024, 03:55:23 am »
Just got the results of my six monthly check up. happy to say that after the last 3 blood test showed small viral load blips I am now back to undetectable. CD4 count 899 at 44% so very happy with those figures.

excellent lab results, congrats.

I have slackened off on my fitness routine having now turned 61 and unfortunately it shows, back to being pre-diabetic, just, and cholesterol at 258 mg on a scale that says anything over 200 is bad. I explained to the doctor that 30 years ago the number was similar but she still politely told me to start working out again. Starting Monday.

Sorry to hear about the pre-diabetic but hopefully you will get that under control. Good luck with the working out.

The conversation then turned to my meds, currently taking a two pill version of Triumeq.
She suggested dropping the Abacavir due to possible heart complications, I have read about that on here, so I would have been on a two pill version of Dovato. I wasn't to keen on that and she wasn't fully sold on it as she wants me to be undetectable for another test before I go down to two drugs. Again I have read on here about a slightly increased failure rate on two drug regimes, the doctor was also aware of this, so as my Kidney function was now good she opted for Kocitaf, DTG, TAF and FTC. Keeps me on three drugs, one exactly the same and two the same family of drugs I take now so I went along with that one. I realise TAF is associated with possible cholesterol issues so have already started the diet change and will hit the gym as planned. Kocitaf has the additional advantage of being cheaper also. A win win for me.

All in all I am feeling great and hopefully will continue to do so.

All the best
Dave

Great to hear you have an up-to-date doctor who understands your concerns and that you settled on a treatment you are happy to try. Good luck with the switch, keep us posted.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #216 on: February 17, 2024, 06:44:33 am »

ojo.               Hello there!… good numbers! .how about your cholesterol, you said your attorney 61 has your doctor suggested any cholesterol lower medication?. I think that my cholesterol is around same as yours even though I’m taking  a statin med and my doctor doesn’t seem to be concerned. I’m sorry about your pre-diabetic X. To tell you the truth and know anything about diabetes… keep up the good work and please keep us posted and again congratulations for those  envidable bloodwork results…hugs

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: February 17, 2024, 08:52:13 am »
I love this thread! Only because it always gets a bump the week before I go to the doctor and get my blood work done. This is a great reminder. Thank you all for having labs around the same time I do and posting about them. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline daveR

« Reply #218 on: February 17, 2024, 09:48:33 am »

ojo.               Hello there!… good numbers! .how about your cholesterol, you said your attorney 61 has your doctor suggested any cholesterol lower medication?. I think that my cholesterol is around same as yours even though I’m taking  a statin med and my doctor doesn’t seem to be concerned. I’m sorry about your pre-diabetic X. To tell you the truth and know anything about diabetes… keep up the good work and please keep us posted and again congratulations for those  envidable bloodwork results…hugs

Hi Tonny, she said she did not want to prescribe any additional medication other than my ARV's. I think she is expecting me to put in the hard work in the gym and kitchen. She did spot it though.

Dave

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #219 on: February 17, 2024, 02:31:33 pm »

ojo.           @DaveR…well, good luck and please keep us posted…hugs

Offline Loa111

« Reply #220 on: February 17, 2024, 06:39:50 pm »
St James's Hospital?
It’s Vincent’s I go.  I ended up at Vincent’s, as I went to A&E there nearly 6 years ago for violent coughing & got admitted, found out I’d pneumonia, then eventually got the poz news, so it became my ID clinic by default. It’s the only clinic I’ve ever attended. I like it there, know all the staff for years now & get really good help there.
Holistic ethos for us poz patients & always happy to check out other health issues that may affect us.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: February 19, 2024, 05:50:00 pm »
It’s Vincent’s I go.  I ended up at Vincent’s, as I went to A&E there nearly 6 years ago for violent coughing & got admitted, found out I’d pneumonia, then eventually got the poz news, so it became my ID clinic by default. It’s the only clinic I’ve ever attended. I like it there, know all the staff for years now & get really good help there.
Holistic ethos for us poz patients & always happy to check out other health issues that may affect us.

It's good that you are happy with the care they provide. Similar to the care I get, i'm in The Mater Hospital, whenever I get admitted for other issues the ID clinic get involved and even do rounds, during clinic visits if there is something I need even if it's unrelated to HIV they are happy to help.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: February 19, 2024, 05:51:30 pm »
I love this thread! Only because it always gets a bump the week before I go to the doctor and get my blood work done. This is a great reminder. Thank you all for having labs around the same time I do and posting about them. LOL

😂 Have to admit everytime someone updates this thread I start scrolling back through it to see when my next appointment is.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: February 19, 2024, 06:30:50 pm »
when my next appointment is.
Larry and I go Thurs after lunch. yipee.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: March 26, 2024, 08:44:40 am »
I called the clinic today and moved my appointment from the 4th of April to the 11th of April.

Give me an additional week to think about changing meds and what meds I would take. I'm still working on a list with options, so, I can present it to them and say "These treatment options I am willing to try, nothing else, pick one from the list"
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #225 on: March 26, 2024, 10:28:09 am »

ojo.         Hi Jim, what medication you are taking and what are you options?. I wish I had options but it is what it is. Fortunately my treatment is still working since January 2007.… Hugs.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #226 on: March 26, 2024, 11:50:28 am »
          ojo.         Hi Jim, what medication you are taking and what are you options?. I wish I had options but it is what it is. Fortunately my treatment is still working since January 2007.… Hugs.

I'm currently on Truimeg (DTG+3TC+ABC), the concern is the ABC and they want me to switch to dual treatment Dovato (DTG+3TC) and I have repeatedly refused.

I will not take the current dual therapy options and want three or more drugs, however, I absolutely will not take TDF and I don't fancy TAF either. So I'm looking for a triple-drug cocktail that doesn't contain ABC, TDF or TAF.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #227 on: March 26, 2024, 03:37:13 pm »

ojo.             ojo.       Thanks for replying, Jim, I wonder what your choices are because  of TAF is in most of the country mbnations of drugs. in my case I’m allergic to Abacavir and tenofovir… good luck

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #228 on: March 26, 2024, 03:58:46 pm »
          ojo.             ojo.       Thanks for replying, Jim, I wonder what your choices are because  of TAF is in most of the country mbnations of drugs. in my case I’m allergic to Abacavir and tenofovir… good luck

TAF & TDF are common in combinations. I like the idea of DTG + 3TC + RPV or
AM: DTG + 3TC  + PM: FTC.  Anyhow, I still have some thinking to do, I'm sure I'll come up with a few options.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:21:15 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #229 on: March 26, 2024, 05:25:41 pm »

ojo.          Hi Jim, well, I think that you have more possibilities or options. You take medication twice a day. Good luck.

Offline daveR

« Reply #230 on: March 26, 2024, 08:51:14 pm »
It's great to be living in a time where we have so many choices. I would have hated to be positive in the early days. Take these 20+ pills a day, suffer the side effects or die. No options there.

I had a similar discussion with my Dr that you plan to have on my last visit. She started it by wanting to drop ABC due to possible cardiovascular issues occurring. Wanted me to switch to Dovoto, I wasn't happy with just two drugs. Opted for Kocitaf, no good for you as it contains TAF. One relatively small pill.

I wasn't keen on RPV containing regimes due to the food requirements. I travel and work over seas and like a regular time I can stick to. Didn't want to possibly miss a dose because I was not in a position to eat and then forget I hadn't taken the pill. Although I did manage over five years on Compilers with out issue.

I am sure you will find the ideal solution.

Dave

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: March 27, 2024, 03:24:35 am »
It's great to be living in a time where we have so many choices. I would have hated to be positive in the early days. Take these 20+ pills a day, suffer the side effects or die. No options there.

I had a similar discussion with my Dr that you plan to have on my last visit. She started it by wanting to drop ABC due to possible cardiovascular issues occurring. Wanted me to switch to Dovoto, I wasn't happy with just two drugs. Opted for Kocitaf, no good for you as it contains TAF. One relatively small pill.

I wasn't keen on RPV containing regimes due to the food requirements. I travel and work over seas and like a regular time I can stick to. Didn't want to possibly miss a dose because I was not in a position to eat and then forget I hadn't taken the pill. Although I did manage over five years on Compilers with out issue.

I am sure you will find the ideal solution.

Dave

Not having any food requirements makes life easier certainly when you have an irregular or unpredictable schedule. DTG+FTC+TAF is a solid combination and I hope the switch goes well.

I should be okay with RPV as my evening meals are pretty regular. It will be interesting when I next visit the clinic.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: March 28, 2024, 07:16:37 pm »
So I finally had an hour to myself today... I don't want, TDF, TAF, EVG, BIC  or Injectables.

On the "Yes" list:

DTG + RPV + 3TC
DTG + RPV + FTC

DTG + DOR + 3TC
DTG + DOR + FTC

(DTG + DOR is not usually combined, but has been tested as a potential therapy and was safe)

On the "Crazy but Yes" list:

AM: DTG + 3TC & PM: FTC
(3TC is very similar to FTC and not normally combined, However, the FTC in this scenario is only an evening booster, FTC has greater potency and a more favourable pharmacokinetic profile than 3TC

My guess is they will not like these options but its either this, nothing or continue with Truimeg 

I will update the thread on the 11th of April
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 07:19:55 pm by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #233 on: March 29, 2024, 05:09:57 am »
You can't tolerate the TAF component of Biktarvy ?

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #234 on: March 29, 2024, 05:17:03 am »
You can't tolerate the TAF component of Biktarvy ?

I'm not willing to risk finding out.

To give some context, since TDF came out millions of people have taken it and it's fine for the overwhelming majority. TAF also seems to be going well. However, my experince with TDF was so bad (I'm the exception) that although TAF is the updated version, I will not risk it.

If my only treatment option included TAF I would rather risk a break from treatment. This is also something I have discussed with my partner.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 05:19:25 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #235 on: March 29, 2024, 09:43:38 am »
DTG + RPV + 3TC
that's not a bad choice. It's similar to regimens Larry and I are taking.

Larry takes
DTG + RPV + DRV/c
Tivicay, Edurant, Prezcobix

while I use
DTG + DRV/c
Tivicay, Prezcobix

Now that I'm writing this down, I realize I'm basically on a dual therapy. :o :o Not bad for how many ARVs I've used through the years, along with several bouts of resistance. Take that, all you "salvage" regimens I had to go through to get to this point! :D I do also take acyclovir daily, which while not an ARV does have antiviral properties.

Epivir/3TC is an interesting one. I developed resistance to it way back when. Which was an f-ing bother as it is such a tiny pill in comparison to the huge norvir/Ritonavir capsules I was also taking in that regimen. (I mean, really! If I had to lose a medication it couldn't be the terrible ones or the huge ones; but the easiest of all ARVs to swallow. UGH! LOL) It's interesting because the mutation itself is defective and eventually a patient will lose the mutation and be able to use epivir again.

well, I downloaded a thesis study about DTG + DRV/c from the 25th CROI to read on our plane trip to AZ next week (Larry and I are going to visit his family out there). Just a little light reading to break up from my MM novels. ;D
https://livrepository.liverpool.ac.uk/3076608/1/201151845_Oct2019.pdf
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline CalvinC

« Reply #236 on: March 29, 2024, 01:12:22 pm »
Reading over these recent entries for the first time....

I had no idea that there are such complexities to taking hiv meds. I started about eight or so years ago on Genvoya and just recently switched to Biktarvy, only because my GP said I should. I never questioned why or gave it a second thought. I must be fortunate, as I've never noticed a single thing. It's always been like taking a vitamin pill. I feel nothing, no reactions, life goes on.

I'm sorry to know that that isn't the case for everyone, when I thought that it was. Hope you all find what works.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #237 on: March 29, 2024, 04:49:59 pm »
I must be fortunate, as I've never noticed a single thing. It's always been like taking a vitamin pill. I feel nothing, no reactions, life goes on.

The meds are generally great nowadays, I believe the vast majority of people who started treatment within the last 10 years +-  take their meds, get settled in, move on with their lives and might switch when and if something better comes along.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2024, 06:20:56 pm »
I had no idea that there are such complexities to taking hiv meds.
really since the advent of Atripla around 2005-2006, HIV treatment has radically changed for the good. It's not just that we got a pill a day regimens; but a lot of the "kinks" (ie negative side effects) of HIV treatment were finally getting worked out and more effective meds were developed.

Since then the people who have the most issues with meds are either people who have lived with HIV a long time (because they started out on earlier meds) or people who have resistance issues (from inadequate adherence).

Complexities? LOL Picture setting your alarm for every 4 hours every day and night to wake up and take 4 AZT pills. every day. forever. Or taking a huge tablet that had to be crushed up and tasted like chalk. Or trying to remember which pills (or liquid meds) you had to take 2 hrs before, or 4 hrs after, or with food. (I used to have a keep a chart just to get through a day.) The last 15 yrs of treatment have been so much better than the 15 yrs before.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2024, 04:37:40 am »
Quickest clinic visit ever  :) Less than 3 mins and I did 90% of the talking.

All labs are fine. CD4 850 42%, VL supressed. Quick discussion on meds, I'm not willing to take Dovato end of story, my risks are low so six more months of Triumeq. This gives them time to consider the options I provided.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #240 on: April 11, 2024, 05:31:20 am »

ojo.              Congratulations Jim, grey numbers. I’m glad that your visit to the clinic was Quick. I like the 42%.… Ha

Offline Loa111

« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2024, 05:32:53 am »
Quickest clinic visit ever  :) Less than 3 mins and I did 90% of the talking.

I'm not willing to take Dovato end of story, my risks are low so six more months of Triumeq. This gives them time to consider the options I provided.

Glad to hear it went well Jim.  :)

I noticed from your past Vampire posts, your ID visits seem quick & to the point. The Mater I think you said? Curious if the quickness is down to you keeping it that way or is it more the clinic ethos with an unwillingness to get involved in other issues?

Where I go at Vincents, they take a holistic ethos, & usually are very interested in exploring other health issues which may crop up & might do an examination, or run an extra blood test etc. I always will bring up any extra genuine issues (aside from stupid stuff like getting the cold etc) & ID Doc is willing to explore it, then great! Maybe because I've a family GP who I suspect does not fully get the Hiv thing & anytime I went to her since my dx, bounced me back to the ID clinic.

Interested to learn what other treatment options might be presented to you over the next 6 months. Keep us posted.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2024, 05:41:07 am »
Glad to hear it went well Jim.  :)

I noticed from your past Vampire posts, your ID visits seem quick & to the point. The Mater I think you said? Curious if the quickness is down to you keeping it that way or is it more the clinic ethos with an unwillingness to get involved in other issues?

Where I go at Vincents, they take a holistic ethos, & usually are very interested in exploring other health issues which may crop up & might do an examination, or run an extra blood test etc. I always will bring up any extra genuine issues (aside from stupid stuff like getting the cold etc) & ID Doc is willing to explore it, then great! Maybe because I've a family GP who I suspect does not fully get the Hiv thing & anytime I went to her since my dx, bounced me back to the ID clinic.

Interested to learn what other treatment options might be presented to you over the next 6 months. Keep us posted.

The Mater Hospital is excellent and they do offer holistic care, additional health screenings, vaccinations etc & if I needed anything at all they would be happy to help. When admitted to hospital for unrelated matters they would still come down and visit me daily and have helped speed up waiting times and treatment for other issues.

In the past they would probe into everything that happened since my last visit and provide additional care or treatment. However, I don't need or want that.  So I keep them focused, after 5 mins I start tapping my watch. 

My other medical issues are well managed, something not everyone can do or has the luxury to do. Keep in mind I have free GP visit card, so it doesn't cost me anything and Laya insurance to visit the Laya clinic and they provide excellent health care.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2024, 07:23:10 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2024, 05:47:21 am »
:)
Will do. I suspect most patients just take whatever they are told is best, not trying to make it difficult for them, I just know what I want or don't want.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Loa111

« Reply #244 on: April 11, 2024, 08:42:34 am »
The Mater Hospital is excellent and they do offer holistic care, additional health screenings, vaccinations etc & if I needed anything at all they would be happy to help. When admitted to hospital for unrelated matters they would still come down and visit me daily and have helped speed up waiting times and treatment for other issues.

In the past they would probe into everything that happened since my last visit and provide additional care or treatment. However, I don't need or want that.  So I keep them focused, after 5 mins I start tapping my watch. 

That is great to hear Jim. It is good to know that other ID clinics in Ireland do a great job too.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #245 on: April 11, 2024, 02:39:16 pm »

ojo.              Congratulations Jim, grey numbers. I’m glad that your visit to the clinic was Quick. I like the 42%.… Ha

ojo.           *hugs

Sorry For The Typo

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.