Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:08:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 347
Total: 347

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dec 1, 2007 World Aids Day. What Are You gonna do?  (Read 15350 times)

Dan J.

Dec 1, 2007 World Aids Day. What Are You gonna do?
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:02:31 am »
Here in Jackson my ASO is having a  short "walk" (just a few blocks) downtown & then they are having their annual "Christmas Party" for the clients.  Everything they do is low key. The people that "run the show" don't like to  bring too much attention to themselves or the group. they live in fear that the community will backlash at us for being HIV +.  What a shame.

Do you have any plans for Dec 1st?

All of the members of this forum will be in my thoughts that day... As you are everyday.

Dan

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
Re: Dec 1, 2007 World Aids Day. What Are You gonna do?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:17:04 am »
I will be riding my bicycle from Golden Gate Park to Sausalito and then to Mill Valley and back with my cycling group "Positive Pedalers".  We will all ride wearing red and there will be simultaneous rides all over the country ( NY, Philly, L.A etc....).  We will have media coverage and there will be a memorial at Golden Gate's AIDS memorial gardens (the same place we had our memorial at AMG).
I will have a flag on my bike with the names of all the loved ones we have lost to AIDS.  If you would like to have a name of someone you want to remember, please let me know I will be honored to add it their names to my flag and to the list of names we will read out loud during the memorial.
You will all be with me in spirit as I ride out Saturday morning.

Rich
(who knows he will need a box of tissues with him that day)
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Paulette

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 11:28:24 am »
Well recently I mailed all my family and friends a red ribbon and a bumper sticker that has a red ribbon on it that reads

Aids Awareness

Education
Compassion
Prevention

I've ask them to wear the ribbon to bring awareness and show support for those that are infected /affected by HIV/AIDS and to display the bumper sticker on their car/trucks.
No plans yet, trying to find something to get into that day. So if you know of any Atlanta events let me know;
Thanks
Paulette
I will be riding my bicycle from Golden Gate Park to Sausalito and then to Mill Valley and back with my cycling group "Positive Pedalers".  We will all ride wearing red and there will be simultaneous rides all over the country ( NY, Philly, L.A etc....).  We will have media coverage and there will be a memorial at Golden Gate's AIDS memorial gardens (the same place we had our memorial at AMG).
I will have a flag on my bike with the names of all the loved ones we have lost to AIDS.  If you would like to have a name of someone you want to remember, please let me know I will be honored to add it their names to my flag and to the list of names we will read out loud during the memorial.
You will all be with me in spirit as I ride out Saturday morning.

Rich
(who knows he will need a box of tissues with him that day)

Thanks for taking us along; wishing you the best on your journey.
Paulette
I have HIV; it doesn't me;)

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:18 am »
Talk about coincidence... I'll celebrate my 40th birthday on Dec 1st.  ;D

Some friends come around to my place, everybody brings food and booze and eventually, we all get stuffed and, hopefully, happy. Some of them are poz too, and it's been a rule that we don't discuss our illnesses that day. Later on, we'll go out to a charity disco party. Fortunately, it's a Saturday.

As for WAD action, there's a booth of the local AIDS support group in the city center to raise awareness. They collect money, give out flyers and free condoms, and sell red ribbons, mulled wine and the annual edition of the AIDS bear. There's a new bear design every year, and in 2007 it's gonna be the rap bear (see below). As you can imagine, I have already a collection of these bears since I've gotten one as birthday present for quite a few years. :D

"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:49:20 am »
I will be spending it how I do every year, crying.  I buried my 198th friend three months ago and have lost one friend in each of the past five years.  While I admire those who can actively participate in a greater purpose, I just let the tears flow or my heart would surely burst.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 11:55:30 am »
While I admire those who can actively participate in a greater purpose, I just let the tears flow or my heart would surely burst.

I don't see anything "lesser" about your purpose, Joe.  Not a damn thing.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 12:02:29 pm »
You are right Thunter, I chose the wrong word, because to me there is no greater purpose on AIDS Day than to mourn and honor my friends and loved ones.  Thank you for the beautiful sentiment, you really made my day.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 12:07:28 pm »
I don't see anything "lesser" about your purpose, Joe.  Not a damn thing.

Amen youth pastor Tim!
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 05:18:38 pm »
I'll be working as usual, but will remember those who walked before me, those who are walking with me now, and those who will walk after me...

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 05:20:08 pm »
Maybe this just a passing mood on my part, but I don't think so. Sometimes, and this year is one of those times, I get really angry about World AIDS Day. Because it just seems to me as if it's an opportunity for politicians, media and many others to pay some lip service to the epidemic and then go back pretty much to business as usual after the services, the promises, the remembrances.

What I would like is 364 World AIDS Days and 1 day No attention to AIDS DAY.

I didn't promise I would be rational about this.

I don't want to cry right now and I don't want to mourn at this moment.

How are we supposed to take anything seriously that any public official says about AIDS or  remembrance when we know that AIDS still carries a huge stigma, one that is baldly reflected in the onerous restrictions on travel into the US by foreigners. I mean, GET REAL! For starters, I'll believe something is changing for the better when those restrictions are lifted without any reservations.

And when ADAP is sufficiently funded to make waiting lists a thing of the past. And there are monies for realistic prevention programs that result in a drop in new infections. Those are what I would call events worthy of a real WORLD AIDS commemoration. And those kinds of actions would be meaningful ways of honoring those we have lost in the epidemic. And continue to lose.

Feel free to ask anyone WHAT ARE YOU DOING ABOUT AIDS THE REST OF THE YEAR is how I see it.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 05:23:02 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:42:33 pm »
andy i hear ya, i really do

ok so here's my this year's wad rundown:
wed - article featuring yours truly in regional paper (i have to confess under a fake name because i quite like my house having windows & also it's a disciplinary offense for me to talk to the papers) having a bit of a moan about stigma and the hypocrisy of [negative] people
fri - 'wear red to work day' awareness & fundraising + info & awareness compiled by moi on bbc public info screen in my city
sat - world aids day vigil (which i am on the steering group of) + info & awareness compiled by moi on bbc public info screen in my city + article on US travel ban featuring your very own englishgirl and emma (gemini20) on times online travel section, plus in the morning im gonna turn up to a session my local mp is doing and berate him for ignoring my communications re the travel ban

we've decided one our steering group aims for the next few years is to raise enough for a memorial of some form in our city, so fingers crossed on that one...

now cerrid how do i get my hands on one of those bears?
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 07:10:52 pm »
Still has no clue about what is happening around here WAD. I will be giving thanks for still being here and to those who go out there on behalf of us. And lighting a candle for those who have passed.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 07:13:50 pm »

Tomorrow (friday) I'm doing an interview on the local radio. We talked about postponing it because I'm still a little wobbly after my recent break-up, but we came to a rather interesting compromise.

My argument for postponing was "AIDS isn't just for December first, ya know". Kinda like the "a puppy isn't just for Christmas" thingy. His argument for NOT postponing was "but like it or not, WAD is NOW".

So here's the compromise. I'll do the interview tomorrow and he'll have me back on the show in six months time. I'm gonna hold him to that too.

The interview will start around 11am my time, that's 6am on the East coast, USA. You can listen to it live, or you can listen to it afterwards. Here's the link:

http://www.manxradio.com/listenagain.aspx

The show is called "Talking Heads".

If you want to listen to it live, you can go to the same link and look for the "listen AM" and "listen FM" buttons near the top right-hand side of the page. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you want FM.

Now I've got to get my ass in bed or I'll be talking gobbledegook tomorrow. I've had bad brainfog all day (took me ages to drag the word "compromise" out of my head) and I hope I'm not like that tomorrow too. Otherwise, you'll hear me saying "thingy" and "whatsis" loads of times and I probably won't get asked back next summer.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 07:28:49 pm »
Matty the Damned intends to advance his plans for World DominationTM.

MtD

Offline minismom

• Quocumque jeceris stabit
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 07:55:48 pm »
We've honestly never celebrated - never knew there was such a thing, actually.  We used to have a red ribbon on our car, but thought that the red was taken over by MADD so we took it off.  However, I REALLY want one of those bears.  If there's a link to buy one, please post it or IM me.  But, for this year we already had plans to decorate for Christmas.  We'll keep our plans and say a prayer for all of our new friends.

mum
www.watoto.com
www.MotherBearProject.org
"Whichever way you throw me, i will stand"
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today...it's already tomorrow in Australia"  Charles Schultz

Offline poz1970

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 08:02:40 pm »
Going to a World Aids Day BBQ at the local Positive Living Centre here in Adelaide, South Australia.. taking the negative partner, and HOPEFULLY his two kids :-D

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 08:08:59 pm »
Oooh, an AIDS picnic in Veale Gardens. How appropriate. :)

MtD

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 10:50:14 pm »
I'm going to a friends house and having a potluck dinner with several pos buddies.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 11:21:52 pm »
Like Joe, I cry a lot on Dec 1st.   It's a tough one for me.   We've lost so many and every day, more and more people become positive.

I think this is a good opportunity for me to post the prayer that Jan and I handed out on our memorial cards at AMG 06 in Montreal:

Dear Father/Mother God,

Behold, visit and relieve
all persons with HIV/AIDS; give the power
of healing to those who remember and
care for them and to those who seek a cure;
strengthen the weak,
encourage those who fear,
and comfort those who mourn,
that our sickness may be turned into health
and our sorrow into joy.
Use us as ambassadors of hope and healing,
and assist us daily as we walk
faithful in our calling.
Unite us in love, and let us
always remain connected to the power of

THE CIRCLE OF LIGHT

and so it is......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline poz1970

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 11:37:15 pm »
Oooh, an AIDS picnic in Veale Gardens. How appropriate. :)

MtD

Nah, thats where they held the picnic in the park this year (cough)  allegedly it was well attended!

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 11:38:07 pm »
Matty the Damned has fond memories of being held in Veale Gardens.

Boom-Tish!

MtD

Offline poz1970

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 11:41:51 pm »
Matty the Damned has fond memories of being held in Veale Gardens.

Boom-Tish!

MtD

Never went to veale, much prefer to go to 431.. unlimited hot showers! (I finished harry potter and the order of the phoenix there.. sad eh?)

J

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:33 pm »
I dunno, there's just something about the smell of trough lollies and wet earth that only a public beat can bring to an amorous encounter.

:)

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2007, 12:11:09 am »
Matty the Damned intends to advance his plans for World DominationTM.

MtD

Scary, but I'm wearing my World Domination t-shirt today.

For World Aids Day, I intend on hanging around the park across the road from about 9pm onwards to see if I can't catch me some stray meat leaving the Summer Gay Day Out, or whatever it is called. How sad (or exciting) is that.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2007, 12:16:10 am »
Exciting! And congratulations on breaking the 1000+ post count. ;)

MtD

Offline DCGUY2007

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 02:28:21 am »
I'm ashamed to say I forgot it was Worlds Aids day Dec 1st. Now that I know I will donate some money to an Aids charity. I will also remember to give thanks for all those people who have died before me that went through so many medical trials to make it possible for me to have HIV medications that work for me now.

Thanks for posting this.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 02:46:45 am »
Here in Sonoma County we have an annual event called "Dining Out for Life"  There is usually about 40-50 restaurants which donate about 10% of the dinner and drink checks to Food for Thought, Sonoma Counties AIDS Food Bank.

Over the weekend (Saturday and Sunday) there will be a presentation of the AIDS Quilt Project at the Guerneville Veterans Hall followed by cocktails at Rainbow Cattle Company in Guerneville.

I ran into my friend Ginger in the clinic waiting room the other day.  Ginger founded an HIV Support for Heterosexual people living with HIV.  She spoke of a presentation at Sonoma State University by her group with the founder of the Quilt Project as keynote speaker.

Somewhere in one of my pockets is a list of events but can not find at the moment.  I plan on having dinner at one of the restaurants sponsoring Dining Out for Life, seeing the Quilt and having a drink.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline 404error

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2007, 03:06:26 am »
I'm going to sell a quarter pound of hash to a friend from Vancouver sometime in the early afternoon then meet up with some friends for dinner and drinks before heading to the Tool concert where I have floor seats.
A social critic who promotes equality...

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2007, 08:34:49 am »
saturdays is multi-lingual Scrabble day round mine. might wear my new scarf to the park, for a bit of cloud spotting & thinking too.

other than that, i will be living with aids. same as every other day.

increasingly, that feels enough.

kate

Offline indyguy

• Hoosier Boy Single Again.
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2007, 09:34:28 am »
I think I will get drunk, but I will wear red while doing it.
Meds doing well so far.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2007, 09:39:51 am »
I am sad to discover that Charlotte has no official event on Dec 1. 

They are doing a one hour ceremony at 4:00 p.m. today which angers me somewhat.  That they would do it on the day before World Aids Day and at a time when most people will still be in work is very telling of how much HIV and AIDS is still being hidden in my new home.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2007, 10:28:43 am »
I know what you mean Iggy...

Birmingham AIDS Outreach held their W.A.D. event yesterday (Nov 29th)...

It's a different day and age....as Andy stated above, just another "photo op" for officials, etc.

I remember one especially moving W.A.D. event back in the early 90's in Atlanta...I think it had something to do with "a day without Art" (not sure on that) but they had this huge projector and were projecting images of PWA's and their lives on the outside of the High Museum.   I remember standing out in the cold, crying and looking at those images on that stark white buildling.   This was pre-protease days, and AIDS was definitely still a death sentence.

On Dec. 1st, I will be remembering all those we have lost, and the loss of many of my good friends, including James and Christine from AIDSmeds.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2007, 11:50:31 am »
I JUST CAME OUT AT WORK
I'm still not sure how people will react but honestly I don't care!  All I care is that they (my co workers) can't say they don't know anyone who has HIV...and that hopefully it will inspire at least one person to join me in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
So how did I do it...
I am wearing red and a T-SHIRT that reads CHANGE THE COURSE OF THE EPIDEMIC.  I made red ribbons for the entire office and pinned it on everyone at work.  Than I sent a blast email about my bike ride tomorrow morning and the letter begins with " Do you know anyone who has been affected by HIV/AIDS?  The answer is YES YOU DO...YOU KNOW ME!!!! "...

Rich
(who is an emotional wreck right now)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2007, 01:12:11 pm »
I JUST CAME OUT AT WORK
I'm still not sure how people will react but honestly I don't care!  All I care is that they (my co workers) can't say they don't know anyone who has HIV...and that hopefully it will inspire at least one person to join me in the fight against HIV/AIDS.
So how did I do it...
I am wearing red and a T-SHIRT that reads CHANGE THE COURSE OF THE EPIDEMIC.  I made red ribbons for the entire office and pinned it on everyone at work.  Than I sent a blast email about my bike ride tomorrow morning and the letter begins with " Do you know anyone who has been affected by HIV/AIDS?  The answer is YES YOU DO...YOU KNOW ME!!!! "...

Rich

Rich,

That is absolutely fantastic! I love what you wrote in the email and I hope you have nothing but positive, supportive reactions. Good luck - and let us know how it goes.

Good luck with the bike ride tomorrow as well. I hope the weather is just perfect for you.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2007, 02:06:36 pm »
I put my thoughts and reflections in my blog this month about World Aids Day....
                       www.peakoutofthebox.blogspot.com

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 02:09:35 pm »
Git up. Walk Three miles. Hit golf balls for a few hours. watch football. Sleep.Walk Three miles. Eat dinner. Go to bed.

Offline Tim Horn

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 02:41:38 pm »
I'm going to sell a quarter pound of hash to a friend from Vancouver sometime in the early afternoon [...]

What a clever thing to write in a forum that's public and cached by Google and every other major search engine. Shall I send the subpoena from the feds to your home or work address?

Tim Horn

Offline Basquo

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 02:44:40 pm »
I JUST CAME OUT AT WORK
So how did I do it...

Rich

Rich, wow!  You are quite an inspiration, my friend!

Offline 404error

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 02:46:58 pm »
What a clever thing to write in a forum that's public and cached by Google and every other major search engine. Shall I send the subpoena from the feds to your home or work address?

If you'd like.  I live in British Columbia.  The police really don't care.  With the serious drug problems we have here (crack, heroin and meth) marijuana is the least of their problems.  You can smoke it openly on the streets and no one will say anything.  Also since it isn't going to be broken up into smaller quantities, I couldn't be busted for trafficking.  I love lax Canadian pot law.  Technically illegal, just like jaywalking...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 02:50:08 pm by 404error »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 02:58:08 pm »
I JUST CAME OUT AT WORK
So how did I do it...

Rich

Just adding another voice of support (and gratitude) to Rich for what he has done. 

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 03:10:35 pm »
If you'd like.  I live in British Columbia.  The police really don't care.  With the serious drug problems we have here (crack, heroin and meth) marijuana is the least of their problems.  You can smoke it openly on the streets and no one will say anything.  Also since it isn't going to be broken up into smaller quantities, I couldn't be busted for trafficking.  I love lax Canadian pot law.  Technically illegal, just like jaywalking...

Either as an error or upallnight you just don't have much to offer. Good luck in your future aids decisions.

Offline 404error

« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2007, 03:38:41 pm »
Either as an error or upallnight you just don't have much to offer. Good luck in your future aids decisions.

Wow!  Another jab in internetland.  Perhaps my days would be better spent googling the world wide web for news stories on hypocritical republican indiscretions, or creating fake accounts on dating sites to manipulate others into providing me with information that I'd otherwise never have?  Those would certainly be great offerings!

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2007, 06:04:34 pm »
I JUST CAME OUT AT WORK
So how did I do it...

Rich
rich youre the greatest, bravest, most totally fab person.
i hope your day has been everything you hoped and nothing you feared. if your colleagues have half as much respect for you as we all do here then you'll be their hero.
in total respect (and hoping to follow in your footsteps one day)
THANK YOU
tons of love
xxxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2007, 06:07:16 pm »
Well done Rich!

:-*

MtD

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2007, 06:15:49 pm »
So very proud of you Rich..and I love the E-mail you sent to your co-workers.

Have a great day.

(((hugs)))
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline mjmel

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2007, 07:30:55 pm »
Rich! So Brave...so bold. You Go!
 :-*
Mike M

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2007, 09:17:43 pm »
I JUST CAME OUT AT WORK
So how did I do it...

Rich

Hey Rich!

You deserve a drum roll for your actions.  OOPS, the percussion department is on strike today...  ;D Would you settle for some Republican Congress toe tapping? Rat a Tat Tat, Rat a at Tat Tat, Rat a Tat Tat  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Have the best day
Michael

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 11:58:18 am »

Tomorrow (friday) I'm doing an interview on the local radio. We talked about postponing it because I'm still a little wobbly after my recent break-up, but we came to a rather interesting compromise.

My argument for postponing was "AIDS isn't just for December first, ya know". Kinda like the "a puppy isn't just for Christmas" thingy. His argument for NOT postponing was "but like it or not, WAD is NOW".

So here's the compromise. I'll do the interview tomorrow and he'll have me back on the show in six months time. I'm gonna hold him to that too.

The interview will start around 11am my time, that's 6am on the East coast, USA. You can listen to it live, or you can listen to it afterwards. Here's the link:

http://www.manxradio.com/listenagain.aspx

The show is called "Talking Heads".

If you want to listen to it live, you can go to the same link and look for the "listen AM" and "listen FM" buttons near the top right-hand side of the page. I'm not entirely sure, but I think you want FM.

Now I've got to get my ass in bed or I'll be talking gobbledegook tomorrow. I've had bad brainfog all day (took me ages to drag the word "compromise" out of my head) and I hope I'm not like that tomorrow too. Otherwise, you'll hear me saying "thingy" and "whatsis" loads of times and I probably won't get asked back next summer.

Ann

i just listened to all 24 minutes of Ann's radio interview on Manx Radio.  She was great.  It's well worth a listen.

Just go to http://www.manxradio.com/listenagain.aspx, then click the "Talking Heads 1" link under "Friday Shows".

Brava, Ann!

Peter

Offline Iggy

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2007, 12:32:36 pm »
I listened to the link proved in the other thread and agree that I am truly proud to have Ann be a public face for us.

I'm going to also add my awe at someone else here (please hold back the chokes of lovely dovey couple stuff  :D) but I have to admit that Jeromy truly impressed me greatly on the day...and sort of gave a clear proof to something that was brought up in Ann's interview about being poz and people not even knowing it because they can't visually tell.

What Jeromy did was wear a shirt that said "We all have AIDS" and then went about his business as if it was just another day.  Not counting previous discussions about the merit of that particular phrase for HIV and AIDS awareness, what impressed me the most was the symbolism of it all as I just mentioned.

He let the world around us make their own thoughts and decisions of whether he was poz or not (though he would have very easily stated so if asked as he has in the past) and let their own internal or external discussions begin as we shopped in Target for Christmas decorations or a furniture store for a lamp. 

A number of people did notice and stopped and stared, and I think it was great for people to realize that someone next to them shopping or going to a movie or just quarreling with their partner (my fault, I admit  ;) ) may be positive, and outside of that are not so strange or scary, and in some ways  quite the same with their concerns and daily life (per se) that the non-infected have. 

We only had one sort of bad encounter...though it really wasn't bad in the end result.  We were going to a local store for EVEN MORE DOOR DECORATIONS (sorry...the quarrel of that day seeped through) and we passed this couple.  The guy saw Jeromy's shirt and laughed and said "He shirt says we all have AIDS" and without missing a beat, the woman just looked at him and with a certain tone to be relished said "It is WORLD AIDS day."

Based on that expereince, I do have hope that maybe people do get the point.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2007, 12:55:25 pm »
Ann, you did a great job on the interview. I'm proud of you.

Rodney

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.