Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:00:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 359
Total: 360

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Can't seem to get motivated to do anything  (Read 9014 times)

Offline koderkev

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Messages from Krypton
Can't seem to get motivated to do anything
« on: May 02, 2009, 06:16:21 pm »
Hey all.  I wondered if anyone else is having this problem.  I've been poz for 21 years now, lost my last husband about 10 months ago.  I've been getting therapy for grief issues and am on both welbutrin and celexa for depression.  My haart regimen includes norvir, epzicom, isentress, and prezista.
My problem is that I sleep about 12 hours a day most days.  I'm a night owl anyway, but I go to bed around 3am and expect to wake around 11am, but instead it's 2:30pm before I wake up.  When I do wake up sooner, say 10 or 11am, I spend most of the day draggy and fall asleep watching TV.  And even when I wake early, I can't seem to get any motivation to go anywhere or do anything.
Do you all think this is still depression, or is it meds or just getting older (I'm only 48, not elderly).  I guess I need to know if others have the same problem or if it's just me.  I've never been an early riser, but it's much more of a problem now than it ever was.

kk
I distrust morning people largely because I suspect them of getting together one morning and setting up the rules of civilization while the rest of us slept.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Can't seem to get motivated to do anything
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »
Yeah, that's all a big, classic sign of depression -- excessive sleeping and inability to motivate. 

First I'd discuss this in detail with your therapist, but if you're in therapy I'd assume you'd have done so -- is so what feedback did you get?  I've had periods where I did all of this, and it's more a matter of breaking out of this cycle.  OK, so you're a night owl.  Fine.  But go ahead and force yourself to get up -- set the alarm clock for 10 am which will give you 7 hours of sleep.  And no, the snooze button isn't an option.  If you're bad with that button place the alarm clock on the other side of the bedroom so that you have to physically get up and out of bed to shut it off.  If need be buy a second alarm clock.  Be consistent in doing what I just described.

Then make up a program of sorts -- write it down in a notebook.  Chores to do around the house and other little projects.  And tackle more than one project per day -- maybe schedule one project for the morning, and then a separate one (or two) in the afternoon.  This provides a regimented environment just as if you were at work in an office.  And these projects need not be all domestic, dreary stuff -- you can schedule things like a movie once a week and then eat somewhere by yourself after the movie.  Gets you out of the house.  You can also set about doing educational things -- find a topic you want to learn more about like something to do with history, and then go research it at a public library.  Take notes in a notebook just like you were back in college... just schedule something like this a couple of times a week and ADHERE to doing it. 

Once you've worked your way up through keeping to a schedule then look into volunteering somewhere in your area as this will also provide structure, plus you'll be helping others as well as providing yourself an environment to allow for social interaction, which is immeasurably important.  Also look into a HIV support group -- provides a place to talk of course, but the social interaction is also good.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline koderkev

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Messages from Krypton
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2009, 10:55:09 pm »
Miss Philicia, I had a feeling someone would post something like you did.  And it hurts to hear the truth, but better to hear it here than somewhere else.
You're right, of course.  I have thought the same solution might work, and having it reinforced by you helps.
OK, that's it then!  Time to get off my ass and do something!

kk
I distrust morning people largely because I suspect them of getting together one morning and setting up the rules of civilization while the rest of us slept.

Offline weasel

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 09:25:37 pm »
Hey KK ,

miss P has good advice !

I also have also found the words of Martha Stewert  really help !

"  If you can't do everything ? , AT LEAST DO SOMETHING ! "

This has worked for me for years !

I do a little and a little leads to more and then you find yourself  out of a  slump

and back in the swing of things .

I hope you are doing better !

I also found  that when I stopped ALL  sugar my mood  soared !

I no longer eat any sugar , and stay away from white food ! feel great !

My mental pills just never made me feel all right !

But eatting right helps a lot !

just saying , Carl
" Live and let Live "

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.