Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:10:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773291
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 710
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 687
Total: 687

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV Positive and Auto Immune Disease  (Read 3285 times)

Offline comamo32

HIV Positive and Auto Immune Disease
« on: October 28, 2009, 07:19:55 pm »
Okay, I am looking for help. I was diagnosed in 2001 and have been doing great on medication until I developed a connective tissue autoimmune disease. I am wondering if there is anyone out there in the same situation and what they are doing that works. I am now taking immune suppressant for the autoimmune and that is not good for the HIV treatment side. Any ideas anyone?

Offline Delby

Re: HIV Positive and Auto Immune Disease
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 04:27:06 pm »
Comamo,

I was diagnosed with HIV 4 yrs ago. I rapidly progressed to meds within 14months of diagnosis.

After my seroconversion, one of the thing i suffered with was diarrhea approx 20-30 times a day. Anyway to cut a very long story short after many hospital admissions and biopsies i was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, which is also an autoimmune disease. It has been horrific and has resulted in many hospital admissions, bleeding from my back passage, terrible abdominal pain and diarrhea all day long everyday. So i was put on prednisolone, high dosage steriods which act as an immunosuppressant and have been on and off them for 12 months. Again, to cut a long story short they havent worked and the Dr wants me to begin Azathioprine. This is a very powerful immunosuppressant that is used for transplant patients. I have rejected his advice due to the concern i have about it affecting my CD4's. Despite my fears I have spoken to some tope HIV drs who have assured me that as long as i am montitored it should be fine and will not affect my immune function.

What medication are you on? How has it affected your CD4's since taking them?

Offline comamo32

Re: HIV Positive and Auto Immune Disease
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2009, 07:07:38 pm »
Delby thank you for your response. I was taking Viramune, Acyclovir and I forget the other one. Beginning this year I am on Truvada, Isentress and Acyclovir. I am currently on Prednisone since the Rheumatologist found my muscle enzyme was too high and was causing extreme pain. I have not had a running stomach but I am constipated instead. I have one maybe two bowel movements a WEEK. I have been referred to a Gastro doc and my appt is this coming Thursday. I have really tried to keep myself healthy but something is just off. I even tried juicing to see if it would help with the inflammation but no luck.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.