Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i just found out, i'm totally lost  (Read 6423 times)

Offline aschke

i just found out, i'm totally lost
« on: March 09, 2011, 12:26:22 am »
I just found out that my ex was in the hospital with a AIDS related pneumonia.  he had no idea
and now i just tested positive.  i'm in a new city where i don't know many people
i dont even know how to begin dealing with this.  i just need someone to talk to

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: i just found out, i'm totally lost
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 12:39:18 am »
Take a breath.  You've found this place, and that's a good thing.  Someone is here all the time.  If not me, there are plenty of seasoned voices here that can help guide you.  Talk.  Someone will answer.  It may take a bit between posts, but someone will answer.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline aschke

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:57:39 am »
thank you for the encouragement.  i'm trying to reconcile it all.
i "did everything right".  i was safe when i was dating.  i found a guy i loved and we were monogamous but i guess he brought something along with him.
i can't fault him, he didn't know either.  he said he got tested regularly too...

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 03:32:43 am »
Hi Aschke

This is my standard reply to those who have just tested positive, I hope in some small way it will help.

Reaction to the results is difffernt for everyone, but over time you will find a way of coping with the virus that suits you and it might be quite differnt from how others deal with it.

No one here will ever tell you it's easy, it's ok to get angry or scared but don't let it take over your life, stress is natural it can actually help some of us get through certain situations but excessive stress can cause you physical symptoms and can damage your immune system further, just find ways to manage any stress you may be feeling, learn to relax and listen to your body.

Of course along with HIV comes anxiety, and one way of tackling this is through information, gaining confidence in yourself and making informed decisions about your future.

Support is very important and you can get this from a qualified ID doctor or family and friends that you trust, and there are many support organizations out there...just make sure whoever you discuss this with is sympathetic ,supporting and non judgmental about your HIV status, those of us who are livign with HIV live with the reality that disclosure might result in discrimination and stigma, so a decision to disclose your status is best done with possibley a therapist who can provide adequate suport..just be careful, once it's out there you can't take it back.

Most important of all you have to remember that being HIV+ does not stop you from being the person you were before your diagnosis.

Take care
Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline sevillano

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 04:25:38 am »
hey...

hmm.. what to say? There is not much to say, the most important is that you face with your (our) new situation as fast as you can... i was tested + a month ago... all I can say is that first week after getting the result was MUCH different from lets say this week (a month later) ... I feel much better now, I am able to focus on other things, the fact of being + isnt omnipresent as it was the first week, it has become just a background of other thoughts .. i am sure that even this will change.. gradually....

I am analytical person so my way of dealing with the new "status" is that I try to read about it, to get to know with the disease etc... things are not that bad as they seem to be... but of course, it wont be easy either ...

If you feel like crying - CRY, If you feel like talking with people - TALK to them (to your friends, parents etc) ... do whatever will make you feel better (I even went for my favorite cake, but I ended up just watching it - I had absolutely no appetite)!

I am sure you gonna feel MUCH MUCH BETTER after a few hours, days ...
----------------------------------------
dec 2010       - tested neg
22.01.2011    - infection
10.02.2011    - tested poz (test of 4th generation)
18.02.2011    - ELISA test poz
                    - VL: 5 mio
                    - CD4: 421 (19 %)
                    - CD3: 1709 (78%)
                    - CD8: 1267 (58%)
may 2011 - CD4: 428 (21%)
                  VL: 250 000
august 2011 - CD4: 398 (24%)
                      VL: 50 000
november 2011 - CD4: 320 (24%)
                           VL: 134 000
09.12.2011 - CD4: 284 (26%)
16.12.2011 - started TRUVADA/REYATAZ/NORVIR
16.3.2012 - CD4: 373 (25%), VL: 459

Offline MiniPozToyota

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 07:17:35 pm »
Hey welcome to this amazing site with amazing people, everyone here is able to help and support, everyone on is going through the same thing but at different paces, if effects people differently also but everyone knows alot of info and it helps.
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline ppp333

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 12:05:17 pm »
All I can say is sorry ur here..but here is an extended family..u r never alone! And the individuals on this form are truly great at just listening and giving advice...I was diagnosed in nov and it's still hard at times but don't give up..life goes on and there r a lot of individuals who have had this for a LoNG time and trucking along..sometimes I need to remind myself that..but medicine only gets better and the work being done in this field is tremendous!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.