Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:51:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 539
Total: 540

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cd4 "state of EQUILIBIRIUM"? Numbers no longer moving in 2009  (Read 5164 times)

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
cd4 "state of EQUILIBIRIUM"? Numbers no longer moving in 2009
« on: August 06, 2009, 01:16:51 am »
During my years as an HIV dissident, I questioned the cd4 hypothesis because no baseline had been established overall or for the individual. It is commonly discussed among HIV dissenters that cd4 varies in coach potatoes vs. marathon runners, for example.

Such arguements were dismissed by the conventional Western medical wisdom.

Well, 2009 has seen no more rise in my cd4, nothing statistically appreciable. I seem to hover in the mid 400's [see signature]. When I questioned my doctor about this, she said what the dissenters have been saying: that cd4 reaches different EQUILIBRIUMS for different people, that the body will determine how many T-cells it needs.

After hearing that 1000 is "nornal" I am pretty astounded to hear this.

Can anyone corroborate? Should I be bummed or indifferent?

Taking a page from the marathon-runner lower cd4, I am a competitive, open-water swimmer, 8-10 miles /week now in the ocean. Not a purist vegetarian, may eat chicken or fish once a month. No smoking. No alcohol ... just puzzled.

Thanks,
Lowell
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: cd4 "state of EQUILIBIRIUM"? Numbers no longer moving in 2009
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:54:49 am »
The lower your nadir for your cd4's (i.e. 20) the less likely it is for your cd4's to go up as high as someone who began treatment at, say, 400 cd4s.  That said, this is just based on statistics I assume and obviously there will be people that are able to achieve higher results, while some may have lower.  But yes, it's also true that one doesn't know what they're cd4 baseline was pre-infection but assuredly one would think even a dissenter knows it's not 200.

Actually I'd say that all things considered that for someone who had 20 t-cells just 2 years ago you're doing fairly well.  It's also not unheard of for someone to reach a plateau in cd4s for several years, then start having them increase again after that period.  That's what happened to me, and I'm over 1,000 now but then I've also stuck with taking medication for 16 years.  Maybe you should readjust your preconceptions.  You're undetectable, so your medication is working, and your cd4 counts are out of the general danger zone for OI's -- what's the issue?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:56:29 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:54:28 am »
Hi Lowell,

Actually, "normal" CD4s are usually considered to be between  500 and 1000. So, you're not that far off, really. I agree with Miss P. You're doing great for someone who started out with only 20 of the darn things. Any idea what your percentage is like?

I'm glad you came back from the dark side before it was too late. :) May the CD4s be with you! ;)

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:59:53 pm »
Miss P and Ann make, as usual, very good points.

One way to see what "normal" is would be to look at one's lab results from blood work. My last labs I had 392 absolute CD4s (this was before I started meds) so it was not highlighted, the way they highlight readings that are out of range, because they consider normal range to be 365 - 2087!

Of course my % and my CD4/CD8 ratio were not in the normal range.

So if someone who does not have HIV gets a reading of, say, 370, it would not be considered out of the ordinary from the lab I get tested. Of course, if that person does not have HIV then their % and their CD4/CD8 ratio should also be normal, unlike mine.

I think it makes sense that not everyone would be at the same level and that individual's CD4 equilibrium would vary, maybe based on one's pre-HIV baseline, which pretty much nobody ever knows. How expensive would that be, to have the general population get regular CD4 readings to see what the baseline is in case they later on get HIV? Not gonna happen.

Maybe individuals whose CD4s drop to below 200 soon after infection (such as Madbrain's bf) had lower baseline numbers to begin with?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:14:55 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 05:41:47 pm »
After hearing that 1000 is "nornal" I am pretty astounded to hear this.

Where did you hear this ?

From http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/TCellTest_4727.shtml :

The normal CD4 count is somewhere between 500 and 1500 cells per cubic millimeter of blood. [/I]

Can anyone corroborate? Should I be bummed or indifferent?

Taking a page from the marathon-runner lower cd4, I am a competitive, open-water swimmer, 8-10 miles /week now in the ocean. Not a purist vegetarian, may eat chicken or fish once a month. No smoking. No alcohol ... just puzzled.

At 442 you are slightly below the normal range which is 500. But not all that far off from it. I think my Kaiser labs say the low end of normal is 475 or so. It really depends on individuals. It's hard to say what's right for you unless you had a CD4 count taken before you were poz. How is your CD4% evolving ?

FYI my bf's CD4 cannot seem to go beyond 400 . He started Atripla on 3/07 just like you. His worst numbers before were CD4 230, VL 35K. He doesn't drink a drop of alcohol either, nor smoke. He also used to be a swimmer, though he hasn't done much of that in recent years.

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 01:03:19 pm »
Normal range is something like 400-1400 for men,  600-1600 for women, and 800-1800 for children.

factors leading to higher CD4 count in healthy individuals
1) female sex
2) being a smoker
3) CD4 measured in the afternoon, evening, or during night
4) CD4 being measured after sleepless night

:)

My CD4 are jumpy, going up and down all the time (I've been on med's for 11 months):

353---> (meds)  ---> 690 --->910--->1109-->900

I don't like this wavy trend, I expect my new number to be around 600 (during my next check, in November)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 01:10:05 pm by elf »

Offline elf

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 01:15:35 pm »

Maybe individuals whose CD4s drop to below 200 soon after infection (such as Madbrain's bf) had lower baseline numbers to begin with?

I've read that lowish normal CD4 values are common in Central Africa which makes people living there more prone to rapid progression of HIV disease.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 06:17:26 pm »
I've read that lowish normal CD4 values are common in Central Africa which makes people living there more prone to rapid progression of HIV disease.

Could be - it wouldn't be very surprising in malnourished populations to have low CD4 baselines. In the case of my bf I still can't explain it. He is asian, FYI, vietnamese. But not malnourished by any means.

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 08:38:44 pm »
Thanks for so many wonderful, insightful points ....

I've come along way for sure - as Miss Philicia asks: what's the issue??

I will have to follow Madbrain's advice and get the cd4 PERCENTAGE, which I never thought to ask about (my questions are always about cd4, VL, and my LIVER #s)

needlessly worrying about the half-empty cup!
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Lido

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 09:16:51 am »
Hi My Family (ALL in this field is my family)
My question is why is my Cd4 dropping. It has fallen from 720 to 400 from last year. When i asked my doctor she said that the Cd 4 doesnt matter so much. What matters is the virus. My virus has been below 50. I have been poz since 1996, currently on Reyataz, Truvada, Norvir.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 11:08:47 am »
Hi My Family (ALL in this field is my family)
My question is why is my Cd4 dropping. It has fallen from 720 to 400 from last year. When i asked my doctor she said that the Cd 4 doesnt matter so much. What matters is the virus. My virus has been below 50. I have been poz since 1996, currently on Reyataz, Truvada, Norvir.

It's possible they could drop for many reasons (slight infection, immunization, lots of stress in your life, not enough sleep, etc) so you should also look at the CD4%, which tends to be a more stable number.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.