Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:24:44 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 357
Total: 357

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hi everyone. Question about resistance/meds.  (Read 3906 times)

Offline jayson702

Hi everyone. Question about resistance/meds.
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:53:18 pm »
I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago. My CD4 are 5 and Viral Load is over 200k  :-[

I called my doctor today, to get the results for the genotype and he said "everything looked normal" basically telling me there is no Resistance.

Is this a good thing? Does this mean I have more options with different medications?

I've been on Truvada and Isentress for 7 days now too, plus some antibiotics/antifungals too.

Part of me is really really scared still because my CD4 are so low, but health wise I've been feeling great.

Offline surf18

Re: Hi everyone. Question about resistance/meds.
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 01:42:29 pm »
yea thats a good thing. that just means you can basically take any of the meds that are out there and that is a very good thing. your cd will start to rebound. though with a smaller number like yours it may be a slow going , but you will get better.

Offline jayson702

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:22:37 pm »
Thanks so much surf18.

Does anyone think I should avoid big crowds or stuff like that?

I'm so paranoid now. I carry Hand Santizer everywhere now lol. I'm terribly afraid of getting sick.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:49:24 pm »
Thanks so much surf18.

Does anyone think I should avoid big crowds or stuff like that?

I'm so paranoid now. I carry Hand Santizer everywhere now lol. I'm terribly afraid of getting sick.

I think that with a cd4 count of 4, you would not be remiss in being a little paranoid. Wash fruit and veggies very carefully, avoid sushi, try to cook for yourself when possible (you can control quality in your kitchen better than you can in a restaurant's kitchen) and yeah, the hand sanitizer is a real help.

Be a little careful about touching surfaces (doorknobs!) and then your face, especially eyes.

Lots of these are guidelines set in place during the Dark Days of AIDS, when the biggest hurdle was living another day with no immune system. Obviously, when you reach a cd4 count closer to 200, you can relax. But this is a tricky time, as you simply do not have enough cd4 cells to necessarily register an infection or mount a defense.

I do not want to scare you, but until your next blood draw (which should be in a month or so, considering your numbers) you might do well to be a little paranoid. Dealing with an Opportunistic Infection is absolutely no fun. Hospitals are no fun.

The good news is that after a month, your CD4 count might have improved dramatically. Five can become fifty, or a hundred even. I've seen it happen to myself.

Another thing, with a count as low as yours, it is common to prescribe a prophylactic therapy against PCP, usually a drug called (in the states) Bactrim. Are you on that, or something like it?
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline surf18

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:07 pm »
Yeah I was surprised to hear he wasn't on bactrim as preventive.

Offline cwbyway102

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:34:46 pm »
I wouldn't fret too much.Now that you're on meds you'll be fine.As you can see by my sig below I was even worse off than you are now.The others are right you do need to get on Bactrim ASAP if you want to avoid PCP.Trust me PCP is some scary stuff.If you can't tolerate sulfer in the bactrim I think Dapsom is an alternative.
  After 2 years My CD4s are just above 200 and I've felt better in the last 2 years than I have in a long time and on top of that I caught the Flu a couple weeks ago and kicked its ass in just a few days.
 The best thing you can do for yourself is to not worry too much.When my cd4s were that low I still went out and did all the things I normally would do.I was just extra careful if I had to go to a hospital or clinic.
  Don't be disappointed if your cd4s don't come back as fast as you would like.It took me awhile to break the 200 mark.
  Take your meds exactly as your doc prescribes and you'll be back on the road to repairing your immune system in no time.

Feb 22.2010-hospitalized PCP pneumonia
Feb 24 2010-diagnosed CD4 <20 3%    VL 1450000  started Truvada & Reyataz 400mg
April 14  CD4 57  6%  VL 1348
June 24  CD4 97  8%  VL 204
June 25 added Norvir decreased Reyataz to 300mg
August 4 CD4 107 10% VL 107
Nov 3  CD4 144 11%   VL UD
Dec 6  CD4 185  14%  VL UD
Jan 10 CD4 181  12%  VL UD
Mar 29 CD4 294  16%  VL UD
June 29 CD4 211 14%  VL UD
August 21 Switched out Truvada for Epzicom
Sept 29  CD4 220  15%  VL UD

Offline jayson702

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:38:34 pm »
Hey guys thanks for the responses, I am learning a lot!

Yes I am taking bactrim (SMZ/TMP DS 800/160mg I think this is it?) twice a day
But I am running low on it I have about 4 days supply left, but my doctor changed it to 1 a day after this one runs out. Is this ok?

I am also taking azithromycin 600mg once a week I think this is for my folliculitis.

And finally the truvada once in the morn and isentress twice a day phew!

Do you guys think I'll be ok after taking all these? I know it's a dumb question, but I'm looking for opinions and what not! I don't want this virus to define me, I want to have it under control and live as healthy as possible!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:43:36 pm »
Bactrim is prophylaxis for PCP, Azithromycin is prophylaxis for MAC.

http://www.aidsetc.org/aidsetc?page=cg-306_oi_prophylaxis

Offline jayson702

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 08:48:41 pm »
Ah thanks for that hellraiser! I really appreciate it!

Offline jayson702

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 09:15:58 pm »
Jkinatl2 thanks for the advice I will do my best!

cwbyway102 Thanks!! I really want to avoid Pcp at all costs! In fact I had a dry cough for the past 4 days and the doc did a blood test 2 days ago and xray on my chest for the pcp and he called me to tell Me the test came back fine with no worries.

I'm starting to think its not so bad to be paranoid if it'll keep me healthy! Lol

Offline tealeaf

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 06:40:34 pm »
Jayson,

Glad you're doing ok and hanging in there. I don't have anything to add. The guys have already given you good advices. If you're feeling down and too anxious, try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hOgALTFzFbQ
12/05/2011 - tested positive
12/14/2011 - CD4 376 (18%) - VL 45734
12/28/2011 - CD4 367 (17%) - VL 27000
01/05/2012 - started Complera
02/08/2012 - CD4 521 (31%) - VL 226
04/05/2012 - CD4 453 (22%) - VL 44

Offline klassykitty

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:08 pm »
Jayson,
 I was diagnosed Jan. 2011 and have been on Truvada/Isentress, Bactrim and Zithromax since then.  I was taking Bactrim twice a day to, but I couldn't stomach it so I only take it once a day.  I do take Zithromax once a day also.

I do get an upset stomach at times so I take most of them at bed time. I also take a multi-vitamin and biotin.  My VL fell pretty quickly, my CD4 is taking it's good ole time in hitting that 200.

While I can't avoid crowds, between college and working at a retail store, I am more careful then I used to be.  I also don't drink as much as I used to, and try to watch my diet.  I said try, I like my tastycakes, turkey hill ice tea, and cheesesteaks.

Like Cwbyway said stay on the meds and you'll get better in time.  Remember sometimes a cough is just a cough. 

Michelle 8)
How to handle stress like a dog:
If you can't eat it or play with it.....
then pee on it and walk away

Diagnosed 01-20-2011
01-23  CD4 32    VL 125,400
02-18        76     VL 189
03-14  no cd4 test done   VL-52
04-14   69  VL-UNDECTABLE  YEA!!
05-26   50  whoopsy  
06-27   71        %-7
08-15   64 WTF %-9 
10-16  80         %7  
2012  CD4  %Thing   VL-UD
01-18  87    7
04-18  93    8  
07-16  151  8         
10-18  83    9    VL-70
2013   CD4   %thing       VL-UD
01-28  121     9
04-24  148    11   
07-25  157    11   
10-22  185    13
2014   CD-4  %thing   VL-UD
02-07 201 YEA!!!!!!  12
06-03  205      12

Offline jayson702

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 11:19:16 am »
Thanks for that Michelle I really appreciate it. Here's to hoping my next doctor visit goes well! I am developling an annoying cough though. My throat is really itchy and so is my chest.

And thank you tealeaf that put a big ol smile on my face lol. Thanks a lot!

Offline surf18

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »
i feel that in the beginning even sometimes still now every cough sniffle etc , the end is near. we just gotta remember that these are things that happened to us before dx so its normal to get a cold and a cold is not always the end. but keep an eye on things thought especially with lower cd counts.

Offline jayson702

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 03:13:10 pm »
You are right surf. We all just gotta take extra careful precautions. Thanks man you are a real big help.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.