Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:18:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 194
Total: 194

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Drug Study  (Read 8689 times)

Offline orlmale

Drug Study
« on: May 17, 2011, 07:03:06 pm »
Hello everyone ...new here and lost. I started a drug study back in June and started getting very depressed and anxious  and not sleeping on the meds when I went back to the study Dr. he gave me xanax which I hate taking puts me to sleep during the day. I felt like days I was losing my mind and just could not function I have decided to stop taking these meds and leave the study. I stopped on 5/12/11 and have a DR. on 5/25/11 I will let them know that day. I hope I made the right decision I was told I could stop the study at anytime. I just could not take the side effects I was having plus I have no clue what the meds are because its was a blind study. I have noticed that my minds more clear the past couple of days. I just scared that maybe I mess up my chances on getting on another drug with less side effects...Has anyone here done a blind study before?

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
Re: Drug Study
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:20:59 pm »
Not a drug study I'm in but I am part of a HIV and the Brain study. I would do the same if I was in your shoes. I was prescribed Atripla when I first went on treatment and had to change after a long trail period. The side effects were horrible and made me feel ill and also I couldn't handle the central nervous system side effects. So I'm sure your Doctor will prescribe an alternative med that you can tolerate, mine did.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 04:31:13 am »
First, welcome to the forums.  I have never been in a formal drug study but have been poz so long that those of us who started the first treatments were basically guinea pigs.  I'm sure you're doctors will want detailed information on your side effects (hence there purpose of the study).  There are many combos available so you needn't worry about that issue.  I would assume your doctor will run some additional testing before deciding on your next combo.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 05:07:07 am »
Was being on the study the way you accessed medical care?

You will want to get a new test, eventually, to see if you have resistances.  Did you get one to start?
Maybe stopping cold turkey will have a price, maybe not.

Usually these decisions are best made by asking one's doctor how to stop.  Some drugs are not stopped cold turkey.  Why didn't you ask your doctor how to stop this time?  

Nobody needs a doctor's permission to take charge of his/her HIV infection the way that feels right, but one does need medical advice how to do what one wants to do.  

I think this is a key idea for long-term well-being living with HIV, and that you should think about this for the future.  

Welcome to the forum.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 05:09:58 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline edfu

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 07:37:00 am »
I'm having problems understanding how any HAART study today is completely "blind."  You must not understand something.  What's the name of the study?  Does it have a number?  These studies are conducted by the AIDS Clinical Trials Group (ACTG) of the National Institutes of Health and have a number. 

I participated in ACTG 5095 from 2001-2005.  The study had a name, and it was a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, but we knew what the three alternatives were, and we knew what drugs we might be getting (or not getting) in each of the three arms to which we were randomly assigned, but no one knew at the time.  It would not be legal or ethical to conduct a study today without making the participants aware of the possibilities, and you would have to sign an agreement to that effect.     

Can you give us any further info? 
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline orlmale

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:15 pm »
Thanks for all the info. I 'll try to answer all questions in this reply: Yes I joined to study for medical care but there is no care just blood test and more meds, It does tell me on the bottles what the meds could be or not be. I guess the main reason I stopped is I have addressed this to the Dr. every time I went about not being able to think clearly, being depressed , not wanting to leave my house, forgetting things.getting a big belly All he would tell me your fine your fine. All  he did say my triglycerides are very high.  I don't know if I made the right choice stopping without talking to him first but I got to the point that I just could not take them anymore and its been almost a week and I just don't know what to do now I am alone unemployed no insurance and losing everything and very scared .....

Thanks again for all the input

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 01:21:03 pm »
I just don't know what to do now I am alone unemployed no insurance and losing everything and very scared .....
welcome to the forums and I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having.

I have a few questions that might lead to a few suggestions that could help you.

First and foremost, are you living in the US? If so, have you contacted an ASO (aids service organization)? Have you applied for Medicaid or food stamps? Depending on how long you've been unemployed and what your resources are, you might be eligible for a lot of social services that could help you out. Medicaid could provide you with medical coverage, and of course food stamps can put food in the cabinets and in you.  ;D You might even be eligible for welfare which could help you financially for a short amount of time.

An ASO might be able to help you with housing/utilities, gaining access to healthcare, getting medications, etc. If you're not connected with an ASO, check for one in your area here (http://directory.poz.com/) or tell us what area you're living in and perhaps someone here and suggest some help for you.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline orlmale

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 02:02:27 pm »
Central Fl area...

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 03:45:58 pm »
Central Fl area...
have you already tried any of my suggestions? Have you contacted an ASO?
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 04:23:54 pm »
Regardless of being in a study, if you have side effects you are entitled to switch combo/stop treatment if this is safe. Switching/stopping and dropping out a study is an important data point.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline orlmale

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 06:09:12 pm »
have you already tried any of my suggestions? Have you contacted an ASO?

Yes, Today I called and have an appointment in July for eligibility.

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 08:35:53 pm »
Thanks for the clarifications!

Really don't beat yourself up for stopping, since its done now.  It's far more important that you take some of leatherman's advice and start getting yourself into health networks will you will get actual care, as you put it. 

Do you know how long you have been infected?  Any blood information?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline orlmale

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »
test poz 5/5/2009.....
Thanks for the clarifications!

Really don't beat yourself up for stopping, since its done now.  It's far more important that you take some of leatherman's advice and start getting yourself into health networks will you will get actual care, as you put it. 

Do you know how long you have been infected?  Any blood information?

Found out 5/5/2009 .. I don't have any copies of test from the Dr. But I am going to take control and make sure I get the test results for here on ...I have to stopped feeling sorry for myself and take a stand I realize if I don't nobody will ...I know its a mental thing right now and that's where I am seeking help first I need to get my focus back so I can take care of the rest...Well that's where I am at today will see what tomorrow brings..

Thanks again to all who replied it has helped just to be open without judgement ...to bad were not all living in the same place so we could meet....thanks

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2011, 08:11:17 pm »
orlmale,

I'm not far from where you are (Melbourne area) and I have a poz friend who frequents this forum. He swears by the ASO called "Hope and Health Center of Central Florida", especially their HUG-Me program. Had nothing but great experiences there. Check it out!

Hope and Health Center of Central Florida

Offline orlmale

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 03:19:06 pm »
orlmale,

I'm not far from where you are (Melbourne area) and I have a poz friend who frequents this forum. He swears by the ASO called "Hope and Health Center of Central Florida", especially their HUG-Me program. Had nothing but great experiences there. Check it out!

Hope and Health Center of Central Florida

Thank you I have contacted them for help :)

Offline SunnyFlorida

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2011, 09:14:43 am »
Thank you I have contacted them for help :)

You're welcome, and good luck!

Offline mecch

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2011, 03:41:41 pm »
How are you doing, this weekend?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.