Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Forum

Medicare/Medicaid Reg Changes Against Hospitals and Patients

<< < (2/4) > >>

thunter34:

--- Quote from: tester8888 on August 29, 2007, 10:57:34 pm ---It is a disastrous situation in the making!  All because the system is so huge, it's dying under it's own weight.  We all need to take into deep consideration the stance and interest political candidates have in healthcare in our country, and any few precious bills that we see on our ballots.

--- End quote ---

And there you have it in a nutshell.

microman007:
As a microbiologist in a hospital laboratory i can assure you that Medicares decision to stop reimbursement for nosocomial infections is not going to prevent you from being treated for those infections. This measure is intended to force hospitals to enforce existing infection control programs. At present not enough focus is being given at some hospitals to stop the spread of infection. Withdrawing financial support forces these hospitals to enforce infection control or lose money. Remember that as a patient you must be active in your own care. NEVER allow a health care provider to touch you without washing and gloving. If a health care provider fails to wash before or after leaving you they should be reported to risk management at whatever facility you are attending. The routine should be.
 1. Wash upon entering.
2. gloves.
 3. Perform procedures.
 4. Deglove. 
5. Wash before leaving the room.
  Alcohol washes are just as good if not better than soap and water unless the patient has Clostridium difficile infection in which case soap and water handwashing is required as alcohol does not kill spore forming organisms.

mjmel:
Thanks for the informative post, tester8888.
xxx,
Mike

thunter34:

--- Quote from: microman007 on September 05, 2007, 02:35:45 pm ---As a microbiologist in a hospital laboratory i can assure you that Medicares decision to stop reimbursement for nosocomial infections is not going to prevent you from being treated for those infections. This measure is intended to force hospitals to enforce existing infection control programs. At present not enough focus is being given at some hospitals to stop the spread of infection. Withdrawing financial support forces these hospitals to enforce infection control or lose money. Remember that as a patient you must be active in your own care. NEVER allow a health care provider to touch you without washing and gloving. If a health care provider fails to wash before or after leaving you they should be reported to risk management at whatever facility you are attending. The routine should be.
 1. Wash upon entering.
2. gloves.
 3. Perform procedures.
 4. Deglove. 
5. Wash before leaving the room.
  Alcohol washes are just as good if not better than soap and water unless the patient has Clostridium difficile infection in which case soap and water handwashing is required as alcohol does not kill spore forming organisms.

--- End quote ---

And how exactly do you propose that that always gets achieved, micro?  Lots of patients are in states of distress, pain or delirium (or perhaps simply too old or cognizant) to stay aware or enforce that.  There are lots of scenarios where that isn't a realistic solution.

Yes, I gather what the alleged intention of this measure might be, but I also see that in situations like this the costs invariably get passed on down the line or services get diminished.  In other words, it's those on the lowest end of the pole that get hit.  I just do not believe that such infections in a hospital setting can be eliminated by doing this.

So how exactly can you assure me that this will not be the case?

Ann:

--- Quote from: thunter34 on September 05, 2007, 07:35:10 pm ---And how exactly do you propose that that always gets achieved, micro? 

--- End quote ---

My thoughts exactly. The patients who are most vulnerable to hospital-caused infections are very often those who are so ill they could not possibly be responsible for enforcing the hospital's hygiene codes. ::)

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version