Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:09:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773211
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 469
Total: 471

Author Topic: TaSP Treatment as Prevention  (Read 7064 times)

Offline Hope4life

TaSP Treatment as Prevention
« on: September 17, 2018, 01:51:55 am »
Hi,
I hope you all are doing great. I have few questions. I will be grateful.if u all can answer that. For info I am undetectable with ~585 cd4. Good health.
1. If know that treatment as prevention is a powerful message but bit curious that it says that undetectable means undetectable viral load in blood. But what about semen.
2. If I do a protected sex with someone (hiv negative) what will be the chances of transmission ( I don't want anyone to go.through with same).
Thanks pls do answer
Waiting eagerly.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: TaSP Treatment as Prevention
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 02:26:33 am »

Blood levels closely correlate with levels in other fluids like semen etc however can take longer, hence in part the UD message is to be UD in blood levels 6 months first.

Not sure what you mean but in short HIV can not transmit though an intact latex condom, and if you have been UD for 6+ months and continue to take your meds their is nothing to transmit anyway.

Jim
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Hope4life

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 03:08:28 am »
first of all sorry for bad typing and bad English, I am not good in typing over phone. however I did cos I was curious to know the answers.
Thanks @Jim. yes, I meant the same.I questioned about the Treatment as Prevention message, where it is given that ARV can decrease the transmission to 96% hence I suppose usage of condom is necessary to negate any small chances of transmission. However I found many discussion here where magnetic couples are practising condomless sex without transmission. hence I was really curious that if I sex (as I am taking my medicine from last 8 months and I am undetectable hence I may or may not be in this 6 month+ UD window as I have taken only two test one as baseline and other after 6 month) with someone negative without condom can leads to transmission hence should I always use condom? I do not know whether I am able to give proper words to my question this time. Thanks for the answer.
P.S I am aware of the risk of other sexual diseases.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 03:59:05 am »
I moved your post to this section, as its a prevention question, answers are open in " how do I prevent" mainly from seasoned forum members and the mod team.

96 % was what I believe is a misleading headline, in 2011 based on the intermediate results from HPTN 052, the final result of that 2011 study when you read it actually found 0 transmissions when the positive partner was UD 6 months+ .

The only transmissions where under people before they started treatment or 4 transmissions due to treatment failure (they did not take their meds) so nothing new and its confirms the UD theory.

Since then there have at least been 3 more major studies.

In fact there is nearly 21 years odd consistent and proven TaSP observational evidence and studies, although the news/media act as if its something new, it actually goes way back. Anyhow they all had 0 transmission between couples who opted to go comdomless when the HIV positive partner was virally suppressed and adherent to their medication.

I was really curious that if I sex (as I am taking my medicine from last 8 months and I am undetectable hence I may or may not be in this 6 month+ UD window as I have taken only two test one as baseline and other after 6 month) with someone negative without condom can leads to transmission hence should I always use condom?

Look if you are unsure how long you have been UD than I would urge temporary caution until you know you have been UD for 6 months.

The advice we give to everyone is to use condoms consistently, its to do with reduction of risk from far easier to transmit STIs and in heterosexual couples pregnancy.

In relationships its really up to the dynamics of the relationship and a personal choice regarding "safer sex" , mamy monogamous couples where HIV is the only concern dith the condom once the HIV positive partner has been UD for 6+ months as with adherence there is no real world risk of the negative partner acquiring HIV.

Jim

PS.
, I am not good in typing over phone.

Same here, don't worry the forum is not limited to people with perfect English & Grammar.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:37:28 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 09:58:26 am »
OP
it is given that ARV can decrease the transmission to 96% hence I suppose usage of condom is necessary to negate any small chances of transmission.

96 % was what I believe is a misleading headline, in 2011 based on the intermediate results from HPTN 052, the final result of that 2011 study when you read it actually found 0 transmissions when the positive partner was UD 6 months+ .

The only transmissions where under people before they started treatment or 4 transmissions due to treatment failure (they did not take their meds) so nothing new and its confirms the UD theory.

Since then there have at least been 3 more major studies.

In fact there is nearly 21 years odd consistent and proven TaSP observational evidence and studies, although the news/media act as if its something new, it actually goes way back. Anyhow they all had 0 transmission between couples who opted to go comdomless when the HIV positive partner was virally suppressed and adherent to their medication.

In 2016 this poz.com blogger also wrote a very nice posting on the 96% and why the study results were actually zero https://www.poz.com/blog/huge-mistake-undetectable
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Hope4life

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 11:13:18 pm »
Thanks @Jim that's really comforting and detailed message with facts. I went through the blog. It is written beautifully. I'm glad that this platform is there to help us out. And experienced members like you have so much to share with us which will eventually make our life happy and fearless. Thanks again.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 04:03:10 am »
You're welcome, glad it helps.
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.