Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 12:21:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37634
  • Latest: Hope007
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 222
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 173
Total: 173

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: well, im back.. that didnt take long..  (Read 49292 times)

Offline scaredstraight68

well, im back.. that didnt take long..
« on: June 21, 2006, 03:55:54 am »
I'm not going to come on here and freak myself out like I did before.  I know the deal, 14 weeks go get checked.  Hetero sex with a girl. Used a condom and it broke.  Pulled it out and noticed blood.  Went in the room, took a leak and washed it off.  Couldn't believe I put myself back in that position.  I really dont know her history but i know shes not conservative.  She claims to not have been with many people and has been tested before but that means nothing really.  I would say no longer than 5-10 seconds after breakage.  Is this high risk?  Is vaginal blood a high transmitter?  I'm sure it is.  If someone has some links they can post them and I won't waste anyones time.  Im sure its been talked about on here.

SS

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: well, im back.. that didnt take long..
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 05:40:50 am »
scared,

A condom break is low risk, but not totally without risk. I've never seen someone come back with positive test results after a break - it's very rare, especially when the worried person is the insertive partner.

I'm fully expecting you to test negative, but you should test and you know the score - except you only have to wait 12-13 weeks, not fourteen.

Condoms rarely break when they are used properly. Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use those condoms properly and avoid breakages. The most common cause of breaks is the presence of an air bubble being left in the tip of the condom. Not using lube is also another common cause of breaks.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs. If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start.

As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Test at the appropriate time, collect your negative result and make sure you learn how to use condoms properly. We're not born with that knowledge, so get reading. You are going to be just fine.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 10:48:44 am »
Well Ann, that actually made me feel a little better.  Does your answer hold true during a womens menstreul cycle?  She was on her period to both of our surprise.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 11:43:37 am »
scared,

Yes, the same advice holds true and I was aware of your comments about the blood when I answered you.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult virus to transmit and more so to the insertive partner. You did the right thing and wore a condom. Even though it broke, you were completely protected up until it did. You noticed right away so your exposure was very minimal. I would think you are more likely to win a 10 million dollar lottery from a ticket you found in the gutter than become infected with hiv through this incident.

You should test - more as a formality to make 100% certain more than anything else. And let that test be a part of your first annual, routine, complete sexual health check-up. Annual checks are the responsible, adult thing to do when you're sexually active.

Promise me you'll study the condom link in my signature line so you don't find yourself "in this position" again. Correctly used condoms rarely break.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 11:47:46 am »
deal :) 

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 12:12:31 am »
I wonder if a forum for HIV anxiety would be helpful.  I think it has a place just as the disease itself.  Feelings of doom, fatigue and depression are often related to getting tested or waiting to get tested.  I know because I've done it and I'm doing it now, although this time not as bad.  I've read my post word for word at least 10 times but maybe I just need someone to talk to, someone to help see things rationally, (not that Ann didn't in my post, I felt WAYYYY better after talking to her.)  Maybe it's just someone to tell you you're going to be ok.  I guess it would be more on dealing with ones mental health reguarding HIV than the actuall prevention section.  Maybe this isn't the right place for it but it might be helpful.  Also anxiety issues could be filtered over to that area rather than scaring people coming on for advise.  I think more times than not we need someone to tell us to get out and do something and stop searching the net for proof for something that isnt there.   :-\
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 12:19:52 am by scaredstraight68 »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 01:11:58 am »
Just my personal opinion but everything is blanketed under the "Am I infected?" forum. This website is run and operated by and for people with HIV. I believe that this part of the forum only existed to educate people about HIV testing and to stop people who are worried about HIV asking personal questions of HIV positive people (what symptoms did you have etc). Everything you mention is normally covered here and I would be against the expansion of the forum from its current state.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 01:14:45 am »
good enough..   Im not trying to screw up a good thing by anymeans.. Everyone's lucky to have this site.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 05:50:34 am »
scared,

We do tell people to "get out and do something and stop searching the net for proof for something that isnt there" and we tell them all the time. They don't listen in this forum, why would they listen in another?

Now, get off the internet and get some fresh air and excercise. Stop searching the internet, trying to diagnose yourself. Stay productively busy until it's time to got get tested and collect what I fully expect to be a negative result.

OK?

Are you listening?

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 09:42:54 pm »
lol ya i'm listening Ann.   Hey can I ask a stupid question.. I know it's stupid but I want to ask before I jet. 

I've noticed some people on here make comments that they did not ejaculate like its a good thing.  Would ejaculating or taking a leak help flush the penis out a little.  Im clueless on this, it just seemed logical.  I know this in no way is a safe sex procedure but can it hurt?  It would seem anything that is flushed outward would be a good thing.

Chalk this up to dumb question 5,445
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 09:44:37 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 09:48:50 pm »
Ejaculating is totally irrelevant in terms of your health vis a vis HIV. The person who could be affected by it is your partner if you're having unprotected sex.

Ditto on urinating as far as "cleaning out your urethra."

Andy Velez

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2006, 12:07:41 am »
Is my situation a common one? I've cruised around the site a little and didnt find much.  I'm hoping that it's been brought here before.  I'm not one for breaking new ground.  I'd be lying if I said that I'm not grasping on to Ann's knowledge in the matter to keep my sanity. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 05:00:31 am »
scared,

We see broken condoms here all the time, sometimes with blood, sometimes without. I have yet to see an insertive partner with a broken condom go on to test positive. I'm sure you will not be the first.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 02:21:47 pm »
Grasp away! I also expect you to come out of this ok.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 02:48:13 pm »
Thanks guys.. Means alot.

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2006, 11:46:30 am »
I know symptoms mean nothing just a question.   I have a slight sore throat, no fever that I know of.  Nothing else too different.  I think I felt the infection coming on the 7th day.  I will say I've been on the more stressed side which Im hoping could cause this.  Its not a bad sore throat.  I'm hoping this really doesnt chage any answers.  Is the lack of a fever a sign that the symptoms arent due to ARS?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 11:49:05 am by scaredstraight68 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2006, 06:58:55 pm »
Scared,

Symptoms or the LACK of symptoms mean absolutely nothing when it comes to hiv infection.

You are not likely to test positive and worrying yourself sick about it isn't going to change the outcome.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 07:38:51 pm »
If I accept that symptoms mean nothing can I ask a couple questions.  I would rather ask them here and get expert advise than cruise the net looking an some yahoos advice or outdated information. (Sidenote - The liberal Christian might be the worst piece of information on the web. IMHO)

Q1: T/F - Symptoms of ARS almost coinside with some kind of noticable fever.  However, Fever and sypmtoms themselves are not indicators of HIV or the lack of symptoms for that matter. 

Q2:  Would it be unlikey that the complete ARS cycle would be complete by day 13.  I went to my doctor today (14 days later), he said everything looked good.  I had a bit of a very mild sore throat 6-10 days following that lasted 3 days (Maybe due to reflux, no fever) and went in today but he said everything looked normal.  The two glands under adjecent to my throat may have been a little swollen (maybe) but I think its because I kept checking them.  He said they were normal today.  My arms feel week but I know its due to anxiety because they started to a couple days after and the last time I went through this my body was numb and tired from all the Anxiety.  I know I sound like the typical WW and I truly do appologize, but coming on here will keep me sane compared to the various information on the web. 

Can I get some street credit for keeping it all on my own thread :)

One last thing.  Are we the wierd ones?  None of my friends ever talk about the possiblitly of HIV and even the girl that this happened with is making me feel like I was way over thinking it and she was totally clueless on HIV information.  Even my mom has been like, "why are you testing for HIV?"  It amazes me.  I called my bro one time (who has a rather wild hetero lifestyle) and he made me feel like, "you know how hard it is for you to get HIV."  It's truely amazing to me. Even my doc thought I was a little wierd for testing at 6 and 12 weeks last time.

I hope I didn't offend anyone by anything I posted. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2006, 07:52:59 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2006, 07:50:03 pm »
scared,

Q1. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. That's precisely why symptoms or the lack of symptoms mean nothing.

Q2. If symptoms happen at all, they tend to start around two week after infection has taken place. Everyone is slightly different. Symptoms, or the lack of symptoms mean nothing when it comes to hiv infection.

The ONLY way to know your hiv status is through testing. In your case, your risk was very small and I totally expect you to test negative - at the appropriate time - in relation to this incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2006, 12:54:50 am »
This is a fun little look at the odds of life.  I don't know it's accuracy but its an entertaining.  Please don't look too much into it, I posted for its entertainment purpose.  And no there is no HIV odds.

The Odds
Ever wondered....

Odds that a person between the age of 18 and 29 does NOT read a newspaper regularly: 3 to 1
Odds that an American adult does not want to live to age 120 under any circumstances: 3 to 2

Odds of injury from fireworks: 19,556 to 1

Odds of injury from shaving: 6,585 to 1

Odds of injury from using a chain saw: 4,464 to 1

Odds of injury from mowing the lawn: 3,623 to 1

Odds of fatally slipping in bath or shower: 2,232 to 1

Odds of drowning in a bathtub: 685,000 to 1

Odds of being killed on a 5-mile bus trip: 500,000,000 to 1

Odds of being killed sometime in the next year in any sort of transportation accident: 77 to 1

Odds of being killed in any sort of non-transportation accident: 69 to 1

Odds of being struck by lightning: 576,000 to 1

Odds of being killed by lightning: 2,320,000 to 1

Odds of being murdered: 18,000 to 1

Odds of getting away with murder: 2 to 1

Odds of being the victim of serious crime in your lifetime: 20 to 1

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1

Odds of being considered possessed by Satan: 7,000 to 1

Odds that a first marriage will survive without separation or divorce for 15 years: 1.3 to 1

Odds that a celebrity marriage will last a lifetime: 3 to 1

Odds of getting hemorrhoids: 25 to 1

Odds of being born a twin in North America: 90 to 1

Odds of being on plane with a drunken pilot: 117 to 1

Odds of being audited by the IRS: 175 to 1

Odds of having your identity stolen: 200 to 1

Odds of dating a millionaire: 215 to 1

Odds of dating a supermodel: 88,000 to 1

Odds of writing a New York Times best seller: 220 to 1

Odds of finding out your child is a genius: 250 to 1

Odds of catching a ball at a major league ballgame: 563 to 1

Odds of becoming a pro athlete: 22,000 to 1

Odds of finding a four-leaf clover on first try: 10,000 to 1

Odds of a person in the military winning the Medal of Honor: 11,000 to 1

Odds of winning an Academy Award: 11,500 to 1

Odds of striking it rich on Antiques Roadshow: 60,000 to 1

Odds of getting a royal flush in poker on first five cards dealt: 649,740 to 1

Odds of spotting a UFO today: 3,000,000 to 1

Odds of becoming president: 10,000,000 to 1

Odds of winning the California lottery: 13,000,000 to 1

Odds of becoming a saint: 20,000,000 to 1

Odds of a meteor landing on your house: 182,138,880,000,000 to 1

Chance of an American home having at least one container of ice cream in the freezer: 9 in 10.

Chance of dying from any kind of injury during the next year: 1 in 1,820

Chance of dying from intentional self-harm: 1 in 9,380

Chance of dying from an assault: 1 in 16,421

Chance of dying from a car accident: 1 in 18,585

Chance of dying from any kind of fall: 1 in 20,666

Chance of dying from accidental drowning: 1 in 79,065

Chance of dying from exposure to smoke, fire, and flames: 1 in 81,524

Chance of dying in an explosion: 1 in 107,787

Chance that Earth will experience a catastrophic collision with an asteroid in the next 100 years: 1 in 5,000

Chance of dying in such a collision: 1 in 20,000

Chance of dying from exposure to forces of nature (heat, cold, lightning, earthquake, flood): 1 in 225,107

Chance of dying in an airplane accident: 1 in 354,319

Chance of dying from choking on food: 1 in 370,035

Chance of dying in a terrorist attack while visiting a foreign country: 1 in 650,000

Chance of dying in a fireworks accident: 1 in 1,000,000

Chance of dying from overexertion, travel or privation: 1 in 1,428,377

Chance of dying from food poisoning: 1 in 3,000,000

Chance of dying from legal execution: 1 in 3,441,325

Chance of dying from contact with hot tap water: 1 in 5,005,564

Chance of dying from parts falling off an airplane: 1 in 10,000,000

Chance of dying from ignition or melting of nightwear: 1 in 30,589,556

Chance of dying from being bitten by a dog: 1 in 700,000

Chance of dying from contact with a venomous animal or plant: 1 in 3,441,325

Chance of dying from being bitten or struck by mammals (other than dogs or humans): 1 in 4,235,477

Chance of dying from a mountain lion attack in California: 1 in 32,000,000

Chance of dying from a shark attack: 1 in 300,000,000

Chance of having a stroke: 1 in 6

Chance of dying from heart disease: 1 in 3

Chance of getting arthritis: 1 in 7

Chance of suffering from asthma or allergy diseases: 1 in 6

Chance of getting the flu this year: 1 in 10

Chance of developing schizophrenia: 1 in 00

Chance of contracting the human version of mad cow disease: 1 in 40,000,000

Chance of dying from SARS in the United States: 1 in 100,000,000

Chance of American man developing cancer in his lifetime: 1 in 2

Chance of an American woman developing cancer in her lifetime: 1 in 3

Chance of getting prostate cancer: 1 in 6

Chance of getting breast cancer: 1 in 9

Chance of getting colon / rectal cancer: 1 in 26

Chance of beating pancreatic or liver cancer: 1 in 9

Chance of beating thyroid or testicular cancer: 9 in 10

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2006, 05:03:51 am »
I don't find your odds being entertaining and this has nothing to do with hiv.

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 07:01:37 am »
Scared,

The entertainment factor is lost on those with serious hiv concerns.... I understand your intent with this post, but it would be better suited to the "off topic" forum.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 07:04:39 am »
scared,

If you want to post "entertaining" posts, please do so in the Off Topic forum. That's what it's there for.

I find the odds of being on a plane with a drunken pilot somewhat disturbing. I fly to Liverpool and back once every six weeks and I guess that would probably mean I've had a tipsy pilot on the evening return journey at least once.... ~shudder~

One last thing.  Are we the wierd ones?  None of my friends ever talk about the possiblitly of HIV and even the girl that this happened with is making me feel like I was way over thinking it and she was totally clueless on HIV information.  Even my mom has been like, "why are you testing for HIV?"  It amazes me.  I called my bro one time (who has a rather wild hetero lifestyle) and he made me feel like, "you know how hard it is for you to get HIV."  It's truely amazing to me. Even my doc thought I was a little wierd for testing at 6 and 12 weeks last time.

Scared, maybe you should be talking to your friends then. Tell them how hiv is making serious inroads into the heterosexual population. Just because hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus doesn't mean it's an impossible virus to transmit. I once thought like that and look where it got me - I've been hiv positive for nine years. If you met me, you would never, ever guess that I am positive because I don't fit into any of the so-called "risk groups" and neither did the man from whom I got my infection.

Try to get your mates to understand the importance of using condoms - and it's not just hiv they need to be worrying about. Chlamydia is rampant in the 16 - 24 age group and is a leading cause of infertility. It can be present without symptoms too and this is one of the reasons why you should also impress upon your friends that they should be having regular sexual health care check-ups, even if they do use condoms. You don't have to lecture your mates, you can slip this information in during conversations. Most of all, you can lead by example by using condoms yourself and having routine check-ups and letting your mates know you do.

The only way we are going to slow this pandemic down is through education. Please take the time to educate your mates and your family too - you just might save a life.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 11:40:33 pm »
Well now Im really scared.  I called back the girl and told her I had glands in my throat a little swollen, and tender in my groin, had  a slight case of diarea and a mild sore throat three weeks after.  I also told her I've been a little run down.  She told me its nothing, She had strep throat a few weeks earlier.  Said she had rash on her hands and somewhere else with a fever and sore throat.  I almost lost it.  She has no clue on HIV infections and could care less about getting tested.  I told her the facts and she said everything causes those symptoms.  Said she has too many other things in her life to freak out about.  I was speechless.  I wish I never would have answered the telephone when she called me originally. 

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2006, 12:03:14 am »
She did say that the doctor gave her antibiotics and it cleared up in a couple days.  If shes telling the truth

Also, I'm going to get tested for Gonorea and Clamitia in the morning.  I don't have a discharge but a tenderness in the groing.  Im betting on Gonorea.  This whole thing is spiraling downwards.  Im really trying to keep a level head but its getting harder.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 02:07:03 am by scaredstraight68 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2006, 05:40:05 am »
Scared,

I'm glad to hear you are testing for other STIs, as it is entirely possible that you got one of the other, more easily transmitted infections through your condom break incident. However, that does not change the fact that it is highly unlikely you were infected with hiv through this same incident.

And as you know, your symptoms don't mean a thing when it comes to hiv infection.

I'm still expecting you to test hiv negative.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2006, 05:30:41 pm »
Well Im being treated for Gon and Clim. but the results for that wont be back till next week.  I've getting some culture tets done for other stuff as well.  I guess on a good note what I thought was a soar thorat looked completly normal to my doc and what I thought were raised lymph nodes wernt acording to my doc.  So I guess that might be some kind of silver lining.  I do feel better that now my symptoms apear to be fatigue which is probably due to panic attacks.  I think I slept 3 min last night. maybe.  I need to control my mind.  THanks for listening everyone.  I've come to the conclusion that I make my self more and more sick every time I call that girl back and get more information or hear ignorance when it comes to HIV.  My fav line shes used to date was.  I know I dont have HIV.  I just feel like I dont.  My mouth dropped obviously. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:22:58 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2006, 11:15:20 pm »
Should I have taken Pep in my circumstance.  I read the "Upper Anal" thread with blood and figured to be in the same risk catagory.   I feel like maybe I should of.  I know its too late now but I keep thinking I should have.  Especially with the strong possibility i picked up chlymidia. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2006, 05:27:08 am »
Scared,

Let me remind you of your words when you started this thread:

I'm not going to come on here and freak myself out like I did before.

But that is exactly what you are doing. Your situation is NOTHING like the other situation. For a start, you don't even know if this woman is hiv positive.  Stop freaking yourself out. It's highly unlikely that you would become infected after a condom break during vaginal intercourse - blood or no blood.

You would be doing yourself a big favour if you stayed away from this website until you've tested - and collected what I fully expect will be negative results.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 07:00:25 pm »
Got my tests back today for Ghonorea and Chlymittia.  Both came back negative to my surprise and even my doctor for that matter.  I'm not sure that pushes the chips one way or the other but any news is good news I guess.  I do have Epididymis which my doc says is not due to a STD.  Im not going to go see if thats a symptom of ARS because I know if I look hard enough I will find it.  I went for a 4 week test today which I know is a waste of time but I need it for my well beeing mentally.  I promise not to look at anyone elses threads. That seems fair.  Im fighting myself not to list my symptoms.. But I'm not.

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 09:02:25 pm »
"Operation scared" now in progress.

I noticed today that I have some (6) pin point pimples spaced out about 3 inches apart on my arm and (3 or 4) on my chest undernith the right side of my chest.  Most appear around a folical. or it would seem. Maybe resemble bug bites kinda.  Not seeing much redness or sunburn look.  I'm going into see my doctor on mon in which I wll talk to her about it and hopefully have my results.  Im hoping sweat/anxiety is causing this.  I dont have any fever although im fatigued from being stressed all day.  Any insite on what a "typical ARS" rash might look like.  Is the rash usually pimply? 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:30:49 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2006, 05:46:42 am »
Scared,

The ARS associated rash is nothing at all like a pimple or any other kind of bump on your skin.

Once again, it is highly unlikely that you will have become infected with hiv, as the insertive partner, through a short possible exposure due to a condom break in the presence of blood.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 08:48:44 pm »
I took my test on tues afternoon 3:30ish.  Its Thurs and the doctors office said the results still arent in.  Im a little concerned as last time I thought I got them in a couple days.. Would thurs be to quick for results?

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 09:22:03 pm »
It can take 2 weeks to get results. I take HIV tests every 3 months and it rarely comes in on time. Thy have all been negative and not had to be redone. I don't have time to talk, but you should look at the risk. Everyone said it was low - so don't worry. I predict a good weekend for you.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2006, 02:06:02 pm »
I got my negative results back today and I have to say for the first time I actually feel like everyone else is right and I am wrong.  It was only a 4 week test mind you and I know not conclusive but I think it might push the odds a little more in my favor as most people sero by 22 days from what I've read on here. I also tested negative on all my STD panels not that it matters.

Quick question:

If I was feeling run down or had a sore throat or fatigued or loss of appatite before/during the test, is it safe to assume that those symptoms have nothing to do with any HIV exposure?

Quick comment:
I hope the moderators and people on this site know how much of a service they are.  It's a selfless act that hopefully doesnt go unnoticed by those who obtain negative results.  Either way, I will never forget what you guys have done/doing for me. :)

I think I might just have an OK weekend.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2006, 02:12:38 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2006, 11:29:39 pm »
can someone please send me to an area that would explain the sero process a little.  The main thing I'm looking for is testing during/after "alledged symptoms."  Can we asume that any so-called symptoms that occoured during or before a neg test have nothing to do with ARS?  (I fully understand this is not an exempt)  A couple of redflags that happened 1-2 weeks prior would give me somewhat of a releif if I knew they were non-related. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2006, 04:42:21 am »
scared,

If you test after the appearance of symptoms and you have actually been infected, then you are likely to test positive.

If you test during symptoms and you have actually been infected, you are likely to test indeterminate.

You tested negative at four weeks over a condom break. It is a good indication of your true status, but not conclusive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2006, 09:45:06 pm »
is P24 Antigen included in the new standard Elisa tests? (4th Gen?) What's the odds thy use that at my testing site in CA?

I read this in the lessons on the old site.  I would assume its current.

"P24 Antigen Test: This test uses ELISA technology to look directly for key pieces of the HIV virus – the p24 protein found on HIV's outer coat. This test can reduce the chance of a false-negative in standard (antibody) ELISA testing is done too early (i.e., less than 13 weeks after exposure). The p24 antigen test may be ordered if there's been a very recent risky exposure to HIV, such as a healthcare work-related incident. Blood banks also use it for screening donations.
Valuable in detecting HIV infection early in the window period after exposure, this test is only useful for a period of approximately three weeks after exposure, before the production of antibodies begins. A p24 test result should be confirmed by antibody testing once the window period has passed."

If the P24 is included whats the pickup rate at 28 days?  It would seem that if it is combined in the 4th Gen. test,  the key HIV pieces would be picked up by p24 if it was too early and the antibodys would be picked up by the Elisa segment of the test if it were too late for the P24 to register.  There is a strong possiblility that I am complety clueless to what I'm reading. So excuse my ignorance in this matter.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 02:30:58 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2006, 04:49:28 pm »
They wouldn't use a P24 test on you because the first three weeks is the window limit.

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2006, 05:11:32 pm »
Well, I made a few calls and finally got through with the actual lab that does the tests.  It appears that most if not all labs (US) federally supplied/funded use the current 4th gen Elisa.  The test combines the P24 and Antibody test.  The test needs double non-reactives to be considered negative.  Of course, if one or the other is reacitve its then sent to the western blot.  Both tests (not western blot) are conducted under one procedure.  She mentioned that the combination of the two tests is what makes it so sensitive. 

She also mentioned that Western blot tests are not always positive. 

4th gen elisa is AKA a "duo test."
4th Generation tests for simultaneous detection of p24 Ag (HIV-1 Ag) and HIV-1/HIV-2Ab.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 09:43:15 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2006, 08:02:20 pm »
Is it possible to live a normal life with HIV? I don't want to be a train wreck if things don't work out.  My doctor thinks I'm being irrational as does my family members and probably most of your here,  but I know the realities of the situation. I do have a daughter to raise and I guess my fear is that this would limit that.  I do have a strong support group around me which is good.  I'm trying to stay focused on the positve things and forget about the symptoms and the original situation.  I'm also trying to focus on the positve if things go a different route.  I don't want to fear HIV weather im + or - any more. I'm sick of being scared.  It makes me run down and fatigued which further fuels my fears.  I guess I just would like to approach/deal with all of this rationally. 

And a question reduarding 4th gen testing. If we agree that the test combines Antibody + PG Antigen testing,  Is their a segment after 3 weeks where there is an absense of HIV and antbodies?  Meaning if you had HIV present at 3 weeks and antibodies were taking over by 4.  Is there a day or two where their is a neutral state where neither HIV nor detectable antibodies are present?  And when they talk about sensitivity errors is it false negatives or false positives?

Thanks, typical WW
« Last Edit: July 27, 2006, 08:13:38 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline scaredguyto

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 10:26:23 pm »
Scared,

I can totally relate to what is going on in you. I am going through the same situation. One thing I learnt so far, panicking does not help! I am also thinking about HIV all the time, surfing for sites etc. etc. But as everyone mentioned to you (also me) that our situation is of minimum risk...and if you think about it...there's no other way of being 100% sure other than taking the tests and wait until 13 weeks.

Hope we both test negative   :) good luck.

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2006, 11:26:45 pm »
Ya, I want to look at the positives no matter what happens.  Thats the only way I will control my fear of not knowing. This whole experience has taught me to appreciate every second, maybe listen a little better, be a little more compationate and face my fears head on.   I'm not going to let this experience go to waste.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 12:20:56 am by scaredstraight68 »

Offline lolax42

« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2006, 05:57:22 pm »
Scared,
    I just wanted to let you know (just like scaredguyto did) that I know exactly how you feel and what you're going through. I had an experience about five weeks ago that has left me with plenty of symptoms, and I've lost plenty of sleep (due both to not being able to sleep and from staying up till 3:00 AM reading websites online). I finally realized a few days ago that stressing about it does nothing for me - whether I research it online or not, the results will come back from the test the same.

Like you said, this experience, regardless of whether or not I come back HIV + or -, has left me with a greater appreciation for life. Life is so precious, and it is so very important to make every second of it count and not risk it through things such as unprotected sexual experiences.

Anyways, please try not to worry - it about killed me when I did and only probably worsened my symptoms. If you're at all religious (I'm southern baptist), perhaps just pray about it and pray not to let your nerves get to you. That's helped me the most I think.

I'll check back on this post often - if you ever need to talk or anything, just post. We'll get through this together!

(P.S. - sorry this post wasn't scientific - I can't offer technical advice as obviously I'm still the learner at this point, but I do understand the stress you're going through!)

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2006, 06:54:36 pm »
You know it's funny, you come on here, surf the net, call every HIV hotline across the USA in hopes to find some kind of answer that will set you free.  Then when you find it, it's not enough and you need more reasurance. The thing that makes it more fustrating is if you look for any good or bad sign associated with your situation, you will find it.   It's almost like you have to approach the whole deal positively even in the worse case senerio. 

The thing that kllls me is I was here almost one year ago to date saying that I would never put myself in this position again and sure enough I'm here.  It would be easy to say just look at the situation last year, it was the same and you were the same but logically your mind doesn't let you buy into it. 

I remember when I was 18 (maybe like 14 years ago) I had my first HIV test. Scared me then but not as much as now.   I remember the Doc then told me it was virtually impossible to get it if I was straight. As any 18 year old kid, I bought into it.  Then I did some research and found out that he either was telling me what I wanted to hear or clueless. (Probably clueless)   Now, when anyone weather its a doc, family memeber, even the pros on here tell me something it's like I approach it with, "I know better."   Even though maybe I don't.  The thought of something else being in control of your destiny is enough to send anyone through the roof.  That's why I'm going to try my best not to let a + or - be in control of my destiny.   

I do think it's interesting that most (not all) of the people that seem to come on here and freak out the worst are straight males.  (Myself included)  Just an observation. 

I am by no means a hard core religious person but I do believe in God.  As far as God, this situation has brought me closer to God, however, I don't believe God would choose me to be OK and sentence others. Its like an apartment fire and someone gets out alive and tells the press, I'm just glad GOD was with me like God chose not with the other people.  He probably doesnt work like that.  But ya, it's brought me back to God and I'd be lying if I said I didn't ask for some guidence to get me through this.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 07:10:46 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2006, 07:14:36 pm »
Is this website your blog now? I urge you to leave and not fill the bytes of this website with your random thoughts. Wait until you get your 13 week test and don't come here until you have it. I remain unconvinced that this website is helping you at all. You just feel it is because it can make you feel better for 5 minutes. Stop papering over the cracks and get some real help.

R

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2006, 07:59:59 pm »
I'm too dumb to know what a blog is or how to do one, but I wont post anymore. 

The only thing I would contadict is that I know this site has helped. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2006, 08:13:54 pm by scaredstraight68 »

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2006, 11:24:46 pm »
I don't doubt that this website helped you, I said it isn't helping you now. So that's not a contradiction

R

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2006, 01:30:52 am »
Scaredstraight,

At this point, this site is just enabling your obsession with hiv. 

You should stay off the web and get busy with life until such time as you can test for a conclusive result.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline scaredstraight68

« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2006, 01:43:31 am »
I have one quick question, I know I said I wouldn't post but I need this answered.  It's really not about me freaking out. (even though I do.)  My daughter likes to give me butterfly kisses with her eyes.  I'm not sure what the transmission rates are via eye fluids especially if someone has a high viral load.  I notice I've been very cautious around her.  Is this anything to worry about?  Sometimes her eyes are watery and I'm scared to touch her.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.