Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:02:39 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 312
Total: 312

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 29,000 Children Dead in 90 days.  (Read 1897 times)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
29,000 Children Dead in 90 days.
« on: August 05, 2011, 07:47:14 pm »
To really get an idea of the situation you have to see the pics...

http://www.pbase.com/lardershots/somaliabaidoa

I'm sure alot of you have heard about the disaster in Somalia, although maybe not since news agencies have devoted varying  degrees of attention to it most likely due to the fact that is is "just Somalia" in alot of peoples eyes. I just looked and CNN's front page shows nothing, Fox news has a small blurb buried in the second half of the page.

MSNBC has this buried in the page..

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44021514/ns/world_news-africa/

Apparently there is plenty of aid ready to be distributed to these people however a militant group Al-Shabab (Al Queada) is not allowing the aid into the country, or very little of it, for fear the aid workers are spies. Mothers are abandoning their dead and dying children along the roads of Somalia as they try to move from the area to find food, the mothers themselves are dying even as they nurse their infants. Clearly the situation is dire and heartwrenching.

We as a species should be ashamed of ourselves, The strongest of us get together under the umbrella of a World organization for righteousness and good (The UN) and  have no problems directing our weapons of war against other nations in order to "protect the innocent" look at Libya, Iraq, etc...But yet we have zero interest in helping the weakest among us simply get some bread in their mouths, we would rather let them die and rot on dusty roads, simply because they live in an area of the world that we don't care about, or we would rather not think about.

If there was EVER a reason to use military force in a sovereign nation it is in Somalia. The food is there on the borders waiting to get in but are prevented from doing so due to these militants. Why are we not sending troops in to get this food to these human beings. It's a damn shame, and we ought to be losing sleep over it at night. This not about Obama, or Bush or any one person it is about Human Beings as a species, no one cares enough to send in force to feed these people.

I think Ghandi once said "A nations greatness is how it treats its weakest" The same could surely be said about a species couldn't it? a Species is only as great /civilized as it treats its weakest members? If so then we as humans are not as great as we think we are. We have progressed very little in 200, 000 years If we turn a blind eye to our fellow Human beings as they cry for food as they take their last breath.

Imagine an alien race looking in on us at disbelief as we turn our backs on our own people. We truly are not as civilized as we think.

It's a goddamned shame.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:53:48 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: 29,000 Children Dead in 90 days.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 08:27:25 pm »
Just horrible. I was thinking the other day how much money and resources human beings spend on killing each other. Think of the combined military forces of the world, the numbers of people employed, not just soldiers but all the corporations that support the various militaries. All the handguns, rifles, tanks, planes, bombs, etc designed to kill other humans or deter one group of humans from killing a different group. Then we have situations like Somalia where rather than actively killing humans we make the choice to let them die. I think about the alien race you refer to and wonder if their species was inherently cooperative rather than competitive how insane we would look. If I were designing a species I think I would sacrifice some individualism for inherent collaboration.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 08:33:27 pm »
MSNBC has this buried in the page..
msnbc television has had pictures, live reports, and updates on this situation every hour in the last 3 hourly shows

sadly, Somalia has been a festering problem over-looked by the world for decades
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 08:49:01 pm »
If you would like to donate to famine releif go to lastword.msnbc.com
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Jody

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 09:05:56 pm »
Yes Will it is an awful situation and should leave us asking WHY is this allowed to happen in this day and age when collectively as a species we know better, where indeed has sanity gone to allow a militant group of thugs to allow these kindly, humble people to die like sick dogs in the street?  It is awful and I wish the charitable donations of the generous people around would do good instead of rotting or winding up on the black markets the militant murderers, warlords and other creatures control.

Sickening is too soft a word.

Jody >:( :( :'(
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 09:53:53 pm »
I have watched the stories on the national news for days now. It is gut wrenching and while donating money seems right and honorable in this instance the likelihood of food, without great risks taken, making it to those who need it is slim. It is a mess.

They are such a beautiful people. Many Somali live in my community. It pleases me every time I see the women in their fabulous multi-fabric outfits and their children en route to the bus or bank.

I wish all of them could enjoy their home country, their lands, livestock and kin. Will, you're right. It is a tragedy deserving of military aid. I hope those who can make the important decisions to affect change, do.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.