Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:26:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 507
Total: 508

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Positive for Covid  (Read 7700 times)

Offline Shazam9cd4

Positive for Covid
« on: December 05, 2022, 04:13:51 am »
Does anyone have any experience with Covid and anti virals for them?

I just tested positive.  Had a scratchy  throat and decided to take a RAT test.  Feeling like more symptoms emerging but at moment temp OK,  O2 OK, blood pressure slightly elevated from Normal (140/85). Normal = 120/75. But that could be from knowing i tested positive! 

I only found out of my HIV status this May.  left the hospital end of May after after a bout of severe pneumonia (PCP) and 9 CD count.  My sept test show CD 4 of 110 and VL of 175.   I gave blood samples last week for a 3 month follow up but no results yet. 

My doctor is recommending out of an abundance of caution i immediately go on a course of Paxlovid and Mulnupiravir. 

Does anyone have any experience with 1) low CD4 and Covid?  2) taking this dual combo of anti-virals? 

Just trying to get some more comfort and reduce my current worry. 

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Positive for Covid
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 04:20:29 am »
Until a few weeks ago, all covid related posts were merged into these two threads:

COVID Thread:
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=73775

COVID Vaccine thread:
https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=75065

I hope that helps. Plenty of members picked up COVID.

Anyhow, hope you feel better soon.

HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 06:20:03 am »
🙏🏻 🙏🏻 🙏🏻 🙏🏻

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 06:47:56 am »
Doesnt sound too encouraging for someone like me (61, below 200 CD4, recent PCP) but should be stable viral load.  Scared but trying not to be.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 07:02:39 am »
Don't be scared.

Yes, you have COVID, but on the positive side, there are far worse things in life, and you have treatment and access to healthcare.

Seems like you are doing well, considering you are typing on the forum means you are not on your deathbed ;) Relax and get some rest; focus on something within your control.

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 04:48:40 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with Covid and anti virals for them?

HI,

Hope your feeling better. I can only share my experience with you, after testing positive for covid in October.

I was not experiencing low tcells, viral load was underectable. Mine were in the upper 600's range. I am sure you will be fine !

I posted about it in the covid thread, that Jim Provided,  But I will share with you, what they gave me for Covid:

From the Covid thread:

"Ed and I both tested positive for Covid on Monday afternoon, with a home test kit.

We both thought we had seasonal allergies going on. The Oak trees are doing their thing right now. We've been sleeping with the windows open and fans on, because the nights have been wonderful. Been going on for at least 5 days, prior to testing.

No problem with loss of taste or smell. our energy levels are still good, Appetites are great. neither of us have shortness of breath. But we both have some head stuffiness, and very minor intermittent coughs, and sneezing.

Anyway I decided to test, and sure enough both of us are positive for covid.

I private messaged my doctor at the VA, on Monday, and they are sending me:

1. ALBUTEROL 90MCG (CFC-F) 200D ORAL INHL

**INHALE 2 PUFFS BY MOUTH FOUR TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR BREATHING - SHAKE WELL

2.BENZONATATE 100MG CAP

**TAKE ONE CAPSULE BY MOUTH THREE TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR COUGH. (SWALLOW CAPSULE WHOLE. DO NOT CRUSH, CHEW OR DISSOLVE IN MOUTH)

3.GUAIFENESIN 400MG TAB

**TAKE ONE TABLET BY MOUTH THREE TIMES A DAY AS NEEDED FOR CONGESTION

4.METHYLPREDNISOLONE 4MG TAB DOSEPAK,21
   ** TAKE TABLET(S) BY MOUTH DAILY WITH FOOD FOLLOWING ENCLOSED PACKAGE INSTRUCTIONS - FOR COVID INFECTION - (DO *NOT* TAKE ON EMPTY STOMACH).

PS I never used the Albuterol, or the Methlyprednisolone

7 days after testing positive for Covid, We both retested, and the results were negative.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2022, 07:58:57 pm »
My vivid horror was back in August.

12 days of posit6 tests and I was sick for over a week. Here in Australia I wasn't considered high risk for serious infection so no.option for medications.

I didn't bother notifying to be department of health.  They didn't.provide the  tears or possibility.of care.

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2022, 04:05:23 am »
Well -  i just got results for my last early Dec blood tests.  They are i guess as can be expected given the variability of CD4 over short periods of time.  I was hoping after 3 months they would continue a steady rise up but that was not to be.    All WBCs were down which i have a hard time not being concerned about.   But on the positive side my VL was down and my creatine seems to have stabilised.  Results since April from when i first realized i was pos. 

Apr/may/jun/aug/sept/nov
Cd4.     9/13/41/73/104/94
Cd4%   8/12.8/17.5/17/17.2/16.8
CD8.    58/25/76/110/141/120
Cd4/8 .16/.52/.55/.66/.74/.79
Vl.             ?/5000/?/247/175/91
CTN.      ?/116/112/118/127/121
WBC.     2.4/3.5/3.4/4.5/4.5/3.8
Lymp.   .1/.3/.4/.5/.6/.6

I guess 2 data points dont make a trend (last two).  So will need to hold tight for the next one.   

Another good result was my HbsAb titers remained high at 399.  So the antibodies survived the CD4 collapse.   Will
Br interesting to check my covid antibodies in another month after natural infection and compare to vaccine results. 

Offline harleymc

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2022, 01:05:42 pm »
They are testing you to push the profit margins of the pathology companies.

This hyper regular testing regime isn't helping you

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2022, 09:01:51 pm »
They are testing you to push the profit margins of the pathology companies.

This hyper regular testing regime isn't helping you
I agree. The Ryan White program requires testing 4 times a year because they have data that says that is the amount of patient contact that ensures medication compliance. However, a stable patient really only needs maybe 1 test a year. A newly diagnosed person needs testing maybe every 3-4 months in the first year  to make sure treatment is working.

Testing once a month is serious overkill; and a lot of money in someone's coffers.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Shazam9cd4

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2023, 04:37:40 am »
Harleymc - FYi testing  is mostly free where i am.  Furthermore where it may be free for the primary HIV health markers its not always so for complete blood counts that are markers or indicators for broader health issues.  Those tests started in the hospital when inahd an acute PCP infection.   These were then Followed up by regular testing over time, before and after travel events and illness events. 

So - appreciate you may jump to judgement without the appropriate information as so many people do but suggest rather than rash remarks an appropriate question would be better suited.

I am fortunate to be in a location where the testing and meds are affordable. FY further information i am fascinated by the results and their ebb and flow in synch with what i know of my body over that time.  Ive tracked my blood test Results over the past 20 years and long before i was tested positive. Why? Because ive aleays bern fascinated by body chemistry.  You want to know another reason i dont mind testing?  Its one of the few times i can have enjoyable discussions with smart people and be completely open about my condition.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2023, 05:34:10 am »
I think the point, although prehaps a bit blunt, was that testing so frequently is a resource usage, even if affordable to the end customer (you), and within any system, someone is always making money out of it. Anyhow, of course, everyone here is welcome to their opinion.

I can't say I see or know of any true benefit to testing so frequently, but if it makes you happy and hospital/clinic staff are happy to do it, that's okay. 

Its one of the few times i can have enjoyable discussions with smart people and be completely open about my condition.

I love that and it's great that you have a clinic/hospital that is supportive and conversational. Bit jealous if I am honest as although mostly polite & professional, I usually find they are as thick and naive as the rest of the population can be.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 05:36:22 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2023, 08:50:56 am »
I think the point, although prehaps a bit blunt, was that testing so frequently is a resource usage, even if affordable to the end customer (you)
Not to mention that monthly testing for HIV doesn't reflect the reality that recovery from an elevated VL takes time.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.