Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:17:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 254
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 230
Total: 231

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Who can I turn to...?  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Sadgirluk

• Standard
Who can I turn to...?
« on: July 29, 2013, 07:24:01 am »
Hi there,

I'm a 25 year old woman living in the UK.

I am honestly at my wit's end and don't know what to do anymore. I have been feeling unwell since March- strange headaches, raised lymph nodes, sinus infections,yeast infections, visual disturbances, neuropathy, fatigue, muscle aches and mouth sores, however, HIV/AIDS has only registered as a possibility for the last month or so.

I have had two CBCs, which have both been completely normal (according to doctor) and I had a sexual health screening where I tested negative for all STDs, including HIV.

I have only ever had two boyfriends and was a veritable virgin until last year. I was with my first boyfriend for nearly five years but I am speaking the honest to god truth when I say we never had penetrative sex. I did have a pregnancy/STD scare at the beginning of the relationship (I was naive and pretty clueless on these subjects, as you can probably tell) and I have a feeling that he may not have been completely honest about his sexual history with me. However, he tested negative for lots of STDs (not specifically for HIV, might I add) and donated blood so being the ridiculously clueless and naive person I so clearly am, I didn't think to get tested myself and put the symptoms I'd been experiencing down to the fact that I wasn't 'used' to sexual contact. I'm now even beginning to think that he might have been lying about the blood donation- although I do remember seeing a letter from the blood donation service in his room.

I have been with my current boyfriend for nearly two years but he's a really innocent guy and I know for a fact he hasn't been with anybody before me (which makes all of this a hundred times worse). I'm also concerned as I've been living with my family for the past five years that I could have unwittingly been walking about with HIV and passed it on to them (embarrassingly enough, my mum often does my laundry and it is possible that she could have come in contact with menstrual blood, etc). I am actually going mad with guilt and think I can see symptoms in all of them. I have not been able to go to work because of this and I don't want to do anything, and still these symptoms persist...

Basically, I think I might be suffering from late-stage HIV infection (with possible opportunistic infections already present- candida and cytomegalovirus) and was wondering a couple of things...

1. I understand that 'seroreversion' is possible in late-stage HIV cases but regardless of symptoms, I'm still able to walk around and haven't lost all of my strength, neither have I lost a dramatic amount of weight. Is this a possibility? Or am I maybe dealing with some bizarre strain of the virus which doesn't show up on the test?

I imagine I will have to go back to the sexual health clinic at some point anyway but if I do, what should I ask them for? Would Western blot/CD4/viral load test be a better indicator if I did so happen to be advanced enough to be antibody-negative? (I believe the test I had was a combined antibody/antigen test).

2. If I was at this late stage, wouldn't something be showing up on the CBC? Like I said I've had two now, and both times the doctors have actually commented on how healthy my bloods would suggest I am! But if that's the case, why am I getting these infections? Would the fact that my white blood count is normal despite these indicate some kind of immune problem? Having read up a lot, I know CBCs aren't a good indicator as a general rule, but this really just completely flummoxes me...

I understand I must sound like a complete hypochondriac and that's how I'm being treated by all the health professionals I've seen but I genuinely feel that my concerns are real. I feel like I'm being brushed aside just because I'm not in a perceived 'high-risk' group.

Can anybody shed some light or give me advice on who I could turn to next?

I have been so unhappy for so long...

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Who can I turn to...?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:42:13 am »
Sad,

Provided you tested hiv negative three months past your last incident of UNPROTECTED vaginal intercourse, then you do not have hiv.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week (or more) negative is highly unlikely to change, but must be confirmed at the three month point.

Please clarify where in the window period you tested.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sadgirluk

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 08:09:09 am »
Hi Ann,

Thank you for your response.

My case is a little unusual in that this exposure would have been a long time ago- 2006/2007, and I think that the symptoms being experienced could be down to late-stage infection rather than acute infection.

I mentioned in the previous post that I never had penetrative sex with my first boyfriend but was with him for five years and engaged in activities that might not have led to me being infected on the one-off chance but I imagine probably would have done if repeated enough (i.e. oral sex, etc).

I should also probably mention, that now that I think back, my ex-boyfriend did show a lot of symptoms that could be indicative of HIV infection (skin rashes/stomach issues/repeated bouts of tonsillitis and glandular fever) but because he donated blood, and wasn't really clued up back then, I didn't think anything of these. It's only now that I'm putting two and two together.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 08:33:59 am »
The only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. If you did not engage in those activities then you didn't put yourself at risk.

It's still a good idea for you to get tested if only to clarify your status as HIV negative.

Nothing you are reporting symptomatically is HIV-specific so stop playing doctor with yourself. You should be discussing your symptoms with a doctor to find out what the real problem(s) is/are.

At this moment I am not clear that you have had a real risk unless you have had unprotected intercourse with one of the two guys you mention.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 08:46:37 am »
Sad,

Again, if you've tested three months past your last incident of UNPROTECTED vaginal (or anal) intercourse, then you are conclusively and reliably hiv negative. You do NOT have hiv.

Even if you were infected years ago, you would still be producing antibodies and you would have had a positive result. The only way you could be hiv positive is if you last had unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse within the last six weeks and tested too early in the window period.

If you continue to feel unwell, continue working with a doctor. Whatever is going on, you've already ruled hiv out of the picture.

For future reference, here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sadgirluk

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 09:38:51 am »
Thank you Andy and Ann,

Andy- I didn't have unprotected vaginal sex but there were instances where semen could have come into contact with mucus membranes.

I think I'm just getting a little concerned because so many other things HAVE been ruled out such as diabetes, anaemia, etc.

I really do think I have symptoms that would indicate something off with my immune system but just dumbfounded as to why nothing has come up in standard blood tests. Before I had my HIV test, I was so certain it was going to be positive that I had to admit everything to my family. Obviously, they were relieved when it was negative but I'm still finding it very difficult to understand...

I really appreciate you responding to me so quickly though.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 09:49:20 am »
Sad,

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse where the virus never leaves the confines of the two bodies.

Once outside the body, small changes in temperature, and pH and moisture levels all quickly damage the virus and render it unable to infect. For this reason, getting semen on mucus membranes - unless those mucus membranes are INSIDE your body - is not a risk for hiv infection. Outside your body includes your outer vaginal/anal area.

You need to understand that (had you been positive, which you are NOT) you never in a million years would have infected any family members unless you were having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, or sharing drug injecting equipment, with them.

In adults, hiv is transmitted by:

Unprotected anal intercourse.

Unprotected vaginal intercourse.

Sharing drug injecting equipment.

And that's IT.

You need to keep working with a doctor to find out what, if anything, is actually wrong with you.

Whatever that may be, it is NOT hiv. You have ruled hiv OUT as a possible cause, just like you've ruled out diabetes and anaemia. You believe those tests, you can also believe your negative hiv test results.

If you cannot bring yourself to believe that you are hiv negative despite your results to the contrary, perhaps it's time you sought counselling. We cannot help you with that here.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. IT REALLY IS THAT SIMPLE!!! Really!

Ann

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 09:51:33 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.