Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 348
Total: 350

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: tested poz in August 09  (Read 9042 times)

Offline sparky1976

tested poz in August 09
« on: September 25, 2009, 08:17:11 am »
Hello,

New guy here based in the UK. Not sure where to start, so I guess its best to say I never actually went specifically to get a HIV test. I had discovered some strange lumps on my foreskin so went to my local G.P. to have them checked out, she kind of dismissed them as merely spots that would go with time. They didn’t, so I went to my local GUM clinic to have them checked out and whilst I was there I was asked did I want to have a HIV test. I figured what the heck, I hadn’t had one for ages and was fairly dismissive in that I was negative so it was no big deal. So I gave blood and they made an appointment for me to come back in two week to get the results. In all honesty the fact I’d had the tests had completely gone out of my mind. That was until I got the call from the clinic to come back in early. My bloods had been screened three times and had come back positive. I was informed at that point they were being sent off again to be screened (some kind of confirmation test) but it was unlikely, given how I had tested positive within the three tests undertaken thus far, that these results would be any different. Needless to say they weren’t.

I got the initial results on the Monday, the final confirmation on the Tuesday and I was brought in to see the consultant on the Wednesday. By then I’d told my parents and a few close friends, thankfully they reacted positively (pardon the pun) to the news. My mum came with me to see the consultant mainly because my head was still spinning from the news so I knew I wouldn’t take anything in other than the, “this doesn’t mean you’re going to die and it is not a death sentence” line I’d be told by my health advisor on the monday when I was told I was positive. She was really good, apparently one of the UK’s leading consultants within the field so I felt that bit more reassured of what I was being told.  I gave more blood, again, and an appointment was made for me to come back when I would get my first count.

Got my first count, which was good. I can’t remember my viral load level as I switched off (probably more out of panic) but my CD4 came in at 975. I recall him saying my Viral was very low though and that I have a non-resistant strain. I’ve also been told meds are probably a long way off if my counts remain as they are at present, though I’m not in denial that there will be times when they are up and down but I shouldn’t and wont look at this as a negative sign.

Overall while I have to say, again please pardon the pun, I’ve remained very positive to the news.  Don’t get me wrong; I would sooner not have HIV but the fact of the matter is I have and there is nothing I can do about it. The week leading on from being told I was positive was very surreal. Up and down and crying a lot. I also found myself zoning out completely at times almost as if the world around me had slowed down and found myself looking and people and wondering to myself whether they had HIV as well. I’ve stopped doing this now.

I recently got in touch with a local HIV foundation to see what services, if any, I could utilise. I’m not really one for these support groups as such, though I do appreciate the benefit they can be to others. I just don’t feel standing up in front of a group is really something I want to do or would benefit me much, although I am a very cynical person. Having said that, I am attending a 5-week course for newly diagnosed gay men in November, which is aimed at providing information for people who have tested positive within the last 12 months. They do have other groups, but the advisor I saw suggested that maybe mixing with people in groups who have lived with HIV for longer is probably not the best move right now – I think more so because they’re outlook on HIV will be different given the varying amount of time they’re lived with it.  I think it’s a case of too much information to soon might not be the better strategy. Either way I’m content to attend this group and see whether it works for me.

Like I said above, I’ve told my parents and a few close friends. Feels kind of weird to be honest; almost like ‘coming out’ again. Everyone has been upset, obviously, but have all be very supportive though I feel the minute I catch a cold they’ll all be driving me mad making sure I’m okay. I’ve also told work, though I know I’m under no legal obligation to do so, and they’ve been wonderful and again; very understanding and supportive about it. I just felt that whilst I was waiting for my counts to come back they could come back high or low and if I needed a lot of time of work as a result of either it was better to be upfront with them, so they knew why I need the time off.  Only the partners of the firm I work for know, as well a few others who I trust within work. Its kind of on a ‘need to know basis’ and whilst I don’t doubt I’ll be much more open about it in the future, as I am about most things, at the moment I’m still in the ‘adjusting’ period so I’m very careful of whom I tell. Having said that a friend is a friend no matter what you tell them, to some degree, so if anyone reacts badly then they clearly aren’t the friends I thought they were, just I don’t necessarily want my HIV status being plastered on someone’s facebook update.  

And that’s about it really. I have my next appointment with my health advisor in October where will no doubt have to given even more blood, I go to my group in November so will see how that pans out for me. I tend to not dwell on the fact I’m HIV and just get on with life as I would regardless of my status. I think the next hurdle for me is going to be dating. I don’t want to pigeon hole myself into dating only ‘positive’ men, I can see why a lot do, but I’m optimistic, if not a little naive, that there is nothing to stop me having a relationship with someone who is negative. I’ll have to get back to you on that one I guess as I must admit the thought of telling someone in that situation is very daunting and again, reminds me of when I came out as being gay all those years ago. Something I had hoped I’d never have to go through again.

Anyway, I’ve waffled on for long enough and thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read all this. To the moderators, I’m sorry if I should have posted this in another thread, but after reading a few of threads open I felt it was a bit rude to hijack someone else’s thread as I was not positing as a direct response to them, however feel free to merge this post with another thread if it is felt necessary.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 08:55:51 am by sparky1976 »

Offline Lakis

Re: tested poz in August 09
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 05:50:41 pm »
Hi,
Welcome to our Forum. Im sure you are going to meet some nice people here and get ( in casae you need it) a good , and honest advise.
Lakis

Offline sparky1976

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »
Hi,
Welcome to our Forum. Im sure you are going to meet some nice people here and get ( in casae you need it) a good , and honest advise.
Lakis

Hey, thanks for saying hello and i hope so... on a side note, not really related to me finding out im HIV... but how the hell do you open private messages on here? i keep getting this message: An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't read your personal messages.
and cant seem to send messages either so i can ask a mod about how i fix this  ???

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 08:25:19 pm »
Hey, thanks for saying hello and i hope so... on a side note, not really related to me finding out im HIV... but how the hell do you open private messages on here? i keep getting this message: An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't read your personal messages.
and cant seem to send messages either so i can ask a mod about how i fix this  ???

I think you need to post 3 times to the forum to send personal messages.
But it shouldn't be a requirement to receive messages. That sounds like more like a bug.

Offline CHUCK610

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 08:27:44 pm »

Welcome to the forum

Don't worry about waffling on this is what this site is about, getting support and getting out your thoughts, concerns and asking questions when you need too. I tested Poz in May and it took me about 2 months to get to the thinking where you are at. Don't get me wrong I still have a bad day now and again. But, they are shorter and not as intense.

Thanks for sharing

Diagnosed 5/01/09
cd4 289 vl 20k 20.5%
6/03/09 started med Reyataz, Norvir, Truvada
7/6/09 cd4 463, vl 1,400. 22%
7/22/09 cd4 472 vl 260, 29%
9/1/09 cd4 462 vl 218, 30.8%
10/22/09 cd4 462 vl undetectable (yahoo) 30.6 %
01/21/2010 cd4 537 undetectable  35.8%

Offline sparky1976

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 06:55:59 am »
I think you need to post 3 times to the forum to send personal messages.
But it shouldn't be a requirement to receive messages. That sounds like more like a bug.

ah, i see. thats sucks as i have a message and i cant access to reply. hope it corrects itself then. or that i can now send messages out to alert a mod/admin to the problem. thanks tho. :)

edit: it would seem you do need to make 3 posts on the forum before you can read or send messages. so problemo sorted. pheew.

Welcome to the forum

Don't worry about waffling on this is what this site is about, getting support and getting out your thoughts, concerns and asking questions when you need too. I tested Poz in May and it took me about 2 months to get to the thinking where you are at. Don't get me wrong I still have a bad day now and again. But, they are shorter and not as intense.

Thanks for sharing

hello and thanks.

the week following on from finding out i was pos was sureal. i think it helped that i could go home and spend time with my folks and that work just told me to go home and come back when i felt up to coming back. i think all of this, plus the high cd4 and low viral count has helped in its own way to lessen the blow. i've had a few days when i get down in the dumps about it, but i tend to snap myself out of it. in genral i have always bounced back quick from bad news; tho i dont think ive had news on this level before in my life. its strange, in that i have often thought in the past how i would react to being told i was HIV and i honestly thought i would have been worse than i was/am, but i guess you never really know how you'll react until you're in that position yourself. also getting in touch with the HIV foundation and boards like this help because for a while it feels like your the only one with it, you know your not but because you dont know anyone else who is HIV to relate too, it can be a very isolating experience.

on a positive note, i get the swine flu vaccine before anyone else does lol ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:05:18 am by sparky1976 »

Offline CHUCK610

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:49:02 am »
Hi Sparky,

I know what you mean about feeling isolated, I feel that way sometimes too, cause I don't know anyone who is hiv poz either. And when ever I have to get my meds refilled I have to reorder them a week before so the pharmacy I go to can order them. So guess where I live no one else has it or gets from my pharmacy. But, all in all I am feeling pretty good, I'm eating healthier and more back into my normal routine. I have a great support system in place for when I do get down in the dumps and tend to snap out of it pretty quickly.

You are doing great, keep up the positive outlook and you'll be fine.

Talk to you later, I'm going to go for a ride on my motorcycle

Chuck
Diagnosed 5/01/09
cd4 289 vl 20k 20.5%

Offline sparky1976

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 12:27:11 pm »
hey,

well over the past few weeks I’ve discovered a few people I know are also HIV. i was shocked, in that my jaw hit the ground shocked. I guess I now know how my folks and close friends felt when I told them I had the lurgi. I was a bit taken back by how I reacted at finding out people I knew had it, and that I’d never guessed. It’s all very strange and odd and at times when you think nothing else can spook you, something does.

Could it be that the specific meds your on aren’t the same as others, hence why you need to order in advance? I don’t claim to be an expert when it comes to meds, ive been told I might be a long way of treatment so haven’t really started reading to much into that side as I feel I have enough to get to grips with… but aren’t there different types of medication, so maybe what your on needs to be ordered in advance? All my meds, if/when I need them, will be provided by the GUM clinic within the hospital so thankfully I wont have to worry about ordering and such. and if I cant make it to the hospital, for whatever reason, they’re sent out courier to me to ensure I have them in enough time.

I’m glad to hear your feeling you’re getting back into the routine of things and that you have a good support next work. I think just being able to vent to friends, even if they don’t say anything back, is a great help. Tho, just speaking to other going through the same even on a board like this helps a lot because you realise your not alone and others are going through the same as you are. That knowledge in itself is of great comfort at times and helps you pick yourself up and carry on. :)

Ah motorbikes. Well have fun; have to say im a complete wuss so you’ll never catch me on one of them. but if you ever saw how I drive my car you’d agree ive made the right decision haha ;)

Offline CHUCK610

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2009, 09:43:43 pm »
I haven't discovered anyone that I know is poz, I know some people keep it very secret. But, I have found this forum is a wealth of information though at times it would be nice to talk to someone face to face who has it. My family and close friends have been very supportive.

Well the pharmacist told me that they don't have anyother customers that get hiv meds from them. But, they may get it from mail order or from another pharmacy in the area. Its kinda a family pharmacy that I have been going to for years. Could be other people are going to a place they don't know for it. Not a biggie I have gotten to the point that I don't really care who knows I have it or not.

I have always wanted a motorcycle, but when my daughter was younger the wife wouldn't go for it. Now that my daughter is moved out and older my wife reluctantly said ok. I took the safety course back in September ( I highly recommend it) and then after I found out I had this nasty virus I had decided not to. My wife was the one who encouraged me to get it. I can't tell you how happy it makes me. I have had it for 2.5 months and have put over 1,900 miles on it. It kinda gives me peace and helps me forget about the HIV even if it is only for a few hours. I ride every chance I can.

Have a good week and stay strong..you will get through this
Diagnosed 5/01/09
cd4 289 vl 20k 20.5%

Offline sparky1976

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 04:59:22 pm »
I haven't discovered anyone that I know is poz, I know some people keep it very secret.

Well oddly enough I’ve found out through HIV dating sites, like the one attached to this site. I’ve not approached the people in question because I just don’t know how to bring it up. I don’t think they use the site I’ve seen two of their profiles on and for whatever reason they have chosen not to tell me so I it feels kind of strange. Do I drop hints, or just come out direct and say, or just leave it. 

Not a biggie I have gotten to the point that I don't really care who knows I have it or not.

I hope I’m in this position soon. I don’t doubt I wont be, but I think at the moment, even tho I have a fairly good grip on the situation, its still on a need to know basis for me. Its not so much a fear of rejection; its just that I cant be bothered having to tell people, then in the same breath having to reassure them im not suddenly going to curl up and die.

It kinda gives me peace and helps me forget about the HIV even if it is only for a few hours. I ride every chance I can.

Still not sold me on the motorbike, ;) however I can relate to you on this point. When I just want time on my own away from everyone and everything I just jump in my car and go for a drive. It really does help clear my head and just forget about everything and all the stresses. Tho I like nothing better than when the weather is nice (not that often in the UK) to just sit out in the sun somewhere with my ipod blasting and just zone out completely - cheaper too as petrol over here keeps shooting up at an alarming rate haha.

Ah, I have a week of revision ahead of me – law exams soon so that should keep me out of mischief for a while… thanks tho, and I hope you have a good week too.

Offline tony_wdc20001

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 06:28:12 pm »
Welcome to the site Sparky. I am jealous of your numbers but nonetheless happy for you.  I too seem to be adjusting rather well to the news, I have even surprise my doctor who apologized for misjudging my character. I tried to start the dating thing, went to a few HIV+ poz -- was surprised to see a few people I knew and I wasn't aware they were poz also (like yourself, not sure if I should approach the subject with them -- but in due time, I think I will.)  I have dated poz people in the past when I was negative; wow, I truely didn't understand what they were going through at the time but I am comforted in the fact that I treated them like I would like to be treated now if I ever date a negative person.  Needless to say, I have decided to back away from the dating...I realized I was pushing myself to resume a close to normal life as possible and I think I need to spend a little time an focus on myself a little more.

Good luck and great health
Tony
-------
05/08 - Tested negative (oral)
09/08 - Tested negative (blood)
02/09 - Flu-like symptoms
02/09 - Tested negative (blood)
07/09 - Tested positive (blood)
07/30/09 - CD4 147 (12%),  VL 40803
08/13/09 - Started Viramune/Truvada (1 tablet each 1x day)
08/23/09 - Increase Viramune (1 tablet 2x day)
09/09/09 - CD4 380 (22%), VL 207
10/05/09 - CD4 441 (24%), VL 90
10/27/09 - CD4 479 (26%), VL 111
12/16/09 - CD4 455 (31%), VL 50
02/24/10 - CD4 646 (32%), VL undetectable
06/14/10 - CD4 590 (30%), VL undetectable

Offline sparky1976

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2009, 07:01:31 pm »
Hi Tony and thanks, I’m glad to hear you’re adjusting well to the news – still feels slightly surreal when I think about it.

Yeah I think for now im just going to leave it. It’s not a major issue that they know I know or they know im positive as well. I dunno, I think finding out people I knew where positive was a shock, but also oddly I took a bit of comfort from it - I think because it helped me come to terms with the feeling of isolation I found myself experiencing. As for dating, I know im incredibly picky, so I know I couldn’t date someone for the sake of it being easier, or less stress. It just wouldn’t work for me, but at the same time whilst I have adjust well and quickly, I don’t think im ready to deal with the type of rejection that comes from being HIV. I mean, its one thing to be rejected because someone just isn’t interested, but to know they are but it’s the issue of HIV that they cant get to grips with is another. I can totally understand why it would spook someone, so I cant fault anyone for getting spooked… I’m totally over thinking things here aren’t i? I should take a step back and play it as it comes instead of worrying about things that may or may not happen, which isn’t good. Also, as I mentioned in above, with the amount of study I’ve got in front of me men really should be the last thing on my mind haha ;)

Again thanks and take care yourself :)

Offline sparky1976

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2009, 04:35:42 pm »
update: my second sets of counts came back, my viral load has gone up slightly to 2236 with my Cd4 dropping slightly to 956 tho im not to concenred about it as ive had a lot of crap since my last count - minor op, stess of law exams, so ive im looking at this as soon long due good news... also start my course at a HIV/Aids trust in manchester next week for people diagnosed within the last year so see how that goes. overall remaining positive menatally over it all and just getting on with things. :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 08:44:21 am »
Sparky, you're doing very well in your handling this powerful and unexpected news since August.

Your numbers will likely fluctuate for a while until they settle down. That's very common.

I hope you know that you're always welcome here to talk about anything that's on your mind, to ask questions and just to chat if you're feeling like doing that.

Gradually you're going to learn what you need to know to stay healthy. It also seems like you've lucked out well in finding quality medical professionals. That's a major tool for staying well.

Cheers and again, welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline sparky1976

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2009, 11:05:37 am »
Hi Andy and thanks.  

I think the fact that I have such a good set of medical professionals, as well as speaking to the George House Trust, has helped me come to terms with my diagnosis a whole lot quicker and easier. All three have made themselves available whenever I’ve needed to ask them anything and then presented any information I have needed in a very easy to understand manner. So overall I’d say I’m feeling okay with everything at the moment.

In relation to my numbers you’ve echoed exactly what my health advisor warned me might happen when I got my first count, so I wasn’t too shocked or concerned and with it not being a drastic change my HA and consultant aren’t too concerned about it either.  

I guess it’s all a big learning curve - still lots of things I don’t know and still feel a bit out of my depth and wonder whether I’m asking the right things… but I think this course I’m attending (tomorrow is the fist group) might help me as a different topic will be covered each week and topics include - HIV terminology, sex and risk and employment, disclosure, etc. so no-doubt a lot of the questions I still haven’t asked will probably be answered over the coming 5 weeks. Well see.

I think for me anyway, just being able to waffle on about things here, like going to give blood and getting numbers back, helps me keep everything in perspective because whenever I mention anything to my friends… yeah they’re nice about it and all, but they cant really relate so it can be a bit frustrating at times… so thanks for listening, well reading. :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.