Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:47:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 361
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: For Pros (1966-1994)  (Read 10193 times)

Offline gemini20

For Pros (1966-1994)
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »
Pros (26 September 1966 – 29 January 1994)

Within a couple of months of my diagnosis I was offered a room in a shared house for HIV+ women; At the time I was living on my cousin's sofa so I jumped at the chance to have a room of my own even though I had no idea who I would be living with.

My housemate turned out to be a Ugandan woman by the name of Pros, and in the two years we lived together we became ‘sisters’. Our lives couldn't have been more diverse and yet we were brought together through this shared diagnosis.

She was one of the most beautiful women I had ever met with the most wonderful smile that lit up a room. She was a very private woman, hence I have not used her full name in this tribute but what little she told me of her life in Uganda was enough to know that she had been through a very traumatic experience prior to seeking asylum in the UK in the 1980s.

I have lots of special memories with her but the one that always makes me smile is the night when we sat watching a football game together on her big double bed. It was Liverpool vs Southampton (my second team) and although she never understood my love of the 'beautiful game' she got just as excited as me that night and we were giving each other high-fives when the goals went in.

I'll never be able to forget those hours sat at her bedside in the old Westminster hospital. Trekking to her ward every night after work, never knowing if she's made it through the day. Then sitting listening to her quiet voice spilling out dementia-induced words of fear and pain as the MAI took hold. 

Although she did recover from that episode, she was never 100% well again and within another 12 months her health deteriorated to the point where she had to be moved into a hospice. I never got to say goodbye, I postponed my evening visit as I was just too tired from a demanding week at work and when I called the next morning to check it was okay to visit I was told the news that she'd passed on. Knowing Pros, that's the way she would have wanted it.

A proud, dignified, beautiful woman whose memory still brings tears to my eyes.
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline yasoza

Re: For Pros (1966-1994)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:21:19 am »
 Bravo to you gemini20! I am a girl from malawi and i read about uganda alot, which is really sad, let  your friend rest in peace and happeniss be with you! stay blessed

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.