Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:51:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 670
Total: 672

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: the coolest thing about disability!  (Read 7389 times)

Offline zach

the coolest thing about disability!
« on: July 30, 2014, 09:09:49 pm »
a free lifetime national park and forest pass, 50% off camping fees, free parking
http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access_pass_application.pdf

Offline tednlou2

Re: the coolest thing about disability!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 09:23:54 pm »
What are the things national parks charge?  I didn't know about parking.  I did know about camping.  We went camping at Cumberland Gap and they used the honor system.  Anyone camping is suppose to put their camping fee in the box.  I wonder how this applies to those honor system boxes?  You only stick in 50% of the payment? 

Thanks for the info.  I know people who are disabled and who still like to go to national parks to camp old school or with RV's. 

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 09:35:31 pm »
appears this applies to all lands managed by the dept of interior, so national parks service, national forests, BLM, still figuring it out

yeah, seems like at honor sites you simply pay the fee you're supposed to, probably write down your pass number on the payment envelope

my father has a golden ages pass, for retired, says it looks like the same thing

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/access.html

50% off expanded amenities; camping, swimming beaches, boat launches

does NOT cover state parks

"In addition to free entry, does the Access Pass include any discounts at Federal Recreation sites?
At many sites the Access Pass provides the pass owner a discount on Expanded Amenity Fees (such as camping, swimming, boat launching, and guided tours).

What are the discount guidelines?
The pass program is managed by five Federal agencies that operate under different regulations and have different fees. Therefore, the discount program for the Access Pass is not handled in the same way on all Federal recreation lands.

In general discounts are honored as follows:
Individual Campsites: The discount only applies to the fee for the campsite physically occupied by the pass owner, not to any additional campsite(s) occupied by members of the pass owner's party.
Campsites with Utility Hookups: If utility fees are charged separately, there is no discount. The discount may apply if the utility fee is combined (seamless) with the campsite fee."

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 09:44:43 pm by zach »

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 11:32:20 pm »
I enjoy riding the subway for $1 and smelling the urine along the underground passageways.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:33:48 pm »
I enjoy antivirals .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:39:47 pm »
I enjoy riding the subway for $1 and smelling the urine along the underground passageways.

i live in the only metro county without mass transit. we used to have it. alot of corruption involved. its been horrible on the local economy, i see it as war on poor people.

Offline weasel

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 11:13:35 am »

All   State Parks are free to all live people in Missouri .
       Need not be a resident of Missouri .

Camping sites cost money  ;)

We have the best River Beaches in The heartland  :)

Carl
" Live and let Live "

Offline initforlife

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »
All state parks are free in Missouri. but you have to pay boat ramp fee's swimming fee's  here I know swimming is 3 dollars a car. not sure what boats cost anymore. and of course camps sites cost!
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline zach

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:16:00 pm »
i spend a lot of time in national forests anyway. this will save me money, in very short order. no parking, and half off camping, holding tank pump out, and boat launch. and thats for life, that part blew my mind.

all national forest, blm and dept of agriculture, thats like all huntable lands, everywhere. for life.

without even trying hard i mapped out six months of fishable campsites, all within two hours of my home address and clinic. cost less than $600.

seasonally, it makes sense for me. its the road travel that costs

this is just one piece of trying to keep living my way, and still manage the bug. spring of next year, experiment, if it works out, great. if not, i'm close to home.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 02:45:38 pm by zach »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 02:49:50 pm »
I have huge tent that has never been used my dad gave me . My friends refuse to even discuss going camping so I haven't been in years . I also have a queen blowup bed but still no takers in my circle LOL .

How do you prove you are disabled ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:56:42 pm »
the disability determination letter from social security, and a supporting letter from a doctor, both i already have

we also get a free hunting/fishing licenses in most states

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 03:41:52 pm »
I can go to a park that is five times the size of Central Park in NYC for $1.50; we do not hunt and fish there.

Offline weasel

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 07:03:01 pm »
All state parks are free in Missouri. but you have to pay boat ramp fee's swimming fee's  here I know swimming is 3 dollars a car. not sure what boats cost anymore. and of course camps sites cost!

I could name dozens of really nice swimming areas that are FREE !

I have never had to pay to swim at any Missouri state park in our parts of the Ozarks  :)
    JOHNSON'S SHUT-INS STATE PARK is a fabulous river beach .

This is a great link to FREE swimming  :)

http://mostateparks.com/activity/swimming   

Come to Missouri , It's vacation land .

Carl   
" Live and let Live "

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 07:04:47 pm »
I'm on my way out the door to backpack in the Canadian Rockies.....but I'll have to pay full price :( , but it will be worth it.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline weasel

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 07:09:46 pm »
I have huge tent that has never been used my dad gave me . My friends refuse to even discuss going camping so I haven't been in years . I also have a queen blowup bed but still no takers in my circle LOL .

How do you prove you are disabled ?

All I have to do is show my Medi-Care card  ;)

It works for anything I have ever had to prove I was disabled .

Carl

P.S.  Bob and I used to take the Cadillac and our Pop-up Tent to almost every KOA Camp Site
       on the west coast . I loved every minute of it  :D
" Live and let Live "

Offline initforlife

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2014, 07:48:42 pm »
weasel,  You might be right. Maybe lake wappapello  is not considered a state park. Which is where we had to pay to swim and for boating.  Was just in the Johnson shut in's and elephant rock state park a few weeks ago . those were all free. 
sometimes it is best to say nothing at all. then to offend

Offline Since1993

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2014, 08:09:27 pm »
I would have to say no longer having to work full-time.  I just don't have the reserve to work like I used to.  There are "perks" such as discounts for some products and services which helps living on a fixed income.  I have a friend who uses a handicap license plate that gives him easier access to shopping and that would probably be his "coolest" thing.

Offline weasel

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 10:45:56 am »
weasel,  You might be right. Maybe lake wappapello  is not considered a state park. Which is where we had to pay to swim and for boating.  Was just in the Johnson shut in's and elephant rock state park a few weeks ago . those were all free.

I wanted to take my twin brother to Elephant Rock last week  :)
      He said no !   He was afraid he would slip off a rock  :o

If the weather does not warm up around here I will not be swimming anywhere  :'(

Carl

P.S.    You passed my house on the way to  lake wappapello , you shoulda waved  ;D
" Live and let Live "

Offline zach

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 04:27:13 pm »
mwahahahaha...

Offline wolfter

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 05:02:23 pm »
I tried to find a link to national parks but the brain isn't working real well at the moment.  was going to check if it'd even benefit me to get one.  rural ohio is pretty much one huge national forest....lol

congrats.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline DrewEm

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 02:42:27 am »
If you are a resident of New Jersey and are disabled you can apply for a card good for free admission to all state parks for up to four (you and three others) year round. I will admit, my Medicare card has gotten me either free or reduced rides on many transit systems which is a much better deal!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 02:30:13 pm »
As of 1 September I can visit 17 cultural institutions/museums for a mere $2 entrance fee:

The Academy of Natural Sciences of Drexel University
The African American Museum in Philadelphia
American Swedish Historical Museum
The Barnes Foundation
Eastern State Penitentiary
Christ Church and Christ Church Burial Ground
Independence Seaport Museum
Morris Arboretum
The Mütter Museum
The National Constitution Center
The National Museum of American Jewish History
The University of Pennsylvania Museum
The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
The Philadelphia History Museum at the Atwater Kent
The Philadelphia Museum of Art
Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens
The Please Touch Museum

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.