Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 04:31:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37697
  • Latest: op-2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773556
  • Total Topics: 66385
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 342
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
I Just Tested Poz / Re: Well... Here I am.
« Last post by Tonny2 on Today at 04:24:03 pm »

ojo.             Hello there!… Welcome to the forum. Well, like Jim just said, if you’re having sex, unprotect sex, you run the risk of getting no just HIV but other STIs. You are no alone, We are here for you to support you at least until you learn how to live with HIV.

Ask Jim said, you are not dying, so there is no need to tell your family about having HIV but, if you want to tell them, I would recommend you to digest the news first and then share your condition with others. i’ve been living with this condition for 29 years and just my family knows about it and this is because I was dying of pneumonia. Otherwise I would have never told them, I respect the choices others make… you are going to be fine just take your medication, just one pill at day, and you can go back to live a normal life to not think about telling anyone about your status or thinking about finding love until you learn how to live with your new normal. Again, we are here for you. Please keep us posted… Hugs.
I Just Tested Poz / Re: Well... Here I am.
« Last post by Jim Allen on Today at 03:30:09 pm »
Hiya.

Sorry about the diagnosis, but glad to hear you have access to and have started treatment and an easy one at that. The ART didn't give you a fever.

I have not told my family, don't know how to

Why would you? Is there a reason you want to share this with them?

am afraid they will not take it very well.

Why? Surely it's not because you had sex, I mean they did not think you were a 53-year-old virgin and we all know sex comes with risks.

I will never find any one to love me like this. Yeah... I know stupid feeling but I am almost kind of ashamed of myself. I never thought for one second that this was going to be the way I finished my life.

You are 53, so far from finished and having HIV doesn't define you. I would be more stressed about herpes than HIV.

Anyhow, it is early days, you are still digesting the diagnosis and getting your head around it, a few months from now you will no longer even think about it. I'm not in the most helpful mood tonight, sorry about that, but I just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know you are not alone, we're here for you.
I Just Tested Poz / Well... Here I am.
« Last post by Myrikal on Today at 02:16:51 pm »
Tested positive April 21rst, 2024. Four days before my 53rd birthday. What a present!  I was in a relationship for a little over a year or atleast was led to believe I was. Funny thing was I didn't start having unprotected sex until the last four to five months of the relationship. Still, as angry as I am with him, I am even more angry at myself. I actually started feeling muscles aches and fatigue and knew that something was awfully wrong. My viral load was 105000 and CD4 count was 400. I spent the first week crying, unsure what to do. I started Dovato the day after my diagnosis. I am now on day twenty nine of Dovato. No more muscle aches and no more fatigue. I did have some pretty awful side effects, mostly fever but they have completely subsided and I feel much better. Atleast physically I feel better but mentally, I am not ok. I have not told my family, don't know how to. I am afraid they will not take it very well. I have told a couple of my very best friends. They were and are my rock through all of this so far. My support system is small and I am just afraid that now, I will never find any one to love me like this. Yeah... I know stupid feeling but I am almost kind of ashamed of myself. I never thought for one second that this was going to be the way I finished my life.
Questions About Treatment & Side Effects / Extra Biktarvy
« Last post by whetstonedoug on Today at 01:31:00 pm »
Hey all.  My numbers weren't improving and my doc switched my regimen recently from Biktarvy.  I've always tried to keep an extra bottle or three of my medications for when we travel, and now I have more than one bottle of this expensive medication.
Can anyone point me to someplace in Southern Arizona where I could donate this medication?  I'm not sure if this sort of post is allowed on Poz... apologies if I'm 'breaking the law'.
Living With HIV / Re: Bariatric / Weight-loss Surgery for HIV Patients
« Last post by hylas on Today at 11:55:31 am »
I had bariatric surgery about 3 years ago.   At my consultation, I shared my status with the surgeon who didn't bat an eye.  He noted it on the file and never mentioned it again.   I also consulted my HIV doc.   No changes were made to my Dovato regime.    I skipped one dose the day of my surgery but took a dose the next morning when I woke up in the hospital for my single day stay.   Note that I did have to bring my own Dovato because the hospital didn't stock it regularly.    I've had no blips in my viral load or changes to my CD4.   What did happen was that I lost 124 pounds, am no longer pre-diabetic and was able to cut out my statin for high cholesterol and retired my sleep apnia mask as well.    I did have to take Ursodiol for 6 months post surgery and was careful to not take my bariatric vitamins at the same time as my Dovato. Oh, and sex, dating, etc.... 1000% better now....   
Estoy infectado? / Re: Paco
« Last post by Chuchito on Today at 11:28:17 am »
Gracias por tu respuesta jim ... Saludos
« Last post by Jim Allen on Today at 11:05:55 am »
La abstinencia es una idea terrible, nunca ha funcionado. Al final la gente tendrá relaciones sexuales, esto es perfectamente normal y saludable, solo usa condón, simple.
« Last post by Chuchito on Today at 10:57:46 am »
Gracias, pienso que más que nada es la conciencia por la infidelidad.. creo que la mejor prevención es la abstinencia

Saludos y saludos!!
Do I Have HIV? / Re: Sexual acts/symptoms/nervous/HIV
« Last post by Jim Allen on Today at 10:47:17 am »
Hiya.

Several factors can play a role, such as STI status, stage of HIV infection/viral load, tearing or not, etc, etc and some of these factors could increase the odds by 25-40%. In short, nobody can calculate your individual odds of acquiring HIV from this incident.

Being a receptive partner would also have an increased risk but you were the insertive partner. Generally speaking, HIV is difficult to pass on compared to other STIs but it does happen and we still see 1.3 million new cases [1.0 million–1.7 million] per year globally.

There is not much more we can do for you here, you had an HIV risk, a real-world one and should test when due.

You had condomless intercourse twice and are now stressing about it, next time use condoms and then you will not have to stress.

P.S. None of your symptoms are HIV specific, see your healthcare provider and get whatever is making you sick treated.
« Last post by Tonny2 on Today at 10:22:05 am »

ojo.         Hola!… Siempre y cuando tu pajarito esté cubierto con un condón intacto, estás protegido y qué bueno que te proteges porque además de protegerte tú proteges a tu pareja. Si estás preocupado por la caducidad del condón, trata de llevar tus propios condones para que no estés en esta situación de angustia y preocupación. Sigue la instrucciones del moderador, protegerte mejor y proteger a otros… Sigue adelante con tu vida y sigue llevando tu gorrito si te vas de fiesta.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.