Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:29:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 704
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 696
Total: 697

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Some questions  (Read 5508 times)

Offline BM

Some questions
« on: September 16, 2008, 10:42:02 am »
Hello everyone.

I was diagnosed positive at the start of July this year after I became ill with PCP. My stats were CD4 78 (7%), VL 190,483. I wasn't started on meds until a month later (until the PCP cleared up), when my stats were CD4 37 (6%), VL 1,108,190. After a month on Kivexa and Viramune, my CD4 is now 120. I don't know what the percentage and VL are yet. Does this represent an optimal response to this regimen? Is such a gain in CD4 indicative of a good prognosis? I am also taking Dapsone, Omeprazole and Cetirazine, and using Nizoral shampoo.

Thanks for any help,
Brian

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Some questions
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 10:50:44 am »
You've tripled your cd4 count in one month, so yeah that's good progress.  I'm not sure how one can say anything is "optimal" though without knowing your viral load response, which is the more important number in evaluating how quickly your HIV medication is working.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BM

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 10:31:41 am »
Thanks for your reply.

My doctor told me that I could dose my Viramune (Nevirapine) by taking one tablet every twelve hours or by taking two tablets every twenty-four hours. I've been using the latter, yet I've read here (and elsewhere) that this is associated with higher rates of virological failure. Do you think it might be worth switching to the other dosing schedule? I'm not due to visit my doctor for another fortnight.

Sorry if anything I ask is obvious: I'm still trying take it all in.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2008, 12:43:28 pm »
BM, it's been around a decade since I was last on viramune so I'll just go by what's written here:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/Viramune_1616.shtml

I see you're in Scotland, but that says the US FDA has not approved that dosing you're referring to, and my conservative side on such issues would make me go with the twice daily route just to be on the safe side.  This NNRTI class is very susceptible to cross resistance, meaning if you screw it up you screw up the entire class.  I'm borderline resistant to this class myself because viral replication was never fully suppressed when I was on it 12 years ago, and consequently when they switched me to Sustiva 3 years later that didn't work either.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2008, 07:59:42 pm »
My doctor told me that I could dose my Viramune (Nevirapine) by taking one tablet every twelve hours or by taking two tablets every twenty-four hours.

Sorry if anything I ask is obvious: I'm still trying take it all in.

Thanks,
Brian

Hi There,

I've been on Viramune since October of 2003. Somewhere early in 2004, my doctor also suggested that I could take both Viramunes together. I did try that for a while, but I felt that both together was a little intense for me, so I went back to one Viramune every 12 hours. Myself, I like this way better.

I was also taking Dapsone at the same time.  I had a similar situation to yours. I also started out with a low  t-cell count of 16 , percentage around 4% and a 500,000 viral load. Was also on Zithromax from October of 2003 to somewhere I believe around March or April of 2004. I would have to look at my journal, to verify that.

Let us know when you get your Viral load and percentage, Otherwise, you are making improvements. Things will take time. I've been there !! You just hang in there !

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 07:32:57 pm »
 :) Thanks, I'll post my numbers when I get them.

Just out of interest, is there a 'most likely' replacement if my current Kivexa/Viramune combination should fail? Do you think I'd be allowed to go on an Isentress-based regimen, bypassing protease inhibitors?

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:44:36 am »
:) Thanks, I'll post my numbers when I get them.

Just out of interest, is there a 'most likely' replacement if my current Kivexa/Viramune combination should fail? Do you think I'd be allowed to go on an Isentress-based regimen, bypassing protease inhibitors?

Hello Brian,

I really don't know the answer to that.  When it comes to different mutations and resistance issues, I am really at this point not up on that. 23 years of living with this, and there is a great deal I don't know. I will leave that to the doctor if/when the time comes.  The main thing is getting the viral load to undetectable and to maintain it.

Try not to put the cart before the horse. Your on very good medications. Kivexa, Is the same ( I believe ) as Epzicom , which I am also on( besides the Viramune) pretty much since the beginning.

Hang tough----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 07:18:50 am »
I just got my test results back. The day I started my meds, my CD4 was 37 (6%), and VL was 1,108,190. After a month, the numbers are CD4 122 (8%), VL 118,484. My doctor says the CD4 gain is great, but I didn't really know how to read her reaction to the viral load decrease; I suspect she thinks it could have been greater.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 08:00:25 am »
Hello !,

I think you've made great progress in reducing your Viral load. You went down almost 90% in viral load over the past month ! You've also had a nice increase your t-cell counts, and 2% increase in percentage. Your heading in the right direction.

See this :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/WhenToSwitch_4766.shtml

If your viral load is not lower than 400 after 24 weeks (six months) of starting therapy. An early way to tell if a drug regimen is being effective is to look for a 90% drop in viral load between 2 to 8 weeks after starting therapy. For example, if your viral load starts off at 50,000 and drops to 5,000 after 8 weeks, chances are good that your viral load will be less than 400 after six months of treatment

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BM

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2008, 08:21:19 am »
Hi Ray. I'm certainly very pleased with the results, I'm now also beginning to develop a sense of how treatment will progress. I had reasoned that because the drugs interfere with viral replication and because the "lifespan" of each viral particle is less than a few days, I should get to undetectable quite quickly! Maybe that's how it works on paper!

I have arranged to get my test results when they're ready (instead of waiting a month till my next appointment). The result I posted today is of last month's test, so I should be able to post the results of today's test before a month has passed.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2008, 06:19:23 pm »

Conservatively, and based on a resistance test, the next logical nad best supported by research choice would be aorganised around a boosted PI.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline BM

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 11:13:31 am »
Latest labs, after two months' treatment:

CD4 89 (6%), VL 90,231

Slightly confusing...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.