Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:13:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 338
Total: 338

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: collodial silver a natural antiviral?  (Read 26967 times)

Offline midland moe

collodial silver a natural antiviral?
« on: May 02, 2008, 06:19:12 am »
 ??? Please dont attack me for this post, it is put up out of a LACK of knowledge and a desire to learn more about my condition. I know people who rave about collodial silver and its medicinal properties...killing bacteria and virus in the body and that bacteria and virus cannot become resistant to silver. I havent read anywhere that it would or could help with HIV, but am just wondering aloud if anyone here knows any info or has read anything about the possibilities of collodial silver if not to help with HIV then to prevent opportunistic illnesses much the way taking antibiotics as a prophylactic when t4 cells are low... :-\
Diagnosed + 4/15/08               VL 570,000  cd4  85
started ATRIPLA 7/20/08         VL 301,757  cd4  45
8/22/08                                 VL       171  cd4  185
11/25/08    undetectable                           cd4  371

03/30/09    undetectable                           cd4  464
07/07/09    undetectable                           cd4  419
12/04/09    undetectable                           cd4  534
        cd4 % 20
04/09/10 undetectable                                cd4  667
         cd4%  22.1
07/16/10   undetectable                              cd4  573
         cd4%  23.8
03/25/11   undetectable                              cd4  655
         cd4%  29.4

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
Re: collodial silver a natural antiviral?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 06:42:37 am »
Hi

As far as I'm aware there really is no scientific evidence that supports Collodial Silver is good for HIV..it's certainly not something I would use.

I don't know that much about CS but I'm pretty sure it has never been used to prevent OI's..but I could be wrong.

Jan

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 06:57:05 am »
colloidal silver can turn you blue.  yes, BLUE.  permanently.  i'm not coming down on you, just telling you to google image it and see what you get. 

it ain't pretty, and it ain't worth the risk (not in my opinion).
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline hartiepie

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 07:03:55 am »
I use this site for several things and found this for you to consider:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/PhonyAds/silverad.html

Also, millions of people around the world have HIV, so any systems that "works" would have high visibility. Right now HAART is what is shown to suppress HIV etc.

Offline tash08

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:45:34 pm »
There is no clear scientific background behind it, and yes colloidal silver can turn you blue there was this guy on Oprah his skin turned blue lol :). He looked like a Smurf, the condition is called Argyria.
01/04/06-HIV-
03/09/06-HIV+
05/07-Atripla
04/01/10 CD4-681, VL-UD
07/10/10 CD4-450, VL-UD
10/10/10 CD4-473, VL-UD
01/21/11 cd4-522, VL-UD
05/02/11 CD4-638, VL-UD <20 copies Hell yeah!
08/3/12 CD4-806, VL-UD

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 08:08:27 pm »
On the list of things I recall hearing over the years as a cure to HIV colloidal silver is one of them.
The only other one I can remember right now being hawked as a cure was Noni juice.

There will always someone out there who has no problem preying on desperate people in order to make a profit.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 04:30:07 pm »
Hey Moe,

I remember a friend of mine touting colloidal silver as a remedy for just about anything that ails you.

Unfortunately, as with most of these too-good-to-be-true treatments, it doesn't really do much of anything to help - especially not with HIV.

Here is a quick bit of anecdotal info from someone who took it.

http://www.together.net/~rjstan/rose1.html

As someone already said, at this time the only scientifically proven treatment for HIV is ARV therapy, commonly called HAART.

That doesn't mean that other things might not help keep you healthy, such as a good multivitamin, but be wary of snake oil salesmen.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline draco

• I'm a real Monet... or is it Magritte?
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 04:45:54 pm »
Colloidal silver was used before the days of antibiotics and other drugs to combat pathogens attacking the good body.  Whether it was ever effective I don't know but in the almost 30 years of the HIV/AIDS epidemic it has proven to have no effect whatsoever against HIV.  Turning blue (argyria) isn't pretty:

Guess which person took colloidal silver?

I suppose colloidal silver could have a prophylactic effect since I suspect blue people have fewer sexual encounters than non-blue people, but I have no research to back up this hypothesis.

Drac

Seadickrun

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 11:39:09 am »
Colloidal silver only works against single celled organisms and was used as an antibiotic drug until 1938. Since antibiotics have no effect on viruses, it stands to reason that colloidal silver would have no effect on HIV or other viral infections. You should NOT use it orally if taking antibiotics or if pregnant.  Argyria is extremely rare (11 cases have been reported) and each case I have read about involved ridiculous amounts of silver.  I spent 20 years in a dark room sticking my hands in fixer (full of silver) five days a week and no blue here:)  Bret Weston ended up with black fingernails in his later years but that was after 60-70 years of heavy exposure to silver and selenium products and he lived to be 82 years old.

I have been thinking about making my own but 1) I used to work in a deionized water conditioning company making d.i. water and installing systems for places like McDonnel-Douglas at NASA, hospital kidney centers, Hawaiian Tropic, etc. and 2) I used to work in a college chemistry lab and am comfortable testing water for ppm.  One has no way of knowing the true content of colloidal silver from any off-the-shelf bottle since the FDA does not regulate it other than to require disclaimers. Many people use the internet described production method involving batteries but again, the ppm widely fluctuates.

I have read of many anecdotal claims of the benefits of colloidal silver.  And for that matter, I personally know three people who were "healed" of longterm MS after receiving prayer from a Pentecostal preacher. Would I say that prayer heals MS?? HELL no, but I still know three people that it worked for:)

Offline BlkRedBonenla

• My MySpace Page
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:15:01 am »

I suppose colloidal silver could have a prophylactic effect since I suspect blue people have fewer sexual encounters than non-blue people, but I have no research to back up this hypothesis.

Drac

VERY ASTUTE!! VERY FUNNY ... Whole Foods here in Long Beach has a warning sign next to the CS. They are selling it due to demand [it says] but also say it is dangerous. I think they should just take it off the shelves. They won't sell shark cartilage because it encourages killing sharks.

My nutritionist suggested I use the stuff a few years ago. I bought it and used it maybe two or three times. Didn't trust it. My GUT said: NO.
- cd4 20 2/07 & 50K VL

**** 3/07 started ATRIPLA *******
- cd4 70 5/07 & Undetectable VL
- cd4 218 11/07 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 297 3/08 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439 1/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 436 4/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 442 8/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 512 11/09 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 531 2/10 & Undetectable VL
-cd4 439??? 6/10 & Undetectable VL ...

"A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, but some minds can only handle a little." - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Scotian

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 08:14:22 pm »
I have used colloidal silver.  I would use it if I felt a sore throat coming on/or had a sore throat. I would gargle with about 1 tablespoon. Sore throat was gone within 24 hours. Did it work? Power of suggestion? Did the sore throat just run its course? I dunno...all I know the sore throat was gone without taking any drugs.
I have not used it since my HIV diagnosis last year and going on meds in Sept '08.
As someone has already pointed out re: turning blue---it's extremely rare and only after ingesting HUGE amounts.
As a very radical natural health friend of mine would suggest. The only reason it is not on the market  and millions being spent on research  is because it is not patenable.  ie  the big pharmaceutical companies couldn't make any money off it--even if it was 'scientifically' proven benficial. Even with something as minor as clearing a sore throat.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 08:49:06 pm »
As a very radical natural health friend of mine would suggest. The only reason it is not on the market  and millions being spent on research  is because it is not patenable.  ie  the big pharmaceutical companies couldn't make any money off it--even if it was 'scientifically' proven benficial. Even with something as minor as clearing a sore throat.

The argument that there are all these wonderful safe treatments out there that no one knows about because the drug companies cannot patent them has always seemed rather precarious:

First, the largest funder of medical research in the US is the federal government.  Since it is also the funding source for Medicare and Medicaid it has every incentive to fund research into low cost safe and effective medicine.  And it does.  It has an active program looking into whether supplements offer low cost ways to improve health called the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine http://nccam.nih.gov/

Second, just because the basic compound is in the open market does not mean that a drug company could not combine it with other compounds and get a patent on the combined drug.  So even if the feds were uninterested in research, drug companies would have an interest in knowing what compounds are available for purposes of manufacturing multipurpose pills.

I treasure radical friends too, but when they start getting into the conspiracy theory stuff sometimes it seems they go for the decidedly improbable.

***Edited to add the following info from the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine regarding colloidal silver:

3. Do colloidal silver products work?
Reviews in the scientific literature on colloidal silver products have concluded that:

Silver has no known function in the body.
Silver is not an essential mineral supplement or a cure-all and should not be promoted as such.
Claims that there can be a "deficiency" of silver in the body and that such a deficiency can lead to disease are unfounded.
Claims made about the effectiveness of colloidal silver products for numerous diseases are unsupported scientifically.
Colloidal silver products can have serious side effects (discussed further below).
Laboratory analysis has shown that the amounts of silver in supplements vary greatly, which can pose risks to the consumer.

4. What are the risks of using these products?
Animal studies have shown that silver builds up in the tissues of the body. In humans, buildup of silver from colloidal silver can lead to a side effect called argyria. It causes a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, other organs, deep tissues, nails, and gums. Argyria cannot be treated or reversed, and it is permanent. While it is not known how argyria occurs, it is thought that silver combines with protein, forming complexes that deposit in the skin and are processed by sunlight (as in traditional photography). Other side effects from using colloidal silver products may include neurologic problems (such as seizures), kidney damage, stomach distress, headaches, fatigue, and skin irritation. Colloidal silver may interfere with the body's absorption of the following drugs: penacillamine, quinolones, tetracyclines, and thyroxine.

http://nccam.nih.gov/health/silver/
« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 08:59:08 pm by Assurbanipal »
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 06:56:24 pm »
??? Please dont attack me for this post, it is put up out of a LACK of knowledge and a desire to learn more about my condition. I know people who rave about collodial silver and its medicinal properties...killing bacteria and virus in the body and that bacteria and virus cannot become resistant to silver. I havent read anywhere that it would or could help with HIV, but am just wondering aloud if anyone here knows any info or has read anything about the possibilities of collodial silver if not to help with HIV then to prevent opportunistic illnesses much the way taking antibiotics as a prophylactic when t4 cells are low... :-\

It doesn't take a lot of research to find that this supplement can have serious side effects. And as others pointed out, there is no evidence that it helps against HIV.

I like supplements, and I take a lot of them, but this is one that I was able to easily dismiss last month when somebody suggested it to me on the imminst.org forum.

Offline latino1986

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 06:47:04 pm »
HELLO EVERYONE....

COLLOIDAL SILVER BEING BAD FOR YOU? UMMM........

I READ BAD STUFF ABOUT IT, BUT I DO KNOW THAT IT WAS USED MANY YEARS AGO AS AN ANTIBIOTIC. SO IN A WAY IT DOES KINDA WORK DONT YOU THINK? BUT SINCE THE GOVERNMENT WASNT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY OUT OF IT, THERE CAME PENICILLIN. A NEW WONDERFULL ANTIBIOTIC? I DONT THINK SO.... WHY DO YOU THINK WE HAVE ALOT OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANT BACTERIA NOW DAYS? BECAUSE OF ATIBIOTICS... YEAH DOCTORS DO HELP YOU, BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH WHY? BECAUSE WITHOUT YOU GOING TO THEIR OFFICE EVERY WHATEVER YOU GO TO A DOCTOR. HOW ARE THEY GOING TO PAY THEIR CAR AND FEED THEIR KIDS? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THE PHARMACEUTICALS? THEY WOULD GO OUT OF BUSSINES. SO IF YOU KINDA THINK ABOUT IT THEY HAVE US IN A LOC DOWN!!!! THEY WANT TO BE IN CONTROL OF US. IM NOT BACKIN UP COLLOIDAL SILVER, BUT IF IT WAS USED AS AN ANTIBIOTIC BACK THEN, WHY ISNT EVERYONE BLUE? OF COARSE IF YOU INGEST A WHOLE LOT OF IT YOUR GONNA TURN GRAY. I REALLY DO THINK THERES OTHER WAYS IN LIFE.  THERES SOME PPL OUT THERE THAT HAVE NEVER TOUCHED MEDS, AND ARE STILL ALIVE. DONT LET DOCTORS AND THE "MEDIA" HAVE YOU THINKING SOMETHING ELSE.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 06:58:50 pm »
Latino1986 -- welcome to our forums.  Please don't use all CAPS -- it's considered a form of online yelling.

I'm confused by your post -- are you suggesting that HIV treatments are not saving lives?

Peter Staley

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 07:00:39 pm »
HELLO EVERYONE....

COLLOIDAL SILVER BEING BAD FOR YOU? UMMM........

I READ BAD STUFF ABOUT IT, BUT I DO KNOW THAT IT WAS USED MANY YEARS AGO AS AN ANTIBIOTIC. SO IN A WAY IT DOES KINDA WORK DONT YOU THINK?
BUT SINCE THE GOVERNMENT WASNT MAKING ENOUGH MONEY OUT OF IT, THERE CAME PENICILLIN. A NEW WONDERFULL ANTIBIOTIC? I DONT THINK SO.... WHY DO YOU THINK WE HAVE ALOT OF ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANT BACTERIA NOW DAYS? BECAUSE OF ATIBIOTICS... YEAH DOCTORS DO HELP YOU, BUT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO TELL YOU THE TRUTH WHY? BECAUSE WITHOUT YOU GOING TO THEIR OFFICE EVERY WHATEVER YOU GO TO A DOCTOR. HOW ARE THEY GOING TO PAY THEIR CAR AND FEED THEIR KIDS? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN TO THE PHARMACEUTICALS? THEY WOULD GO OUT OF BUSSINES. SO IF YOU KINDA THINK ABOUT IT THEY HAVE US IN A LOC DOWN!!!! THEY WANT TO BE IN CONTROL OF US. IM NOT BACKIN UP COLLOIDAL SILVER, BUT IF IT WAS USED AS AN ANTIBIOTIC BACK THEN, WHY ISNT EVERYONE BLUE? OF COARSE IF YOU INGEST A WHOLE LOT OF IT YOUR GONNA TURN GRAY. I REALLY DO THINK THERES OTHER WAYS IN LIFE.  THERES SOME PPL OUT THERE THAT HAVE NEVER TOUCHED MEDS, AND ARE STILL ALIVE. DONT LET DOCTORS AND THE "MEDIA" HAVE YOU THINKING SOMETHING ELSE.

Please stop shouting (caps). And enough with the conspiracy theories. You may want to compare life expectancies before and after penicilin became available and then get back to us. As for why you need a prescription for antibiotics, it's precisely so people don't abuse them and take them randomly for any condition and then develop resistance to them easily.

None of which has anything to do with colloidal silver :

From http://www.raysahelian.com/colloidalsilver.html

quote :

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is issuing a final rule establishing that all over-the-counter (OTC) drug products containing colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts for internal or external use are not generally recognized as safe and effective and are misbranded. FDA is issuing this final rule because many OTC drug products containing colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts are being marketed for numerous serious disease conditions and FDA is not aware of any substantial scientific evidence that supports the use of OTC colloidal silver ingredients or silver salts for these disease conditions.

Offline latino1986

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 09:47:28 pm »
Oh sorry about the caps...

I am not saying that the meds dont work...
Of coarse they do, but I do think theres other ways other than all those side effects the meds give you.

Please dont come out with the "FDA". The "FDA" doesent want you to know alot of stuff thats good for you. thats why they "BAN" stuff away and let everyone that a product is bad. theyre scared of running out of bussines. THATS WHY.
Just imagine how many ppl would lose their job if they where to discover that a product that costs  30,or 40 dollars could heal a person that has a disease that costs them thousands of dollars a year to get TREATED. The US only TREATS ppl they dont want to cure you. Thats why you keep going to the doctor all the time. So they can make cash out of you. So your Organization for example ADAP could pay all your meds and the pharmacy makes cash, then the government gets cash ect ect ect.... all the cash goes back to them after the pharmacies pay them their permit. Come on ppl....

Yeah the meds work, but i do believe that some other things out there might also work.
Like I said, Doctors want to have you in their power. So they can later on be in Beaverly Hills buying their wifes some diamonds. So do you really think theyre gonna tell you the truth? NOPE...

And again to anybody that my comments bother them.... SORRY, but you have to respect eachothers Opinions. Oh and if you work for a pharmacy or an HIV organization. I understand you are gonna be brain washed. Its ok.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 10:30:32 pm »

Google long and deep enough and you will find some sort of literature about colodial silver and hiv. You'll find hydrogen peroxide and HIV. You'll find monkey spirit exorcism and HIV.  Your HAART treatment knocked your HIV to undetectable. I think your issue/worry now, prompting this post, is low CD4 but im sure people may reassure you these will rise.   
In the meantime, please don't turn into a blue smurf. Also, if you are really into complementary and esoteric treatments - include your ID in such discussions and find really experienced esoteric practitioners who will honestly dialogue with your "western" ID.
Best of luck
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 10:47:49 pm »
Oh sorry about the caps...

I am not saying that the meds dont work...
Of coarse they do, but I do think theres other ways other than all those side effects the meds give you.

Other ways such as what ? Getting other serious documented side effects from taking colloidal silver, and not deriving any proven benefit from it ?

Please dont come out with the "FDA". The "FDA" doesent want you to know alot of stuff thats good for you. thats why they "BAN" stuff away and let everyone that a product is bad. theyre scared of running out of bussines. THATS WHY.

Just imagine how many ppl would lose their job if they where to discover that a product that costs  30,or 40 dollars could heal a person that has a disease that costs them thousands of dollars a year to get TREATED. The US only TREATS ppl they dont want to cure you. Thats why you keep going to the doctor all the time. So they can make cash out of you. So your Organization for example ADAP could pay all your meds and the pharmacy makes cash, then the government gets cash ect ect ect.... all the cash goes back to them after the pharmacies pay them their permit. Come on ppl....

Just more conspiracy theory.

Yeah the meds work, but i do believe that some other things out there might also work.

What other things are you referring to that might also work ? And why should anyone take them in place of things that are proven to work (HAART medications) ?

Like I said, Doctors want to have you in their power. So they can later on be in Beaverly Hills buying their wifes some diamonds. So do you really think theyre gonna tell you the truth? NOPE...

And again to anybody that my comments bother them.... SORRY, but you have to respect eachothers Opinions. Oh and if you work for a pharmacy or an HIV organization. I understand you are gonna be brain washed. Its ok.

Just more conspiracy theory. If you want me to respect your opinions then you'll need to provide some facts to back them up.

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 12:44:03 pm »

Latino, I congratulate you on your scepticism and critical attitude and very anti-capitalistic opinions. However, it seems to me that you have a fair amount of reading and talking to older folks to do - if 1986 is your birth date then you are so young -- and eventually you could see things with a deeper multifaceted perspective.   

HIV has been around for decades and for decades people tried everything under the sun to heal themselves - cheap to very expensive, scientifically recommended to inspired by the wildest esoteric beliefs.  Yes, if 40 dollar cures were available, it would change the "business" of HIV, but alas, nobody ever found the 40 dollar cure and millions tried, all over the world. Not saying it won't happen in the future, who knows, maybe they'll figure out its table salt mixed with pomegranate juice, who knows. Til then, hundred of thousands of scientists including men and WOMEN doctors, do what they can with the medicine available and continue to improve proven treatment.

I had a bf in the 80s who as dying of HIV/AIDS and he was extremely skeptical of western medicine's ability to help him. And he was correct because it couldn't at the time.

These days, "alternativists" do not the right to malign the medical profession and pharmaceutical industry "whole hog" - saying the only motivation is greed and self interest on their part. That's a cheap shot. It is an insult to people's professionalism.  Alternativists lost this right when the west/science came up with the goods - HAART.

Keep your critical stance. Bravo!  But these days, why not take some shots at the Wall Street investment banking VIPs.  Now there is some pure narcissism and greed.  Talk about using professional gains for stupid luxuries with no care for how the money was made? 

Give the well-paid doctors some slack.  So far they have been kind and human to me, as I am sure they are to millions of others.

If you really want to continue with a gad-fly (critical) position in the HIV epidemic, why not join groups that fight for universal access to medicine that does work, join a foundation or NGO that works in that area, or go to graduate school in biochemistry and fight for funding for research on alternative medicines?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:55:43 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 02:03:56 pm »
Hi my Name is Frederick with GNP+USA nice to meet all of you,
I Enjoyed the posting  and great information and do not know much about supplements for I get mind packaged and trust them and have worked with my HIV dilemma for some years, however do understand pieces of complimentary supplements in my studies. 
I think the answer to some of our questions would be for the American People to Advocate for more research and studying concerning natural treatments or at least equal to creating new RX for a patient for the prevention era is upon us.   I also think we will see more Bio-tech start up companies and Pharmaceutical groups going into natural schemes to create new RX drugs
I was reading about a new drug to lower cholesterol and the main selling point of the prescription was Omega-3 and then a Pharmacy group add a  man made  substance or chemical chain to the Omega-3 pill and got the FDA to see it as a RX and then set up their advertising machine and sales folks to educate the doctors to write the prescription, for most Docs get most of the post education on drugs from Pharmacy Companies
Once the doctor is educated or brief on this pill the conversation with the Doctor and Patient may go some like this with Doctors  saying “ Patient I have a great new pill to offer you that  just came out to lower your Cholesterol, for the studies show great responses and let me give you a FREE sample.  The patient may say” Thank you Doctor for the free sample and thinks to his or her self  wow, what a nice person he or she  is and cannot wait to my next visit, for I trust him or her so much with my life. Then at the next visit to the Doctor see the same patient and gets his or her lab report   and  this Doc might state” wow, your Cholesterol has gone down and since I prove to you that this new pill works and give you free samples, then let me write you a prescription for this new exciting drug, for we need to keep this Cholesterol down to keep you from having a heart attack or having to have open heart surgry to clean out you arteries, and you don’t want that patient do you? The patient may response,”No please give me the prescription.”  Then the patient goes to CVS or their computer to order it from Canada  to obtain  this life saving new drug to keep him or her from having a heart attack, and is one of the 50 million un-insurance and this new drug cost 300 dollars a month, but the patient finds the money, for she or he may think in a small voice to them self . “The doctors knows what he is doing and I must keep this treatment going, for he is licensed and has studies to prove his  intent that this new drug I must have to stay healthy and live long.    And the scheme continues for some uneducated patients will only get a scrip for a 3 months’ supply of the new drug and then compelled to return to the Doctor for a new prescription, for the Doctor’s policy for some people is not to give a new supply  or scrip ,until a new billing or appointment is arranged in 3 month cycles.  But some folks that have the knowledge and power of communication with health professional (experts that get paid for their services or a person that is an expert that works for a consumer) would get a year’s prescription from their doctor or at least 6 months scrip.

I did want to make a point that dosages and what natural supplement to use or not to use might be the question in the future for research.  Let us  look at the new Drug Presita manufactured by a Johnson and Johnson company, which has a box warning or should have a big black box warning that  states this pill may cause drug induced HEP-C  or Hep B, whats up with this  new drug that most Docs are saying is great, but my cause drug induced Hep-C .. what the hell is  drug induced Hep-C  for is it like turning blue or I guess it is like turning yellow.  So the argument about side affect for natural or dosages concerning RX or natural is the same to me  and I believe the complimentary natural treatment options need more focus by us western thinkers and the FDA, at least equal resources as RX development , with the hopes to compliment each of the treatment options.

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA
Frederickgnp@aol.com

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2009, 03:10:18 pm »
To clarify, somewhat off-topic like but perhaps important to readers on/considering Prezista, the product information for this drug says (I quote):

"PREZISTA, together with Norvir ®, has rarely been observed to cause liver problems which may be life-threatening. It was not always clear if PREZISTA caused these liver problems because some patients had other illnesses or were taking other medicines. Your healthcare professional should do blood tests prior to initiating combination treatment including PREZISTA. If you have chronic hepatitis B or C infection [my emphasis], your healthcare professional should check your blood tests more often because you have an increased chance of developing liver problems."

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 10:19:09 am »

Thank you for clarifing the trade name of this new drug and I don not think an argument that points out that FDA drugs or natural remidies do have good points or bad points is off topic.  But lets look more at side effect of Prezita..

Hepatotoxicity
Drug-induced hepatitis (e.g., acute hepatitis, cytolytic hepatitis) has been reported with PREZISTA/rtv. During the clinical development program (N=3063), hepatitis has been reported in 0.5% of patients receiving combination therapy with PREZISTA/rtv. Patients with preexisting liver dysfunction, including chronic active hepatitis B or C, have an increased risk for liver function abnormalities including severe hepatic adverse events.

Post-marketing cases of liver injury, including some fatalities, have been reported. These have generally occurred in patients with advanced HIV-1 disease taking multiple concomitant medications, having co-morbidities including hepatitis B or C co-infection, and/or developing immune reconstitution syndrome. A causal relationship with PREZISTA/rtv therapy has not been established.

I think folks need more of the whole truth just not another sound bite from Johnson and Jonson and please folks if this new drug causes problem.. please call the FDA to report the out comes for I believe all FDA drugs need to be watched to make sure the claims are true for the future.

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 11:30:01 am »
Frederick,

Just for clarification for you and anyone else reading this thread, Prezista does NOT cause "drug induced Hepatitis B or C" as you claimed in reply #20.

The word hepatitis simply means inflammation of the liver. Drug induced hepatitis means drug-caused liver inflammation.

Hep B and Hep C are caused by viruses, NOT alcohol or drugs of any sort.

People who are hiv positive should be checked for hep B and vaccinated against it if you do not already have hep B antibodies.

People who are hiv positive should also be checked for hep C. Unfortunately, there is no vaccine for hep C.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 11:44:31 am »

I think folks need more of the whole truth just not another sound bite from Johnson and Jonson and please folks if this new drug causes problem.. please call the FDA to report the out comes for I believe all FDA drugs need to be watched to make sure the claims are true for the future.

Frederick, What you've posted shows that Prezista has been known to cause liver problems in people with pre-existing liver problems, or are on many other meds, or are dealing with immune reconstitution syndrome.

It says that A causal relationship with PREZISTA/rtv therapy has not been established and that means the majority of people who have taken Prezista have not had any liver problems.

It's one thing to warn people, but another thing to try to scare people when there's simply no need.

Taking an approved med that might  cause some side-effects, but has been proven to be effective against hiv, is totally different to taking some quack-cure, which shows NO EFFECTIVENESS against hiv but comes with serious side-effects. 

I'm all for "natural remedies", but only when they've been proven EFFECTIVE against hiv and are relatively safe. To my knowledge, there is no such thing to date.

There are some natural remedies that can help one cope with various side-effect from either hiv infection itself, or from the meds, but there is no natural remedy which combats hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline FrederickGNP+USA

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2009, 02:19:00 pm »
Ann,

I understand you thinking, however if you look at the side effects on this drug a rash can accure too, however if you research the rash concept it is not just a noma rash for it is one  that takes over you whole body and is deadly.  I not tring to scare people just bring the truth to the discussion and the need to do more research in natural remedies and not just stick one head in the sand to beleive all the sciience for my faith is not in the science .. Thank God.

I like to let you know I had a friend on a HIV Meds where one of her meds had a very big black box warning to state that if the kidney levels increase take them off this med.  Well Ann my friends kidney levels increase her HIV doctor with the Magic Johnson Clinic in Jacksonville Florida missed the indicators in her Labs , after prescribing her 2 Z pack for alergies and then she ended up in the hospital where the Doc in the hospital had no clues why her kidney was failing ( you see this local HIV doc was out of town and had no back up Doc with knowledge)  The hospital kept giving here the HIV med that clearly had do not adminisrate it creacton is elevated.  She Died of Kidney faliure some weel later.

I is good to know the truth about any treatment options.

Frederick Wright
GNP+USA

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2009, 10:37:46 am »
The best advice that I've received from my ID doctor is, "Do Not take any vitamins or supplements unless I tell you that you need them." Who knows better if I'm lacking something than my ID doctor when the doctor gets the lab tests back after every lab draw? There are too many supplements that can counter-act HAART medications, let alone over dosing your body on certain vitamins. Leave it up to your ID doctor to make those decisions.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2009, 06:06:07 pm »

I know many people who've had a real crap time on particular ARVs but it don't mean that's true for everyone -- it's a risk/benefit choice.

Freddie, admit it, you didn't read the label proper like

Everyone else, what Ann and I said please

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline planonstaying

• Hiv is the FOX,tcells the rabbit, CALL the HOUNDS!
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2009, 07:27:58 am »
I am quite sure ingesting a heavy metal is a bad treatment choice
If someone tells you  potential consequences of a behavior  it  doesn't  mean they jude you or mit    they may just give a shit about you

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 03:52:22 am »
I am quite sure ingesting a heavy metal is a bad treatment choice

Well, that depends on which ones. There are some heavy metals which are essential to life, in trace levels, eg. iron, cobalt, copper, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc . See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metals . Colloidal silver isn't an essential one, and as previously mentioned, is actually toxic.

Offline fearless

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2009, 11:54:37 pm »
works great on warts for me though... just saying.

ps silver is not generally considered a heavy metal - it's a transitional metal.

While not jumping on the bandwagon I feel some facts should be brought to the table about silver and its salts.

To suggest that silver has no beneficial properties is ludicrous. Silver salts continue to be used for their antiseptic properties, particularly silver nitrate which is used as an antiseptic. Silver salts may also be used as a disinfectant in the water supply, on chicken farms and in other industries requiring the use of antiseptics. Silver is in widespread use in bandages to assist wound healing. And, low and behold silver is approved as a food additive, as a food colouring (E174)

Silver ions and silver compounds do show a toxic effect on some bacteria, viruses, algae and fungi. It is well established that silver nitrate is effective against e-coli, for example. But so do the heavy metals like like lead or mercury - silver is a lot less toxic than either of these two heavy metals.

Personally, I wouldn't be swallowing gallons (or even small amounts) of silver ions (colloidal silver) but i have no issue with gargling it for sore throats, and applying it topically for cuts and (as I said) warts.

As others have said, however, it has no proven use against HIV or to prevent opportunistic infections.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 12:36:12 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2009, 04:18:40 am »
um, where would one even get silver to put on wart?

Can't believe there is life in this thread but hey, learn something new everyday

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.