Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:41:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 343
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez  (Read 42739 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez
« on: April 29, 2010, 09:04:37 pm »
Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez

(Happy Earth Monty!!!)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100429/ap_on_bi_ge/us_louisiana_oil_rig_explosion_282

By CAIN BURDEAU and HOLBROOK MOHR, Associated Press Writers Cain Burdeau And Holbrook Mohr, Associated Press Writers – 1 hr 48 mins ago
VENICE, La. – An oil spill that threatened to eclipse even the Exxon Valdez disaster spread out of control and drifted inexorably toward the Gulf Coast on Thursday as fishermen rushed to scoop up shrimp and crews spread floating barriers around marshes.

The spill was both bigger and closer than imagined — five times larger than first estimated, with the leading edge just three miles from the Louisiana shore. Authorities said it could reach the Mississippi River delta by Thursday night.

"It is of grave concern," David Kennedy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, told The Associated Press. "I am frightened. This is a very, very big thing. And the efforts that are going to be required to do anything about it, especially if it continues on, are just mind-boggling."

The oil slick could become the nation's worst environmental disaster in decades, threatening hundreds of species of fish, birds and other wildlife along the Gulf Coast, one of the world's richest seafood grounds, teeming with shrimp, oysters and other marine life.

The leak from the ocean floor proved to be far bigger than initially reported, contributing to a growing sense among many in Louisiana that the government failed them again, just as it did during Hurricane Katrina. President Barack Obama dispatched Cabinet officials to deal with the crisis.

Cade Thomas, a fishing guide in Venice, worried that his livelihood will be destroyed. He said he did not know whether to blame the Coast Guard, the federal government or oil company BP PLC.

"They lied to us. They came out and said it was leaking 1,000 barrels when I think they knew it was more. And they weren't proactive," he said. "As soon as it blew up, they should have started wrapping it with booms."

The Coast Guard worked with BP, which operated the oil rig that exploded and sank last week, to deploy floating booms, skimmers and chemical dispersants, and set controlled fires to burn the oil off the water's surface.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 09:06:53 pm by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline alliance

• hmmmm. . .
Re: Gulf Coast oil spill could eclipse Exxon Valdez
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:00:45 pm »
I want to see accountability and justice for this crap. Not just a corporation paying a fine. Someone should go to jail for this. Happy Earth Day!
"The influence of each human being on others in this life is a kind of immortality."
10/10/12   CD4=378  %=32   VL=UD
5/10/12     CD4=426  %=32  VL=UD
11/15/11   CD4=296  %=29  VL=UD(20)
6/15/11     CD4=345  %=29  VL=UD(38)
3/15/11     CD4=317  %=31  VL=UD
12/1/10     CD4=315  %=28  VL=UD
8/11/10     CD4=250  %=25  VL=UD
6/10/10     CD4=380  %=24  VL=UD
3/4/10       CD4=340  %=22   VL=UD
1/11/10     CD4=312  %=22   VL =130
11/30/09   CD4=228  %=19  VL=1726
11/20/09    started atripla
10/15/09   CD4=281  %=18   VL=85,000

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 11:24:06 pm »
Just like the coal mining industry, they know it is cheaper to pay fines than fix problems and safety.  Do ya think Republicans will be saying "Drill Baby Drill" anytime soon?  Florida has fought to keep oil rigs away from its shores.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 03:19:24 am »
Well...  you'll have to send our "regulate-less" government to jail.  In 2003 they revoked a law requiring a backup device that would have been applicable in this case.  The law required acoustically activated shutoff valves... at a cost of $500K per well.  The drillers, typically, lobbied the US gov't to repeal the law and spread enough cash around to get it done. 

Goodbye white sand beaches of the southeastern gulf coast. 

At least my oil services company stock went up over 10% since they operate in the gulf and are probably raking in the $$$ assisting in this crisis.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 09:24:47 am »
Well...  you'll have to send our "regulate-less" government to jail.  In 2003 they revoked a law requiring a backup device that would have been applicable in this case.  The law required acoustically activated shutoff valves... at a cost of $500K per well.  The drillers, typically, lobbied the US gov't to repeal the law and spread enough cash around to get it done. 

Goodbye white sand beaches of the southeastern gulf coast. 

At least my oil services company stock went up over 10% since they operate in the gulf and are probably raking in the $$$ assisting in this crisis.

Fun Fact: Mississippi's coast doesn't have white sand naturally, they have to truck it in on a yearly basis!

But yeah this is just kind of ridiculous, I guess I don't understand why it's going to be so hard to cap this thing?  Also in another thread I stated that this wouldn't threaten the shores of Louisiana and Mississippi.  I'd like to apologize right now for being so utterly wrong, this thing isn't even on the way to being stopped and hit the Mississippi River delta last night.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 09:34:24 am »
The sad thing is no matter what they say the oil spill will never be cleaned up . Exxon never finished the job at Valdez and BP track record is just as bad .

Stealth edit LOL .  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 09:37:41 am by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 11:00:19 am »
This is a horrible situation, I cringe when I hear the reports.

And now the "3-Stooges" types that are running the cleanup have decided to just throw a match on the slick and "see what happens", I have images of the entire gulf ablaze and all the rednecks from floroda to Texas sitting on docks roasting mashmallows.

No I dont ahve a better solution.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 11:47:48 am »
I have images of the entire gulf ablaze and all the rednecks from floroda to Texas sitting on docks roasting mashmallows.

Will you be joining them?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:12:42 pm »

I could fix this thing with my Swiss Army knife and one gulp of air...
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:24:06 pm »

MacGruber?

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:34:54 pm »

Or you could use your dreads again  ;D
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »

JG: 1, Skeebo: 0

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »
Well...  you'll have to send our "regulate-less" government to jail.  In 2003 they revoked a law requiring a backup device that would have been applicable in this case.  The law required acoustically activated shutoff valves... at a cost of $500K per well.  The drillers, typically, lobbied the US gov't to repeal the law and spread enough cash around to get it done.  

Well if this is true, I do hope there is some accountability.

Also it seems like it HAS TO BE HUGE since the oil wont stop flowing for a very long time.

What gets me is they keep talking about the thousands of feet of booms they are floating.  Thousands?? of Feet?   This fucker is huge.  

Why not some massive deployment of army navy, US and British, to get that hole to stop blowing.  Its so deep.  Seems impossibly complicated to fix and brazenly greedy to not prevent.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 04:47:43 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 10:44:16 am »
The sad thing is no matter what they say the oil spill will never be cleaned up . Exxon never finished the job at Valdez and BP track record is just as bad .

Stealth edit LOL .  
That is a good point.  Now they can say since the environment is ruined, let's drill some more.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 11:15:56 am »

I think you got the clean up method confused with how I am going to fix this thing.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 02:17:55 am »
My partner's parents have a rental property in Gulf Shores, AL and just bought a winter home in southern Florida on the Gulf.  His dad is a big republican and was all for "Drill Baby Drill".  It is funny when stuff like this actually affects them, they change their tune.  Tonight, they were saying something needs to be done. 

His sister is a big repub, too.  She talked so bad about Clinton.  She had to take off work due to her son getting hurt and is now on FMLA.  She said she is so happy it was available for her to take. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 10:48:34 pm »
Look out Eastern Seaboard...Our problem could soon be your problem as well:

"The well is at the end of one branch of the Gulf Stream, the warm-water current that flows from the Gulf of Mexico to the North Atlantic. Several experts said that if the oil enters the stream, it would flow around the southern tip of Florida and up the eastern seaboard."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36897088/ns/us_news-environment/

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 10:55:52 pm »
Don't you just love multinational corporations?

link

Attorney General Troy King has asked BP to cease circulating settlement agreements among south Alabamians.Alabama Attorney General Troy King said tonight that he has told representatives of BP Plc. that they should stop circulating settlement agreements among coastal Alabamians.

The agreements, King said, essentially require that people give up the right to sue in exchange for payment of up to $5,000.

King said BP's efforts were particularly strong in Bayou La Batre.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:19 pm »

Scientist:  Oil could reach the "Loop Current" in a day :   :'(

http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2010/5/3/614351.html?title=Scientists:+Oil+could+reach+

Scientists: Oil could reach 'loop current' in a day
Monday, May 3, 2010

A scientist says oil could reach the loop current in a day, eventually reaching Florida's coast.

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) - Scientists say the Gulf oil spill could get into the what's called the Loop Current within a day, eventually carrying oil south along the Florida coast and into the Florida Keys.

Nick Shay, a physical oceanographer at the University of Miami Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science, said Monday once the oil enters the Loop Current, it likely will end up in the Keys and continue east into the Gulf Stream.

Shay says the oil could affect Florida's beaches, coral reefs, fisheries and ecosystem within a week.

He described the Loop Current as similar to a "conveyor belt," sweeping around the Gulf, through the Keys and right up the East Coast.

Shay says he cannot think of any scenario where the oil doesn't eventually reach the Florida Keys.
State of Emergency Extended

Florida Gov. Charlie Crist has extended the oil spill state of emergency for the state down to Sarasota County.

The declaration now covers the Gulf coast of the state from the Panhandle to Sarasota County.

Today's executive order adds Citrus, Hernando, Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough, Manatee and Sarasota counties to the declaration.

A state of emergency was issued for Franklin, Wakulla, Jefferson, Taylor, Dixie, Levy counties last week.

Meanwhile, officials expect another week of oil pouring from the seafloor.

Dead sea turtles have been washing ashore and a massive rust-colored slick continues to swell from an uncontrolled gusher spewing into the water.

"I've been in Pensacola and I am very, very concerned about this filth in the Gulf of Mexico," Crist said at a fundraiser for his U.S. Senate campaign Sunday night. "It's not a spill, it's a flow. Envision sort of an underground volcano of oil and it keeps spewing over 200,000 gallons every single day, if not more."
More Information

* How to volunteer with oil-affected wildlife
    * Florida braces for oil threatening its coastline
    * Oil could affect turtle nesting
    * Fishing ban put in place
    * Questions? Claims? Volunteer information? Call these numbers
    * Five possible solutions for containing the spill
    * Crist news conference commentsWatch Video
    * Clearwater Marine Aquarium response to spillWatch Video

BP PLC was preparing a system never tried before at such depths to siphon away the geyser of crude from a blown-out well a mile under Gulf of Mexico waters.

However, the plan to lower 74-ton, concrete-and-metal boxes being built to capture the oil and siphon it to a barge waiting at the surface will need at least another six to eight days to get it in place.

Crews continued to lay boom in what increasingly feels like a futile effort to slow down the spill, with all ideas to contain the flow failing so far.

Fishermen from the mouth of the Mississippi River to the Florida Panhandle got the news that more than 6,800 square miles of federal fishing areas were closed, fracturing their livelihood for at least 10 days and likely more just as the prime spring season was kicking in.

The slick also was precariously close to a key shipping lane that feeds goods and materials to the interior of the U.S. by the Mississippi River.

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2010, 07:40:35 am »
Move on, nothing to see here. Just a big bowl of chocolate milk nothing to be concerned about.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/03/mississippi-congressman-oil-chocolate/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 07:50:19 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline J.R.E.

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2010, 08:30:00 am »
If they can just put domes over such uncapped problems, WHY DIDNT THEY HAVE A FEW ON HAND already.

condoms condoms condoms

I have a fire extinguisher and smoke alarms in my apt. I have aquastop on my washing machine. I have condoms just in case.  

The arrogance over natural splendors is astonishing.  Supposedly, Kenya is one big continuous oil spill. The biggest oil spill know is a mammouth spill under Brooklyn NY - years and years of "what the fuck, we're making money who cares"
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 08:33:43 am by mecch »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2010, 08:49:18 am »
Supposedly, Kenya is one big continuous oil spill. The biggest oil spill know is a mammouth spill under Brooklyn NY - years and years of "what the fuck, we're making money who cares"

You're referring to the Newtown Creek oil spill on the border of Brooklyn and Queens.  It's a large spill dating from the late 70's and since it's in a dense urban area it's absurd that it's still not completely cleaned up.  Most New Yorkers aren't even aware of it existing.

But it's not one of the largest spills in the world by a long shot as the latest estimates put it at 30 million gallons, or three times the Exxon/Valdez spill (so yes, for the US it's one of the largest, but not the world)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_spill#Largest_oil_spills

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2010, 03:02:46 pm »

I do a lot of fishing in the Everglades and the 10,000 Islands located on the West Coast of Florida.  The effects of this spill is going to devastate the area for sure.  This will surely kill off much of the mangroves that play such a vital part of the ecosystem.  AS if all the over-development down here wasn't already enough, now this had to happen.

I would imagine, of course I may be wrong, that most of the cost associated with any kind of cleanup and/or fines would be passed along to us, the consumer.  So in essence the oil companies continuously pollute our waters, while making a profit, and we foot the bill.

This sucks

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2010, 03:06:28 pm »

I do a lot of fishing in the Everglades and the 10,000 Islands located on the West Coast of Florida.  The effects of this spill is going to devastate the area for sure.  This will surely kill off much of the mangroves that play such a vital part of the ecosystem.  AS if all the over-development down here wasn't already enough, now this had to happen.

I would imagine, of course I may be wrong, that most of the cost associated with any kind of cleanup and/or fines would be passed along to us, the consumer.  So in essence the oil companies continuously pollute our waters, while making a profit, and we foot the bill.

This sucks

Unfortunately I think you may be right.  The only recourse is to avoid buying anything petroleum based.  That includes all petrol based fuels and I think plastics are made from oil as well.  It's a conundrum.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2010, 05:06:08 pm »
This is what happens when you drill baby drill.  And barely 5 years since BP had a major explosion at their Texas refinery. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2010, 05:23:18 pm »
There go my ski holidays with my BP executive friends.  zut

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2010, 06:20:36 pm »
My partner's parents have a rental property in Gulf Shores, AL and just bought a winter home in southern Florida on the Gulf.  His dad is a big republican and was all for "Drill Baby Drill".  It is funny when stuff like this actually affects them, they change their tune.  Tonight, they were saying something needs to be done. 

His sister is a big repub, too.  She talked so bad about Clinton.  She had to take off work due to her son getting hurt and is now on FMLA.  She said she is so happy it was available for her to take. 

More than anything else, this is what pisses me off about many if not most Republicans. They cannot, are utterly incapable of seeing beyond their own noses. They are entitled and dismissive of the plights of others. Unemployment? Against the extension - until THEY lose a job. Drilling is dangerous? Absolutely NOT until a massive oil spill ruins their vacay - or their livelihood.

Ryan White? Don't fund it! Until THEIR Son/daughter/brother/sister gets HIV.

The short-sightedness is disgusting. And it is the very antithesis of the Christianity that so many wield like swords.

Disgusting.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2010, 10:06:27 pm »
Move on, nothing to see here. Just a big bowl of chocolate milk nothing to be concerned about.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/05/03/mississippi-congressman-oil-chocolate/

What a fuckin idiot that Congressman is.

I guess the dead Loggerhead Turtles washing up will be glad to know It's nothing to be concerned about.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/may/03/deepwater-horizon-oil-spill-turtle-deaths-soar

Aren't we supposed to be the stewards of Gods creatures? This is a damn shame and it breaks my heart to see pics of the dead and dying animals. It's just as if we went out there and slit all their throats.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2010, 11:35:57 pm »
Oil may be wreaking havoc deep beneath the Gulf
(the Gulf may become the Dead Sea)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100505/ap_on_bi_ge/us_gulf_oil_spill_150

By CAIN BURDEAU and HARRY R. WEBER, Associated Press Writers Cain Burdeau And Harry R. Weber, Associated Press Writers – Wed May 5, 7:04 pm ET
NEW ORLEANS – The oil you can't see could be as bad as the oil you can.

While people anxiously wait for the slick in the Gulf of Mexico to wash up along the coast, globules of oil are already falling to the bottom of the sea, where they threaten virtually every link in the ocean food chain, from plankton to fish that are on dinner tables everywhere.

"The threat to the deep-sea habitat is already a done deal — it is happening now," said Paul Montagna, a marine scientist at the Harte Research Institute for Gulf of Mexico Studies at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi.

Hail-size gobs of oil the consistency of tar or asphalt will roll around the bottom, while other bits will get trapped hundreds of feet below the surface and move with the current, said Robert S. Carney, a Louisiana State University oceanographer.

Oil has been gushing into the Gulf of Mexico at a rate of at least 200,000 gallons a day since an offshore drilling rig exploded last month and killed 11 people. On Wednesday, workers loaded a 100-ton, concrete-and-steel box the size of a four-story building onto a boat and hope to lower it to the bottom of the sea by week's end to capture some of the oil. Crews also set fires at the worst spots on the surface Wednesday to burn off oil.

Scientists say bacteria, plankton and other tiny, bottom-feeding creatures will consume oil, and will then be eaten by small fish, crabs and shrimp. They, in turn, will be eaten by bigger fish, such as red snapper, and marine mammals like dolphins.

The petroleum substances that concentrate in the sea creatures could kill them or render them unsafe for eating, scientists say.

"If the oil settles on the bottom, it will kill the smaller organisms like the copepods and small worms," Montagna said. "When we lose the forage, then you have an impact on the larger fish."

Making matters worse for the deep sea is the leaking well's location: It is near the continental shelf of the Gulf where a string of coral reefs flourishes. Coral is a living creature that excretes a hard calcium carbonate exoskeleton, and oil globs can kill it.

The reefs are colorful underwater metropolises of biodiversity, attracting sea sponges, crabs, fish, algae and octopus.

"In my mind, they are at least as sensitive to contamination to oil as coastal habitat," said James Cowan, an oceanographer at Louisiana State University. "They are in deeper water, so they are kind of out of sight, out of mind."

There are other important habitats in shallower waters, such as an ancient oyster shell reef off the Mississippi and Alabama coasts. It is a vital nursery ground for red snapper and habitat for sponges, soft corals and starfish.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:42:51 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline tokyodecadence

• A one room disco.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2010, 01:39:25 am »
BP should change their company slogan to

BP: Bringing oil to American shores.
[.Fodão.]

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 10:20:21 am »
BP should change their company slogan to

BP: Bringing oil to American shores.
lol

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 11:08:45 am »
This may be the only thing that stands between us and The Gulf of MExico turning into a 615 Sq Mile slush pit.

Fingers crossed.

Oil spill: Giant box nears sea bed
BP engineer 'worried' amid risks of explosion

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37008288/ns/us_news-environment/

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 03:15:35 pm »
I read that most other countries require the remote control capper that costs 500,000.  That its clearly a result of crappy congress giving concessions to rich corporations with no care for the consequences.  

This story makes me so sad, nervous, angry, scared, disgusted that I think I can't watch reports anymore in the evening. I just want to fast forward to the day the flow is stopped and scientists can assess the total damage.

Its hard to believe there will be justice served. How do you try the American government for such corruption???

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 04:25:08 pm »
I read that most other countries require the remote control capper that costs 500,000.  That its clearly a result of crappy congress giving concessions to rich corporations with no care for the consequences.  

As I understand it ( And I haven't checked it out)  This device was required under the Clinton administration.  Under Bush/Cheney , .... well now you know the rest of the story.

Keith Olbermann mentioned something about this the other night.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 04:34:20 pm »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 04:44:18 pm »

Drill Baby Drill : About 4 minutes into this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMlbhI5JMxU&feature=player_embedded#!

Ray
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 04:53:38 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 04:46:14 pm »

They're using hair clippings to protect our shores!! Check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/sf-based-group-gathers-hair-to-mop-up-oil-spill-19605449

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:51 pm »

As I understand it ( And I haven't checked it out)  This device was required under the Clinton administration.  Under Bush/Cheney , .... well now you know the rest of the story.

Keith Olbermann mentioned something about this the other night.

Ray

What about Obama? Was he not aware of the repeal of this device by Bush Cheney? If he was aware , why didnt he act when he came into office? I guess it jsut wasnt "important enough".
Clinton was the only one to have any sense out of the 3 administrations. There's blood on all their stinkin hands.

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 04:58:29 pm »
They're using hair clippings to protect our shores!! Check this out:

http://news.yahoo.com/video/us-15749625/sf-based-group-gathers-hair-to-mop-up-oil-spill-19605449

I'm sure they got the idea from you!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2010, 05:00:08 pm »

Offline mecch

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2010, 08:02:17 am »
You can't leave these mega industries to self regulate. 

How could Obama have been expected to know such minutia, by the way?  Congrees is crawling through his agenda to reinstate some consumer protection, environmental protection, and so on....

In a tangential but related story, an city government asbestos regularor / inspector OK thousands of buidlings and renovations in NYC and never inspected a one of them.

So we have a crisis in HUMAN ETHICS - capitalist industry can't self regulate because the profit motive at the top has warped the long-term view and the general benefit for society value.   But government officials can't regulate because they are baffoons.

I say the best shot is improving government and getting good solid regulation going on.

Otherwise Rome is buring and the USA's days are numbered.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2010, 01:59:36 pm »

How could Obama have been expected to know such minutia, by the way?  

Because he's the president and he is saddled with the job of protecting American lands no matter how minute the danger seemed on paper. Everyone, including Obama, knows that Bush/Cheney were in bed with the Energy/oil industry, Knowing this, it should have been higher than normal priority to isolate for review all r energy regualtions repealed or not acted upon by Bush/Cheney. Presidents have an infinite amount of minions to pour over the regulations that were reversed or repealed in the prior administration (which is typically one of the first things a president does after taking office).

However,
it seems like the above may be a mute point because if JRE is referring to a "Automatic BOP" (blowout preventer) that potentially was not required to be in place due to Bush/Cheney directives, then that's not the case with this particular well. It seems a BOP was in place here but failed due to the methane explosion, it further seems that this BOP had an automatic "Dead mans" switch that failed as well. Apaprently the only fully state of the art Automatic BOPS, which are acoustically operated,  are installed in wells off Norway and Brazil only. But even that type of BOP may not have worked in this incident.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/stories/050410dnbusblowout.4a8d19d.html

It seems more and more that the root cause of this incident will be an unknown/uncontrollable Methane Explosion, to which potentially no BOp would have been able to quell. However the juries still out on whether alarms BP had on the rig to notify of such arising situations were inoperative or disabled.

I guess we will know more in the coming weeks as more info about BOPS and potential BP faults versus purported Act of God scenario. Which brings up another point, I think no oil company shoudl be allowed to declare "act of God" when they are drilling one mile below sea. If you are going to drill in the ocean you should be able to predict all variables and have corresponding foolproof plans to mitigate these variables. Until science/industry has a foolproof way to vent/ dissipate methane we have no business drilling with our "fingers crossed".

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mecch

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2010, 04:59:23 pm »
Apaprently the only fully state of the art Automatic BOPS, which are acoustically operated,  are installed in wells off Norway and Brazil only. But even that type of BOP may not have worked in this incident.

Those are the ones I referred to.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2010, 09:26:42 pm »
"We all were sure we were going to die" Story from a survivor on that rig:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37033430/ns/us_news-the_new_york_times/?GT1=43001

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2010, 01:53:54 am »

That giant milk carton looking thing they worked on all last week didn't work.   >:( >:(

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2010, 10:50:41 am »

That giant milk carton looking thing they worked on all last week didn't work.   >:( >:(
Are you really surprise.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2010, 11:03:03 am »

Are you really surprise.

Do you mean right now, or do you mean yesterday? LOL

Offline mecch

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2010, 11:28:50 am »
Rachel Maddow reported how the workers were kept away from families and doctors until they signed waivers of all sorts.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2010, 11:12:38 am »
Rachel Maddow reported how the workers were kept away from families and doctors until they signed waivers of all sorts.
It can still be contested in court if found they signed under duress.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.