Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:00:26 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 187
Total: 188

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Started Complera This Morning  (Read 4418 times)

Offline jaybirdz

Started Complera This Morning
« on: January 25, 2013, 03:40:38 pm »
Ok, I'm not going to skip anything I need to tell you all, so I can get your answers.

I'm a 31 male been POZ since 2002 weighing 185lbs very nice football build. I've had my ups and downs with medications, but how I got diagnosed was out of the blue. I started to have really bad burning in my esophagus and when I burn just imagine someone pouring gasoline down your throat and lighting it on fire. I didn't know what was going on. I went to local Dr's and they gave me Carafate.....etc to much to add. This went on for quite some time. Around the 3 month period they did a scope and found 5 quarter size also in my esaphogus and 3 in my stomach. So, the Dr gave me pain medication and more Carafate. Pain, well it didn't help unless I ate 3 at a time, but still hurt BAD. So, 6 months later after nibbling on food here and there, but it hurt like hell and I couldn't even drink water. Let me go back to the 5th month when I thought I had bad Diarrhea it was lots of blood. I lost so much muscle mass I could barely walk, so I rush in the living room told my parents to get me to the hospital I just went to the bathroom and there is blood all in the toilet. So we go over the river to the University Emergency Room and told them what was wrong then went to triage the lady said why is you wearing close that don't fit you I said something is seriously wrong with me she knew right away. She weighed me, but first she asked about my weight before these problems I told her 185. Her face turned white cause when she weighed me I was 105lbs, she took me right in the emergency room said we have a patient that needs an IV & Pain medication right away. Well, they admitted me did every test possible, but the HIV test. They hooked me up to feeding tubes...etc! Couple days later a Dr comes in and ask me if I want to get tested for HIV cause if I do have it they can save my life I said "YES" Didn't have a clue who I got it from and I'm not going to go through the process to find out cause it's not worth the hassle. I just want my life back. Well, you know from what I wrote from above. So, anyways I been on all kinds of medication and I taking so many with my lining of the stomach and esophagus it started to damage them, so my counts would go up & down. Now, I'm glad they have one a day. I'm getting Complera but waiting for it in the mail. My counts back in October CD4-25/VL-66300. I know it's bad but when I can't take medication and never have an appetite it's hard, but I'm thankful I will have a chance to just take one pill. My Dr has me on Phenergan, Megace, Neurontin & Fluconazole. The Megace doesn't give me an appetite but it makes me feel I never ate anything. I would like to have an appetite and feel like I never ate anything...She won't stick me on Prednisone, but she did mention Marinol. Sorry this was so long but I never get a chance to open up to anyone. I'm really happy to get this off my chest and hopefully you all can reply with some great answers.

God Bless :)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: About to start Complera.....But!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 05:55:19 pm »
If you need a combo without a food restriction choose one, or choose one where the food restriction is minimal.

Saving your own life can involve a little pain.

Here's to the new 185lbs you

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline jaybirdz

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 12:49:29 am »
So what do you suggest?

Offline jaybirdz

Started Complera This Morning
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 12:58:44 pm »
So, I finally found the one a day pill, thanks goodness cause taken several pills with stomach problems and esophageal issues was terrible. As of right now my CD4:<20 & Viral Load: 66,000 range. I been off Medications for quite some time as you can tell by the counts, but that's do to insurance and what I said above. My breakfast was well over 400 calories. I'm also taken Megace 40mg once a day. It doesn't really give me an appetite to eat just anything, but when I do eat it feels like I never eaten anything, guess that's a plus. Would a supplement help gain weight with the Megace? I now weigh 140, but my original weight is 180. Any suggestions would help. Wish Me Luck!

Thanks! ;D

Offline Anqueetas

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 11:09:18 pm »
So what do you suggest?

You might want to try Atripla, you don't need food with it. Stribilid still require some food along with the pill. Other combo require you to take several pill. You can switch later when you feel like you can eat, Atripla have side effect and you might want to check that first.

Good luck to you and get well soon. :)
ARS, hospitalized for very high fever-July 2011
diagnosed HIV positive - October 16 2011
CD4 460 19.5% VL 49000 - late October 2011
CD4 625 19.5% VL 50030 - January 2012
CD4 369 19% VL 69000 - March 2012
Start Sustiva+ Truvada - April 17 2012
CD4 524 24.5% VL UD - August 22 2012
Switch to Nevirapine+Truvada
CD4 490 26% VL UD - November 2012
CD4 539 29% VL UD - February 2013
CD4 621 28% VL UD - May 2013

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 01:23:16 am »
You might want to try Atripla, you don't need food with it. Stribilid still require some food along with the pill. Other combo require you to take several pill. You can switch later when you feel like you can eat, Atripla have side effect and you might want to check that first.

Good luck to you and get well soon. :)

I'm on Stribild and I sometimes take it with a couple of oranges, or even an egg whites omelet, both of which are well under 150 calories.  So while Stribild does require some food with it, at least it wont cause all the mental and dream issues that Atripla does.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline jaybirdz

Re: Started Complera This Morning
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 02:24:52 pm »
can't get no assistance or insurance won't pay for Stribild. I can't take Atripla cause I have an allergy too it. Complera is doing great right now. Don't have no side effects at all.

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
Re: Started Complera This Morning
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48:10 pm »
can't get no assistance or insurance won't pay for Stribild. I can't take Atripla cause I have an allergy too it. Complera is doing great right now. Don't have no side effects at all.

I took the same course of starting with Complera and them switched to Stribild.  What's funny is that the copay for the Stribild was less then it was for Complera, even though it's a newer pill!  Doesn't matter to me either way though since I'm using the co-pay assistance card to cover the co-pay.

You'll do fine with Complera.  After about 24 days us using it, my CD4 went from 730 to 929, and viral load went from 57,000 to 80.  I had zero side effects as well.  For the meal I was taking it with, I would have an egg beater omelet with low fat cheese, and a wheat bagel with non-fat cream cheese.  That was just about 400 calories and still healthy.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.