Main Forums > Living With HIV

Approaching 5 years Positive

<< < (4/5) > >>

TGun:
dave,

im on biktarvy also,, 4 years in, alls well here now for me too... im motivated to hear about your thai life and experience liveing with hiv here, as in the back of my mind thailand has always been my fall back in the event healthcare here for me becomes unaffordable.   i beleive biktarvy is 3000 plus USD here right now,, so i am really excited to see this 3600 tHB price....how much does the rest of healthcare cost since your out of pocket, paying cash there???  I have a wife and 1 daughter i need to bring with me also if we make the move,, they are i full support and willing to go move there with me if i choose, thank goodness.

daveR:

--- Quote from: TGun on September 27, 2021, 10:01:03 am ---dave,

im on biktarvy also,, 4 years in, alls well here now for me too... im motivated to hear about your thai life and experience liveing with hiv here, as in the back of my mind thailand has always been my fall back in the event healthcare here for me becomes unaffordable.   i beleive biktarvy is 3000 plus USD here right now,, so i am really excited to see this 3600 tHB price....how much does the rest of healthcare cost since your out of pocket, paying cash there???  I have a wife and 1 daughter i need to bring with me also if we make the move,, they are i full support and willing to go move there with me if i choose, thank goodness.

--- End quote ---
That is a very broad question. I use private hospitals, the one I use now is the most expensive in the area. This doesn't mean I get the best medical treatment, it just means I get a very convenient polite service. Instant consultations and a Starbucks in the hospital lobby. I could get treatment at a government hospital much cheaper, but without any luxuries attached. Coming from the UK any treatment I have to pay for is expensive, so even at 3600 Thai baht, or just over $100 for a month of Biktarvy makes me want to cry.
If you do settle here with the family, HIV treatment in Bangkok is much cheaper at the Thai Red Cross, and health insurance for your family is essential. You wouldn't really want your loved ones spending time in a government hospital, communal ward recovering from an operation.

Dave

TGun:
ah thank you Dave,

Where abouts are you located in Thailand?  for me 3600 THB for Biktarvy a month is very doable. 

How are the remaining healthcare costs and quality there for you going????  any advice??

We're really thinking to relocate in a few years there,, things here in USA are gettign way too expensive.

daveR:
I am located in Pattaya, but the hospital I use is part of a large chain of hospitals with branches all over Thailand. The Bangkok group, for me the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. I lived down south for a while and used the Bangkok Hospital Had Yai. They have branches in Phuket also.

Health care quality from the top hospitals is excellent, just have to remember they are a business first, hospital second. Costs vary per hospital, if you can put up with a slight drop in luxury you can save a good bit of money even at private hospitals.

Health insurance for you being HIV positive would be impossible as far as I can see, so far every company I asked said they would not insure me. There me be some out there that will, or may be you could use a US policy.

TGun:
thanks dave,, im very familiar with thailand, as i had a gf for 6 years that was thai and traveled all over the country along time ago.

US healthplans wont allow coverage overseas,, in the event of hospital bill is accrued overseas, i am to get the bill translated and submit it to the US insurance and seek reimbursement.   thats not going to get the hospital paid initially, thats the sticking point im sure with a thai business.

how are all the other living situations? rent, work., schools etc?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version