Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:52:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Window period  (Read 8115 times)

Offline caliboo

Window period
« on: August 31, 2006, 12:58:55 am »
Hi, I have kind of a weird random question:

I was tested for HIV at Primary Health, which is like an HMO, just because I wanted to know my status.  My results were negative but I received them over the phone.  However, I have heard some clinics say that HiV results are not given over the phone.  I know doctors can't lie about test results but I just want to know if my way of receiving negative results was normal and trustworthy.

I know this is a weird question but I just want to be sure.  Please respond and thank you to whoever does!

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Getting results
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2006, 02:12:11 am »
It varies from place to place, but in general HIV results should not be given over the telephone. Pre and post test counselling form an important part of the HIV testing process. It's an opportunity for the clinician to assess if you were at any risk and to determine you're level of knowledge about HIV transmission.

This however, does not affect the accuracy of your results.

MtD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2006, 04:32:45 am »
caliboo,

I totally agree with Matty that your test results are still valid. While giving results over the phone is not considered good practice, I do not believe there is actually a law against it. I know plenty of people, both negative and positive, who received their results - accurate results - over the phone. In fact, over the phone is the only way to receive Home Access results.

As long as your test was performed three months past your last incident of unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse, you are conclusively hiv negative. Protect your negative status by using condoms.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence. If you are a woman, check out the links on the left hand side of either of those two pages where you can read about the female condom. Please also follow the Lessons links found in the Welcome Thread

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline caliboo

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 01:23:09 am »
I guess it just kind of freaked me out because when I was doing some research it seemed like most every place was like, YOU CANNOT GET HIV TEST RESULTS OVER THE PHONE.  And when I knew I had gotten mine via phone, I guess it still made me doubt my status. 

Does anyone know why some clinics, like mine, even bother giving negative results by phone?  If it helps, I was at a low to zero risk when I was tested, so I guess that could be a reason.

Any thoughts?

Offline Darkfiber

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 03:25:51 am »
Caliboo

In the country where I live (Switzerland) it is quite normal to get there result over the phone. The Zurich University hospital, infectious disease dept.  (one of the leading research institutions in Switzerland) offers this as the rule.

You do the test, get a code,  wait 24 hours , call and tell the code (or your name) and youŽll have the result. If it is negative it is a short conversation. If itŽs positive youŽll be put you to a counselor.

The risk assessment and education is done beforehand!

There are other institutions in Switzerland who only give the result face to face.

I think the way it is handled is by the assessments whats the best for the patients.

Regards

Darkfiber

Offline caliboo

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2006, 04:18:03 am »
So I shouldn't be bothered by the fact that my negative results were by phone?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2006, 05:29:00 am »
caliboo,

No, you should not worry about getting your results over the phone at all. Despite it not being considered "best practice", some clinics use this method of relaying test results simply because it is more cost effective. One staff member can give out results for far many more people over the phone in an hour than they could if they had to take up office time and space to do the same thing. It's nothing to worry about.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline caliboo

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2006, 12:58:00 pm »
Okay, thanks for your feedback, everybody!

Offline caliboo

Re: saliva
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 12:49:08 pm »
Hi, I hope I'm not breaking any rules by joining a thread that isn't mine with my own question. 

So I was reading this information and I just wanted to confirm-- so if someone performs fellatio on a man it's extremely likely that the saliva in her mouth would destroy any HIV living in it?  Is that why HIV transmission through giving a blowjob is so rare?

Offline caliboo

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 01:29:10 pm »
Hey, I'm back.  I had one other question and this one was more just out of curiosity.  If you can get negative results by telephone, why do so many credible sites say you can't?  Are they just being conservative?  I find that a little misleading for someone who got their results the way I did.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2006, 11:41:45 pm »
Hey, I'm back.  I had one other question and this one was more just out of curiosity.  If you can get negative results by telephone, why do so many credible sites say you can't?  Are they just being conservative?  I find that a little misleading for someone who got their results the way I did.
It depends on the place.  Many will require you go in face to face.  It just depends.  With all the privacy laws out there and the fact you can face huge fines if you disclose protected information (it can be 10,000 dollars, even prison time can be given to you), it just helps to cover their asses.  HIPAA is a very good thing, but it can get hospitals and such going overboard to make sure it is not possible for them to have a HIPAA violation.  I do not think it is technically against the law to give results over the form as long as you have the proper release, verify it is the right person, etc.  Also, the nature of HIV is part of it.  Especially if it is positive, many places like to give post test counseling.  It could just be in your case, since you were a negative and as you said no risk, they felt it was more economical to tell you over the phone.  That way the appointments are not taken up by people who really don't need to be there.   But you just do not need to worry about getting results over the phone--it is not common practice, but you still have accurate results.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 05:50:17 am »
Cali,

I removed your hijack of another thread last night and placed it here in your own thread. (then the website went down for a few hours as I was posting my reply...) Please only ask questions in your own thread and make sure you read our posting guidelines in the Welcome thread.

You were right, the anti-hiv properties of saliva is one factor that makes hiv transmission from giving a blowjob rare. Another factor is the scarcity of the type of cell that hiv can latch onto. There are only certain types that hiv can infect and they are not found in any great quantity in the mouth.

Coffeechick gave you the same answer to your second question as I did last night - but my post was lost because of the problem with the website.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline caliboo

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 05:21:44 pm »
Thanks for the reassurances and sorry about the hijacking!

Offline caliboo

Window period
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 08:41:56 pm »
Hi, I had another question that I forgot to ask the last time I posted here:

Is one negative HIV test over a year after possible exposure as definitive as a negative test at three to six months?  Stupid question, I know, but you always hear about the three to six month mark, never any later.  I waited over a year before I got a test.  I was just making sure it didn't make a difference and that my results were still conclusive. 

Thanks, you guys are really helpful.   

Offline RapidRod

Re: Window period
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 08:46:42 pm »
If you didn't have any unprotected anal and vaginal eariler than 13 weeks prior to your test then it is conclusive.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 09:54:52 pm »
The CDC is quite conservative about when to test and for quite sometime it has advocated 13 weeks as a reliable testing point. The only exceptions are for someone who is an IV drug user or someone who has a severely depleted immune system through cancer treatment or like fairly catastrophic event.

Since I expect that neither of those apply to you, you can consider your test result to be reliable.

Don't start anymore new threads. Keep your questions and comments in one thread so that readers can follow the discussion. 

Cheers,
Andy Velez

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 02:37:38 am »
I know, but you always hear about the three to six month mark, never any later.  I waited over a year before I got a test.

If you read those phrases carefully you'll note that they say at least 3 months after your last incident. Any test after 3 months is considered reliable unless some of the extenuating circumstances that Andy has referred to are factors in your life. Your year later negative is as good as a 3 month negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2007, 01:33:33 pm »
Cali,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

A test over, or at, three months is conclusive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline caliboo

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2007, 02:28:25 pm »
Okay, thanks.  The actual amount of time I waited was about 22 months, so I was wondering, if you wait that long to be tested, would a doctor still use the standard ELISA test or is there some other kind of test that would have to be used that I should have been made aware of when I was tested?  I'm probably overanalyzing this but I would like to know.

Thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 04:07:10 pm »
Yes, you are overanalyzing this.

The standard ELISA would give an accurate result anytime after 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.