Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:38:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773280
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 354
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 302
Total: 304

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thailand - switch from Complera to Dovato (generics)  (Read 6640 times)

Offline Mindless

Thailand - switch from Complera to Dovato (generics)
« on: December 08, 2020, 10:27:33 am »
So, I promised to someone here on the forum that I would update about my planned switch and here I am.

Eventually, I switched 2 weeks ago. I had been taking generic Complera for almost 3 years, before that used generic Atripla about 1 year.

Thanks to the forum I got to know that generic Dolutegravir was eventually available at TRCARC in Bkk and talked to my ID doc who eventually agreed to the switch. So, in writing this I also mean to give back to the great people that helped me.

Generic DTG 50 mg (by Milan) costs 720 bath, whereas generic Lamivudine 300 mg (by GPO) is 210 bath, therefore the cost for a 30 days supply is 930 bath, which is not much different to what I paid for Complera (generic) and still a super good/acc accessible price (thank you Thailand for this).

Reasons for the switch: food requirement, less meds (2 instead of 3) and see if some side effects would get better (insomnia and bowels issues).

Luckily I didn’t get any very bad reaction from the switch but for the first week had increased insomnia, vivid/bad dreams and fatigue. During this second week it seems like these effects are slowly subsiding. I hope this improving trend continues, if not I’m considering to take the pill in the morning to see if the sleep benefits.

Not having to take the pills with food is great and my taking timing is way more consistent than before. It’s actually very good to know that if I can’t have a full meal I can still take the meds. In the past this gave me more than one headache.

Now I have to wait my first lab test in about 5/6 weeks (my doc suggested the timeframe) to see if the meds are working. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞🤞

The following is a link to the TRACARC price list: https://th.trcarc.org/en/anonymous-clinic/arv

I have been told that also Biktarvy (original) is now available at Red Cross, prive should be in the range of 2,500 bath/bottle but I forgot to check.

I will post if I have any updates.

Hugs

Edit: I just checked and Biktarvy (original) is now present in the TRCARC price list at 2,250 bath/bottle. Great price as well.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 10:31:14 am by Mindless »
Dx Feb. 2018, CD 320, %14

- Atripla Feb/18 -->
- Complera (generic) 2019 -->
- Dovato (generic) 2021 -->

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Thailand - switch from Complera to Dovato (generics)
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 05:04:32 pm »
I've been taking Dovato for a year now -- I take it in the morning and have had no sleep issues at all. 
I like the convenience of just taking it when I get up -- no worries about eating or not eating (I used to take both Atripla and Reyataz, so one without and one with - every day).
I'm very glad that I finally made the switch after 14 yrs.

Good luck!!

Mike

Offline Mindless

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:03:04 pm »
Hi Mike,

thanks for the feedback. BTW, you take it before/after your breakfast? I'd like to try the morning to see if the sleep improves. A part from that I'm happy with the switch.

Hugs

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline daveR

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 09:56:00 pm »
Hi Mindless.
Thanks for the detailed update. I am currently taking the same regime as you just gave. The food requirements are something I want to get away from. I discussed it with my ID Doctor and she reverted back to older regimes which I turned down. In April I will discuss generic Dovato, those prices are reasonable and a day trip to Bangkok to collect them would not be an inconvenience.

Thanks for the great info.
Dave

Offline Mindless

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 10:22:15 pm »
Hi Mindless.
Thanks for the detailed update. I am currently taking the same regime as you just gave. The food requirements are something I want to get away from. I discussed it with my ID Doctor and she reverted back to older regimes which I turned down. In April I will discuss generic Dovato, those prices are reasonable and a day trip to Bangkok to collect them would not be an inconvenience.

Thanks for the great info.
Dave

Hi Dave, you're welcome. FYI, TRCARC has a shipping option for the meds, you can check on their website. Basically, they can ship you the meds, so you don't have to travel. I never used and so I don't know how it works in detail. Maybe a Thai friend could help you with that (the website is mostly in Thai language)

Hugs

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline bocker3

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 06:59:01 am »
Hi Mike,

thanks for the feedback. BTW, you take it before/after your breakfast? I'd like to try the morning to see if the sleep improves. A part from that I'm happy with the switch.

Hugs

Sometimes before breakfast, sometimes after.  That's the beauty of this, for me.  After 14 years of taking my Reyataz in the morning, after breakfast and my Atripla a few hours after dinner, I love that there is no worry now.
Mike

Offline TGun

• Happy to be alive
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 11:07:25 am »
so ive been on biktarvy and genvoya for awhile and suffered some weight gain that i can't get under control (about 20 lbs)   is the dovato giving you the same side effects???

Offline Mindless

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 09:28:43 am »
Sometimes before breakfast, sometimes after.  That's the beauty of this, for me.  After 14 years of taking my Reyataz in the morning, after breakfast and my Atripla a few hours after dinner, I love that there is no worry now.
Mike

I’ve been taking Complera for just less than 3 years, I can only imagine what could be go through 2 different food requirements for 14 😅. Good that you made the switch!

I feel exhausted ever since the switch, not all days but almost every other. Not sure if this is from the Dovato itself or from the disturbed sleep. I think I’ll switch to the morning to see how that works. BTW, how does it work when you have things like blood tests or other procedures that need fasting in the morning? I have several medical issues I’m keeping monitored besides hiv, so I have periodic blood tests and other stuff to do. Taking the meds at night, that wasn’t an issue but in the morning? How do you manage?

Thanks

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline Matths

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 09:32:53 am »
Hi, I have been on Dovato for 1.5 years now. I take it in the morning. Given there are no food requirements it doesn’t matter whether you take it with or without good. Therefore, if you had a procedure that requires fasting you can still take Dovato, get your fasting blood draw and have breakfast after. Best Matt

Offline Mindless

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 09:35:59 am »
so ive been on biktarvy and genvoya for awhile and suffered some weight gain that i can't get under control (about 20 lbs)   is the dovato giving you the same side effects???

Hi TGun, as you see I’ve been taking it only for a couple of weeks, so I can’t help you. Hope someone else can answer you. Anyways, both Bictegravir and Dolutegravir belong to the same class (integrase inhibitor), which has be linked to weight gain in some people. But as Isaid, someone more experienced may give you a better feedback.

Hugs

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline Mindless

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 09:40:32 am »
Hi, I have been on Dovato for 1.5 years now. I take it in the morning. Given there are no food requirements it doesn’t matter whether you take it with or without good. Therefore, if you had a procedure that requires fasting you can still take Dovato, get your fasting blood draw and have breakfast after. Best Matt

Thanks Matths, feedback much appreciated. How about the time window you consider? With Complera my doc suggested a +/- 2 hours, not sure if it’s the same with Dovato.

Hugs

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline bocker3

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 04:48:28 pm »
I always schedule my blood draws early in the morning -- I was so used to taking my meds after I had my blood draw, because I needed the food with the Reyataz, that I've been doing the same with the Dovato -- taking it after.  I suppose there is no reason I can't just take them before -- with water only, of course.

As for the window to take it -- I've pretty much used the "anytime during the day" method for 14 years.  I rarely vary more than a couple hours either way, but when I travel (remember when we could actually travel places......  I miss that) I've gone as long as 36 hrs and as short as 12 hours due to time changes.
For me -- as long as I take it "daily", I'm comfortable.  Oh, and I have not had so much as a tiny blip in 14 yrs, so.......  Just an anecdote, but that is what I do.

Mike

Offline Matths

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 09:05:57 pm »
I take the medicine always at 7am when I get up. Maybe I’m a little obsessed but I have only a time change when switching at daylight savings time. Otherwise, it’s part of my morning routine. Medicine with a sip of water, and ready to start my day. From a pharmacokinetics perspective you can easily accommodate a time window of 2 hours plus minus and I can pull the publications showing half life time of both drugs that make Dovato etc etc. I adhere to that also on days when I get the VL checked, or other parameters like lipids, liver, kidney function etc. it’s a very easy drug in my opinion that doesn’t impact your daily routines and that was one reason besides the good data from clinical trials that made me choose Dovato over other choices that my doc and I discussed at the time. Best Matt

Offline Mindless

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 04:19:07 am »
Mike, Matths,

Thank you, both of you. Really, I mean it. Getting first hand, thoughtful advice from experienced guys like you is invaluable.

Hugs

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline Mindless

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 04:27:28 am »
@Mike

Yeah, I do remember the time when we travelled to other countries through the sky on those cylinders of steel with wings. That was when I still had customers to visit and new ones to make or when I went on vacation, back home or to some exotic places: new places, new faces... God, I miss that.

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline Mindless

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 01:11:26 am »
Update

For anyone interested: I got my first VL test at week 6 after the meds switch and it’s UD!  ;D I’m so grateful for this.

Taking the meds without need for food is really great for me. I switched to morning and take it as soon as I wake up and then go about my day.

Initial side effects have subsided but I still have occasional trouble with the sleep, anyways I had it also with Complera before.

All in all, I’m satisfied with the switch and planning to continue with the new meds. I will check my blood labs at my usual biannual check in a few months.

Hugs

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Offline daveR

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 05:40:58 am »
Thanks for the update. I hope it all continues to go well for you. I will discuss the switch in April at my next appointment.

Dave

Offline Mindless

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2021, 09:54:47 pm »
Thanks for the update. I hope it all continues to go well for you. I will discuss the switch in April at my next appointment.

Dave

Thanks and best of luck to you too! Chok Dee krap! 🙏🏻
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:07:22 pm by Mindless »

- Atripla Feb/18 -->

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.