Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:28:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 608
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 575
Total: 576

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I have a complaint about my Doctor and I am asking what should I do.  (Read 4133 times)

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
Well, it started when I had a skin tag near my anus no bigger than an apple seed and I ask my Doctor for advice.  Well, he got another doctor to look at it, a proctologist, and he cut some of it off to make sure it was not cancerous and such...  I should have known something was strange for the way he cut it, several times; it grew to the size of a walnut a week after his examination.  Guess what, my doctor tells me that I have to have surgery to have the walnut removed.  Ok, no problem...  Will Adapt pay for this? We asked the social worker and she says, "oh yes they will."  Ok, I could go on Hasa and have them pay for it if I have to but since the social worker says that Adapt will pay, I am satisfied.  I even called Adapt to make sure and asked will they pay the surgery to remove the skin tag.  They said yes.  I am not a big fan of surgery, actually, if I could never ever have surgery again for the rest of my life that would be fine by me.  To continue, I get the surgery, "I thought I was going to Die," and all is well.  No problems except to get home and recover... blab, blab, blab...  By the way, it was a very uncomfortable and hellish time to recover from the pain.  Anyway, months passed and guess what; the hospital sends me a bill for $1500.00.  I just ignore it for I was told that Adapt would pay for it by the social worker and Adapt operator.  Next, I get a letter from Adapt that they will not cover the cost of the surgery.  I am calm, cause I don't have the money and what can they do.  So finally, I go back to the health clinic and tell the give the social worker the bill and she assures me that it must be a mistake and that Adapt will cover it.  She calls me informing me that "Oh Adapt won’t cover it and ...." 

I plan to change my primary healthcare provider because I feel that the proctologist who cut the skin tag in two knew it would grow and that I would need surgery to remove it.  I mean it was an apple seed and after he cut a sample it bleed and grew.  I feel both doctors knew the outcome.  I assume they thought I would go on Hasa and Hasa would pay for the surgery.  Moreover, the social worker must have known that Adapt would not pay for it.  Instinct told me something was amiss, but I did not worry about it.  I just don't know why the Adapt operator would lie. 

I would like to ask to whom do I complain to if I feel that the Doctors, the hospital and staff are taking advantage of HIV my HIV status and possible other HIV patients?  I mean I am the perfect victims since going public would mean letting the world know of my status and I am not ready for that as of yet.  Does anyone has advice or knows whom I can contact to make a complaint in New York City.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 07:56:52 am by red_Dragon888 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: I have a complaint about my Doctor and I am asking what should I do.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 08:04:48 am »
I don't know who to direct you to in NYC, but I doubt the doctors and social worker were trying to get one over on you.  Probaby the best place to start would be their supervisors.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:22:46 am »
I understand what your'e saying but woman's intuition tells me different, not that I am a women.  :D  But you have to admit, they could take advantage of HIV+ people in this way.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 08:23:50 am »
I don't know who to direct you to in NYC, but I doubt the doctors and social worker were trying to get one over on you.  Probaby the best place to start would be their supervisors.
I understand what your'e saying but woman's intuition tells me different, not that I am a women.  :D  But you have to admit, they could take advantage of HIV+ people in this way.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 08:27:44 am »
Uh, o.k.  But why would they try to swindle someone they know hasn't got the ability to pay?
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 11:44:28 am »
I don't get why they wouldn't cut off the entire skin tag if it was that small.

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 11:48:30 am »
Maybe it was not a skintag.  It sounds like it wasn't.

You should not have to pay the bill.  Make a deal and agree to pay $1 a month, pay $12 and ask them to bill you every year.

Another thing I want to add.  I had a skin tag on my side and I wanted the doctor to remove it.  I had one removed many years ago and it was tied off and fell off.  This time the doctor wanted to freeze it.  The first time it did not fall off, the second time the nurse did it, and she left a discoloration mark.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:19:05 pm by LiveWithIt »
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 12:17:17 pm »
You should not have to pay the bill.  Make a deal and agree to pay $1 a month, pay $12 and ask them to bill you every year.

The first time it did not fall off, the second time the nurse did it, and she left a declaration mark.

LOL bill me yearly.

Declaration mark? no clue what that is.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 01:59:52 pm »
  I once ran up a huge hospital bill. I contacted a social worker at the hospital and explained the truth , that I simply could not afford to pay due to hardship. She arranged to have the hospital write it off. Maybe see if  you can arrange some thing similar. Word of advice ...when and if you talk to a social worker leave out the conspiracy theory's and consentrate on the fact that its hardship to pay the bill....  Jeff 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline LiveWithIt

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 02:20:21 pm »
LOL bill me yearly.

Declaration mark? no clue what that is.

I meant discoloration mark.   It looks like a birthmark the size of a nickel.
Pray God you can cope
I know you have a little life in you yet.
I know you have a lot of strength left.

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 02:56:55 pm »
I meant discoloration mark.   It looks like a birthmark the size of a nickel.

Ohhhhh.

I was present for the removal of a irregularly shaped mole on the man I caretake for. He has a thumbnail sized pink scar there now.

<<<---- is morbidly fascinated by blood and guts LOL

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 03:35:55 pm »
  I once ran up a huge hospital bill. I contacted a social worker at the hospital and explained the truth , that I simply could not afford to pay due to hardship. She arranged to have the hospital write it off. Maybe see if  you can arrange some thing similar. Word of advice ...when and if you talk to a social worker leave out the conspiracy theory's and consentrate on the fact that its hardship to pay the bill....  Jeff 

I'm not stupid.  Of course I wont yell conspiracy.  As a matter of fact, I wont go back to them at all.  I have already made plans to switch health care providers and that is the end of that chapter.  I know without evidence I have no case, but then again, I made sure that they could not take me to court cause I wrote on the papers they made me sign before getting operated, "signed under duress,"  which means they can't use against me in a court of law.  I fugured that to be on the safe side, to put that in under my signature just in case this happens.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:37:39 pm by red_Dragon888 »

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 03:40:57 pm »
Uh, o.k.  But why would they try to swindle someone they know hasn't got the ability to pay?

They know I could go to Hasa, a kind of welfare for HIV people, and Hasa would pay for the operation.  If they would have told me that Adapt would not pay for the operation, I would gone to Hasa and have them pay for it.  Or I would have gone and get a second opinion. 

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 03:42:12 pm »
I don't get why they wouldn't cut off the entire skin tag if it was that small?

Good question.  It was small enough to cut off.  They just cut it in half and it grew bigger.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.