Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:06:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773286
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 387
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV Risk - Please help me!!!  (Read 6463 times)

Offline SOScared7890

HIV Risk - Please help me!!!
« on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:25 pm »
I was at the store the other day to buy laundry detergent. When I got home with it several hours later, I noticed a reddish-brown smear on the bottle. I hadn't noticed this when I took it off the shelf. Say, if by chance, the smear was HIV infected blood, is there ANY WAY that I could've been infected if I had gotten it on my hand when I picked it up off of the store shelf, and then gotten it into my eye or mouth (mucous membranes, which as I understand it, are means of transmission) if I rubbed my face? I don't recall seeing anyone in the aisle with me at the time, but what if someone had an open, bloody cut on their hand, touched the bottle, gotten blood on it, and had JUST walked away and out of the aisle JUST as I picked it up? Say, all of this happened within a matter of seconds (from the time they got blood on the bottle to it getting on me and then me rubbing my eyes or touching my mouth)? I know this may sound far-fetched, but I need to know if there is even the slightest possibilty that this was a transmission risk.

Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV Risk - Please help me!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:30:47 pm »
You were already advised in another forum that you cannot contract HIV in that manner.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:34:04 pm »
It's beyond farfetched. There isn't a shred of fact for any scientific based concern about HIV in your incident. Nothing whatsoever. You need to read our lesson about transmission to get the basics.

This epidemic is going to around for a longtime to come and no one can afford to be so unknowing.

Bottom line you have no cause to be concerned this time.
Andy Velez

Offline SOScared7890

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:03:01 pm »
So even if it was absolutely fresh blood, seconds-old, smeared on the bottle, and then I somehow got it into my eye or mouth or nose, that STILL wouldn't be considered a risk? Pardon my ignorance - I do not know much about this topic, and have read some scary stuff on the internet. Thank you again.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:07:20 am »

the virus is extremely fragile.  Once it's exposed to the air, it's gone.  It takes only a millesecond of exposure for the virus to go bad, regardless of how much blood there is. 

robt

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 08:30:08 am »
No, no variation of what you have reported would put this kind of incident into the risky category.

You need to stop surfing the net on this subject because I can promise you will find lots of misinformation there that will feed your worst fears, all to no good purpose.
Andy Velez

Offline SOScared7890

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 11:29:23 am »
So there's not even a theoretical risk? I am so, so sorry for my persistence. I am just scared out of my mind and have a really bad cold (+ fever) that started 4-5 days after this incident, and I'm terrified it might my symptomatic of being infected with HIV. Thanks again for all of your insight.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 12:52:12 pm »
How many ways are there to tell you there was absolutely no risk, no, not even "theoretically" in relation to this incident.

You need to give it up and get on with your life. There's not a shred of any sensible basis for your concern. See your doctor if you have symptoms you're concerned about. And if you can't give up worrying about HIV then I suggest you see a counselor or other professional to discuss the matter because frankly you're worrying is totally cuckoo in this case. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline SOScared7890

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 08:39:32 pm »
My apologies for being a nuisance. I just can't get it out of my head that I will somehow be the 1st one, 1st one, 1st one, in the history of the epidemic, to acquire HIV in this way. I guess it's either sickly flattering, or in your words Andy, "cuckoo"  ;)

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:56 pm »
Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Offline SOScared7890

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 07:22:52 am »
Hi again. I am so sorry to come back here after being warned, but I am freaking out! Approximately 16 days since my "incident" and I have a sore throat...I know you're not supposed to diagnose from symptoms, but this just seems far too coincidental. I keep trying to tell myself that there was no risk from the sullied laundry detergent bottle, but again, I keep seeing contradictory information on the internet. I was told on another site that I posted on that just like a healthcare worker, I am at risk because I MAY have gotten the blood into my eye or mouth - what the heck??? I thought healthcare workers were at risk because they could potentially get huge splashes of blood in their face; my "incident" would've been a fairly small amount, I believe. What should I do??? I'm certain I'll get another warning or be completely banned, and I certainly don't want that - I just need a reality check and possibly some additional reassurance. Thanks in advance for everything you guys do on this website.

Offline SOScared7890

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:30:11 am »
Oh, and this other site said that my transmission risk would also depend on the "viral load" of the person who bled on the bottle - what does that even mean? Does that increase the risk?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 07:56:02 am »
OK. I was about to give you a Time Out when I realized you hadn't been officially warned about coming back here again with this totally non-risk situation.

So consider yourself warned. No more hand holding here about this incident. If you return with more of the same you're going to get a 28 day Time Out.

Your problem isn't HIV. Get yourself some professional help if you can't give up on this one. There's nothing more we can tell you about this incident.

Andy Velez

Offline SOScared7890

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 08:53:54 am »
I apologize for being a bother. It's just that when you get different information from one site to the next, it can be exhausting attempting to sort it all out. I realize that's not anyone's problem but my own; I just wish the information out there was more consistent.

Thank you for your time.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 09:04:20 am »
We're very, very careful here about the information we give out.

I can also tell you that without a doubt if you continue to search on the web you are absolutely going to find misinformation to feed your worst fears. And all without any basis in HIV science. But that's up to you to get off of that counter productive electronic ride about your non-risk situation.

Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 09:24:58 am »
SOScared7890 aka  CAM273 what were you told in the Drs Forum on MedHelp and in the Community Forum on MedHelp? Mar 20th 2009..

"With all due respect, normally we simply delete questions such as yours as they have no basis in reality and have no education value to our readers.  You will get a single brief answer.

There is no way whatsoever that you could have gotten HIV from the smear you saw in the laundry detergent IF it was blood and IF the person who was bleeding had HIV.  HIV is simply not spread by inanimate objects.    There is universal agreement about scientists on this."  " Time for you to either move on or, if you cannot, to seek the advice of a counselor or other mental health professional who can help you to do so.  EWH "

Offline SOScared7890

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 09:46:13 am »
I DO trust this site as well as MedHelp - but then I venture onto to certain other sites or into other forums, and am told what I was told here and on MedHelp is not true. Again, not your problem, but it is maddening and frightening to have to decipher fact from fiction. It makes you feel like you're going crazy. I found this site and MedHelp on a fluke - I didn't know they existed, and had I not come across them, I would be worse off than I am now.

Thanks to you, RapidRod, and Andy for the advice.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.