Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:03:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 199
Total: 200

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Doctor.  (Read 2966 times)

Offline blondbeauty

New Doctor.
« on: January 03, 2007, 05:59:09 pm »
Now that I was used to my weird Dr., I will have my next appointment with a new one...I went today to have my blood drawn at the hospital (only 20 minutes wait!) and then to have my appointment with my Dr. scheduled. The nurse said he was completely booked till the end of February and offered me the possibility of having an appointment with a new Dr. by the end of Jan. I agreed...I hope I like him....and if I am undetectable I will try to convince him to have my follow ups every 4 or 6 months... ;D
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
Re: New Doctor.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 06:34:19 pm »
Good luck with your new doctor.  I made the mistake myself today of looking at the list of hiv providers via NYU versus the 1 choice here on the Cape. :(  I am with you on spreading out the time between appointments, having shocked some of the practice associates when they saw the 4 months allowed.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 06:45:50 pm »
Srry to hear that. Maybe the new one is better.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 07:27:01 pm »
I can still go back to the old Dr. anytime. I had a nightmare (as always before a blood draw): I had a new Dr. that took me off treatment because he thought I started meds too early...
This is something I would not be able to handle. I sometimes think of when is my Dr. going to retire and what am I going to do...
At the beginning I didn't like him at all and now I feel quite the opposite. I have realized I trust him completely. On my last visit (when my viral load dropped from 80.200 copies to 1.160) he saw me in the corridor in front of the waiting room, recognized me ( he has thousands of patients) and told me the good news (he had my numbers in his head!), before my turn, to make me feel better while I waited. I think that really touched me.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:36:45 pm by blondbeauty »
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:37:28 pm »
If you're comfortable with your numbers and you like your Dr, then why not just wait until the end of Feb?  I had to do that last month.  I had my blood drawn middle of NOv for my appointment 2 weeks later.  Something came up and I had to reschedule.  The first appointment available for my Dr was not until after Christmas.  No problem.  I waited. I already knew my blood results (she mailed them to me) and when we saw each other after Christmas, our meeting was nice and cordial and non-eventful.

robert

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 07:41:06 pm »
Good advise Robert, but it is a huge public hospital in which I nothing more than a file number. The only way to get the results is going to an appointment. They donīt mail results and they donīt send e-mails or make phone calls. Your files are only in the office the day of your appointment. After the appointment they send them back to a store room somewhere else so they are not available.
But yes! I could have waited. Maybe next time...
It is not a real problem. I was just sharing my thoughts...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 07:44:35 pm by blondbeauty »

Offline bravebuddharich

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 07:43:26 pm »
Good luck with your new doctor! 4 to 6 months between visits? I'm panicking because my doctor told me I should make my appt. for 3 months' time - of course I'm head over heels deeply in love with my doctor and I am used to seeing him at least once a month, usually twice, but...

I have a strange question, strange because I've been poz for 20 or 21 years, yet I am ignorant: what are those percentages after cd4 counts? My last cd4 count was 500, with my viral load undetectable - what would a percentage afterwards indicate? The increase in the count? (it had been 53 in mid-January of last year). Why don't I know anything about this? (feeling ignorant!)

Rich from Boston

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:57:30 pm »
Rich,
You can find that in the lessons section but it is something very easy to explain. The t4 cells or cd4 are a subkind of lymphocytes.
When my Dr. does the paper work for the lab he writes:"lymphocytes subpopulations"
The lab then measures the amount of every different class of lymphocytes from the total count of lymphocytes.
If the total count of lymphocytes is 2.000 and the 25% of them are cd4, then your total count of cd4 is 500.
In my case they print the percentage before the total count. Like this: cd4: 25%=503
The percentage seems to be a more reliable way of assessing how is you immune system doing because it fluctuates much less than the total count.

Offline Blixer

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 08:20:16 pm »
Good luck with the new doctor. I understand wanting to get the results.  Once you get to undetectable it is a great feeling.  You should be there this time.  It is amazing what the meds do to the virus.  It does sound like you had a great doctor in the old one too.  I'm lucky in that with the trials unit they call or email me as soon as the results come in.  I like that!  And I think there will always be a bit of wondering when you go for the blood draw.  I can understand your nightmare too.  Best of luck and keep us posted as I'm sure you will.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.