Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:23:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: To stop combivir??  (Read 5306 times)

Offline apple

To stop combivir??
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:48:43 am »
Hi,

I am looking for some advice on whether i should stop combivir or not.

I take kaletra, combivir and viread. Have been on this combination for 4 years but my HB has dropped from 14.5 now to  11.3.

I have been advised by my doctor to drop combivir and take tenofovir and kaletra only. I am scared (although i don't like AZT and its effects).

Has anyone out there been on this combination of kaletra and viread only? How did you fair?

Thanks in advance,
Apple

Offline buginme2

Re: To stop combivir??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:20:28 am »
Am I mis-reading you or is your doctor wanting you to go on Kaletra and Tenofovir only?  Wouldn't that be one short of a full regimen?   Why dont you change to Kaletra/Truvada or Kaletra/Epzicom?

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline apple

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 03:21:43 pm »
Yes, i am being advise to take kaletra and tenofovir only? we do not have a lot of choices from where  come from, however, i am just scared whether i should battle out the side effects of combivir and see my hb reducing or take the risk of dropping it.

Thanks,
Apple

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:57:31 pm »
Apple I wish I could offer a suggestion but I just don't know enough about this type of regimen to give an answer.  There are some others on here with more experience, hopefully they will chime in.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:28:19 am »
I know i'm a little new to all this stuff, so basically just asking a question.  Why with all the new medications out are doctors still using AZT?  Wasn't that like the worst med with the most amount of side effects?  Try not to beat me up on this, i'm looking to be educated. I would think surely some of the new combos would work
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:19:11 am »
Apple, although I could not find any documents I could link you to here (they all want subscription money), the majority of hiv meds that are available in the US and other developed nations are also available in the country where you live. (As an admin, I can see where your IP address originates from, but my lips are sealed.)

The possible exceptions are one or two meds from the newer classes (ie Isentress). However, you should have either Truvada or Epivir  available, even if they are only available in their component parts. (See our Treatments page for more information.) These are the meds most often swapped for when one is wanting to get away from the AZT in Combivir.

If you're nervous about only taking two (three if you count the ritonavir in Kaletra) meds (I know I would be), please discuss with your doctor what other options are available. If the availability issue is due to your living in a more rural area, then you may be able to get your local pharmacy, hospital or clinic to bring in the meds you need from a more urban area.

You also have the possibility of buying generics from a company such as Cipla.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 11:21:04 am »
Kaletra is one of the few meds that has worked on it's own (monotherapy) for some people. As Ann mentions, it's actually two drugs but the Norvir is mainly a boosting agent.

It seems to me that the question of whether it will work in your particular case has to do with your resistance profile. I guess in your country they probably did not do resistance testing?

There is currently a clinical trial looking at Kaltera/Viread in treatment-naive patients:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00679926

Several studies have found Kaletra monotherapy to work, such as this one:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/712633

[If above link does not work you can google: "Lopinavir/Ritonavir Monotherapy Is Noninferior to Standard ART in Confirmatory Study"]

This study was done looking at Lopinavir/ritonavir + tenofovir Dual Therapy versus Lopinavir/ritonavir-Based Triple Therapy:

http://www.omicsonline.org/1948-5964/JAA-02-056.php

You can also ask the doctors at thebody.com:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/index.html
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:44:02 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 11:54:03 am »
Inch, Apple comes from a well-advanced country - but I'm not at liberty to say which country, it's not my place to divulge such information. I would imagine that resistance testing is a standard of care where she lives, just like it is in most "westernised" countries.

And thanks for the information regarding Kaletra. I was thinking it was another med that had been looked at in reduced-med regimens and/or monotherapy.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 04:51:05 pm »
You can almost certainly get 3TC, one of the 2 drugs in Combivir. If you swap this for Combivr and keep the rest, you will be ona full 3 drug combo and have dropped AZT, the other drug in Combivir that is probably causing the problems.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline apple

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 06:38:29 am »
Thanks guys for your responses. I will follow up on the links provided.

Ann, its true that i am living in a developed country, but i still get all my meds from my country (developing). The  medical insurance here, does not cover such diseases like AIDS for foreigners of my status, (profession) so every few months, i have to organise meds (generic) from home, hence my saying, i do not have many options. Even my lab results have to be interpreted by my doctor at home. The doctor here just facilitates to get the blood samples and handover the results. Interpretation and decisions about the results are done home. (very cumbersome, but unavoidable!)

The meds in my country of residence  are unaffordable without medical insurance. So when the doctor is making decision to switch drugs, it is done based on availability.

I did the resistance test (which was also extremely expensive without a medical insurance) and i am resistant to 3TC and nevirapene so far.

Thanks once again for your comments and advice.
Apple

Offline newt

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 08:11:22 am »
Taking 3TC with tenofovir still works even with the resistance. The mutation which usually makes 3TC resistant (called M184V) makes the changed virus more susceptible to tenofovir.

Generic 3TC is really cheap if you can get it.

- matt

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 08:42:49 am »
Wow Apple, that sounds like a real pain in the arse. And I thought I had an inconvenient arrangement in having to fly to Liverpool for my hiv care - that's nothing compared to what you have to do.

Good luck with dropping AZT - chemically induced anemia is no fun. When I was on treatment for hep C, my HB went down to 8.something for a while and it was a struggle to just stand up, never-mind walking up the stairs or even across the room. I had to reduce the dosage of one of my meds and the problem went away in a few weeks. Don't let your HB get that low! I was having trouble too when my HB was 11.something, and the lower it got, the more breathless and weak I became. Hang in there!

Oh, and listen to Newt. He knows his stuff when it comes to hiv treatments. Personally, I trust his advice implicitly. :)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline newt

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 05:33:37 pm »
Personally, I trust his advice implicitly

I get things wrong, people should know this, so go CHECK (but in this case I am not making one :-) )

- matt

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 09:04:48 am »
I get things wrong, people should know this, so go CHECK (but in this case I am not making one :-) )

- matt

Troo 'nuf, but 99 times out of 100 you ARE right. And yes, I do check. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.