Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:44:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 314
Total: 315

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Resistance Question.  (Read 3299 times)

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
Resistance Question.
« on: January 31, 2007, 03:55:06 pm »
Recently found out I am resistant to NNRTI class drugs therefore that limits my choices of drugs. I have the option to take nukes and PI. If these drugs become ineffective in the near future does this mean that fuzeon is the next option for me? I understand new classes of drugs are in the process of coming out, but until that happends what is the next step after resistance to a PI or Nuke? I understand that PI's can be replaced with another PI but does the PI loose some of it's effectiveness since one PI already failed? Having a resistance to a class of drug, what are the other implication towards my health? Does this mean it is a more rapidly growing virus?
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Resistance Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 04:14:37 pm »
You have a lot of options until you reach the fuzeon stage, and even considering that the new medications that are in phase 4 trials and will hit the market within 6-months would prevent that.  Please relax.  And no, it doesn't mean the virus is growing more rapidly, just that the doctor has to pay closer attention to what they give you. 

Why are you worried about PI's failing you when you have no resistance to them at present?  You're simply inventing things in your head to go wrong before they do... don't fall into that type of thinking.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 07:06:57 am »
Philly is right ...!

I was initially on Sustiva / Epzicom and had a horrible reaction to the Epzicom.  Thinking it was the Sustiva, the doc had me continue on the Epzicom until the Sustiva was out of my system.  Unfortunately, it was the Epzicom and I had to totally stop.  I sat at home for the rest of the week freaking that I would quickly develop resistance to the NNRTI's and worried I was never going to be able to tolerate the nukes leaving me without any options.  There are a wide variety of options available especially if you're just starting out.

Again, stop stressing because it isn't productive for anyone but Pepcid sales at the drug store.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 09:50:53 am »
Hope,

I understand that it needs a lot of mutations to develop a resistance against a PI, so you really shouldn't worry too much about this now. PIs may have a few undesirable side effects such as increasing lippos and stuff, and you have to take them twice a day, but they are effective and work well. Just relax a bit, there are plenty of options you can choose from. :)
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline Double M

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 02:05:36 am »
Hi,

I was going to start on Truvada/ Sustiva until I had a resistance test and that showed not only resistance to all NNRTIS but also varying degrees of resistance to the NRTIS as well. I stated on boosted Reyataz and the best of the Nukes available to me (Kivexa/ Epzicom) and went to un-detectable in two months and been that way for over a year now.

So basically if you have all the PIs and Nukes available to you then there with good adherence there’s no reason you shouldn’t be taking the same combination in 10 years time and if you look at how the meds have come on in the last 10 years that should be pretty encouraging!

Lloyd

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 10:06:13 am »
Adherance is what will be key, you have much less wiggle room to screw up with this issue.  Just keep this in mind, IHH.  And I know everyone when they're first starting meds swears up and down that they'll never ever contemplate missing a dose -- well, it DOES happen.  And once you miss one, it's easy to write off missing two as long as they're separated by a few days... it's a slippery slope so just always keep in mind that with a resistance you need to always be on top of this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.