Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:25:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 708
Total: 709

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Descovy  (Read 4832 times)

Offline Boo

Descovy
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:58:48 am »
Hi
I have been prescribed Descovy by my Doctor.

I have. been on Kaletra and Kivexa for a number of years and he has changed it to Kaletra and Descovy .  i have read the common side effects is there anyone taking this. new drug and are the side effects quite common ie Bone issues as well as Kidney issues and does it have increase your cholesterol

Regards
Boo

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Descovy
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:25:22 am »
Hi

I don't want to sound like I am dismissing your concerns, however Kidney issue is not common at all or expected.

Certainly not permanent, as even with the predecessor of the drug the kidney concern if it did happen was reversible. Millions of people have and do take this drug including as PrEP without lasting Kidney concerns. One of the "but's" to that is not starting this med if you already have kidney problems as it can compound per-exsiting issues, but your doctor would have checked.

I suppose what I am saying is why are you anticipating an issue that is not really an issue for you, why? You doctor monitors your labs including kidney so if it did have an impact for you, you could switch. 

Have you spoken to your doctor about this concern and what did they say I wonder?

Anyhow research has shown that TAF is safer for the bones and kidneys than TDF. Because TAF more efficiently targets cells, a dose one tenth that of TDF is required, and 90 percent less drug winds up in the bloodstream, where it may cause harm.

Take it easy and good luck with the switch, i've added a link about TAF.

Keep working with your doctor.

Jim

https://www.poz.com/article/TDF-TAF-switch-27580-6994
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:10:26 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Tyler2017

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 11:13:35 pm »
I was actually switched from Truvada to Descovy (as part of a drug cocktail) because the Truvada was giving me beginning stage kidney disease, which has now been reversed in 2 months of Descovy.Truvada contains tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and Descovy contains the newer, tenofovir alafenamide. I went from throwing up every morning and generally nauseous, to going to school generally incident free. I would recommend ANYONE that is on Truvada as part of a drug cocktail to switch to Descovy.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 05:26:18 am »
Tyler, sorry to hear you had problems and glad you have the luxury of switching. Millions don't of course and will not have this issue or need to switch you had to start with.

The OP already is on Descovy if you read back the thread

Jim
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Azrael2012

• Say Hello! :D
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:03:26 pm »
Just starting Descovy tonight along with Efavirenz became of problems with kidneys and high cholesterol and I'm also being checked for Diabetes. Will know more in 4 weeks when I go back. Was on Atripla and switched to Truvada and Efavirenz. Truvada now gone and replaced with Descovy.

Offline Azrael2012

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:07:13 pm »
Just starting Descovy tonight along with Efavirenz became of problems with kidneys and high cholesterol and I'm also being checked for Diabetes. Will know more in 4 weeks when I go back. Was on Atripla and switched to Truvada and Efavirenz. Truvada now gone and replaced with Descovy.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:10:23 pm »
Good luck with the switch to Descovy.

Diabetes should be checked regularly for everyone and fingers crossed it will be okay when you check in 4 weeks or if anything still at a preventable stage with changes to lifestyle.

Jim
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:13:16 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Azrael2012

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 02:58:39 pm »
Thanks Jim,

Yeah I agree, everyone should be checked regularly for anaemia, high cholesterol, diabetes and how the hiv meds impact on their treatment. I've had various med switches over the years and some worked better than others. It's good to make sure that we all maintain a good relationship with their hiv team as they do listen and speaking from experience are eager to help. It's a win win for all I guess.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 03:05:03 pm »
Indeed.

Not just people living with HIV of course, the entire population should be getting checked more often for anaemia, high cholesterol, diabetes and blood pressure as its a common issues across the population particularly as we age.

As for us well people on nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NRTI) or protease inhibitor (PI) should be checked from time to time, that way early detection means they can switch if it ever becomes an issue, on the inflammation front not much we can do for the moment but what we all should all be doing far more to prevent problems is focusing on the controllable factors, so eating better, avoiding drink and cutting out the smoking and exercising more.

I get checked every 6 months, prehaps slightly over doing it  ;D however I had prediabetes a few years back (Lifestyle issues) so do tend to keep a closer eye on it.

Jim 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:21:40 pm by JimDublin »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.