Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 09, 2024, 06:02:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773453
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 390
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 322
Total: 326

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weird viral load tests  (Read 12032 times)

Offline Da2020

Weird viral load tests
« on: August 04, 2020, 08:07:14 pm »
Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed on Jul 1st and the VL was 57,200. I moved to a different city to be with family and met with a different doctor for treatment. They did a VL test again before starting treatment and it came out as 468,000. The two tests are only 8 days apart. I asked the doctor about it and they said it could be due to a difference in the testing assay, but they are both PCR tests and done by the same lab ( in different cities). Is it possible that my VL shot up 9x in less than 10 days?

Offline Matths

Re: Weird viral load tests
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 05:32:57 am »
Hi, while I’m not an infectious disease doctor or virologist, my interpretation of your labs is as follows: yes, this increase makes perfectly sense and seems to reflect a “new” infection. During the early phase of a new infection the viral replication follows an exponential increase, and not a linear increase. Good news in such situations is that you caught your infection relatively early and I assume you started treatment already. This will bring your VL down quickly and may also have a positive impact on the size of your viral reservoir. Good luck and keep us updated on your progress, best Matt

Offline Da2020

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 09:26:59 am »
Unfortunately my last known sexual contact was in December 2019 and my cd4 count is 140, done along with the second VL test. Not sure if this is a latest infection.

Offline virgo313

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 11:06:29 am »
Hello, I would suggest not to ponder too much on the difference VL results & move forward with starting medication. Your Dr will likely run another VL test few weeks after starting meds.

At this moment, what’s more important is meds plus Dr will have to include antibiotic as ur CD4 is below 200. This is important. VL Shd be owing downwards quickly once on medication.
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline Da2020

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 12:21:02 am »
Yep I have already started medication including the antibiotic. I m going to get a second set of tests next week.

Online harleymc

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 05:37:57 pm »
I despair at the frequency of testing newly diagned plwhs are subjected to.

Go on medications see how you're traveling 3 months later.  Any testing more frequently just adds to stress.

Offline Da2020

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 01:04:29 am »
Quick update, got my latest test results back today. VL down to 320 and cd4 count up to 214. Specimen collected on day 28 after the medication

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 06:23:09 am »
VL down to 320 in 28 days  :) That's a fantastic inital reduction of the VL.
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline virgo313

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 11:25:39 am »
Great result.. best of all, you will soon able to ditch the antibiotic. Congrats!
RVD Nov 2015. VL --> Log 5.32 HAART on 23/11/15
TDF+FTC+EFV / Chemo KS - 25/11/15 - 20/01/16.
CD4 - 4 (3/11/15) / VL - 225,000

Offline Da2020

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 05:34:29 pm »
I m going to talk to my doc next week. Hopefully they ll take me off the antibiotic

Offline Da2020

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2020, 12:44:02 am »
Posting an update VL down to 90. CD4 265. I m still on Bactrim. 2 months on meds. Can someone tell me how long did it take you to reach undetectable? I’m on Descovy + tivicay.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2020, 01:28:53 am »
Great results with the VL down to 90 copies.

Anything under 200 is considered UD in terms of transmission. All you have to do is keep it below 200 for 6 months by continuing to take the meds so you can't sexually pass it on. https://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=71848.0

Treatment wise, it generally accepted under 50 copies is fully suppressed/UD. Some labs can monitor lower levels. How long it takes to get there, well it can take people 6+ months. When I finally started treatment, I think it took about 3 months, but 90 is close, I'm sure you will get there soon  ;)

How are you feeling/doing otherwise?

Best, Jim

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/starting-hiv-treatment
https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/switching-hiv-treatment "How do I know if my treatment is not working?"
https://www.healio.com/news/infectious-disease/20190318/qa-understanding-persistent-lowlevel-viremia-in-people-with-hiv

HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline Da2020

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 06:51:48 pm »
Thanks Jim. I m hope I become undetectable pretty soon. I m feeling pretty shitty about life and completely lost. I m reading up a lot on hiv and researching cure articles to keep me going. They may or may not materialize but they are the only ones that keep me going

Offline Da2020

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 12:43:54 am »
Hi everyone I just got my lab work back and this is the result I got
‘ < 20 copies/mL,
‘HIV-1 RNA detected The reportable range for this assay is 20 to 10,000,000 copies HIV-1 RNA/mL’. I m not sure if it is undetectable yet but it is good to know it’s <20 copies.
Started my medication on July18th

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 01:05:21 am »
I m not sure if it is undetectable yet but it is good to know it’s <20 copies.

:) Yeah, the VL is supresssed (UD)

It's been a few months since your last update. How are you getting on? How are you feeling? Hope things are going well and, that you feeling less lost.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 01:09:06 am by Jim Allen »
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.