Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2024, 01:05:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772928
  • Total Topics: 66309
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 120
Total: 120

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Battling HIV Naturally  (Read 70300 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Battling HIV Naturally
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2015, 05:44:42 pm »
Still doesn't clarify if HART was offered to these people.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2015, 05:57:09 pm »
The study was designed in the early 2000's and carried out 2004, 2009. Which corresponds to the period in which access to HIV treatment was broadened widely in developing nations, with UN funds, USA funds, and even the beginning of private foundation monies.
In 2005, only half of the people who needed HIV treatment in Botswana had access to treatment.
From the late 90s well into the 2000's it was obvious there was effective treatment available in this world but not obvious how poor countries would access it.
If you know about the history of Africa and withholding of access, you will understand how revolting it was to do a study about vitamins, when such information was STILL being used as part of the BOGUS IMMORAL excuse for withholding access to HIV treatment, in many countries.
http://www.avert.org/hiv-aids-botswana.htm#footnote35_nhp2g6s

http://www.avert.org/universal-access-hiv-treatment.htm
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Lorenzopier

• 36 Years Poz via HAART & Micronutrient Technology.
« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2015, 09:30:56 pm »
In 2001 free HAART treatment became widely available in Botswana. In 2004 the  WHO recommendation was to offer treatment at 350 CD4 cells/mm³ or less. As a criteria to be eligible for the study all participants had to have cd4 cells at greater than 350 CD4 cells/mm. Even if they had not agreed to participate in the study they still would not have been offered HAART until there CD4 cells had dropped to 350.   

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #103 on: February 01, 2015, 09:42:26 pm »
In 2001 free HAART treatment became widely available in Botswana. In 2004 the  WHO recommendation was to offer treatment at 350 CD4 cells/mm³ or less. As a criteria to be eligible for the study all participants had to have cd4 cells at greater than 350 CD4 cells/mm. Even if they had not agreed to participate in the study they still would not have been offered HAART until there CD4 cells had dropped to 350.   

Why are you arguing so aggressively for this study when it is not significant to the treatment of HIV ? Do you want to give the impression that a bunch of vitamins are going to stave off HIV, because it will not yes, we have to say that loud and clear for those who come here and do not know it … like you . The study found that it had zero effect on the viral load and that makes vitamin therapy ineffective as an HIV treatment .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Lorenzopier

« Reply #104 on: February 01, 2015, 11:13:12 pm »
I do agree that nutraceuticals are totally ineffective when used as a agent to lower viral load, however for me they are a potently effective tool for controlling the side effects of HAART, which allows me to maintain 100% adherence to my hiv treatment program and as a result i am able to maintain an undetectable viral load. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 11:35:54 pm by Lorenzopier »

Offline zach

« Reply #105 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05:03 am »
For individuals who for whatever reason cannot access AVR or HAART this study suggests a very slight delay in disease progression.
http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20131126/multivitamins-may-help-fight-hiv-progression-study-suggests

I do agree that nutraceuticals are totally ineffective when used as a agent to lower viral load, however for me they are a potently effective tool for controlling the side effects of HAART, which allows me to maintain 100% adherence to my hiv treatment program and as a result i am able to maintain an undetectable viral load. 

pick a side, you're inconsistent and fence sitting... is it very slight, or totally ineffective?

nutraceuticals? sounds like a juice plus hoax

Offline Lorenzopier

« Reply #106 on: February 02, 2015, 12:22:10 am »
Nutraceuticals appear to have a very slight effect on delaying cd4 decline based upon the study. The study also points out that nutraceuticals are ineffective on hiv viral load.

Offline mecch

« Reply #107 on: February 02, 2015, 03:52:24 pm »
Fine. Which has nothing to do with the Botswana research. And hopefully in 2015 anyone there who is HIV+ has access to meds when needed and ready. 

Offline mecch

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2015, 03:53:46 pm »
Did you read the articles. It was not in fact available, only 50% of people who needed it then, got it then. Duh.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2015, 05:33:21 am »
One more reason to avoid supplements.

The authorities said they had conducted tests on top-selling store brands of herbal supplements at four national retailers — GNC, Target, Walgreens and Walmart — and found that four out of five of the products did not contain any of the herbs on their labels. The tests showed that pills labeled medicinal herbs often contained little more than cheap fillers like powdered rice, asparagus and houseplants, and in some cases substances that could be dangerous to those with allergies.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/02/03/new-york-attorney-general-targets-supplements-at-major-retailers/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 05:36:02 am by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #110 on: April 03, 2015, 01:07:02 pm »
Loved reading your post ChavinKnight.
Bubba hugs!

Offline zach

« Reply #111 on: April 03, 2015, 01:24:22 pm »
agenda much? you started a new thread about twigs and berries, and now you drag this one off the shelf.

where are you going with this?

in your thread i asked you this, and i'll ask again in much more broad terms.

what is your goal?

Offline BubbaPat

• Bubba hugs!
« Reply #112 on: April 03, 2015, 02:03:13 pm »
Excuse you?

I said I liked the post.  MY reasons….. that he started out with a holistic only approach but wrote the he realized that wasn't the way to go and is now taking his meds and being aware of his body and mind by exercising and being with friends and family who care AND this should be a place for positive reinforcement.  He saw that holistic was not an option for a number of reasons.  In the end.. I liked what he said and how he said it.

As for my "twigs and berries" post… I stated ADDING to treatment.  I'm curious as to what people use.  Meditation in the form of Yoga, martial arts, or simply sitting in quite, using incense, oils…what ever.  If or if NOT vitamins made people feel better.  Which ones they like or didn't like.  What foods or herbs they may have added that made them feel better.

t just wanted to know how other people are helping themselves and I didn't want to interrupt another person's thread.

I DID NOT EVER STATE that holistic was an ONLY option.

If we were having a conversation in person, I could understand you missing something I said.  Since this is a 'written' forum, I would hope that maybe…just maybe you'd go back and read things again to see if YOU missed something…not come out and attack me and accusing me of an 'agenda' or a "twigs and berries" thread.

If I wanted to be treated like a fifth class citizen, I'd go to Indiana wearing gay logo'd pink shirt a pride flag as a skirt.

Bubba hugs!

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2015, 04:22:06 pm »
agenda much? you started a new thread about twigs and berries, and now you drag this one off the shelf.

where are you going with this?

in your thread i asked you this, and i'll ask again in much more broad terms.

what is your goal?

Zach,

Take a deep breath my friend.  I read BubbaPat's post as he intended it, as an opinion on a post by another member.  There are no dragons here.

Joe

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #114 on: April 08, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »
Yeah! Amphetamines Are Hiding In Your Supplements

... and the FDA has known about it for years!
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #115 on: April 08, 2015, 01:22:57 pm »
Yeah! Amphetamines Are Hiding In Your Supplements

... and the FDA has known about it for years!

Wow, during the times I was ingesting diet aids I was actually a druggie.  :)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mecch

« Reply #116 on: April 08, 2015, 05:32:25 pm »
I fall in the 50% of humanity (?) attracted to stimulants.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jeffreyart

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2015, 01:30:21 am »
I think 30 years Hiv/Aids survivor I'm qualified to say something about this subject.

In all due respect to those affected: Hat's off to the ART meds since the first PI in 91 that changed everything! However, I think it notable that many, myself included were persuaded to go on the early ART's in the 80's and most all died. I came close.

My main point is if this guy is doing research on holistics it certainly can't hurt and there is plenty of evidence that many holistic meds do work with and without ART's.

I'm a survivor of the AZT trial in 87 (see Dallas Buyers Club). When that failed due to its toxicity I expanded my views and learned about holistics. Ozone therapy (oxygen) as it was called then must of helped, even doctors said then "whatever you're doing, its working" and it showed in my t-cells and overall health. I also learned about aloe very, garlic, juicing veggies and milk thistle to name a few. Milk thistle once made fun of by doctors is now being sold in many doctors offices.

Hep C treatment 6 years ago cured me. Hep and having had full blown Aids in 97 is not exactly healthy for the liver yet when a liver biopsy was taken my doctor said it was pink and healthy as a babies, and that's with all the partying I used to do.

Along with ozone therapy, I started taking milk thistle shortly after being diagnosed in 85 and when I felt my liver was overloaded i. e. early ART's, drinking too much etc I always took more milk thistle. No, there's no positive proof it was the milk thistle, there's also no way of knowing what these ART's are doing to our liver long term. I for one am sticking with ART's and holistics. My lastest gut problem may be cured again not by medicine or doctors but by a holistic treatment even some medical doctors are now using because it has a 90% cure rate for C. Diff, one nasty and deadly bacterial infection.

Unfortunately, the FDA doesn't approve FMT for past C. Diff infection only current so I'll be doing DIY FMT. Joy and icky but so is penicillin from mold. Hey I drank a quart of food grade hydrogen peroxide every night for 1 month back in the 80's (one of the ozone therapies) so I can do this. If it works and heals my very damaged gut like it has so many other gut illnesses I'll share it with everyone!

Offline zach

« Reply #118 on: May 01, 2015, 01:48:47 am »
bananas started this thread  ::)

Offline mecch

« Reply #119 on: May 01, 2015, 05:05:56 pm »
I'll vouch for the benefits of milk thistle though true that is not proof and I can't even know for myself.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2015, 04:45:23 am »
Does anyone remember the name of that silly fucker who insisted HIV wasn't the cause of his AIDS?

Lived in New York. Medications were the work of big pharma, borderline denialist -- he was a mad as a clown's cock.

Of course he's utterly dead.

Perhaps we can point the OP to those threads.

MtD

Offline DANIELtakashi

« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2015, 04:59:51 am »
I can't stand denialism.
The famous two women... their ideas make me feel sick.
Japanese National.
Language:  Japanese and English

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2015, 05:18:17 am »

Offline zach

« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2015, 08:53:44 am »
emery was a powerful reality lesson for me. all of that went down around the same time i joined this forum, and being from atlanta i know the church culture he was part of

Offline phenethylamine

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2015, 07:08:08 pm »
Just want to make a few points here...

1) antimicrobial is incredibly vague, it applies to both viruses and bacteria of which there are endless variations. Retroviruses aren't the same as regular viruses. Even different strains of the same virus require different treatments. Your logic is that if Lysol kills 99.9 % of bacteria... bacteria is a microbe...HIV is a microbe.. therefore toilet bowl cleaner helps HIV. It's truth distortion. "Help" is the most dangerous word in advertising as something can "help" yet be totally ineffective.

2) If HIV dies when exposed to "Allicin" in vitro. That's probably cause HIV needs the conditions of a living host (in vivo) to survive.  Therefore you could expose it to anything and it would still die.

3) It's a misconception that you can judge the viruses progression based on how healthy or sick you get. That's why you need to get scheduled blood tests. CD4's can drop silently and unknowingly in the background without you noticing or "feeling it" which is what makes it dangerous, sneaky and easily deniable.

4) I really hope your being honest with us, I've seen similar posts on youtube... and it makes me wonder if its a malicious attempt to cause harm by a religious fanatic/hate group.

Offline ianmx

« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2015, 01:54:50 pm »
everyone has the right to manage their healthcare in a way that makes them feel comfortable, they also have the right to share their experiences, but maybe be a little less combative.

if natural treatments are working for you, that is great. i would recommend blood tests more frequently, at least every 3 months, but that is up to you. i am a little concerned about your doctors knowledge in hiv where coming off meds is welcomed in exchange for eating bananas and garlic. hiv continually evolves, MAYBE that banana and garlic is helping you now, but hiv will realize you are playing games and get very angry with unknown consequences. meds attack the virus on all sides and keeps it guessing. banana and garlic will not change.

the original poster does bring up a good point, although not the point he was trying to bring up. what we eat does in fact have an overall effect on our bodies and hiv, there cannot be any dispute to that, so it isn't so far fetched to believe the right foods can also help fight the virus, but i recommend to err on the side of caution when deciding to come off all meds, there has been zero cases that show diet only can manage hiv, but many cases that show promise of a mix of diet and meds that are allowing people to live decades with hiv.

i have eaten very healthy, including bananas and garlic, both great antioxidants, yet i still contracted the virus. with that said, i was infected for 5 years before i felt any effects of hiv, most certainly due to my natural diet and exercise, so it would make sense that if you have controlled the virus with meds, then change your diet and exercise, that the virus would be spread much slower, but rest assure, you will find the need for meds again in your future. the question will be what damage have you done to your body with on and off again treatment? are you setting up the possibility of a mutation to a resistant hiv? if you are willing to take those risks then that is your choice, to the others, stay on meds but certainly look at your diet and add some natural antioxidant foods, fresh fruits and veggies, they will assist the drugs, just not replace them.

btw, fat redistribution is common with hiv even when not on meds. you might lose that if you have decided to eat a banana instead of a piece of cake. the banana didn't do it, the change in diet did. but if believing in the miracle of the banana is what motivates someone to eat healthier, more power to them... i am not willing to risk my health and put my faith into a banana, that is what landed me in this situation to begin with.  :P
i haven't lost all my marbles, but there is a hole in the bag.

Offline johnboy2015

« Reply #126 on: September 18, 2015, 05:10:53 pm »
There's an effort to "train your dragon!".  Think they made a movie.  However; each person responds in different way according to their physiology.  I've anything helps ONE person does not require it to be a standard practice.  Neither does it isolate that person for tribal stoning.  It's good to the heart to just share one experience in order to reach at least one other person it might make a profound meaning in their lives.
"Can't we just all get along"?
9th grade captain on HS Debate team.  I still have the certificate in my awards case!  haha

Offline ceerrece

« Reply #127 on: December 01, 2015, 10:58:57 pm »
Here's my simple advice: take your pills!! if you want to eat bananas, it's ok, maybe they could help, maybe not but please, take your pills man. It's that simple.

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2015, 10:29:55 pm »
Great nutrition is all well and good and can compliment HIV meds, but it cannot stave off the ill effects of the virus indefinitely.   I tried it and at the 10 year mark I had about 35 tcells, which was down from my original tcells of over 600.   I did not show signs of sickness til that last year.   So despite low tcells, you may not be getting sick or have typical low tcell symptoms, but then the wasting starts, the night sweats and the thrush.  Its gradual, but eventually it will kick your ass. 

If you are going this natural route , it would be good to find a doctor that would monitor your tcells and viral load.   I wish more doctors would be willing to do this.  There are some people that can go quite long without and I can see anyone's reasoning at not wanting to ingest these strong pharmaceuticals sooner.

Offline mecch

« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2015, 02:32:47 pm »
Great nutrition is all well and good and can compliment HIV meds, but it cannot stave off the ill effects of the virus indefinitely.   I tried it and at the 10 year mark I had about 35 tcells, which was down from my original tcells of over 600.   I did not show signs of sickness til that last year.   So despite low tcells, you may not be getting sick or have typical low tcell symptoms, but then the wasting starts, the night sweats and the thrush.  Its gradual, but eventually it will kick your ass. 

If you are going this natural route , it would be good to find a doctor that would monitor your tcells and viral load.   I wish more doctors would be willing to do this.  There are some people that can go quite long without and I can see anyone's reasoning at not wanting to ingest these strong pharmaceuticals sooner.

The reason to take treatment drugs ASAP is that the vast majority of scientists, researchers and doctor-practitioners have recommended this is the best way to fight HIV and live for the longest with the FEWEST health concerns.

Embedded in your text above MIGHT be the insinuation that treatment drugs are TOXIC and there is not information coming from my Swiss specialists that HIV treatment drugs are TOXIC or "strong" in the sense damaging.  1000s of health care professionals have weighed the Pros and Cons of treatment at diagnosis vs delayed treatment and the current recommendation is treatment at diagnosis.

One main reason that health systems are not going to monitor all HIV+ people's blood, multiple times a year, as a NATIONAL practice, is COST.  It would raise exponentially the total cost of treating a population's hiv infections

This is the same reasoning behind the difficulty of attaining drug level monitoring - testing how much of the HIV antivirals are in the system. 

Occasionally people come into these forums bemoaning that they cannot get a TAILOR MADE prescription of HIV antivirals, mgs, that suits his/her body size and his/her absorption. 

Well, that would be nice! Sure.  AGAIN, costs.  Everybody can not get this. 

Everybody cannot get 4 or 6 blood tests a year just because they would like to avoid treatment.  Which, anyway, delayed treatment is not the recommended treatment protocol by all the surgeon generals in all the rich countries (with the exception of UK - which is still ok waiting??). 

My personal observation chwhyoche is that your knowledge is a bit dated and does not take global issues into consideration.  Such as what cost society can afford.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:37:45 pm by mecch »

Offline chwhyoche

« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2015, 11:21:49 pm »
good point.   

I was thinking in an ideal world.  ;-)   I'm an idealist.  Gotta watch myself.

Perhaps my ideas are dated, but tides shift back and forth in thinking. 

1000's?   I would need a list and go through the studies, which I'm sure exist.  But 1000's seems ambiguous.   But really, I do get what you are getting at.   

Offline Orez

• Remembering Everyday the Error of One Day
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2016, 09:43:49 am »
Sean,

I see your last post was back in December 2014.  You last stated you just had a test done and was waiting for results.  What was the results of the test? Are you still off meds or did you have to restart meds?  Either way hope you are doing well.  BTW I am local to your area (If you still in the Indy area).  It has been almost a year since I found out I was POZ and went fro over a million to <20 in 10 months.
2016 Feb 15 - CD4=700; VL=8329600; CD%=38.9
2016 May 04 - CD4=?;    VL=90;     CD%=?     Stribild
2016 Aug 27 - CD4=810; VL=80;    CD%=35.2 Stribild
2016 Dec 17 - CD4=772; VL=<20;  CD%=38.6 Genvoya
2017 Apr 15 - CD4=905;  VL=40;    CD%=43.1 Genvoya
2018 Jan 04 - CD4=1458; VL=<20; CD%=48.6 Genvoya
2018 July 07- CD4=1264; VL=<20; CD%=48.6 Genvoya

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2016, 09:50:38 am »
Orez,

Welcome to the forum, I note that this is a zombie thread, and posts from long before current treatment guidelines to treat all and studies that have shown the effects of HIV even under controllers.

Anyhow most of the members from the thread have moved on and the thread is old so no reply is expected, so what i will do is lock the thread. As a newbie the best thing you can do is introduce yourself to the other members by starting your own thread, this way the active members can engage with you and support you.

You could consider this section for a new thread and introduction if you like.
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?board=16.0

Take it easy

Jim

« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:52:39 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.