Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:33:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 387
Total: 388

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: George Michael cuts HIV interview  (Read 21300 times)

Offline manchesteruk

George Michael cuts HIV interview
« on: September 20, 2007, 05:12:15 pm »
hmmmmmm.......

I'll do my best to get this documentary over to some of you in US when it's been shown here.  Stephen Fry is making it so I'm expecting it to be good.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7004734.stm

Pop star George Michael has asked for an interview in which he discusses his fears of having HIV to be removed from a forthcoming BBC programme.

The BBC has confirmed the interview will no longer feature in the documentary, Stephen Fry: HIV and Me.

Michael's former partner, Anselmo Feleppa, died of an Aids-related illness in 1995.

"On reflection, he felt it was too close and too personal a journey," said a spokesman for the singer, 44.

He added: "It was too personal for Anselmo's family to revisit."

'No tests'

When the documentary was launched in July, the BBC revealed details of Michael's interview.

"George says he does not believe in tests," said producer Ross Wilson.

"He says he finds the wait for results too harrowing and that he hasn't had a test since at least 2004 due to his fears it might be positive."

The two-part programme will examine how HIV is spreading and show Fry taking an HIV test himself.

Michael is still set to appear in this year's festive edition of Catherine Tate's BBC comedy programme.

In June, he became the first singer to perform at the new Wembley Stadium, nearly seven years after the last concert at the London venue.

One day before the gig, he was sentenced to 100 hours of community service and banned from driving for two years after pleading guilty to driving while unfit.

The star blamed "tiredness and prescribed drugs" for the offence.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Dan J.

Re: George Michael cuts HIV interview
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 05:17:12 pm »
How sad, he would rather wait  & get sick to find out than knowing early. Waiting a few seeks for a test result is better than ending up in the hospital with a life threatening O.I.

Just get the test & know for sure...

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 05:39:22 pm »
yeah, very sad. you would think george michael personally knew or knows at least a half dozen people who suffered with AIDS and saw the devastation first hand   :-[

Offline poz1970

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 05:53:19 pm »
yeah, very sad. you would think george michael personally knew or knows at least a half dozen people who suffered with AIDS and saw the devastation first hand   :-[

Lets default to "living with aids" ?

J
"The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to  heterosexuals. That doesn`t mean that God doesn`t love heterosexuals. It`s just that they need more supervision." -- Lynn Lavne

Offline komnaes

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 09:59:05 pm »
I grew up listening to him and remains a fan. He's not much older than me, and though I didn't struggle with my sexuality like he did I do feel I can relate to him about the fear (which can only mean that he must have done something risky since his last test). There are lots of discussions about younger gay men (18-25) getting infected but many of us in the older age range are always being told that we should have known better not to do anything risky, but still many of us slided.

His interview could have served as a wake-up call to many people. Not that I want to hear anymore celebrities like Andy Bell of Erasure confirming their status, but just the fact that someone can like George Michael discusses this fears and worries could have made many of us in the same age range reflecting more on our own situations and choices we make. Alas it's too late for me.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Lis

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 11:20:55 pm »
some folks aren't strong enough to face the music...

just sayin...
poz 1986....

Offline joemutt

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 11:53:25 pm »
George Michael is just another human being and he's entitled to the same fears and worries as the rest of us.
At least he has considered talking about and it s a decision only he can make.
Maybe he's just one of the many here bitching away in the cold comfort of anonimity.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 12:04:31 am »
Being someone as famous as he's it must be a luxuary to be able to remain anonimity so if he's indeed reading or writing here and getting some comfort good for him. I know I am getting a lot of comfort and encourage, though at the end of the day it's still our own private virus that we're dealing with.

I just hope he's dealing with whatever emotions that are troubling him. 'Jesus to a child' is probably the best 'pop song' ever written about friends/lovers lost to AIDS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0egWXAPGVOo

Shaun
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 12:14:28 am by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 12:16:48 am »
yeah, very sad. you would think george michael personally knew or knows at least a half dozen people who suffered with AIDS and saw the devastation first hand
Lets default to "living with aids" ?

Unfortunately for those of us that lived through the 80s and early 90s (including GM), what we saw were people were "suffering" with AIDS and many, many were "dying". Thankfully, these times they are a-changing. :D

Looking at this in that historical context though, it does seem irresponible of GM's own health care for him to not get tested. He did see people "suffering with AIDS"; but knows that now, with proper medication, it can be "living with AIDS".

I could almost understand not getting tested years ago. When an AIDS diagnosis meant death within 18 months, I don't know that I can fault anyone for not wanting to know that. However, everyone's heard of the "one pill a day", "chronic manageable illness" descriptions now. So getting a tested in this day and time and testing positive, isn't an immediate death sentence anymore, but a chance to take pro-actice steps in your health care.

Trust me as one that knows from the early 90s, it's never fun to learn you have AIDS because you're so sick that you've been hospitalized. And especially not today, when you could have prevented (or at least postponed) that kind of illness with early, proper HIV treatment.

In the grand scheme of things, none of us like to get tested - be it for HIV, diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, etc., the list is endless it seems - and we're all fearful for the results. Every test result "could" be the one to drastically change your life. But you can make with change on better terms knowing your status upfront so that you give your illness the proper treatment. Knowledge=power.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline carousel

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 05:03:16 am »
I suppose he wants to spend his time getting banged by old men on Hampstead Heath, while necking G.  I'm sure his ex's family look on with pride, when they see how dignified George has dealt with his grief.

What aggrevates me is that he agreed in the first place to appear and then withdrew.  It just feels spineless and ill thought out.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 06:27:22 am »
I was pretty damned disappointed in this news too.

I'm also in this documentary - and I bet you anything that if I'd had second thoughts after I'd signed the papers (which I'm SURE GM had to sign as well) they would have told me to take a running jump.

Good thing I didn't decide to chicken out, eh?

I don't believe for a minute his real reason for pulling out has anything to do with his partner's family. I'm betting it's to do with the fact that his status remains unknown - and he probably figures people will assume his real reason for refusing to test is because he's already tested positive.

That's my rather jaded take on it, anyway.

Ann

PS - I'm also wondering if GM pulling out of this documentary has anything to do with the delayed transmission date. It was supposed to happen over two weeks in mid-September (it's a two-parter), but there is still no firm date for it to air. If GM IS behind the delay, then boy, am I really pissed off. My segment was filmed on March 9th and it's not been altogether easy waiting all these months for the other shoe to drop, so to speak. Having to wait these extra few weeks has been a real pain in my arse. Seriously.

George Michael, you're a prat.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 06:33:19 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline komnaes

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2007, 06:43:07 am »
Hi Ann

You've been interviewed by Stephen Fry?! I LOVE that guy so do tell more about your interview. Fry has done a rather amazing documentary on depression with the BBC earlier so I am really looking forward to this one on HIV. When will that documentary be aired in the UK? Too bad for us the only way to watch it is to download it through BT or something.

Back to George, as a fan I tend to defend him too much no matter what he does but it does seem he's turning into a one man circus lately with all the mishaps in public places and other PR disasters. From all the recent interviews I have read it also seems he's been dealing with a lot of self-destructiveness that I can really related to.

I just hope we don't have to add him to a growing list of known gay celebrities like Andy Bell declaring their HIV + status (i.e. actually not getting infected).

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2007, 08:30:07 am »
I don't know what George Michael has been through in his personal life but he's making a bad decision by not being tested. As we all know it is best to know your status early so your immune system doesn't totally bottom out before you start treatment. Personally I respect the people on this forum who haven't stuck their head in the sand when they have been diagnosed or dealt with other problems.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 08:32:03 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2007, 08:46:28 am »
Yes, Stephen Fry was in my living room. Too bad I moved out of the flat that weekend - I could have sold tickets so people could "sit on the couch where Stephen Fry sat". ;D

I'm in the following trailer:

http://dcdmedia.co.uk/special_westPark.asp

They used a bit where I'm ranting on about condoms, as per usual. ;D It was from early on in the interview, when I was still a little nervous - that's why I talk a little haltingly. A few minutes later he asked me if the straight men I know were infected via MSM, I went off on him (shaking my finger at him and everything LOL) and the ice was well and truly broken. The producer loved it, but whether it makes it into the finished product, I haven't a clue.

The now-infamous front page of the Manx Independant "Town Rocked by HIV Alert" also makes it into the trailer - at the tail end of the segment showing newspaper articles.

Oh, and the bit where they filmed me sitting on a wall looking cold and pissed off, well, I WAS cold and pissed off. It was a cold and rainy early March day, after all!

I've been trying to write a blog about this experience for ages, but I keep going off on rants and tangents - hijacking my own blog. ::)

I wish they'd just air the damned thing already. Bring it on, mofo's!

Ann

PS - Mr Fry is a VERY big man. He was sort of crouching down when this photo was taken. If he was standing fully upright, my nose would be level with his nipples. Or thereabout.  :o

[attachment deleted by admin]

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2007, 08:50:38 am »
Oh, and another thing. The (also two-part) documentary Mr Fry did on bipolar illness was excellent, very sensitively handled. It was for this reason I agreed to be in the documentary as I felt I could trust Mr Fry as well as the production team, the same team involved in the bipolar documentary.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline komnaes

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2007, 08:58:09 am »
Thanks Ann!

I read somewhere just now that it will be aired during the first week of October. Have they promised to send you a VHS or DVD?

Yes, that docu on depression is amazing and I can't wait to see this one, because you're in it too!

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2007, 09:12:23 am »
Hi Komnaes,

I've seen the reference to the first week in October too, but no firm date yet. It should have aired last week and this week. I've been putting off calling my contact with the production team, just because I procrastinate like that sometimes. ;D I just might get my shit together and do it today. Then again, I might not. ~sigh~

I'm supposed to receive a couple sets of DVDs and I've also requested they send a set to Sahir House (the ASO I'm a member of in Liverpool) because they use this type of documentary for volunteer training aids. I'm hoping they follow through on this promise, but I won't know until after it airs.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline komnaes

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2007, 09:28:59 am »
Thanks Ann

I am soooooo jealous though.. talking to Stephen Fry! I think he's one of the best living comedians and gay public intellectuals of my generation. I am glad to see that he has taken a step further by making this docu on HIV after the one on bipolar and depression. The latter helps me understand a lot more about one of best friends' condition - he's bipolar and only found out he's been suffering from it for years at the age of 37. We all had a hard time dealing with his mood swings and kept thinking that he was only turning into a spoiled brat.

Maybe we can ask our friends in the UK to help record it and put it up on youtube or something - the BBC is not like the US broadcasting corps, they don't aggressively take down their contents on sites like youtube.

Shaun
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 09:31:24 am by komnaes »
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2007, 12:34:04 pm »

George Michael, you're a prat.

But don't forget how nice his hair was in "Careless Whisper"
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2007, 12:39:01 pm »
Oh, and one of you over there need to figure out how to TIVO this show and put up a torrent file somewhere.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2007, 12:48:35 pm »
Thanks for the trailer Ann it looks an interesting documentary and seems to cover all the topics you'd want it to especially stigma etc.  Philly I'll definitely be able to get it uploaded on the net for you when it's been shown over here.

Chris
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 01:31:43 pm »
Cheers sweetie darling.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 04:11:30 pm »
I definitely look forward to seeing Ann, and the overall documentary.

As for George Michael - part of me actually appreciates the human factor of not wanting to know your results....but that understanding ends when someone who has been in front of the camera as long as he has decides to state that in an interview and then want his clip pulled after the fact.

It is not like the documentary was done guerrilla style, was it?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 04:25:27 pm »

It is not like the documentary was done guerrilla style, was it?

Nope, they even said please and thank-you.

And Mr Fry was ever so charming. He's a lovely man; down-to-earth and very easy to talk to.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2007, 04:37:29 pm »
bugger..I know 3 people in this film, not counting the erudite, charming Mr Fry, bipolar, yes, that was a mouldbreaker, interested to see how it comes out..not so keen on the CSI music though..I am sure the voices will win over (hope)

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2007, 11:19:16 am »
George Michael makes beautiful music.....
but the poor lad hangs out in public lavatories way too much
for my taste.... so much for being a role model for his fans.

and I have such fond memories of WHAM!

Modified to add:

Ann is my hero........
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 11:21:56 am by david25luvit »
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline komnaes

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2007, 11:21:58 am »
Thanks for the trailer Ann it looks an interesting documentary and seems to cover all the topics you'd want it to especially stigma etc.  Philly I'll definitely be able to get it uploaded on the net for you when it's been shown over here.

Chris

Please let me know too Chris!

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline komnaes

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2007, 11:25:11 am »
But don't forget how nice his hair was in "Careless Whisper"

That hair.. he stole it from Lady Di or she stole it from him?  :D
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2007, 12:20:47 pm »
That hair.. he stole it from Lady Di or she stole it from him?  :D

Not sure, but Miss Michaels was such a prima dona (closeted of course!) that he had the entire video re-shot because his hair was not perfect the first go around.

Tee hee. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2007, 12:25:32 pm »
Isn't George Michael still married to that guy?  I don't pay much attention to him, but LOVE the breathless reporting on Hampstead Heath shenanigans and repeated arrests for driving while in a K-Hole, or whatever it is she's doing.  He's obviously in a big ole Shame Spiral™ and frankly the larger scandal is how the hubby hasn't staged some sort of intervention.  He must be a Stepford Hubby.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2007, 12:08:36 am »
Isn't George Michael still married to that guy?  I don't pay much attention to him, but LOVE the breathless reporting on Hampstead Heath shenanigans and repeated arrests for driving while in a K-Hole, or whatever it is she's doing.  He's obviously in a big ole Shame Spiral™ and frankly the larger scandal is how the hubby hasn't staged some sort of intervention.  He must be a Stepford Hubby.

Yeah, he's still with his partner Kenny Goss are still together, though I don't think they're "married".

One interesting observation though is we seem to expect more from our gay celebrities/models. Elton John set the gold standard by being a real mess in the 70s/80s with drugs, denials etc but then completely turned around by becoming the patron saint of other troubled gay artists (Rufus Wainwright, etc) and one of the most influential fund raisers and advocates for AIDS' courses. Anyone else that falls short of the Elton's (or Ian McKellen's, Stephen Fry's) standard we seem to disapprove. While some straight celebrities can drink and drug themselves to actually look like they have some terminal diseases (Keith Richard looks worse than most of friends who have been on treatment for over 20 years) it's somehow perfecly ok or at least no one expects them to turn around and embrace some worthy courses like Elton John does.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2007, 12:24:56 am »
Well, I don't know if it's expectations and certainly makes no difference in the analysis from my point of view whether they're straight or not.  Look at Britney, etc.  I guess the way I look at it, is that you know going into fame that you will be scrutinized.  That's just the way it is -- you're going to be more like an open book in many respects.  It's just most of these people get addicted to fame, and desire more and more headlines, and then when they're lives spiral out of control they have no way to manage the spotlight.  There are many celebs that manage to compartmentalize their private lives a bit more effectively whether they're messy or not in private.  I suppose GM could certainly be messier, but really driving under the influence repeatedly has the potential for catastrophe.

I'm certainly not implying that my past personal life has been any less messier than George Michael's.  Well, OK it has been but only marginally so :)

I hope you're not implying that I should refrain from a hearty chuckle at their press coverage, because that's full of it.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2007, 12:47:55 am »
I hope you're not implying that I should refrain from a hearty chuckle at their press coverage, because that's full of it.

Nope, not implying anything, not me... :P

But seriously, going back to the beginning of this thread we were talking about him backing away by not allowing his interview with Stephen Fry to be aired. And for whatever reasons this move will not make things better for him. Let's just hope we see his "turn around" moment soon.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2007, 12:52:02 am »
i couldn't care less about GM's lack of balls.

I'm glad this thread led to the discovery of this documentary though.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2007, 12:52:50 am »
Nope, not implying anything, not me... :P

But seriously, going back to the beginning of this thread we were talking about him backing away by not allowing his interview with Stephen Fry to be aired. And for whatever reasons this move will not make things better for him. Let's just hope we see his "turn around" moment soon.

Shaun

By the part I placed in bold do you mean in the press, with fans or on a personal level?  Personally I could care less, it's his business.  He's not hurting anyone else, whereas driving under the influence can kill others. 

Offline komnaes

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2007, 01:13:53 am »
By the part I placed in bold do you mean in the press, with fans or on a personal level?  Personally I could care less, it's his business.  He's not hurting anyone else, whereas driving under the influence can kill others. 

I think on all those levels - man, I don't know him personally but I said before that I am a fan so I tend to defend him too much. And some of us do care about how he's doing.

As for driving under the influecne, yeah that was exceptionally irresponsible but he was arrested and punished accordingly, and with a criminal record I think he's banned from entering the US. As long as he doesn't do it again I think he got what he deserved already.

Shaun
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2007, 07:25:42 am »
For the record, I don't think I was expecting more out of GM just because he's gay or whatever. I'm just pissed off because he has the clout to withdraw from the documentary after it was already ready to air. I'm quite sure that if I'd tried to pull out after signing that magical permission form, I would have been told to take a hike. GM would have signed a similar contract, I'm sure.

I'm pissed off because for me, this is prolonging the agony. I want the damned thing to air already so I can deal with whatever fall-out there may be. I got myself all pysched up for it to have been over and done with by now, but here I am still waiting, still on tenterhooks.

George Michael, you're a prat. Prat, prat, prat. Hmph. You should have thought it through before you ever agreed to appear. I did! Maybe you were just too stoned that day, eh? Sheesh!

Ann
(who is no respecter of celebrity - I even shouted at Stephen Fry!) ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Tempeboy

• Like St Francis of Assisi I am wedded to Poverty
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2007, 07:50:48 am »
Let us not forget:

Too Funky - George Michael - 1992

Dedicated to raising money and awareness to fight the onslaught of HIV/AIDS.

Pop star George Michael was instrumental in bringing the project to fruition and the album George Michael - Too Funky from The Album Red Hot + Dance, an album produced by the Red Hot Organization, an organization dedicated to raising money and awareness to fight the onslaught of HIV/AIDS.

Pop star George Michael was instrumental in bringing the project to fruition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXj2TudPCYU
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 07:54:08 am by Tempeboy »
Roughly roundabout somewhere in the eighteenth or nineteenth century, Sodomite begat Homosexual out of moral, medical and legal models, bequeathing him Identity, who inbred with Nuclear Family and Industrialism to spawn Homophobia.

Dean Kiley

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2007, 09:01:42 am »
Let's not forget that 1992 was fifteen years ago.

As the song goes, "what have you done for me lately?"

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 09:23:42 am »
Ann- So there is no air date/time/channel yet?  I would like to watch it.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2007, 09:42:26 am »
Hi Cliff,

I just had a look to see if they've set the date yet, and it doesn't look like they have. I did find the following, which confirmed my suspicion that it's down to Georgie-boy that it hasn't aired yet. (it also answers Philly's question)

Michael, 44, asked the BBC to remove the interview, citing sensitivities over his former partner, Anselmo Feleppa, who died of an Aids-related illness in 1995. A spokesman for Michael said: "On reflection, he felt it was too close and too personal a journey. It was too personal for Anselmo's family to revisit."

The programme has been reedited and given a new transmission date next month. The singer said that he planned to form a civil partnership with his partner, Kenny Goss.

Nobody seems to be saying WHEN the "new transmission date" is. ::)

Oh wait, hold the press - according to the pinknews.co.uk, the first part of Stephen Fry: HIV and Me will be broadcast on BBC2 on Tuesday 2nd October.

I'm planning to ring the producer tomorrow - and hopefully get confirmation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Cliff

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2007, 09:45:46 am »
ok, thanks...If you find out anything let us know.  I'll try to catch it (though I'm sure it will rerun at some point).

Did you see the Elton John thingie?  I caught some of it last night.  It was good (not much on AIDS though....but it did chronicle the start of his foundation and Ryan White).

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2007, 09:54:08 am »
No, I missed Sir Elton. I haven't watched any telly in a few weeks now - I got fed up with the crap that's been on recently and just unplugged the damned thing. Sorry I missed that particular program though, sounds like it was interesting.

I'm not sure when the Fry thingy will re-run; they still haven't re-run the bipolar thingy he did and that's been a year ago now.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2007, 10:05:31 am »
I'm just pissed off because he has the clout to withdraw from the documentary after it was already ready to air. I'm quite sure that if I'd tried to pull out after signing that magical permission form, I would have been told to take a hike.

You're just an unimportant member of the Little Person Brigade™ :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2007, 10:11:32 am »
You're just an unimportant member of the Little Person Brigade™ :)

Oh poo, is that the problem? I thought it was being a paid-up member of the Lollipop Guild.  :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2007, 10:18:05 am »
Oh poo, is that the problem? I thought it was being a paid-up member of the Lollipop Guild.  :-\

That's one house away from the Lipo-Gut Society, no?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2007, 10:21:20 am »
That's one house away from the Lipo-Gut Society, no?

Got it in one.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline gemini20

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2007, 10:38:02 am »
I'm pissed off because for me, this is prolonging the agony. I want the damned thing to air already so I can deal with whatever fall-out there may be. I got myself all pysched up for it to have been over and done with by now, but here I am still waiting, still on tenterhooks.

Just in case it helps to reduce 'the agony', when I was one of the 3 women featured in the BBC2 'Positive Women' documentary back in 2002 I was a bit anxious about the 'fall-out' too but honestly there was none. Even the next day after the broadcast when nearly every newspaper had a photo of me to accompany the TV reviews, no one even noticed me! I had lots of supportive phonecalls and emails and I know the BBC received many emails from positive women who were very grateful to discover they were not alone.

The only negative response I ever received was from my own mother who has chosen to cut me out of her life following the broadcast as I'm an 'embarrassment' to the family!

I also had to wait 3-4 times before the broadcast actually went ahead so I can definitely understand your frustration about the delays.

The Stephen Fry bipolar documentary has recently been shown again on BBC3 and I know that my programme is available to buy from BBC education resources (£99 though!) so i expect this programme will go the same way in time.

Best wishes for when it do go to air

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2007, 10:45:32 am »
Hi Emma,

You're in that documentary? I watched it when it aired and I think I may even still have it on tape - I'll have a dig later. One woman in that docu really stuck in my mind - the one who bought a simple wooden coffin and was keeping it in her living room - I think she stored her LPs in it. She was having a difficult time dealing with side-effects and decided to not take the meds - was that you?

And thank you for your supportive words. I have a good feeling about this that there won't be much negativity to deal with, but I just won't know until it's out there. I know I'll be able to deal with it regardless, but as Tom Petty would say, "the waiting is the hardest part."

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline gemini20

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2007, 10:55:44 am »
Hi Ann,

Yep, that's me with the coffin and it's still here in my living room with the LPs still in it!

Making the programme was still one of the best decisions I ever made and knowing that I helped just one positive woman to realise she was not alone made it worthwhile.

The uncertainty of how people will respond is a stress but like you say you'll be able to deal with it regardless so hopefully you won't have any to test you.

Emma
Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.