Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:41:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: flu vaccinations for us pozzies  (Read 25388 times)

Offline next2u

flu vaccinations for us pozzies
« on: November 02, 2011, 12:53:59 am »
do you get the flu shot? im on the fence but have an appointment to get one on Thursday. I also have to get my pneumonia booster next year.

i dont get the flu shot every year but i remember hearing it recommended time and time again for us pozzies. since im now undetectable (gotta love flashing that around) should i still get it? do you still get it?

i get the vaccination irregularly, like once every 3 years or so. i've had the flu twice in the last 10 years (knock on wood, stroke some wood, knock on wood again) but i dunno if ill go through with it this year.

too many conspiracy theories out there. my immune system has worked fine and i dont want to weaken it anymore over the long run. dunno, just fishing for thoughts.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: flu vaccinations for us pozzies
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 01:17:53 am »
*sigh*
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 02:17:15 am »
I haven't gotten mine yet.  Went to get it, but office had closed early.  I plan to get it this week.  What conspiracy theories are you talking about?  Flu shots are some gov't plan to make us sick or inject us with trackers?...lol.  The only thing I dread about it is that I usually feel rundown for a few days after getting it with ringing in the ears.  This was especially true with the H1N1 vaccine in 2009.  But, it may just be all in my head and it wasn't really that bad. 

My partner just got his last week and got the bowel issues the next day, but could have been a coincidence.  The question I have is whether we should get the more potent vaccine they give to seniors.  I hadn't heard they had a more potent version until this year and seeing it reported on the news.  From what they reported, seniors should get the more potent one because their immune systems don't create a good response often times.  And, that is the case with us often times.  They also reported a study that said the vaccine doesn't really work that well to reduce the chances of seniors getting the flu or dying from it.  So, I wonder what studies have been done on us.  In any event, I would rather take something that gives me some protection rather than none at all.     

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 02:19:55 am »
As far as I under stand it now your  V/L is back to undetectable you at last have the chance for the flu shot to have its best result,offering protection from an flu attack which will really attack your system. To me this does not seem the time to stop at all.

Far too many people call a  bad cold  flu,
The flu virus can be a Killer,it is also At least 1to 2  weeks off extremely depleting illness , so why on earth risk it.

mhtv
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 03:04:40 am »
I've been undetectable for 10 years. My last CD4 was 1,040 something.

I got my flu shot a month ago.

Never miss them

HUGS,

Mark

Edited because spell check doesn't cure all poor typing skills.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 11:58:51 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline edfu

"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 07:42:35 am »
Why WOULD you want to get a flu shot?  Avoiding it will allow you to catch the flu and spends days or weeks in bed feeling like you got hit by a bus.  Or even better -- you could be one of the thousands of people in the US who die from influenza each and every year.

You know -- contrary to popular belief -- some questions ARE dumb!

Get the damned shot.

M

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:16:48 am »
1. do you get the flu shot?

2. too many conspiracy theories out there.

3. my immune system has worked fine and i dont want to weaken it anymore over the long run.

1. Yes
2. Yes there are and this is not one of them.
3. I don't get it. How is getting a flu shot weakening your immune system?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 09:23:16 am »
yes i got mine about 3 weeks ago...no issues...
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 09:41:46 am »
+2

+3  ??? get a dam flu shot "D", what's the hell is wrong with you, do I have to come to L.A. and kick your butt  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 12:36:06 pm »
Where I work you get a flu shot or you are no longer able to work. Period. You can't even get out of it with a note from an MD unless you have a documented medical condition.

Offline Lugzsoo

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »
Yes got mine like 2weeks ago never got one before till now.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2011, 12:49:05 pm »
I get them because of my workplace and used to get them before that when I was in a non-mandatory setting.

Was recently tipped off by someone doing research in flu vaccines this year's flu is predicted to pack quite a punch.

I've been getting them for years. Pre and post-dx.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2011, 12:57:04 pm »
I lost over 700 t-cells when I had the misfortune to get swine flu a couple of years ago, when the vaccine had yet to appear on the market. Fortunately I could spare that many of my little worker bees but the rest of you foul pozzies wouldn't be so lucky now would you?

Otherwise I've gotten a flu shot for 18 seasons in a row and haven't gotten the "normal" flu during that period. Nor has that "weakened my immune system over the long run" (whatever the ridiculous fuck that means, nextie)

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2011, 01:11:27 pm »

Dee,

I've been positive close to 7 years and have not had a bout with the flu since thanks to my yearly flu shot.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2011, 01:30:58 pm »
I lost over 700 t-cells when I had the misfortune to get swine flu a couple of years ago, when the vaccine had yet to appear on the market. Fortunately I could spare that many of my little worker bees but the rest of you foul pozzies wouldn't be so lucky now would you?

Otherwise I've gotten a flu shot for 18 seasons in a row and haven't gotten the "normal" flu during that period. Nor has that "weakened my immune system over the long run" (whatever the ridiculous fuck that means, nextie)

Is your Blood type 0+ like mine is? if so, I want a Blood transfusion from you  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2011, 06:42:53 pm »
I never get a flu shot. My doc says it is better to boost my immune system then to get a shot.
I also never got the flu.

xxx
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2011, 07:37:45 pm »
I never get a flu shot. My doc says it is better to boost my immune system then to get a shot.

xxx

That's the absolute first time I have ever heard that statement.  Please show me the science to back this up.

Boosting your immune system is ludicrous. You CANNOT "boost" your immune system to prevent the flu. You CAN take steps (washing/sanitizing hands, telephones, doorknobs et al) to prevent it.

But it's ALWAYS better to be immunized.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2011, 07:48:20 pm »

I've always received the flu shot. ( some of them with a detectable viral load, back in the early 2000,s) I received this years on October 1st.  Get a flu shot. It does a body good.

Ray 8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bocker3

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 07:50:16 pm »

xxx

The shot is what will "boost" your immune system -- it will boost it by producing antibodies against the suspected strains of influenza in circulation at that time.

Mike

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 07:59:56 pm »
I am the living proof that you don't need a flu vaccine (in my case). As said, never had one since 1995 , never got the flu, although people around me got infected. Vaccination lowers your own immune system and has caused so many deaths as well.
I had no vaccines given since 1992.

Of course I agree  you can be cautious to prevent infection.

I am treated by an hiv doc and an homeopatic medical doctor.
That combo works great for me.
I had antibiotics once since 1995. ( to treat a horse bite)
Never have been really sick ever since.

Immuneboosting surely can be done by homeopathic drugs. That is the whole idea of it.

You are free to choose  your way of treatment. For me this combo has worked the best.
I am in very good shape, drink red wine very regularly, but take care of what I eat and do yoga and trekking a lot. And I started university again this year. It surely only made me stronger.

And ... my two docs are no fools. They each know I am treated both ways and they compliment each other . I only benefit from it.

xx
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 08:10:47 pm »
Thats facinating. You should study the spanish flu of 1918.  It was the young, healthy, people with strong immune systems who died.  All the yoga and organic vegetables wont help a bit if you ever do contract a highly virulent strain of influenza. 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline MiniPozToyota

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 09:02:44 pm »
YES get the flu shot, not the mist up the nose though only the shot, my Dr's are all military and pretty well experience when it comes to HIV, and what vac to get and not get. Congrads on UD :)
April 2010- tested neg.
April 1 2011 -  CD4 346 VL 46856 22%
July 27 2011- Started Atripla
(Meds are good) needed more space to update been UD now for three years. Current down below
Jun 5 2014 - CD4 704 VL UD % 44.0

Offline wolfter

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 09:55:50 pm »
It's a conspiracy by our government officials and the big pharmaceutical companies.  OH Sorry, wrong thread. ;D

I think many of us get annoyed that such topics haven't been put to rest.  But we need to be mindful that we've had a lot longer to ingrain this knowledge.

That said, HIV+ people are ones who should get the flu shot.  Catching the flu will wreck more havoc on your immune system than the shot ever will.  I think I'm especially grateful for getting mine this year.  It seems every other person I come in contact with is sick.  Why people go spread that crap is beyond me too but that's another thread.

Now go get your dang shot! ;)

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline olliederp

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 10:11:57 pm »
My doctor gave me one four days after I was diagnosed and I was just fine. This was in september and as I've ust recently caught the illness I have a high viral load. If I was ok you should be ok is what I'm trying to get at here.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 11:25:23 pm »
My best friend since about 2 years-old lives with us.  He's in a nursing program.  What I find so interesting is that they require him to get Hep A and B, tetanus, etc, etc, but they don't require him to get the flu vaccine.  The flu kills so many each year--more than those others.  So, I don't understand the logic.  I remember during the H1N1 ordeal, New York required medical workers to get it and many of them protested.  I believe I have the state correct. 

He says he is feeling like he is getting sick now.  My partner got his flu shot.  I'm getting mine before the end of the week.  I asked my friend/roommate to get a flu shot.  He said he didn't need it and it would take forever to get into the VA to get one.  He was in the military.  I told him he can get one at most pharmacies for $20.  He said he didn't have the money.  I said I would pay for it.  I have not told him I'm HIV poz.  So, he asks why I'm so concerned about it.  I told him he remembers when I got so sick after a mild flu a few years ago.  He said he would get it.  My partner is a teacher, so he's around all the little germ factories.  And, now our roommate will be around many sick folks.  I prefer to make sure we're as protected as we can be.  I should have already gotten mine.   

Offline wolfter

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 11:46:12 pm »
  What I find so interesting is that they require him to get Hep A and B, tetanus, etc, etc, but they don't require him to get the flu vaccine.   

When I was in nursing school and every job I had in the nursing field only required the flu shot.  I can't believe how many people in the medical profression believes all misinformation about the dangers of a flu shot.  Hell, they went to school too but must not have been there that day.

Wolfie....who has never had the flu in his life.  (thankfully!)
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Robert

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 12:42:42 am »
D

Since I've been positive I've had a bout of flu only once and that was when I gave in to my Dr's demand and took the damn shot.  Same results when I was growing up and my father gave the family flu shots every year.  Inevitably, my mother and I got sick. (My father and 5 brothers never got sick...so 2 out of 8 (25%) got sick.  Not bad.

Whatever the stats and posters might say, though, I can't recommend it.

Offline jacken

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 12:56:53 am »
Got my flu shot two weeks ago. That night I had a low-grade fever. I was worried but the next day I was fine. It could be just the side effect of the shot.

Offline Growler

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2011, 01:19:36 am »
I started getting regular flu shots when I started nursing back in the dark ages. This year I missed my regular shot due to the chaos and a month ago I got the flu for the first time since forever! Fortunately not a bad case, but nether-the-less I'd have preferred a sore arm.

GROWLER
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Grasshopper

« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2011, 03:46:01 am »
Got my flu shot two weeks ago. That night I had a low-grade fever. I was worried but the next day I was fine. It could be just the side effect of the shot.

That's a (good) sign that you body has recognized the flu shot, and is making antibodies against the flu strains that were included in the vaccine.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:47:54 am by Grasshopper »

Offline vaguesbleues

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 05:15:49 am »
I got my first flu shot EVER at my doctor's appointment yesterday.  I never thought it was important to get the flu vaccine until I tested positive earlier this year.  I made it a point to get it as I want to do the very best I can to prevent getting sick.  While I've always been pretty health conscious (compared to most of my friends), I swear, getting HIV diagnosis only made it that much more important to me!
3/10/11 - HIV-
4/26/11 - Inconclusive WB
5/19/11 - HIV+, VL < 50, T-Cell 747 (30%)
6/13/11 - VL 345, T-Cell 841 (30%)
8/23/11 - VL 50,100, T-Cell 1155 (19%) - CMV
9/18/11 - Started Atripla
11/7/11 - VL 489, T-Cell 881 (31%)
2/8/12 - VL Undetectable!, T-Cell 772 (34%)
8/8/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1070 (42%)
11/5/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1174 (35%)
3/18/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 972 (28%)
10/4/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 1025 (34%)
2/9/14 - VL UD
7/31/14 - VL UD
1/29/15 - VL UD, T-Cell 1027 (32%)
9/15/15 - VL UD
10/21/16 - VL UD, T-cell 765 (39%)
4/28/17 - VL 29
8/17 - started Genvoya
10/27/17 - VL UD, T-cell 880 (35%)
3/30/18 - VL UD
9/28/18 - VL UD, T-cell 980 (34%)
4/19/19 - VL UD
10/18/19 - VL UD
10/22/20 - VL UD, T-cell 1005 (35%)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:14 am »
I've been getting a flu shot every year since I was diagnosed and I got this year's a few weeks ago. Last year, I felt a bit fluey for a day or two, but this year I felt fine.  I asked the nurse if they'd been getting reports of reactions this year and she said not one so far, but last year it was quite common. A mild reaction is nothing to worry about.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline jacken

« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2011, 01:09:51 pm »
That's a (good) sign that you body has recognized the flu shot, and is making antibodies against the flu strains that were included in the vaccine.

Grasshopper, thank you for reassuring. It is good to know. It was my first flu shot in my life but now will make sure that I get it every year now.

Offline next2u

« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2011, 08:21:03 pm »
yeah, i got mine today. i didnt tell the nurse i wasn't feeling too hot though.

when i showed up they had two vaccines for me. i started gardasil today. guess my gp pushed it through.

best,
d
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline ds4146

« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2011, 09:31:03 pm »
I am the living proof that you don't need a flu vaccine (in my case).

Knock on wood, and now that I am putting this into writing the odds are against me, but I have never received a flu shot and have no intentions of getting one this year either.

I work out regularly, don't smoke, love red wine, and don't eat imitation Mexican breakfast foods or chips from a gas station.  :D

Offline olliederp

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 10:47:26 pm »
all of that but you don't wash your hands?  :P

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 10:58:49 pm »
Knock on wood, and now that I am putting this into writing the odds are against me, but I have never received a flu shot and have no intentions of getting one this year either.

I work out regularly, don't smoke, love red wine, and don't eat imitation Mexican breakfast foods or chips from a gas station.  :D

None of which protected you from HIV, nor will it protect you from the influenza.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline DiggerDive

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 11:33:36 pm »
If you lived in Austin I'd offer to drive you to one of my flu clinics.  Get it.  It works. 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2011, 12:18:31 am »
None of which protected you from HIV, nor will it protect you from the influenza.

HUGS,

Mark

Mark, you are an angel. It is upstanding of you to reply in a way far differently than I would have.  People who take their own health (and those of others) so cavalierly are idiots. Flu is a danger to public health. It's a danger to MY health.

When I get a flu shot, I am thankful for the years it works. But if some idiot skates around town with the flu because he thought he was superman and snags me with a case before my shot, or before it kicks in, he's done me real harm.

Thousands of people, many elderly and with weakened immune systems, DIE of the lfu every year. Many of THOSE thanks to idiots who think they are better than biology, who stumble into a Walgreens while people like myself are waiting to get our meds, handling stuff, sneezing and breathing virus all over us.

All because they are "stronger" than the flu, stronger than me.

Fuckers.

Welcome Thread

Offline DiggerDive

« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:38 am »
Mark, you are an angel. It is upstanding of you to reply in a way far differently than I would have.  People who take their own health (and those of others) so cavalierly are idiots. Flu is a danger to public health. It's a danger to MY health.

When I get a flu shot, I am thankful for the years it works. But if some idiot skates around town with the flu because he thought he was superman and snags me with a case before my shot, or before it kicks in, he's done me real harm.

Thousands of people, many elderly and with weakened immune systems, DIE of the lfu every year. Many of THOSE thanks to idiots who think they are better than biology, who stumble into a Walgreens while people like myself are waiting to get our meds, handling stuff, sneezing and breathing virus all over us.

All because they are "stronger" than the flu, stronger than me.

Fuckers.

+798 (that's my CD4 count) :-)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2011, 12:31:57 am »
+798 (that's my CD4 count) :-)

A high T cell count means nothing when it comes to the flu - or for the chances of you spreading it to others. Others who might not be as fortunate.

Which was my point.

*modified to add:

As someone who at least WAS a manager for the implementation of a flue prevention campaign for a "major metropolitan area" this should be a very evident point.  Everyone has the right to be reckless with their own life. They earn my scorn when they become reckless with others'

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28650.msg352702#msg352702
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:35:35 am by jkinatl2 »

Welcome Thread

Offline edfu

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2011, 12:33:10 am »
What is the difference between those who do not believe in the efficacy of the flu vaccination and those who do not believe in the efficacy of Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy (HAART)?  

Just asking.  
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2011, 01:08:10 am »
What is the difference between those who do not believe in the efficacy of the flu vaccination and those who do not believe in the efficacy of Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy (HAART)? 

Just asking. 

Thank you -- I'm glad I've not been the only one noticing the similarity in the line of thinking here. Influenza Denialism...

Offline bocker3

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2011, 07:51:16 am »
Thank you -- I'm glad I've not been the only one noticing the similarity in the line of thinking here. Influenza Denialism...

Denial is exactly what a virus needs to continue existing.

So many people equate sheer, dumb luck with efficacy of their views/actions.  Ex.  I don't get a flu shot, workout, eat right and have never gotten the ful -- therefore, my actions have stopped me from getting the flu. 
The reality is more likely that other people who DID get their shots have helped you avoid the flu.

Similar to folks who "only bareback with healthy looking people" and remain negative, think they know how to spot a positive person -- someday their dumb liuck will run out.

Get a shot -- YOU CAN NOT GET THE FLU FROM THE FLU SHOT.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2011, 09:15:47 am »

But if some idiot skates around town with the flu because he thought he was superman and snags me with a case before my shot, or before it kicks in, he's done me real harm.

Many of THOSE thanks to idiots who think they are better than biology, who stumble into a Walgreens while people like myself are waiting to get our meds, handling stuff, sneezing and breathing virus all over us.

Those are the idiots who piss me off royally too. The ones who think it's some kind of weakness to stay home when they're sick. The ones who go to work or out shopping for non-necessities. The idiots who spread their germs. Yeah, and they don't run the risk of getting thrown in jail for doing so, but yet we can be jailed for attempted murder for spitting on someone. What about the idiots who go out spreading a potentially lethal dose of influenza?

grrrrrrrrrrrr
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2011, 10:14:05 pm »
Those are the idiots who piss me off royally too. The ones who think it's some kind of weakness to stay home when they're sick. The ones who go to work or out shopping for non-necessities. The idiots who spread their germs. Yeah, and they don't run the risk of getting thrown in jail for doing so, but yet we can be jailed for attempted murder for spitting on someone. What about the idiots who go out spreading a potentially lethal dose of influenza?

grrrrrrrrrrrr

I've been behind 4 people in just the last few weeks pushing their very sick children in the grocery store and Bed Bath and Beyond.  All of these kids were very noticeably ill--sweating, coughing up a lung, and looking awful.  I realize parents (especially single parents) have to run chores and can't always get a babysitter.  But, I would hope they would ask someone first to go to the grocery for them.  When they know their child is sick, stock up.  Or, just plan ahead.  I realize many rely on food assistance and have to go to the store when they can.  But, the three I saw appeared well off to me, loading their groceries into their Mercedes.  And, there is just no excuse for going to Bed, Bath, and Beyond when you're sick.  That spatula can wait.  And, I know it is not good for those kids to be out when it is raining and so sick.   

If we can be jailed even with disclosure, then I want people diagnosed with the flu to have to disclose and forced to stay at home.  I'm joking here, but just a little.  A lot of the flu flourishes in schools.  I think it should be mandatory that students get flu shots every year--just like they are required to get other vaccinations.  Although, some parents are getting around those and we're seeing old diseases popping up.  Our public schools offered free flu shots to all students a few weeks ago.  Only about a quarter got them.  I just can't imagine the others decided to go to their doc for them and pay the office visit fee and fee for the shot.  I have no doubt they just didn't get them.  So, their kids get the flu, they send them on to school, and take them out to stores. 

And, the problem here in the U.S. with being sick is that many lower-paying jobs may give you 3 sick days a year, if that.  So, people feel they have to go to work for the money, but also so they don't get into trouble.  I remember some of the first jobs I got.  They acted like 3 sick days a year was generous.  And, you were very lucky if you got a week vacation after one year on the job.  I remember when I got my first job that came with a full month of combined vacation, sick, and personal days.  I was shocked!       

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 10:47:46 pm »
If we can be jailed even with disclosure, then I want people diagnosed with the flu to have to disclose and forced to stay at home.

Right before I went on vacation I attended a staff meeting and one of my coworkers was coughing during the meeting and looked ill. After it concluded someone asked if she was okay. She said she had just been to the doctor and diagnosed with strep throat. We were all upset and told her we didn't appreciate her exposing us. She said she felt she had to come because she had been reprimanded for missing meetings. To top it off this woman is a nurse. Of course I was infected and ended up at a "doc in the box" in Los Angeles at the first symptoms. I'm on antibiotics.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2011, 08:24:00 am »
We were all upset and told her we didn't appreciate her exposing us. She said she felt she had to come because she had been reprimanded for missing meetings. To top it off this woman is a nurse.

What a f......

She's probably missed those other meetings for reasons not important and now wants to prove a point to all of you by coming in with strep.  She more than likely made sure to cough freely and touch every door knob she could get her clammy little hands on.

I hope you feel better Ford.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.