Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:27:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The flu  (Read 9392 times)

Offline skeebo1969

The flu
« on: November 11, 2006, 10:55:18 pm »

I had a flu shot about three weeks ago during my lab work.   The last few days I have been sick.   My cough is really getting bad with allot of congestion.   I was supposed to go to the doctors yesterday and with that visit my doc was most likely going to start me on meds.  I could not get out of bed for the long drive so I stayed home.   I just couldn't do it.  Now I'm a little worried...  I am beginning to wonder if I am coming down with brochitus..  I still am unable to eat that much, not because of pain anymore but because my stomach just gets so upset.   I took my necklace off today because it is getting lower and lower around my neck due to the weight loss and I got tired of the reminder every time it slapped my boney chest...

When I start coughing afterwards I am tired ... could this be Brochitus?

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
Re: The flu
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 11:16:35 pm »
Are you running a fever? If so, how high? It could be pneumonia, it could be bronchitis.  How is your breathing? Is it labored, can you talk without getting 'out of breath'?  If you get worse, I'd suggest a visit to the ER if your doc isn't able to see you on the weekend.  If you are going to hold out till Monday (I'd suggest not waiting too long), get someone to drive you to the Doc.

Hope you are feeling better!! It sucks to be sick :(
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 11:20:07 pm »
Hey Tom,

If the problem persits, by all means DO check it out with your Doctor.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 11:27:31 pm »

I have not been having difficulty talking..lol, I just hate when I don't respond to myself ::)  Maybe I am just being paranoid.

Thanks guys

Thomas

Offline joemutt

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 11:35:27 pm »
I used to take a flue shot but I stopped it because I wd get the flue anyway
just ick and tired of the shot AND the flue  :-\

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 06:16:53 am »
Tom,

Hopefully it will not be the flu. Maybe just a cold starting. Either way, monitor your temperature, take some vitamin-C, drink plenty of fluids, and try to eat well. And make sure to rest !!

Finally, As a former smoker, I can only urge you to try to give up smoking. I read one of your post, where I believe you stated you were a two to three pack a day smoker !!! Major ouch I know this is something that you really don't want to hear, but the fact remains , smoking is just not good for you. Try to cut back if you can...

Take care of yourself------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 06:54:33 am »
Tom,

There is no way for us to know what your problem is, but really bud, there are few things like this that can really come out good if you don't take care of yourself.  I gotta side with the rest of the guys, you need to get yourself taken care of.  IF you are carrying a low fever each day; there is every possibility that you are coming down with PCP, which is nothing to mess with.  You must get to a doctor to see just what is going on.  Otherwise the obvious choice would be waiting until you are totally incapacitated and then call for an ambulance.  I know you wouldn't want to do that.  You have to be taken care of with PCP, because it is a killer. 

In Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Jena

• To God Be The Glory!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 08:22:21 am »
Tom
 I agree with everyone else, you need to see the doctor ASAP. Especially since you arent on meds yet and as you stated you expected
the doc  was going o start them now. It could be  PCP and Honey, you need to  get strong to fight that monster! You already know this but smoking sure isnt helping either.
Please, dont wait to long!
Hugs
Jena

Offline Christine

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 11:09:42 am »
I agree with everyone else. I think it is time to see the doctor. You don't want to let it get worse.

There are a few things which cause me to call the doctor right away:cough, fever, rash, serious diarrhea or vomiting. If I experience any of those symptoms, it is off to the doctor's office.

The way I look at it, it is better to have the doctor say- don't worry it is just a cold; than to have waited and end up with pneumonia or a bad intestinal problem.

Please call the doctor!!

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 12:46:40 pm »

private
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 11:09:30 am by skeebo1969 »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 01:04:19 pm »
Tom,

I hope you will call the doctor on Monday.  This sounds like it might be serious.
Like Ray says, I'm sure the smoking is playing a big role in this, and like Tim says, it could possibly be PCP, but you definitely need to find out what is going on.

Take care of yourself Tom!   

Keeping you in my prayers,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 01:30:35 pm »
Tom, no matter what hospital you go to you can sign an indigent form that will take care of the high costs. Make sure you use one of the county paid hospitals and more than likely you won't see a bill.

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 02:10:20 pm »
Skeebo - PLEASE go to the doctor or hospital and get your self checked out.  One visit to the hospital is not going to cause you to lose your house, but the lack of a visit could cause you to lose a lot more. 

And please let us know when you are back, and what the results are.

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 02:26:04 pm »
Thomas,

I suggest you call the 25 year old again and ask him to take you now.  I fear that if you wait till Wednesday, you won't have the energy to make the phone call.

Please do get better.
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline Teresa

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 03:18:26 pm »
Thomas,

I hope you decide to go to the ER before you get any worse. This isnt anything to play around with.

Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Please keep us posted!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2006, 04:47:41 pm »
Tom,

Apology accepted.  Please forget what is in the past and cannot be changed.  We only have today, because tomorrow is only a dream, and yesterday is history. 

Tom, I guess you have been advised by the best, and there seems to be a consensus that you find some way to bring this thing to an end, and act sooner than later.

Let me tell you; I have worn your shoes, and they suck!  We waited to go to the hospital for too long and I nearly checked out.  Wasn't funny then and it aint in memory.  Please do something at the very latest, tomorrow morning.  First off, you must check into Ryan White, as there is coverage to help you keep your home.  There is no reason to not seek care just because of your home.  I know you have loads of other complex issues, and those are not making it any easier.  Thing is Tom, if you aint here to live in the home 'cause you are dead, then I guess it would have been far to large a waste.  You are far more valuable than a box of wood and sheetrock. 

Please see the Love in this note.  :)

In Love,
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2006, 07:59:31 pm »
HI Thomas.

I was driving home from the food store and thinking about you.  Why don't you call your 25 year old tonight and have him swing by tomorrow?    I can't remember if you are on meds yet or not or if you have an ASO caseworker.  That is what you have to do this week.  Get that caseworker, get Ryan White and you'll be in like flint.  Or, before you know it, you'll be checking out. 

I would give anything to be there and show you the way.

robert

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2006, 08:54:21 pm »

private
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 11:08:47 am by skeebo1969 »

Offline Longislander

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2006, 09:06:40 pm »
Hey Thomas, I've been watching this thread, and I'm really glad you didn't wait.  Get plenty of rest and fluids and get better quickly. And , btw, cut waaayy back on them smokes! (yeah, I'm a smoker , too. Don't do as I do, do as I say!)
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Nadine

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2006, 09:17:38 pm »
Thomas,

I'm glad you went to the hospital. Now just make sure you take good care of yourself!

Love ya!

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2006, 09:46:51 pm »
Thomas,

So glad you went!! Now you can start the antibiotics and get to feeling better!  As for Rales, I looked it up, sounds to me just a symptom of your bronchitis:

Rales
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Name of Symptom/Sign:
Rales
Classifications and external resources ICD-10 R09.8
ICD-9 786.7
Rales, crackles or crepitation, are the clicking, rattling, or crackling noises heard on auscultation of the lungs with a stethoscope during inhalation. The sounds are caused by the "popping open" of small airways and alveoli collapsed by fluid, exudate, or lack of aeration during expiration.

Rales can be heard in patients with pneumonia, atelectasis, acute bronchitis, and severe bronchitis. Pulmonary edema secondary to left-sided congestive heart failure can also cause rales.

The sound of rales
Crackles (or rales) are caused by fluid in the small airways or atelectasis. Crackles are referred to as discontinuous sounds; they are intermittent, nonmusical and brief. Crackles may be heard on inspiration or expiration. The popping sounds produced are created when air is forced through respiratory passages that are narrowed by fluid, mucus, or pus. Crackles are often associated with inflammation or infection of the small bronchi, bronchioles, and alveoli.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:02 am »

private
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 11:10:08 am by skeebo1969 »

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2006, 10:33:17 am »
Thomas, please keep that appointment with the doc. I know, a 170-miles trip is a pain, but I believe you need to see someone who will give you more than a quick listen and a "take Tylenol."

I have recurring bouts of bronchitis. It often feels like having someone rip out your lungs with a pair of grappling hooks. While mine is chronic, yours may be acute, hence the rales.

There are inhalers that can really ease the situation. I am surprised the urgent care doc didn't give you one, or at least prescribe one. Advair works great, or for more immediate relief Ventolin is good.

Regardless, please drink lots and lots of water, juice or non-caffeinated or non-carbonated beverages. Dehydration can make you feel like crap. (Been there myself.)

Please take good care of yourself and let us know what happens.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: November 13, 2006, 10:35:56 am by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Robert

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2006, 11:30:23 am »
Thomas.

Keep the appoinment on WEd.  And ask your Dr if she has a referral for Jacksonville.  When you get back, at least find yourself a social worker in the area who can help you with Ryan White and other services available. 

I'm really not one to talk.  My Dr is 200 miles away and I dread the day I get sick like you and have to drive to see her.  Now I go every 3 months and that's doable,  I don't have a social worker here either.  But as our friend Longislander says, "Do as I say, not as I do."

robert

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 11:35:43 am »
My mother had a rection to this years flu shot. Low fever. Maybe you are having a reaction to it as well. But the cought is something she did not suffer.
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline bobik

• My worksite
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2006, 01:27:36 pm »
Hey Thomas,

The weightloss is what worries me. Why do you loose weight so quickly, how long has this been going on? Please keep your doctors appointment. The earlier you get treatment, the lower the costs will be.

Take care

Hug

Coen
Coen Honig at Facebook

Offline IzPoz

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2006, 08:07:25 pm »
I agree with Coen... the weight loss is worrisome....

Did the urgent care doc give you antibiotics, inhalers.... anything?

:-* Hoping you get better soon, and please do load up on the water and such... it will help to flush everything out of your lungs.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.