Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:15:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773210
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 540
Total: 542

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Facial Fillers and HIV Cure  (Read 9891 times)

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
Facial Fillers and HIV Cure
« on: November 22, 2006, 05:42:48 pm »
Something just crossed my mind with all this talk about facial and butt fillers. So what happens if a cure for hiv/aids is discovered and we are here for it with our faces and asses full of man made fillers? What will happen when our body starts growing back the lost fat? Will those permanent fillers affect or deform the body? Has anybody ever thought of this?  ???
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
Re: Facial Fillers and HIV Cure
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2006, 08:24:51 pm »
Well if it's an actual implant, then it can be removed with little scarring (watch Nip/Tuck). Fillers are a completely different product..they are typically absorbed by the body over time.  products like Restylane and Juvederm are for nasolabial folds (lines from the nose down around the mouth..aka smile lines) and last 4-6 mos. A product called Radiesse was just recommended for approval by an FDA recently (final approval should come soon) for aesthetic and lipoatrophy purposes. Its clinical data shows results upwards of a year or more. Downside is that there are tiny micruspheres in the injection that help to stimulate collagen growth and these can cause granulomas in a patient's face albeit a low % of patients. Another product called Sculptra was approved last year specifically for facial wasting and clinical results have been good for 2 yrs or more.  The flip side of this is cost. Treatments for Restylane or Juvederm will run about $500 depending where you live.  The latter two will likely be $1,000 - $2,000. Not sure if sculptra is covered by insurance for HIV patients.

Best thing is to talk to a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2006, 09:39:17 pm »
Thanks for your reply. I'm considering radiesse but I'm having afterthoughts. Pricey at $800 for each injection. The doc said I needed about 4. I might at least do two and if it looks good, find the bucks for the second two.
I know it's temporary but permanent fillers freak me out. I'm still undecided about going through with the procedure because I'm very picky about my face and am very tied to my looks. I like my face with the lipo but it bothers me when I'm asked at work if I have lost weight. I haven't. If I do have the procedure it will be during mid December before new years.That way co-workers will say "Hey man, have you been munching a lot this x-mas!" Happy Thanksgiving.
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline chadnla

• Relaxed in SoCal
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:46 pm »
well good luck with it. Radiesse will be a popular product generally just because it lasts longer. If you did Restylane, you're probably looking at 3 treatment sessions over the course of a year which equates to $1200-$1500 so Radiesse is probably better from a cost standpoint.

take before and after photos.  maybe post them for others if you're satisfied with the treatment.

best,
chad
"I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing."

Offline burky

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2006, 01:24:27 am »
Ahhhhh.... youngsters.  After the cure for Aids arrives I suggest the prudent response is still not to remove your fillers as you will need them in a few years to prevent the natural lipodystrophy of aging.  Just consider yourself well prepared!  ;D  Of course maybe they will solve aging too however I'm quite sure we'll see the cure for Aids first! :D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.