Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:08:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773266
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 332
Total: 332

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada side effects  (Read 4266 times)

Offline Bob

Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada side effects
« on: April 23, 2010, 04:47:17 pm »
Hey guys! I'm new to this site and don't know all the etiquette yet, so I apologize if this topic is too redundant. (I searched the forums but only found bits and pieces of answers.)

I started this combo in January after an eight-month meds break while my doctor tried to figure out why a couple of my liver enzymes were high. I wasn't really aware of any side effects at first, but in the last couple of months I'm really aware of bloating and gas (and occasionally diarrhea, but not much). I'm guessing Norvir (100 mg) is the culprit, because my partner just started a mostly different combo that also includes Norvir, and he's got the same issue.

All the info I've seen so far indicated side effects eventually would subside, but I'm still bloated after four months on this combo. I take my meds in the morning with breakfast: corn flakes with blueberries, a banana and non-fat milk. I'm starting to wonder, based on what I've read today, if including more fat with breakfast and meds would help with the gas.

I realize everyone responds differently to meds, but any experiences or advice would be appreciated. Thanks, and I look forward to learning a lot about HIV and meds on this site. Cheers!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Reyataz/Norvir/Truvada side effects
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 05:57:30 pm »
Maybe someone else can confirm but I'm pretty sure Truvada (with it's miraculous side effect profile) makes you gassy.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:04 pm »
I suspect what Hellraiser said is true, it's the tenofovir in the Truvada.  However, could be any of the meds (except perhaps the emtracitabine in Truvada, this would be unusual).  Food, like a real meal, tend to make ite less so, and it does pass with time (trust me I know personally, and so do my colleagues...)

The alternative to Truvada is Epzicom/Kivexa (abacavir + 3TC) which does not cause bloating, but may increase your risk of heart attack (whether this is important depends on your baseline risk, 1% to 2% means not much difference but 5% to 10% maybe it does).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Bob

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 08:42:11 am »
Hey guys, thanks for the information!

I hadn't even considered the Truvada before, but now I learn that my partner also is taking that drug as well. So maybe it is the Truvada instead of the Norvir. I've taken Viread before, didn't have this problem, but maybe taking it with the other component of Truvada is what's causing the gas. Anyway, gonna see my doc next week, so I'll ask. In the meantime, I'm going to change my daily dose to evening meal, which is larger than breakfast.

Thanks again!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:24:54 am »
The tenofovir contained in Truvada made me quite gassy until I began to take delayed-release, buffered pancreatic enzymes daily, and now I rarely have any issue in that regard.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline BM

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:51:29 am »
Maybe newt could comment on this, but it's my understanding that Viread/Truvada should be taken at the same time as Reyataz and Norvir to lessen the effect tenofovir has on Reyataz blood levels (i.e. to ensure trough levels aren't too low).

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:00:52 am »
Truvada should be taken at the same time as Reyataz and Norvir
one of the purposes of this combination is that it's a once daily dosing. (and no one discussed splitting up this combo) There isn't much sense to even trying to spilt only three pills into multiple dosing times. ;)

leatherman
(who recently switched from videx ec to truvada to move to only dosing once a day)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline BM

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 09:40:43 pm »
(and no one discussed splitting up this combo)

Oops, you're right. I misunderstood what Bob said.  :-[

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.