Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 384
Total: 385

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Sleep pattern is starting to deteriorate  (Read 12179 times)

Offline Ac75088

Sleep pattern is starting to deteriorate
« on: July 30, 2011, 02:52:51 am »
Don't know what the F is wrong with me and why I'm now starting to not sleep thru the night, and I have tried my best to keep to myself and not vent about it here, but it's 2am and I am wide awake and a few hours away from having to work...A few weeks ago it was just feeling tired all day and I was sleeping then..but over the past week and a half it's been going downhill..a grown ass man should never cry over lost sleep but I'm so frustrated now I'm on the verge of tears because my days are so so long and tiring now..Thank God I have my Mix 102.9 to listen to while I just lay here..Im already on blood pressure medication AND HIV medication..I'm afraid I'm gonna have to go crawling to my doctor for something to make me sleep better now.

Offline buginme2

Re: Sleep pattern is starting to deteriorate
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 04:18:02 am »
Insomnia sucks!   Have you tried melatonin?  500mgs usually does the trick and its very mild.  If that doesnt work there is always the presceiption route.  Or warm milk, camomile tea, sex!!
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 06:39:07 pm »
No buginme I have not tried that..anything is worth a try now...the PM over the counter stuff hasn't been workin too good

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 08:26:50 pm »
anxiety?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 12:53:31 am »

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 02:10:52 am »
3mg of melatonin helps a lot :)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 06:13:20 am »
I can't remember if you're on Atripla but anxiety and a lack of feeling rested after sleep is what's putting me off the drug.

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:11 am »
I have the same problem, but i've always had that problem, fallling asleep and staying that way.  My doctor put me on ambien, I love it, but you have to know that there is a possibility of getting dependent on them.  Honestly now since i've taken it so long I dont believe i could sleep without it. 

its kind of a double edge sword I either take it and get my rest or I stop taking it and  get no sleep/rest.  The vitamin route 'melatonin' and stuff like that did nothing for me. i've tried other prescription sleep aids like lunesta, restoril, but they didn't work very well I ended up back wiith the ambien.

11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 09:37:28 am »
Insomnia sucks!   Have you tried melatonin?  500mgs usually does the trick and its very mild.  If that doesnt work there is always the presceiption route.  Or warm milk, camomile tea, sex!!

3mg of melatonin helps a lot :)

Just because our bodies produce melatonin naturally doesn't make it necessarily a safe or desirable chemical to put into your body artificially.

Here we have two recommendation for melatonin by forum members - at two very different dosages. One reputable website says, "Dosage is based on your age, medical condition, and response to treatment."

The same website also includes the following information:

melatonin - oral (cont.)

PRECAUTIONS: Before taking melatonin, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to it; or to other ingredients in this product; or if you have any other allergies. This product may contain inactive ingredients, which can cause allergic reactions or other problems. Talk to your pharmacist for more details.

If you have any of the following health problems, consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product: diabetes, high blood pressure, immune system disorder, liver disease, mental/mood disorder (e.g., depression), seizure disorder (e.g., epilepsy).

This drug may make you dizzy or drowsy. Do not drive, use machinery, or do any activity that requires alertness until you are sure you can perform such activities safely. Limit alcoholic beverages.

Liquid forms of this product may contain sugar, alcohol, or aspartame. Caution is advised if you have diabetes, alcohol dependence, liver disease, phenylketonuria (PKU), or any other condition that requires you to limit/avoid these substances in your diet. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about using this product safely.

Caution is advised when using this product in children due to a possible risk of changes in sexual development. Consult the doctor for details.

This product is not recommended for use in women who are pregnant or planning pregnancy. It may have an effect on the release of eggs (ovulation). Consult your doctor for details. It is not known whether this product passes into breast milk. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

DRUG INTERACTIONS: If you are taking this product under your doctor's direction, your doctor or pharmacist may already be aware of any possible drug interactions and may be monitoring you for them. Do not start, stop, or change the dosage of any medicine before checking with your doctor or pharmacist first.

Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all prescription and nonprescription medications you may use, especially of: "blood thinners" (e.g., warfarin, heparin), blood pressure medications (especially nifedipine), products that contain caffeine (including coffee, tea, some sodas), drugs that may affect your immune system (e.g., azathioprine, cyclosporine, prednisone), fluvoxamine.

Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you also take drugs that cause drowsiness such as: certain antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine), anti-seizure drugs (e.g., carbamazepine), other medicine for sleep or anxiety (e.g., alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem), muscle relaxants, narcotic pain relievers (e.g., codeine), psychiatric medicines (e.g., chlorpromazine, risperidone, amitriptyline, trazodone).

Check the labels on all your medicines (e.g., cough-and-cold products) because they may contain ingredients that may cause drowsiness. Ask your pharmacist about using those products safely.

This document does not contain all possible interactions. Therefore, before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist of all the products you use. Keep a list of all your medications with you, and share the list with your doctor and pharmacist.
source

In addition, Brent A. Bauer, M.D., who answers questions on the website of the world-renown Mayo Clinic, has this to say about melatonin...

Question
Melatonin side effects: What are the risks?
I'm considering taking melatonin to help me sleep. What do I need to know about melatonin side effects?
Answer
from Brent A. Bauer, M.D.

The hormone melatonin helps control your natural sleep-wake cycle. Your natural levels of melatonin in the blood are highest just before bedtime. But if you're thinking of taking melatonin supplements to treat insomnia, there's little evidence that taking melatonin supplements will help you fall asleep significantly faster or help you stay asleep longer. However, melatonin may be helpful in treating jet lag.

If you choose to take melatonin supplements, melatonin side effects may include:

Daytime sleepiness
    Dizziness
    Headaches
    Abdominal discomfort
    Confusion
    Sleepwalking
    Nightmares

Melatonin may interact with various medications, including:

Blood-thinning medications (anticoagulants)
    Immunosuppressants
    Diabetes medications
    Birth control pills

It's thought that taking melatonin for longer than two months may be harmful, and the best dose of melatonin isn't certain. If you take melatonin, be careful during daytime activities, such as driving or operating heavy machinery. Talk to your doctor before taking melatonin, especially if you have any other health conditions.

If you take melatonin, make sure the supplements are made of artificial ingredients, not made from animals. Melatonin from animals can contain viruses or other contaminants.
source

I would advise caution when taking melatonin and make sure you talk to your doctor or pharmacist to discuss possible drug interactions with meds you are already taking. Please also keep in mind that melatonin is NOT regulated by the FDA, so you can never really be sure of what you're getting.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Billy B

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 12:45:40 pm »
Ann- Thank you for posting about the fact that melatonin is not harmless. I tried it and got splitting headaches and confusion.
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 12:59:21 pm »
AC,

Sorry your going through this. Insomnia is horrible, and it fucks with your mind also.

If you end up talking to your doctor you might ask him about Trazodone, I take it and it is a life saver. It's an older anti-depressant but it is used more these days for sleep issues. It allows me to go to sleep with about 20 minutes of taking it and I get good deep sleep and can wake up in the morning with no cloudiness or hangover effects.

Just a thought.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 01:38:51 pm »
 Have you tried melatonin?  500mgs usually does the trick and its very mild. 

I didn't know they make it in that dose.  The largest dose I've seen is 10mg, which I do use on occasion.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 04:48:22 pm »
Another combo? There are lots. Sleep and sanity is important

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 06:09:41 pm »
Another combo?

This is a tricky one... I am confronted with.

I have a mild anxiety/stress disorder that I now blame the meds for.

I just can't believe it is psychologic only (although that is what my doctor sugggested)

It is mild but bearable.

hardly noticeable but it is every day. Should I consider a switch or bear with it? that's a tough one...

Ac75088 : I did not have sleep issues for the first few months (or if I had, they would be somehow expected). Anxiety and (consequently) sleep disorder appeared at month 2, then resolved somehow, slowly. It is still in the background.

I'll try the melatonin...

I was talking to a friend who is taking meds to fight  a tricky colon cancer. He described his side effects.

Its horrendous and he has no options. I was speechless ... What I endure is nothing compare to what he is going through.

One think is sure, it seems that some people need a bit of time before they can get adjusted to their medication.

Hope you will find peace soon

Eric

NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 10:06:37 pm »
Thanks everyone for your replies...I'm not real sure what is causing my lack of sleep...I don't wanna believe it's the Atripla, because I've been doing good with it since starting, and I was getting enough sleep for a good while, just with morning grogginess...It could be anything from work stress to summer fatigue (Im in Dallas and the heat is unbearable during the day)..whatever it may be I'm gonna definately talk to my doc about something I can take for it..I only woke up once last night so that's one improvement..I would love to stay on Atripla as long as I can because it's the easiest combo for me to take..That's why I am hoping it isn't related to that

Offline buginme2

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2011, 12:57:38 am »
I didn't know they make it in that dose.  The largest dose I've seen is 10mg, which I do use on occasion.

Ray

Sorry people I miss spoke.  I checked my Melatonin pill bottle and it is actually 500 Mcg's (micrograms) not milligrams.  So, It is a very small dose. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2011, 08:30:47 am »
Sorry people I miss spoke.  I checked my Melatonin pill bottle and it is actually 500 Mcg's (micrograms) not milligrams.  So, It is a very small dose. 

Well that's a relief! I was imagining you blundering through your days in a melatonin-induced daze.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline newt

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2011, 05:31:47 pm »
I agree it could easily be the heat (<< especially this) or stress, good points.

- matt

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2011, 08:03:51 pm »
the heat is unbearable during the day)..

Here we are experienciencing severe (and unsusual) changes in temperature patterns and I was myself starting to suspect not so much the heat condition itself but the sudden changes.

Hard to say...

Cheers
ERIC
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2011, 09:48:37 am »

And speaking of Melatonin, I caught this on the news today:

Relaxation Brownie:

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/may/23/4/popularity-of-relaxation-brownies-causes-concern-ar-227762/

To the OP, the highest dose of melatonin, that I've seen is 10mgs, which can be purchased at CVS. I don't think Walgreens had that dose.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2011, 09:58:16 am »
And speaking of Melatonin, I caught this on the news today:

Relaxation Brownie:

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2011/may/23/4/popularity-of-relaxation-brownies-causes-concern-ar-227762/

Why don't they just make pot legal and sell proper hash brownies?

The article says the brownies also contain valerian - wonder how they disguise the taste? Valerian is some nasty-tasting shit. :o

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15:26 am »
 :P   I've been taking Melatonin, since 1997.  I started using it, after I went on the graveyard shift.  And it does help you go to sleep in the daytime !

I don't use it that much any more.  I usually end up throwing the pills away because they expired. At the most I've probably used them 10 times within a year.

Here's another link from the news today: The FDA doesn't think it's a" safe food additive"

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/august/289033/FDA-says-relaxation-brownies-are-unsafe

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2011, 11:30:43 am »
Ray, the way you use melatonin is the way it's meant to be used. It's also said to be good for jet-lag.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2011, 11:02:42 am »
Hi, your issues sound similar to mine. Ive been on Atripla for a year and didnt have any issues but a few weeks ago its like someone flipped a switch in my brain and I feel tired, but simply cannot get the extended deep sleep I need. I want to try and avoid prescription meds for it if I can, and I am not sure it is the Atripla causing it. Just makes me wonder why it happened out of the blue. I dont use caffeine or do anything that could cause it. I had been used to having a short morning nap, but have been avoiding that lately due to the nighttime problems. I am going to try melatonin in small dose and see if that makes a difference. I also want to avoid those anti-histamines, as I dont like the ingredients in them. I just want to try and coax my body back into getting some good deep sleep. I hope the Melatonin works, if not, I guess Ill have to try the prescription route. Btw, not sure where to find it, but have also heard some things about valeran root...hang in there.

Offline newt

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2011, 05:19:19 pm »
The alternative to extra meds to ensure sleep, herbal or otherwise, is to change to a new combo. There are plenty of good and simple ones, including 1 x day options. Both management routes are valid.

- matt

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »
The alternative to extra meds to ensure sleep, herbal or otherwise, is to change to a new combo. There are plenty of good and simple ones, including 1 x day options. Both management routes are valid.

- matt

I guess it could be Atripla. I tried dosing in morning once and it just made me feel way too groggy. And go figure I slept none that next night! I suspect it is contributing to my anxiety level
going up too. You mentioned other 1 X day options, what are they? I'm seriously considering asking to try Isentress/Truvada when I see my HIV doc in 2 weeks. I'm just tired of the mental side effects and anxiety I seem to be getting from Atripla. But, it sure was good for me there for awhile.

Offline newt

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2011, 06:42:23 pm »
Viramune can replace the Sustiva (one of the 3 drugs in Atripla). This would mean two tablets once a day (assuming you keep on the other 2 drugs in Atripla, tenofovir and FTC which come in one hand pill called Truvada). Also, Reyataz + a small ritonavir booster or (better to my mind) Prezista + a small ritonavir booster. This would mean either 3 or 4 pills once a day. There are more options but these are the main modern ones on general offer. Isentress/Truvada should also deliver a return to normal sleep patterns, but, strictly speaking, Isentress is a 2 x day med.

- matt

Offline newbieguy

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 07:25:53 pm »
Viramune can replace the Sustiva (one of the 3 drugs in Atripla). This would mean two tablets once a day (assuming you keep on the other 2 drugs in Atripla, tenofovir and FTC which come in one hand pill called Truvada). Also, Reyataz + a small ritonavir booster or (better to my mind) Prezista + a small ritonavir booster. This would mean either 3 or 4 pills once a day. There are more options but these are the main modern ones on general offer. Isentress/Truvada should also deliver a return to normal sleep patterns, but, strictly speaking, Isentress is a 2 x day med.

- matt

Thanks again for the input...So is sleep pretty good with Isentress/Truvada? I would be ok with 2x a day, I dont think I could tolerate Reyetaz because of the yellowing...But I am undecided about which regimen Ill pick. Overall I just want something as easy as Atripla has been to tolerate. I just think the Sustiva part of it is starting to fuck with my mind now that my body is acclamated to it. Also, Isentress/Truvada kind of appeals to me due to me already used to Truvada (in Atripla). When I first started on meds they offered me two regimens: Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada or Atripla....But I know now there are more options. I am going to stick out the Atripla for the next two weeks then if I have many more sleep problems, switch to Isentress/truvada. What would you say is the easiest regimen of all the ones you mentioned and I mentioned? Thanka again! And yay me for almost one year on meds  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.