Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 11:07:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773228
  • Total Topics: 66339
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 245
Total: 245

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Biologists Create Neutralizing Antibody That Shows Increased Potency  (Read 3494 times)

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)

Building Better HIV Antibodies: Biologists Create Neutralizing Antibody That Shows Increased Potency

Current advances in isolating antibodies from HIV-infected individuals have allowed for the discovery of a large number of new, broadly neutralizing anti-HIV antibodies directed against the host receptor (CD4) binding site -- a functional site on the surface of the virus that allows for cell entry and infection. Using a technique known as structure-based rational design, the team modified one already-known and particularly potent antibody -- NIH45-46 -- so that it can target the binding site in a different and more powerful way. A study outlining their process was published in the Oct. 27 issue of Science Express

"NIH45-46 was already one of the most broad and potent of the known anti-HIV antibodies," says Pamela Bjorkman, Max Delbrück Professor of Biology at Caltech and senior author on the study. "Our new antibody is now arguably the best of the currently available, broadly neutralizing anti-HIV antibodies."

More

Offline AlexMerida

Re: Biologists Create Neutralizing Antibody That Shows Increased Potency
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:31:38 pm »
can we  do something... in order to move cure-related research  forward as quickly as possible
We have to organize and give money to the researchers in order to catalyze the new promising therapies.. watch the work of abzyme form Professor Sudhir and the work of prof Loyter with the mix. They are the only one who have succeeded in controlling and eradicating HIV but they need dollars and the big pharmacy...we are the only interested. We do not have much time
As as community we need to stay involved ……
The benefits we have in our  life today  with ARV are because people took risks
I am totally new in these matters,  I jus have been diagnosed and about to start ARV,  and my friends always tell me that I am new and with time I will get used and after all I have my meds for sure that there is nothing to worried  about. But what about the rest of the world….more than halve of the polulation do not have acces to HIV drugs.
It is been 30 years but I do not think that all those year we have the conciseness about that years have passed but I do not think that we have struggled a real  battle it seem more like we are just pretending that we were fighting against HIV.
Friend always tell me that the cure will be in 20 o more and maybe it will be like cancer
Does anyone know the work of Zachary Benett for Abzyme
I contact Yissum the company who will commercialize the inventor  of Dr. Loyter and they told me that they are working on that..in fact de do not have any pharma interested.
so it is been 30 years and is time to believe. Or more accurately it is time to do real work
the  government has done ist part but what about us?
Many people are in the comfort area...but I  would ask them what can you give if you have the chance to be one day free of HIV..it  is possible but we have to catalyze it

Offline AlexMerida

Re: Biologists Create Neutralizing Antibody That Shows Increased Potency
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:51:04 pm »
what is the best way to remember those who have fought against HIV

There are many, from throwing parties in his honor, writing much of their lives, making paintings, talk a lot of them.
 But we would say people who have gone to heaven?
 They are very happy to take our time to remember or would be happier if at least so or continue with the work left unfinished.
 From the sky tell us not to forget your work requires a lot of people in our work
 we have to fight and never stop dreaming with your feet on the ground

The Lady Elizabeth Taylor is a good example
 You can see on Youtube
 from the beginning she fought for the cure and never shuts up and was never in the comfort zone, you can see that when this lady's face spoke unbelief of the people around her.
 You can even see the change in fashion ... imagine what conditions were like before, only one thing has not changed ... people are still dying of AIDS

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.