Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 10, 2024, 05:53:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773457
  • Total Topics: 66366
  • Online Today: 412
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 289
Total: 290

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Access to med in Europe (Non EU visitors)  (Read 7035 times)

Offline henryocho

Access to med in Europe (Non EU visitors)
« on: April 19, 2018, 03:57:05 am »
I and my partner are planning to longer holiday in Europe. We just want to know, if any, which countries are easier access to medicine for visitors, if we can purchase medicine locally. We are from Non-EU countries.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
Re: Access to med in Europe (Non EU visitors)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 04:13:58 am »
Hi

So a few questions for you, to understand the situation better and to help us answer you correctly.

Who's medication are they? Are you both living with HIV?
What hiv meds are you currently taking and how long is the visit for?
What nations are you visiting? Is it all within the "Schengen" treaty area?

Perhaps the most logical question, why can't you bring your meds with you for the duration of the stay?

Jim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 04:25:00 am by JimDublin »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline henryocho

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 11:51:10 pm »
I am not HIV+ but my partner is. We are from non-EU countries. (we do not have resident permit inside the EU)

Here in our country, HIV+ patients only get 30-day medicine every month. They need to see doctor every month and cannot get additional medicine for travel etc, cannot see doctor before they finish medicine. Or cannot change cycle of appointment. So if we will travel overseas, max days we can travel is less than 30 days at the moment, depending on the departure date within the month.

We are hoping to travel within Europe.

Offline Jim Allen

• Administrator
  • Threads: @jim16309
    • Social Media: Threads
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2018, 02:27:34 am »
Right I see.

Can't you convince your partners HIV clinc that due to travel you need an additional once off supply?

See sourcing HIV medication as none resident within the EU can be a real pain , it tends to be very bureaucratic between health insurance and none residency issues regarding costs and it all differs per nation state. There is no EU health system as such.

I asked where in the EU because I am presuming you mean "main land" Europe, once you have a visor visa for a "Schengen area" country, it automatically allows you to travel to the other Schengen countries as well.

UK & Ireland as examples are not Schengen countries, but i know that England have provisions for "free" to the end user HIV medication including visitors and to a degree Ireland also has this, although any other care needed might be charged.

A few other nations have free but only for undocumented migrants but not just visitors as such and only 1 other to my limited knowledge has a provision for people who can't afford the medication regardless of status, meaning free but its a long process and not much good for a short stay.

My advise is if possible source the medication before travelling but if you can't than contact the local NGO's from the nations you plan to visit beforehand to check as they will know the rules better for their nation than we do, and they can advise you what your options could be

Ireland
http://www.hivireland.ie/

UK
http://www.tht.org.uk/

The Netherlands
http://hivvereniging.nl/
servicepunt@hivvereniging.nl

Denmark
https://aidsfondet.dk/
info@aidsfondet.dk

I had a quick look where you are located (Only the moderators can see this) and I will PM you with some details and thought on sourcing meds closer to home before traveling to the EU.

Anyhow wishing you both the best and hope you enjoy the trip.

Jim

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/212952/DH-Guidance-HIV-and-NHS-Charging-fORMATED.pdf

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2012/10/08/162510446/england-offering-free-hiv-treatment-for-visitors

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-nationals/index_en.htm

P.S

I moved your post to "Someone I Care About Has HIV" this section is for friends, family and loved ones of people living with HIV and you can post here.

Best

Jim
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:46:47 pm by POZ Forum Moderators »
HIV 101 - Everything you need to know
HIV 101
Read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
Read about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
Read about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

My Instagram
Threads

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2018, 07:42:53 am »
Check specifically the country you are going to.  What Jim says, there is no uniform standard.  Many of the countries are good about migrants and exiles - but those people are LIVING here.  A tourist needing a bottle of Atripla, for example - I don't know..... The retail price of the drugs are HIGH in Europe by the way. First world pricing.

Maybe you could go be tourists in Thailand first. But 2 months of the drugs there. Very much cheaper - maybe you can afford that.

Keep 1 month as a safety for your own country (you never know when their might be a shortage - this way you will have a safety.) Use the other month to cover your travel outside your country.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.