Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 11:03:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 231
Total: 232

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Huge Trouble Falling Asleep.  (Read 3870 times)

Offline TheRoof

Huge Trouble Falling Asleep.
« on: May 23, 2011, 03:20:12 am »
This is my first time doing this. I have finally gotten to a point where I HAVE to figure out what is wrong with me. From probably the 5th grade, I have been going to bed latter, and issues waking up early. This continued all the way to high school, but was never necessarily that bothersome.
Then in the morning, I could never wake up. My mom would try over and over again. Now as a 21 year old male. I still have the same problem, except I don't have my mom there to make sure I'm up. My roommate says it's like trying to wake up a dead person. (I stopped asking him at this point, because it's not his responsibility to baby me around)

I have an alarm clock as well as a very loud cell phone alarm. Sometimes I don't hear ANY of them go off. I really don't know what to do. I had a date with a friend and we were supposed to go hiking at ten am. I woke up at 12. I've never felt that horrible in my life before, (This was Wed.) It's a point where it's affecting my friendships, and my life to a huge extreme.

I mean, has anyone had "Similar" problems and what did you do to treat this. Or maybe a friend?

EDIT:

By The Way: I used to suffer from depression and was hospitalized for a suicide attempt when younger (I am 21 now) but my "feelings" were different back then. I had more anxiety, and panic rather than sleep problems (well during the day anyway) 

I use to take (at one point or another), lexapro, rameron (highest dose of 45mg), trazadone 50mg, klonopin 1mg, prozac (lowest dose of 20mg), and pristique (metabolite of effexor) but now am not taking anything.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 03:23:29 am by TheRoof »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Huge Trouble Falling Asleep.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 04:30:30 am »
Let's see.

Confirm please that you are going to sleep really late.  Your post title is having trouble falling asleep.  The text of the post is about having trouble waking up late.

If you are going to sleep really late, you'll still need your 6, 7 , or 8 hours.  So the easiest solution for waking up on time, might be figuring out how to fall asleep earlier.  Not that that is always easy, but there are things you can try. 

Second, you don't mention having a job or studies with a schedule.  If you have a job, what time do you need to wake up?  Anybody who has and wants to keep a job has no choice but to wake up consistently on schedule.  Even people with night jobs have to follow a schedule or they will miss out on all their free time.

Or studies.  I am a college teacher and we all quickly identify the people who can't wake up in the morning and get to class.  I can tell you from years of experience, this does not bode well for their studies nor their future professional lives.  Also, its screws over and disappoints and angers people relying on them to be more or less on time. 

Sleeping pills.
Relaxation before going to bed.
Inviting restful sleeping room.
Avoiding stimulants before bed - no Internet or TV, for example. 
And finally just recognising that you WANT to be part of social, professional or educational activities that require you to be on time, so committing to waking up.

I was a night owl in college myself but noticed in my 20's, when I really really enjoyed my job, I got up on schedule every day for years with no alarm clock whatsoever.  It was a total shock to me.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 05:58:20 pm »
In a way, I can relate, though a bit different.  I go to bed at the same time every night.  My problem is that I wake up during the night, and will stay awake for an hour or more.  Then, I wake up between 3:00 am - 4:00 am, and am awake for the day.  My doctor wanted to put me on Rozerem, but I declined, as I do not want to take sleeping pills. 

For you, you may want to force yourself to get up early, and stay awake all day.  Do it for several days, and see if this abates your getting up late.  I can also relate to not hearing things.  Someone can call me in the late evening, and if I'm asleep, I don't hear it.  I'm no expert on sleep, and this may be something you need to discuss with a professional.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »
In addition to the recommendations that mecch gave, I would suggest having a sleep study done.  I was having some difficulty falling asleep and a lot of difficulty waking up.  In addition, different tricks err, I mean people would tell me that I had an extreme snoring problem.  In addition to doing a blood oxygen test, pulmonary function exam, and a host of other blood work, the doc also ordered a sleep study. 

I was diagnosed as having sleep apnea.  I am getting ready to use a c-pack (?) machine to control the apnea.  Doc had told me that not only is apnea dangerous and can be life threatening, it throws off a person's sleep so that they don't get a good night's rest - have more difficulty falling asleep, and have difficulty waking up - and wake up extremely tired.

Take some or all of the suggestions you have received; talk to your doctor; and perhaps, see about having a sleep study done.  Shaquille O'Neal just found out that he has severe apnea - so, I am in good company.

Best to you - hope you get it worked out.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.